PDA

View Full Version : How does radio one make money

Richie
04-03-2010, 12:41 PM
I'm just curious, just off adverts? surely that wouldn't support them. They need to pay for competitions, equipment, licences and not to mention all there music yet offer pay slips of the djs.

Moved by Jamesy (Forum Super Moderator): From "Technology Discussion"

GommeInc
04-03-2010, 12:47 PM
BBC Radio 1? They have the BBC behind them :P I think they get alot of calls as well which they get some money for through rates via texts and calls.

Quite alot of singers and bands won't take money, some may even give money to Radio 1 to promote them.

Richie
04-03-2010, 12:48 PM
BBC Radio 1? They have the BBC behind them :P I think they get alot of calls as well which they get some money for through rates via texts and calls.

Quite alot of singers and bands won't take money, some may even give money to Radio 1 to promote them.

never thought of that what about local radios etc they wouldnt have large companys behind them.

GommeInc
04-03-2010, 12:53 PM
Local radios tend to have local businesses, advertising companies using them (Heart FM for example) and sponsorship from councils :)

Misawa
04-03-2010, 12:59 PM
BBC is funded by us.

kk.
04-03-2010, 01:01 PM
We pay for all BBC radio stations I thought ? It's why on the BBC channels on tv there are no adverts

as for local radios, they don't have that many competitions, and all the need to pay for is electric, wages, and rent. Plus a few others. They have advertising which goes for quote a lot too, and prob play them more than most radios

Seatherny
04-03-2010, 04:09 PM
I'm just curious, just off adverts? surely that wouldn't support them. They need to pay for competitions, equipment, licences and not to mention all there music yet offer pay slips of the djs.

Moved by Jamesy (Forum Super Moderator): From "Technology Discussion"

Radio One has no adverts. Its not allowed. BBC and all its channels ans radio stations are paid for by TV License.

myke
04-03-2010, 04:12 PM
never thought of that what about local radios etc they wouldnt have large companys behind them.

Quite often you will find that smaller local radio stations in fact do have larger companies running them.

Take the heart network for example, which runs from Global Radio.

Then before that you had the "one network" which was ran by GCAP Media who was bought out by Global early last year.

Alkaz
04-03-2010, 04:24 PM
Quite often you will find that smaller local radio stations in fact do have larger companies running them.

Take the heart network for example, which runs from Global Radio.

Then before that you had the "one network" which was ran by GCAP Media who was bought out by Global early last year.
''The top 10 radio owners with the most listeners
1. BBC (http://www.mediauk.com/owners/16/bbc) national radio (33.2m)
2. Global Radio (http://www.mediauk.com/owners/223/global-radio) (18.1m) ''

The top 10 radio stations with the most listeners
1. BBC Radio 2 (http://www.mediauk.com/radio/310/bbc-radio-2) (13.5m)
2. BBC Radio 1 (http://www.mediauk.com/radio/309/bbc-radio-1) (10.8m)
3. BBC Radio 4 (http://www.mediauk.com/radio/312/bbc-radio-4) (9.9m)
4. Heart (http://www.mediauk.com/search/?searchtype=directory&keyword=Heart) (7.3m)

I wouldn't really call Heart a local radio hehe anyway ye a lot of artists would pay radio stations to play their music if the radio is popular i.e. Simon Cowell might pay a radio station to play the X Factor winners song / Jedward etc.

myke
04-03-2010, 04:28 PM
''The top 10 radio owners with the most listeners
1. BBC (http://www.mediauk.com/owners/16/bbc) national radio (33.2m)
2. Global Radio (http://www.mediauk.com/owners/223/global-radio) (18.1m) ''

The top 10 radio stations with the most listeners
1. BBC Radio 2 (http://www.mediauk.com/radio/310/bbc-radio-2) (13.5m)
2. BBC Radio 1 (http://www.mediauk.com/radio/309/bbc-radio-1) (10.8m)
3. BBC Radio 4 (http://www.mediauk.com/radio/312/bbc-radio-4) (9.9m)
4. Heart (http://www.mediauk.com/search/?searchtype=directory&keyword=Heart) (7.3m)

I wouldn't really call Heart a local radio hehe anyway ye a lot of artists would pay radio stations to play their music if the radio is popular i.e. Simon Cowell might pay a radio station to play the X Factor winners song / Jedward etc.

Local radio meaning local as in it's local to the area.
Some of the shows are networked, agreed, but Ofcom regulates that what is called a "Local" radio station must have atleast I think, 10 hours of Local broadcasting. Heart is a local station, the BRAND heart, is national.

RedStratocas
04-03-2010, 04:29 PM
well if you think about television, there are lots of stations that make their money solely on ads, and they have to pay far more for their programming than any radio station does.

Suspective
04-03-2010, 04:31 PM
Heart only has local programmes in the morning (breakfast) and evening (drivetime) similar to other stations owned by Global Radio (e.g. the Hit Music Network Brand). The only exception to this is CAPITAL FM.

Special
04-03-2010, 04:42 PM
I thought it was the Government :S

alexxxxx
04-03-2010, 04:53 PM
it doesn't make money. it's public service - it's funded via the TV License.

lTraditional
04-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Yes, partly the money comes from the TV licenes we pay while it is all owned by the BBC and thats mainly it but they also get money from the calls and texts.

-:Undertaker:-
04-03-2010, 06:32 PM
The BBC as others have said, funded by the stealth tax known as the license fee. I'll be happy when the day comes on the BBC (which it will do) when its privatised.

kk.
04-03-2010, 06:38 PM
The BBC as others have said, funded by the stealth tax known as the license fee. I'll be happy when the day comes on the BBC (which it will do) when its privatised.
I'm quite happy to pay that tax tbh. Providing soon they make some proper tv

04-03-2010, 08:10 PM
I'm quite happy to pay that tax tbh. Providing soon they make some proper tv

Give people the choice, why should the BBC be privilaged with it when other broadcasters dont have that. Have it all private and thus the corporations will be pressed into wars against eachother which would provide them competing with better programming and lower costs. Like all state-owned industry and business, it knows no bounds with its budget because it can never go bankrupt with treasury backing.

Jordy
04-03-2010, 08:17 PM
While reform is needed at the BBC I think it's an excellent service and I hope it's never privatised. It may well crush competition but frankly it creates it too. If they didn't come along with iPlayer, the others wouldn't of bothered to create their own catch-up services.

It's website is completely unrivalled, very good resource for news and then of course, their news. Their news is completely unrivalled to any other service in the UK, particularly on the international and local scale.

There is also the bonus of having no adverts on their websites, radio and TV Shows but above all, their TV Shows are some of the best. I watch the odd series on Channel 4 and ITV but the BBC is fantastic for comedies and dramas. I couldn't give enough praise to the BBC.

Neversoft
04-03-2010, 09:13 PM
Totally agree, Jordy. Not forgetting to mention the regulations the BBC must follow ensure that they always produce programmes to a very high standard. Imagine coverage of the Olympic Games on a channel like ITV. It isn't a nice thought. The BBC do a fantastic job. You also won't find commerical channels broadcasting programmes aimed at niche audiences like the BBC do either. Theres something on the BBC for everyone.

alexxxxx
04-03-2010, 09:22 PM
Give people the choice, why should the BBC be privilaged with it when other broadcasters dont have that. Have it all private and thus the corporations will be pressed into wars against eachother which would provide them competing with better programming and lower costs. Like all state-owned industry and business, it knows no bounds with its budget because it can never go bankrupt with treasury backing.

sky get a lot of money from millions of people across the country and nothing they produce is anywhere near as good as BBC's output bar Soccer AM. Infact they barely produce anything, they just get discounted imports from FOX.

british tv is envy of the world. the bbc is the worlds biggest and best broadcaster.

04-03-2010, 09:32 PM
While reform is needed at the BBC I think it's an excellent service and I hope it's never privatised. It may well crush competition but frankly it creates it too. If they didn't come along with iPlayer, the others wouldn't of bothered to create their own catch-up services.

It's website is completely unrivalled, very good resource for news and then of course, their news. Their news is completely unrivalled to any other service in the UK, particularly on the international and local scale.

There is also the bonus of having no adverts on their websites, radio and TV Shows but above all, their TV Shows are some of the best. I watch the odd series on Channel 4 and ITV but the BBC is fantastic for comedies and dramas. I couldn't give enough praise to the BBC.

The news is the same as any other broadcaster, news is not news like it used to be; all news now comes from the Reuters News Agency so it makes no difference whether you are watching ITN, BBC or Sky News. As for the adverts I couldn't care less if i'm honest, dont they have adverts for their other programmes anyway so in reality their are still adverts.

sky get a lot of money from millions of people across the country and nothing they produce is anywhere near as good as BBC's output bar Soccer AM. Infact they barely produce anything, they just get discounted imports from FOX.

british tv is envy of the world. the bbc is the worlds biggest and best broadcaster.

Well let the people decide that, if they want the BBC and wish to buy its services over that of the Sky/Virgin services then they can do that because as you say 'its the envy of the world' so i'm sure it would have no trouble in finding customers.

kk.
04-03-2010, 09:40 PM
No, BBC do not have adverts on TV

Markeh
04-03-2010, 09:43 PM
BTW, for anyone who's unclear, GCAP Media/Global Radio also own local stations such as Trent FM (best. station. ever.), Leicester Sound, Capital FM, Xfm, and Galaxy.

Seatherny
04-03-2010, 09:50 PM

knows no bounds with its budget?
Have you not been reading the news? They are cutting salaries and shutting down many services.

I hate ads. They ruin the show / film for me, hence I love the BBC.

alexxxxx
04-03-2010, 09:53 PM
BTW, for anyone who's unclear, GCAP Media/Global Radio also own local stations such as Trent FM (best. station. ever.), Leicester Sound, Capital FM, Xfm, and Galaxy.

ew no, not trent fm pls.

Well let the people decide that, if they want the BBC and wish to buy its services over that of the Sky/Virgin services then they can do that because as you say 'its the envy of the world' so i'm sure it would have no trouble in finding customers.

largest viewing share by along way would somewhat support this point. the fact of the matter is that TV is a luxury, not a right. It's barely a stealth tax, as it doesn't go into the governments coffers nor are you forced to have one. you don't have to pay to watch iPlayer or Sky Player or itv Player and the TV Licence pays for more than just the BBC. It is funding the digital switchover too - and you don't have to pay a licence to listen to the radio.

Markeh
04-03-2010, 09:56 PM
ew no, not trent fm pls.

largest viewing share by along way would somewhat support this point. the fact of the matter is that TV is a luxury, not a right. It's barely a stealth tax, as it doesn't go into the governments coffers nor are you forced to have one. you don't have to pay to watch iPlayer or Sky Player or itv Player and the TV Licence pays for more than just the BBC. It is funding the digital switchover too - and you don't have to pay a licence to listen to the radio.

AFAIK, to watch iPlayer, Sky Player and ITV player, you do need a TV license, I think. and trent fm rules dude. :l

alexxxxx
04-03-2010, 10:01 PM
AFAIK, to watch iPlayer, Sky Player and ITV player, you do need a TV license, I think. and trent fm rules dude. :l

nah you don't. you only need it to watch live broadcasts. my mate's dad used to not have a TV licence (he really didn't have a TV) and they told him he could watch iplayer and stuff, just not allowed to watch anything that's live.

tbh trent isn't that bad but id take radio 1 any day. when joe and twiggy changed to twiggy and emma i didn't really hear any difference aha

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/technology-top8/

and thats the link to show you don't.

04-03-2010, 10:03 PM
knows no bounds with its budget?
Have you not been reading the news? They are cutting salaries and shutting down many services.

I hate ads. They ruin the show / film for me, hence I love the BBC.

Indeed, its directors are still paid more than the Prime Minister and its HQ recently had an expensive £1 billion makeover at the expense of the taxpayer. If it went private and had to make a profit, I could gurantee that they wouldnt be paying the likes of Jonathan Ross in the sums of 5+ million. If the BBC is not wasting money and is a profitable business that is successful then I dont see the reason for opposing its privatisation.

If a business can compete then it shouldnt need to be subsidised.

ew no, not trent fm pls.

I dont see the problem with privatising the BBC so it can compete with other broadcasters fairly and if what you said is true that it is so popular, it surely wouldnt have any trouble being privatised. It would force the BBC to compete fairly with the others as a private business and would also force down prices between them as the likes of Sky and so forth offer very cheap deals nowadays.

alexxxxx
04-03-2010, 10:05 PM
If a business can compete then it shouldnt need to be subsidised.

the bbc is not a business - it's a public service broadcaster.

I dont see the problem with privatising the BBC so it can compete with other broadcasters fairly and if what you said is true that it is so popular, it surely wouldnt have any trouble being privatised. It would force the BBC to compete fairly with the others as a private business and would also force down prices between them as the likes of Sky and so forth offer very cheap deals nowadays.

like i said it's not a business, it's a PSB, there to educate as well as to entertain and provide minority programming.

& it's not a tax.

04-03-2010, 10:14 PM
the bbc is not a business - it's a public service broadcaster.

like i said it's not a business, it's a PSB, there to educate as well as to entertain and provide minority programming.

& it's not a tax.

The BBC should be a business just like ITV, Channel 4 and so forth are also businesses. On minority programming and pandering to the PC brigade; I wonder if they'd be up for a BBC Anglo-Saxon as opposed to a BBC Asian - nah I didnt think so. Minority programming is exaxctly another sign of what is wrong with this country and the fact that people are obsessed with being the minority and with rights, political agendas and being politically correct.

It isnt economically feesible and nor is it right that we pay for these programmes which are not economically feesible. If the BBC is so great, like I said before then it should have no problem with being privatised as i'm sure it would make some wonderful profits (if managed properly it would). Let people choose and dont make that decision for them.

From looking around (and what a post above said) the TV license is compulsory and is henceforth a tax, and a stealth tax at that.

alexxxxx
04-03-2010, 10:22 PM
The BBC should be a business just like ITV, Channel 4 and so forth are also businesses. On minority programming and pandering to the PC brigade; I wonder if they'd be up for a BBC Anglo-Saxon as opposed to a BBC Asian - nah I didnt think so. Minority programming is exaxctly another sign of what is wrong with this country and the fact that people are obsessed with being the minority and with rights, political agendas and being politically correct.

It isnt economically feesible and nor is it right that we pay for these programmes which are not economically feesible. If the BBC is so great, like I said before then it should have no problem with being privatised as i'm sure it would make some wonderful profits (if managed properly it would). Let people choose and dont make that decision for them.

From looking around (and what a post above said) the TV license is compulsory and is henceforth a tax, and a stealth tax at that.

check you coming in starting on thinking i was on about racial minorities.

check the BBC 4 listings, pretty much all minority broadcasts, so is BBC R4, R7, WS and 5L in some respects. BBC early sunday mornings has PSB slots. let alone panorama and horizons.

04-03-2010, 10:24 PM
check you coming in starting on thinking i was on about racial minorities.

check the BBC 4 listings, pretty much all minority broadcasts, so is BBC R4, R7, WS and 5L in some respects. BBC early sunday mornings has PSB slots. let alone panorama and horizons.

All minority programming, if it doesnt make a profit and makes a signifigant loss then it should not be run (BBC Asian is a prime example because according to what was said on Jeff Randell Live, it is the most subsidised of all the BBC services). We live in 2010 now which means we have a broad array of services to choose from and to keep the BBC under the wings of the government where it quite clearly knows no bounds with money is wrong.

alexxxxx
04-03-2010, 10:50 PM
All minority programming, if it doesnt make a profit and makes a signifigant loss then it should not be run (BBC Asian is a prime example because according to what was said on Jeff Randell Live, it is the most subsidised of all the BBC services). We live in 2010 now which means we have a broad array of services to choose from and to keep the BBC under the wings of the government where it quite clearly knows no bounds with money is wrong.

so if it doesn't make money, it's not worth it, what a great world to live in :eusa_booh

04-03-2010, 11:42 PM
so if it doesn't make money, it's not worth it, what a great world to live in :eusa_booh

Indeed, but i'm afraid that is economics and without economics, you have ultimate strain upon the state and the end result is poverty.

alexxxxx
04-03-2010, 11:49 PM
Indeed, but i'm afraid that is economics and without economics, you have ultimate strain upon the state and the end result is poverty.

oh my gosh yes you are right, because we have the bbc we are all in poverty. let's burn it down tonight, pick me up on the way down from liverpool yeah?

04-03-2010, 11:53 PM
oh my gosh yes you are right, because we have the bbc we are all in poverty. let's burn it down tonight, pick me up on the way down from liverpool yeah?

You know aswell as I do that history has shown how it can spread. You just have to look at the mines as the main example and other government industry which were making a severe and heavy loss and has to be subsidised by the taxpayer;- that lack of money ultimately trickles down to the taxpayer and places incredible strains upon the taxpayer and business forcing them to shut.

The 1970s, we dont want a repeat. The BBC has outdone its good now as the prime broadcaster, its time to throw it out there with the other broadcasters and let it fend for itself as any good business should be able to do so without the backing of government money which ultimately leads to poor management, poor financial decisions and a general lack of desire to strive for better to compete.

Nick.
07-03-2010, 04:55 PM
Yes, partly the money comes from the TV licenes we pay while it is all owned by the BBC and thats mainly it but they also get money from the calls and texts.

lol no they don't, calls are national rate (so they don't make any money) and texts are standard rate AFAIK.

Sharon
07-03-2010, 05:21 PM
Not the surest on this so don't take it seriously.

BBC Radio > BBC > TV Licenses ?

TaTer
09-03-2010, 03:56 AM
Hello sugarcakes!

Local FMs get their cash by the adverts. THINK ABOUT IT. You run 15-30sec spots, once to twice an hour with a total of a 2 minute advertisement break.

Each break has a range of costs from 200-500. This price increases depending on the time of the broadcast, ie. prime time, afternoon drive, ETC

And just think about those competitions. When you see a Radio Station go out and about and do a LIVE Remote a local business, that business is paying the radio station 2300+ (depending on the station) just to set up and give away stuff. Depending on what they give away also reflects on the price. And while you see that station live at that business, those DJs are getting a "talent" fee that the local contracted business picks up.

AND for Concert Tix, Meet and Greets and cool autographed stuff. HALF of the time, those are free my friends, thats right free. Labels and Music Reps watch the spins the station makes, and they make sure that their hits are station in the power hit level, and if it's rockin and staying there with great spins/reviews, Then the label companies like to "treat" the station and "tend" to whatever they need. As big Label companies always say "Take care of Radio and Radio will take care of you"

You don't get rich as a singer, without Radio.

That's radio at a glimpse lovelies! Thats years of experience flyin atcha. Enjoy!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!