PDA

View Full Version : If you knew when you were going to die,

syko2006
11-03-2010, 08:51 PM
how, when, where etc. Would you try to stop it?

EDIT: As in getting hit by a bus etc. :)

cocaine
11-03-2010, 08:53 PM
you cant stop yourself dying lolol

Yoshimitsui
11-03-2010, 08:53 PM
Surely if you knew when you would die then you cannot change that ? ;)

Jordy
11-03-2010, 08:59 PM
Depends. If I was going to be hit by a car on the way to school tomorrow, I'd probably take a day off. But if I die peacefully as a multi-millionaire at the age of 90, I'll be more than content with that.

syko2006
11-03-2010, 09:00 PM
Sorry, I mean death by un-natural causes.

Say if you knew you was going to get hit by a bus, and you were in your 60's, would you try to change it? Or would you let nature take it's course?

dirrty
11-03-2010, 09:03 PM
Sorry, I mean death by un-natural causes.

Say if you knew you was going to get hit by a bus, and you were in your 60's, would you try to change it? Or would you let nature take it's course?
if i knew i was going to be hit by a bus, i'd try to avoid buses :P

but death is inevitable and why it's your time, it's your time. so theres only so much avoidance one can do.

Pyroka
11-03-2010, 09:05 PM
kill maself earlier just to see what happens lol

Smits
11-03-2010, 09:08 PM
Sounds too much like a film.

Arron
11-03-2010, 09:19 PM
i'd avoid it yes, but then it'll be final destination :(

LoveToStack
11-03-2010, 09:26 PM
best reply. +rep to you sir.

Blinger1
11-03-2010, 10:13 PM
I think it would be obvious to say yes, but how would I know it would actually happen? I probably wouldn't believe it so no, i wouldn't try to change it

IceNineKills
12-03-2010, 12:25 AM
I'm going to die within the next 10 years anyway, I only have one kidney and that is badly damaged. If I don't get a transplant then it's going to kill me, there's a 4 year waiting list for the right kidney I need.

Nothing I can do.

Black_Apalachi
12-03-2010, 01:36 AM
I don't think the question has been worded correctly. If you ask; 'if you knew how and when you were going to die, would you prevent it?', the ultimate answer is that there is nothing you can do to prevent it. However if you just ask the question; 'if you knew you were going to be hit by a bus tomorrow, would you prevent it?', then you could possibly argue that you could take action to prevent it. Although the same applies really; if a future occurrence has been specified, anything you think you are doing to prevent it, is actually just leading up the ultimate event. For example, if you know you're going to be hit by a bust tomorrow at 3pm, you may decide to stay inside all day. But a bus could easily crash through your wall and hit you. Anything can happen - not just the common circumstances which you would probably assume.

Of course the answer to the original intended question is of course, most people would probably take evasive action - whether they believe it has any power on their destiny or not.

ChickenFaces
12-03-2010, 01:42 AM
Eh I'd just jump in front of the bus and be like HIT MEH!!

Then I'd die. YAY.

Stefy09
12-03-2010, 02:29 AM

I can tell you what would happen.. We would all laugh because you couldn't see what happens

Black_Apalachi
12-03-2010, 03:50 AM
Btw if you tried to kill yourself earlier than the specified time, you would just fail and end up in severe pain.

Firehorse
12-03-2010, 07:23 PM
if you knew you were going to die then its a set date. If you skip your death then something else will come and get you soon - its fate. Dunno if you've ever watched that movie where a guy goes back in time to save his girlfriend's life but she just dies another way each time and he does it about 100 times [and then goes to the far future where the moon falls to earth and humans split between underground monsters and overground people].

The Don
12-03-2010, 08:05 PM
I see it as if you knew you were going to die and you tried to prevent it, that's probably how you end up in that situation. But i would avoid whatever was going to cause it.

Aidenn
12-03-2010, 08:21 PM
I think i would urmm, speed the process up and wear lots of padding (H)

Gibs960
12-03-2010, 08:27 PM
I reckon old age, and I couldn't really stop that, around 76 :)

EDIT: In my house or hospital :)

Kieran
12-03-2010, 09:15 PM
I've decided to kill myself when I can no longer look after myself. I refuse to go in to a home... Already planned how to do it.... Hot air balloon to 25,000 feet, subject myself to hypoxia. You get a feeling of joy and content before you die and you never feel any pain :) Perfect way ;)

The Don
12-03-2010, 09:23 PM
I reckon old age, and I couldn't really stop that, around 76 :)

EDIT: In my house or hospital :)

did you even bother to read the first post?

ecstasy
12-03-2010, 10:48 PM
i'd try and prevent it yeah, but i dont know if trying to prevent it would work or not
i dont believe in fate so i dont really have an opinion on if you can change it e.g prevent your death

Jordy
12-03-2010, 10:51 PM
I've decided to kill myself when I can no longer look after myself. I refuse to go in to a home... Already planned how to do it.... Hot air balloon to 25,000 feet, subject myself to hypoxia. You get a feeling of joy and content before you die and you never feel any pain :) Perfect way ;)+rep for that, that's an awesome idea, I think if I ever want to commit suicide, I shall steal your plan. It is perfect.

Kieran
12-03-2010, 10:54 PM
+rep for that, that's an awesome idea, I think if I ever want to commit suicide, I shall steal your plan. It is perfect.

I know! Isn't it just :D

The Professor
13-03-2010, 12:48 AM
Thing is if you're told you're going to die at a certain time and event and whatnot that means you can't physically die BEFORE that event (Red Dwarf logic ftw). I'd just jump in front of every train and pick fights with people and stuff knowing that I'm unable to be killed (A)

Browney
13-03-2010, 08:13 AM
+rep for that, that's an awesome idea, I think if I ever want to commit suicide, I shall steal your plan. It is perfect.

As will I. Maybe we can share the balloon?

Recursion
13-03-2010, 08:29 AM
Anaesthetic and a nice sharp blow to the head with a sledgehammer would do me, probably in my old age when I've fought of the zombie apocolypse and done all that good stuff

Jamiie
13-03-2010, 09:27 AM
Agree with alot of People
If you was going to die
then You wouldnt be able to stop it =/

Black_Apalachi
15-03-2010, 03:22 AM
Thing is if you're told you're going to die at a certain time and event and whatnot that means you can't physically die BEFORE that event (Red Dwarf logic ftw). I'd just jump in front of every train and pick fights with people and stuff knowing that I'm unable to be killed (A)

You would still feel pain. I would never want to survive a fight with a train.

As for fate; I think for this debate, it has to be assumed that fate does exist. After all, the only possible way of knowing how and when you will die, is to be told by somebody from the future - and thus fate.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!