PDA

View Full Version : Scroll touchpad help +rep

Eoin
03-03-2010, 10:01 AM
I have a dell inspiron and I cant get the scroll bar thingy (sorry dont know what its called) on the mouse touchpad to work :S

any ideas?

Catzsy
03-03-2010, 10:09 AM
Try rebooting. Do you mean the scroll button on the mouse? Is it connected properly?

Eoin
03-03-2010, 11:25 AM
Try rebooting. Do you mean the scroll button on the mouse? Is it connected properly?

no its the things on the right side and bottom of the touchpad thing on my laptop
see..
http://i46.tinypic.com/2py2mty.jpg

they control the scroll on screen, but they dont work.

Catzsy
03-03-2010, 11:52 AM
Don't really know what to suggest except to connect a mouse for now or use
Detecting and repairing disk errors You can use the Error-checking tool to check for file system errors and bad sectors on your hard disk.

Open My Computer, and then select the local disk you want to check.
On the File menu, click Properties.
On the Tools tab, under Error-checking, click Check Now.
Under Check disk options, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box

If its an error it may fix it. Hope somebody more techy comes along soon.

DannLea
03-03-2010, 04:24 PM
I always get this problem as well.

Here's what I do to fix it:

There's a driver for the touch pad itself. Mine is called Synaptics Pointing Device on the system tray. Make sure you've got that or something similar.. When you right click on it, it should give you options, such as toggling 'Tap to click'.

If you don't see this, or anything alike, you might want to look into finding something.. I'm not sure which driver your laptop uses, but I'm sure you could find out on the support website (Possibly Live Help, I deal with eMachines, so I have no idea what Dell has tbh :P)

If that fails to work, try rebooting.. that has never failed for me, but I know where you're coming from, rebooting time and time again gets frustrating.. so try downloading a driver or something, maybe try downloading Synaptics (If available) and see if it works, that's only if Dell doesn't give any information on that driver is used etc.

Hope this helps!
Dann

Markeh
03-03-2010, 04:30 PM
Bear in mind the Synaptics Pointing Device icon MAY BE SET NOT TO COME UP IN THE SYSTEM TRAY. However, it should come up in the Control Panel under Mouse, where you can fiddle with settings and you can enable the icon, and therefore enable tap to click.

Eoin
03-03-2010, 04:49 PM
:D
downloaded a driver from dell, installed it, restarted the laptop and its working now :D
the scroll bars work and the touchpad is more sensitive.

thanks! +rep to all
;)

Catzsy
03-03-2010, 04:53 PM
:D
downloaded a driver from dell, installed it, restarted the laptop and its working now :D
the scroll bars work and the touchpad is more sensitive.

thanks! +rep to all
;)

Great to hear! :D

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!