PDA

View Full Version : "Admin wants you to view a thread before you can continue browsing the forum"

Recursion
04-03-2010, 09:11 PM
Hey,

Loads of people will probably disagree but lately what has been with all the needless forced thread views?

I don't particularly want to vote in a thread about my age, if I did I would go and look in the section my self for example, and over the passed few days there seems to have been an increase in them.

Alkaz
04-03-2010, 09:17 PM
A lot of people might want to read about something which might get bumped over and they dont realise is there. I dont think it is that much of a big deal to go to the thread and carry on from there if you read it or not.

Drewar
04-03-2010, 09:19 PM
Some of them (such as the one about an amendment being made to a rule) are important and I can understand why the whole forum would be forced to see it... however I can totally see where the OP is coming from.

I only came back to Habbox Forum 3 days ago and I've had to go through at least 3 of these forced messages.. definitely getting a bit annoying IMO.

luce
well they want everyone to take part if you don't want to then just click off it but it's better that peoples attention is drawn to it to get max participation. Also everything that is happening on those thread is vital for us to contribute to or read. They don't just whack them there for the jokes!

Jordy
Hmm I don't really think the one announcing the updates to the filter was necessary.

Yonder
04-03-2010, 09:25 PM
Forced threads suck and i will view a thread if i want too unless its super important liek the time when we had the spam/scam advertisements but things like how old are you and oh new word in filter are just not necessary, please stop them or give us the option to turn it off!

If you need to make us read something then just do the notice's that you do at least we see them but they don't force us to view something when im reading a thread or something. If it is at the top of the Forum Index i will see it without it annoying me.

Hecktix
04-03-2010, 09:25 PM
Hmm I don't really think the one announcing the updates to the filter was necessary.

That announcement was more so for the second part, as some users were abusing the rule and I saw that as the most effective way of getting a message across, reminding everyone else at the same time.

Threads arent often force read, but it's hardly a nuisance.

Jordy
04-03-2010, 09:28 PM
Most effective way perhaps but I don't think it would harm putting it as an announcement and then people would find out for themselves that they're filtered. If they then break the rules or question it, they could be linked to the announcement.

It's beginning to get to the point where it is a nuisance. In my opinion a feature like that should only reserved for very important things (Like it was done in the past) and then people will pay close attention to it. If it's kept being used for things which don't interest people, then people may just skip over them.

kk.
04-03-2010, 09:30 PM
It's annoying if you click to view a thread, and that show's up, and you forget what thread you wanted to see lol

Meanies
04-03-2010, 09:32 PM
i was going to make a thread on this but it was too much effort so didnt

it'd be better if like you werent actually forced to read it. just a message comes up telling you the title of the thread and a link to it or else you can just ignore it and do whatever
or just use the notice thing at the top of the forum for it

Special
04-03-2010, 09:37 PM
Well it's to help the forum & it's confidential so i personally don't see the problem lol. I also don't think it's pointless but if that's what the staff want you to read then it wont be pointless anyway

You can't do anything about it so i don't see the point in moaning tbf

Recursion
04-03-2010, 09:38 PM

it'd be better if like you werent actually forced to read it. just a message comes up telling you the title of the thread and a link to it or else you can just ignore it and do whatever

Quite like this idea tbh

and @ Special, the whole idea in the feedback forum is that we CAN change things...

Seatherny
04-03-2010, 09:40 PM

I was going to post too but didn't for the same reason as you as it only takes a few minutes to read it.

Sammeth.
04-03-2010, 09:45 PM
There are never really usually this many in a row, in fact usually they are quite sporadic. It just so happened that we created a feedback poll, something which we always force read as we want as many votes as possible to try and give us a better idea rather than just say 20 votes. After that we got 40 votes in 10 minutes, which isnt bad going and helps us a lot more. It just happened to be at a time where a few other important announcements have been made. To be fair one of the last three force reads were unecessary in my opinion, but they will be kept to a bare minimum and used as a necessity.

Special
04-03-2010, 09:47 PM
Quite like this idea tbh

and @ Special, the whole idea in the feedback forum is that we CAN change things...

And in this case, it will

Possibly to look at the age range so some of the filtered words can be unfiltered

Hecktix
04-03-2010, 09:47 PM
The whole point of a force read is so you have to read is so giving you the option wouldnt really work.

I dont think they should be used for threads such as how old are you though, although this could be being used for important purposes, I don't know I haven't spoken with Sam about his thread.

Recursion
04-03-2010, 09:51 PM
Well what should happen is we could be informed of the thread title and then given two buttons, one to proceed to the thread or one to go back to where we were before.

Sammeth.
04-03-2010, 09:52 PM
It takes like 30 seconds out of what you were doing, if that, its hardly strenuous in my honest opinion. If you forget what you were doing before it, then I guess it wasn't that important :P

Seatherny
04-03-2010, 09:54 PM
It takes like 30 seconds out of what you were doing, if that, its hardly strenuous in my honest opinion. If you forget what you were doing before it, then I guess it wasn't that important :P

Hence I didnt make a thread moaning.

Person can always press back to get back to what they were doing.

If they cant remember, its usually either what you said - not important or too dumb.

Mathew
04-03-2010, 10:02 PM
They didn't really bother me until today, but that was the 3rd of 4th this week and it's rather annoying. In my opinion, they should only be used for very important rule ammendments, not petty "filter changes" and "how old are you?"

pasta's idea of just using the notice option at the top of the forum would be better for those types of threads..

Alkaz
04-03-2010, 10:04 PM
People seem to hate notices to and would probably press dismiss rather than clicking the link going to the thread.

Recursion
04-03-2010, 10:13 PM
"30 seconds isn't much" no it isn't, but when you think if you do 4 of these a week for a year, it's over an hour and a half ;)

But that's besides the point, it's just inconveniant, like you're about to post a thread or a post or something and then bam! You're taken away from what you were originally doing, which IS annoying.

Hecktix
04-03-2010, 10:15 PM
"30 seconds isn't much" no it isn't, but when you think if you do 4 of these a week for a year, it's over an hour and a half ;)

But that's besides the point, it's just inconveniant, like you're about to post a thread or a post or something and then bam! You're taken away from what you were originally doing, which IS annoying.

there are never 4 a week.

there have been 3 this week and that is a rare occurence, we apologise for the inconvenience, most of the time there is never more than 3 of these a month.

Sammeth.
04-03-2010, 10:16 PM
They didn't really bother me until today, but that was the 3rd of 4th this week and it's rather annoying. In my opinion, they should only be used for very important rule ammendments, not petty "filter changes" and "how old are you?"

pasta's idea of just using the notice option at the top of the forum would be better for those types of threads..

The how old are you thread is more important than obviously everyone thinks. When you do a survey, if you want a certain amount of replies you send out double or triple the amount. If we want a decent sample size to collect data from, we're obviously going to try our best to be able to get a wide large selection of data so therefore its more accurate and more representative.

This poll is to see the average age or target audience of our forum, which could affect current decisions and future decisions on how the forum works and how we carry out certain practices. Its just a one off question, but could affect a lot of things in the near future (and beyond that). On the outside it does seem like a petty question, but when you know the reasoning behind it, its actually way better to get a wider and larger source of votes.

Its always been our policy to force read feedback polls, and it will continue to be. IF you take a look theres been about 10 or 11 since the forum first started. Not a lot at all.

"30 seconds isn't much" no it isn't, but when you think if you do 4 of these a week for a year, it's over an hour and a half

How many times have we done 3 force read threads in one week, out of the last 52? One. And thats this week. Its hardly overkill, and it will barely happen again. As Oli said its barely 3 a month usually, it just so happens we have 3 important threads this week that we want you to see.

Recursion
04-03-2010, 10:52 PM
That is why I side it was besides the point.

Sammeth.
04-03-2010, 10:56 PM
I think it would be a lot more annoying and inconveniant if it was constant, which it isn't. So you should be alright.

e5
04-03-2010, 10:58 PM
Most of the force view threads are for our benefit ... it's hardly a problem, you can soon click off it.

Seatherny
04-03-2010, 11:00 PM

It takes longer to moan :)
Anyway just don't do it for useless threads and I am happy.

Barmi
05-03-2010, 02:01 AM
There are never really usually this many in a row, in fact usually they are quite sporadic. It just so happened that we created a feedback poll, something which we always force read as we want as many votes as possible to try and give us a better idea rather than just say 20 votes. After that we got 40 votes in 10 minutes, which isnt bad going and helps us a lot more. It just happened to be at a time where a few other important announcements have been made. To be fair one of the last three force reads were unecessary in my opinion, but they will be kept to a bare minimum and used as a necessity.

The whole point of a force read is so you have to read is so giving you the option wouldnt really work.

I dont think they should be used for threads such as how old are you though, although this could be being used for important purposes, I don't know I haven't spoken with Sam about his thread.

I love it when management don't agree.

Angel-Light
05-03-2010, 02:10 AM
Wow people are complaining the fact they have to spend time looking at a thread on a forum? (Note sarcasm)

Honestly if they gave you the option to read it or not I bet majority of people would just ignore it. Majority of the forced threads have been for the benefit of the users. Research, notification and highlighting things that may affect you are key ideas.

Be happy management are communicating! It could be worse they could not tell you any of this information at all (much like my work :@).

Overall I believe forced threads are a good idea as long as they aren't used excessively ;)

Richie
05-03-2010, 02:54 AM
It's annoying if you click to view a thread, and that show's up, and you forget what thread you wanted to see lol

jesus made the back button for a reason

I agree its annoying and only threads really necessary that will effect habbox should force people to read.

The Professor
05-03-2010, 09:47 AM

Lol management NEVER agree :P Sam and oli are just the two people that are most likely to say it in public :)

Hecktix
05-03-2010, 10:53 AM

As I said in my post, I wasn't too sure of Sams reasoning for the thread. I am now aware this is an important survey which will affect future forum decisions and it is absolutely essential we recieve as many votes as possie to gain a fair representation. All we wanted from you in that thread was a vote. The other two threads this week were of equal importance, one to remind users to follow a certain rule (which is to your benefit really, I could have just let the mods issue infractions even though people seemed unclear about the rule) and the other forceread was about the removal of blogs which we needed to show everyone to avoid complaints from you when your blogs vanish.

FlyingJesus
05-03-2010, 11:36 AM
I'll be honest myself and probably most of the others who voted/posted in that poll would probably not have done if it wasn't a forced thread, as feedback polls don't happen all that often and so people don't tend to check them. A one-off like that where it's designed to get a rough view of membership so that management know who they're dealing with isn't going to hurt anyone really.

Just out of interest, how long do such threads remain compulsary to view? Like if one were to be offline when it's made and not get back on for a couple of days, would they still be made to see it? I imagine there's a cutoff point somewhere, just wondering what it is.

Hecktix
05-03-2010, 11:53 AM
I'll be honest myself and probably most of the others who voted/posted in that poll would probably not have done if it wasn't a forced thread, as feedback polls don't happen all that often and so people don't tend to check them. A one-off like that where it's designed to get a rough view of membership so that management know who they're dealing with isn't going to hurt anyone really.

Just out of interest, how long do such threads remain compulsary to view? Like if one were to be offline when it's made and not get back on for a couple of days, would they still be made to see it? I imagine there's a cutoff point somewhere, just wondering what it is.

We can choose the cut off, I usually choose 24 or 48 hours, I'd probably say Sams should be over a longer period so it can get more votes.

Some are permanent, however this is uncommon and they are usually usergroup specific.

Meanies
05-03-2010, 01:15 PM
People seem to hate notices to and would probably press dismiss rather than clicking the link going to the thread.

yes, that would be the point of having an ignore button or whatever. don't have to look if you don't want to

and also on the poll thing, didn't there used to be polls at the top of the forum home rather than forced threads?

hah
05-03-2010, 01:33 PM
ye there was cus i remember i had one stuck on my profile cus it ended and i cudnt vote

Meanies
05-03-2010, 01:34 PM
ye there was cus i remember i had one stuck on my profile cus it ended and i cudnt vote
i had that too!!!

why wasnt this poll thing used for the age thread??
surely it'd have been equally effective

GommeInc
05-03-2010, 04:01 PM
yes, that would be the point of having an ignore button or whatever. don't have to look if you don't want to

and also on the poll thing, didn't there used to be polls at the top of the forum home rather than forced threads?
That sounds like a good idea.

Most of the notices are fine though, some like the blogs disappearing could of gone unmentioned, and as a thread like it is at the moment - it's not been taken off the front of the forum quite yet.

scottish
05-03-2010, 04:07 PM
Most effective way perhaps but I don't think it would harm putting it as an announcement and then people would find out for themselves that they're filtered. If they then break the rules or question it, they could be linked to the announcement.

It's beginning to get to the point where it is a nuisance. In my opinion a feature like that should only reserved for very important things (Like it was done in the past) and then people will pay close attention to it. If it's kept being used for things which don't interest people, then people may just skip over them.

i didnt read anything past page 2 but i agree with this

i know myself everytime i get forced to read a thread i click it and click off as it has a 98% chance of being crap and of no use to me

So when something really important is forced people will just start to skip it as we're being forced to view crap like vote your age

edit;

jesus made the back button for a reason

I agree its annoying and only threads really necessary that will effect habbox should force people to read.

that doesn't work though as if you use back it still thinks you've not read it and forces you to read it again

today
05-03-2010, 04:35 PM
tbh if i wanted to bloody know about blogs not being used then i'll bloody well look for announcements about blogs :/ Same for if i wanted to give Habbox Feedback i'll give it when im ready, not when im forced too.

Sammeth.
05-03-2010, 05:20 PM
tbh if i wanted to bloody know about blogs not being used then i'll bloody well look for announcements about blogs :/ Same for if i wanted to give Habbox Feedback i'll give it when im ready, not when im forced too.
We never forced you to give feedback, we forced you to read a thread asking for it. You still didnt have to give it if you didnt want to.

today
05-03-2010, 05:21 PM
We never forced you to give feedback, we forced you to read a thread asking for it. You still didnt have to give it if you didnt want to.
You forced me to view it, which was feedback, generally. If i wanted to give feedback i would at my own time without being forced to view anything. Else you'll just loose my support.

Sammeth.
05-03-2010, 05:23 PM
You forced me to view it, which was feedback, generally. If i wanted to give feedback i would at my own time without being forced to view anything. Else you'll just loose my support.
How is you looking at a feedback thread feedback to us?

Jin
05-03-2010, 07:36 PM
Recently it has been abused slightly and for that I can only apologies.

I believe that it should be used as little as possible as it is very intrusive and offensive or at least I feel a little offended when I log on to see that.

We will from now on use other methods that we already have in place.

Sammeth.
05-03-2010, 07:57 PM
I wouldn't see it had been abused, thats a bit of an extreme word to use. Though I would say it has been used a lot recently, which is never usually the case and just a one off thing that happened this week. Not like it happens all the time lets face it.

today
05-03-2010, 07:57 PM
I wouldn't see it had been abused, thats a bit of an extreme word to use. Though I would say it has been used a lot recently, which is never usually the case and just a one off thing that happened this week. Not like it happens all the time lets face it.
Sammeth, shadup and listen to your boss. x

Sammeth.
05-03-2010, 08:09 PM
Sammeth, shadup and listen to your boss. x
Its alright for me and Jin to disagree on things, its not like its the first time, and it wont be the last cus its no fun otherwise. :P

Seatherny
05-03-2010, 08:16 PM

Some might have taken a while to write those blogs. I am happy it was forced as if it wasn't and some people didn't back up their blogs, they would have moaned.

today
05-03-2010, 08:17 PM
Then a notice on the forum would be enough or when you visit blogs a quick notice.

FlyingJesus
06-03-2010, 12:41 PM
When I am king all threads will be forced view, even the ones you peasants make and the ones in the Habbo section will also show up as notices for a week at a time.

Hecktix
06-03-2010, 12:42 PM
When I am king all threads will be forced view, even the ones you peasants make and the ones in the Habbo section will also show up as notices for a week at a time.

Force Read isn't possible any more :P

today
06-03-2010, 07:28 PM
Force Read isn't possible any more :P
thank **** for that :D

Recursion
07-03-2010, 08:31 PM
Until it gets updated for vBulletin 4.0 :(

gah.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!