PDA

View Full Version : British taxpayers to fork out millions more in benefits for EU migrants

-:Undertaker:-
07-03-2010, 02:54 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1256108/British-taxpayers-fork-millions-benefits-EU-migrants.html

Taxpayers face paying millions of pounds in extra benefits to Eastern European immigrants because of changes to EU regulations. For the past seven years, immigrants from eight countries due to become full members of the EU were banned from claiming benefits in the UK until they had worked here for 12 months. But from April 2011, immigrants from Poland, Estonia, Latvia, Hungary, Lithuania, Slovakia, Slovenia and the Czech Republic – where income levels are 40 per cent of the European average – will be allowed to claim Jobseekers’ Allowance and other benefits after just three months.

This is provided they can prove that they have been actively seeking work, undergone training or attended job interviews. Unlike many other European nations which closed their labour markets to the so-called Accession Eight countries, Britain has allowed their nationals to work here. This was on condition that they abided by the Government’s Worker Registration Scheme, which denied them benefits for a year. But the scheme runs out next spring because seven years is the maximum transition period under EU law and no extension can be granted. It means Eastern European immigrants entering Britain will be subject to the same benefits rules as they are in established EU countries like France and Germany.

Although there are no official Government figures, the latest academic surveys suggest there are now 1.2 million Eastern European nationals living in Britain. Most former Soviet bloc countries pay lower unemployment benefits than Britain. In Latvia, the monthly unemployment allowance is £57.20 compared with the UK’s £200-£256. Sir Andrew Green, chairman of MigrationWatch UK, said last night: ‘Now is the time to engage the EU in a renegotiation of the welfare arrangements to ensure that we do not face a wave of benefit shoppers when these countries become full members.’ A Department for Work and Pensions spokesman said: ‘Of those who do come here, the vast majority do not claim benefits.’
Well our government won't do anything because they are total wimps and couldnt care less what happens with our money (provided its not spent on us) and wouldnt want to upset the European Union because a lot of them will have jobs in the EU pretty soon and they wouldnt want to lose them jobs they are so close to grasping. As for the Conservatives?; nothing. The three main parties continue to allow these things to happen while we are upto our eyeballs in debt, and while taxes and prices continue to soar for the British taxpayer. This is the 'choice' we now face though; vote for the three main parties and be ruled by the unelected EU of which none of our politicians will stand up to and just say 'no'.

Thoughts?

Suspective
07-03-2010, 02:57 PM
This is absolutely disgusting. It just makes this country, even more attractive for immigrants.

alexxxxx
07-03-2010, 04:48 PM
i'm sure they'll work it out

Suspective
07-03-2010, 04:50 PM
Lets hope so.

Catzsy
07-03-2010, 04:51 PM
i'm sure they'll work it out

Exactly what I thought. This isn't really news - the Home office has been extending the scheme for a year at a time for the last few years and there are over twelves months to go. Just electioneering, I guess.

alexxxxx
07-03-2010, 04:55 PM
well it's not just us who will be faced with this problem, the french, german, belgian and netherlands governments will have similar issues. I don't see why they can't come up with a sort of agreement where they can claim these benefits, but we get refunded from their national governments where they originate from.

Grippz
07-03-2010, 06:32 PM
What a crock of ****

dbgtz
07-03-2010, 06:35 PM
If job income is like 40% why can't they should increase minimum wage or something.

07-03-2010, 08:47 PM
well it's not just us who will be faced with this problem, the french, german, belgian and netherlands governments will have similar issues. I don't see why they can't come up with a sort of agreement where they can claim these benefits, but we get refunded from their national governments where they originate from.

Or even better; dont let them in in the first place!

Imagine the money that would solve in red tape costs as well - its useless me saying the same old common sense argument though because our unelected leaders dont have an ounce of it in them (along with our elected ones). The French government and others may have this problem coming up as well; but it wont really effect them because everyone comes to Britain with its generous benefits system anyway.

alexxxxx
07-03-2010, 09:36 PM

Imagine the money that would solve in red tape costs as well - its useless me saying the same old common sense argument though because our unelected leaders dont have an ounce of it in them (along with our elected ones). The French government and others may have this problem coming up as well; but it wont really effect them because everyone comes to Britain with its generous benefits system anyway.

you get problems then where people can't actually afford to go home. infact that's happened already where migrant workers unable to claim benefits literally had to camp in the woods in their cars as they couldn't afford to go home.

if you keep telling yourself that 'everyone comes here for the benefits system' - it doesn't make it anymore true.

07-03-2010, 09:44 PM
you get problems then where people can't actually afford to go home. infact that's happened already where migrant workers unable to claim benefits literally had to camp in the woods in their cars as they couldn't afford to go home.

if you keep telling yourself that 'everyone comes here for the benefits system' - it doesn't make it anymore true.

If somebody is financially incapable of supporting themselves, is a criminal or the fact that we do not need their skills or does not work then we do not want them and they should not even be allowed into the United Kingdom and past its borders. As for the benefits system of course its true, thats why they travel across Europe, camp in France and wait to get shipped over here because it certainly isnt the weather that attracts both migrants and asylum seekers, its the money.

Why should my parents and people across this country fund this ridiculous scheme that puts even more costs ontop of the absurd EU payments we make every day.

kk.
07-03-2010, 09:45 PM

And what about the migrants who are coming over here to work? Most UK companies who employ foreigners wouldnt be able to survive with english workers. We're slower, and want to be paid more. You'd be a fool not to take up the opportunity.

alexxxxx
07-03-2010, 09:55 PM
If somebody is financially incapable of supporting themselves, is a criminal or the fact that we do not need their skills or does not work then we do not want them and they should not even be allowed into the United Kingdom and past its borders. As for the benefits system of course its true, thats why they travel across Europe, camp in France and wait to get shipped over here because it certainly isnt the weather that attracts both migrants and asylum seekers, its the money.

Why should my parents and people across this country fund this ridiculous scheme that puts even more costs ontop of the absurd EU payments we make every day.

maybe have you thought that they were once financially capable, contributed to the economy, paying taxes, lost jobs through recession? of course you haven't. you've thrown up the daily fail rhetoric once again.

have you maybe thought about the thousands of illegal immigrants living in germany, france, spain and italy - no, because they ALL come to britain :rolleyes: Those waiting to smuggle themselves into the UK without papers are illegal immigrants. they aren't asylum seekers, they may try to claim asylum when caught. illegal immigrants are not entitled to benefits. you are right - they are attracted by the money, the money they can earn in the labour market here. the fact of the matter is that these immigrants make the british economy much more competitive.

07-03-2010, 10:06 PM
And what about the migrants who are coming over here to work? Most UK companies who employ foreigners wouldnt be able to survive with english workers. We're slower, and want to be paid more. You'd be a fool not to take up the opportunity.

As I said in the very passage you quoted; if we need them then they are welcome.

maybe have you thought that they were once financially capable, contributed to the economy, paying taxes, lost jobs through recession? of course you haven't. you've thrown up the daily fail rhetoric once again.

have you maybe thought about the thousands of illegal immigrants living in germany, france, spain and italy - no, because they ALL come to britain :rolleyes: Those waiting to smuggle themselves into the UK without papers are illegal immigrants. they aren't asylum seekers, they may try to claim asylum when caught. illegal immigrants are not entitled to benefits. you are right - they are attracted by the money, the money they can earn in the labour market here. the fact of the matter is that these immigrants make the british economy much more competitive.

Oh get over the Daily Mail now because you dont seem to be able to debate your point without mentioning the papers, I could go on about the Guardian all day long if I wanted to but we'd still be none the wiser. The issue at hand; the issue is not that, the issue is that people who come to Britain pretty much instantly will be able and viable to claim on the benefits system meaning people can just come in, not have to work at all and simply claim benefits.

As for the last part, no not all come to Britain but a fair share to, an overly fair share hence why they travel across various Oceans and seas and across the European mainland to get to Britain, not to mention the fact they then wait in France (one of the richest countries in the world and better standards of living) and come across to here. It can be economical if managed properly but in its present form it is putting an enormous burden on the taxpayer.

kk.
07-03-2010, 10:13 PM
As I said in the very passage you quoted; if we need them then they are welcome.

did you :S

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!