PDA

View Full Version : I need help defending if "Creationism should be taught in School"

:Donut
06-03-2010, 04:15 AM
For a school project, My group has the topic of "Creationism vs Evolution: Should _______ be taught at school?"

Me and some person I don't know got assigned to defend Creationism. Our group is split and we would have to debate against each other. I don't have any problems with either as far as beliefs, but then again I'm having problems to defend it. Creationism is basically based on religion, while Evolution is based on reasoning, which for me is harder and I'm kinda struggling.

To mods, I'm not planning nor intending for this to be a debate, which is why I didn't post it on the debates forum. I just need help finding the right direction.

Inseriousity.
06-03-2010, 11:09 AM
Is this debate going to happen in an RE lesson? or is it just a general school debate?

Anyway, well it looks to me like you've been given the short straw but you can say that education is about learning. Learning a one-sided argument like EVOLUTION ONLY or CREATIONISM ONLY means that it is not giving pupils the chance to get the whole story and making their own judgements from that. That's how I'd start anyway, sorry I couldn't be much help!

Your best bet could be counter-arguments so think why it shouldn't be taught in school then make sure your replies to those arguments are water-tight.

Black_Apalachi
10-03-2010, 05:21 AM
From a strictly practical perspective; evolution actually has some foundation where as creationism has as much evidence to back it up as Santa Claus. I'm all for teaching in an impartial manner to keep the options open, but it can be argued that if you're going to teach creationism, why not teach all sorts of other stuff like Scientology for example?

GommeInc
10-03-2010, 05:17 PM
Urgh, I wish I could remember names :/ There was a politician or philosopher who claimed teaching creationalism as a theory is perfectly acceptable, just do not teach it as fact (or something like that). Creationalism is a dreamers view on how the universe was created, it's a nice idea, but not very informative or factual :P

DJ-Ains.T
10-03-2010, 05:23 PM
You could use "It's better to be taught many ideas and then choose for yourself what you believe, instead of just being taught one idea and not being able to question it." xx

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!