PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Question

dogboy123
17-03-2010, 07:35 PM
If you set out to fail, and succeed. Do you fail?

marriott0.01
17-03-2010, 07:38 PM
If you set out to fail, and succeed. Do you fail?

No, you successfully get what you wanted to do.

AgnesIO
17-03-2010, 07:41 PM
Depends what context ;)

You may be saying you succeeded when you wanted to fail, but what marriott is thinking is that you succeeded in failing

Two answer :P

Inseriousity.
17-03-2010, 07:53 PM
You fail at failing, yeah.

dogboy123
17-03-2010, 08:14 PM
No, you successfully get what you wanted to do.

BUt you succeed in failing, so you still fail?

Depends what context ;)

You may be saying you succeeded when you wanted to fail, but what marriott is thinking is that you succeeded in failing

Two answer :P

No, there's one answer. do you succeed or do you fail

Blinger1
17-03-2010, 09:18 PM
you've accomplished what you didn't want to accomplish, so you fail i guess.

I think that you'd be pleasantly surprised though when you do succeed ;)

Special
17-03-2010, 09:20 PM
No, you have succeeded in what you wanted to do (which in this case is to fail)

myke
17-03-2010, 09:33 PM
Depends on context.

You have succeeded in what your target was.

But you have failed the overall outcome.

e.g. If you want a U in Science... you get the U, you have succeeded your own target. You have however overall failed the subject. >:]

Titch
18-03-2010, 10:57 AM
No, you have succeeded in what you wanted to do (which in this case is to fail)

This ^^^

you still succeeded in what you were aiming to do, weather thats fail, bake a cake or watever.

Stefy09
18-03-2010, 01:01 PM
It's a neverending circle of both, you won't find a straight succeed or fail answer.

They succeed at failing but as they have succeeded then that means they fail but because they fail then that means they succeed but because they succeed it goes back to fail and again and then loops over for aslong as you can go on for.

Anyone who is trying to figure it out are dumb

But if I had to choose one then I'd say fail because failing is easier than succeeding

RandomManJay
18-03-2010, 01:57 PM
Lol, thats an awesome philosophical question :P. I suppose in the context of the question the answer would be yes you have failed cause the only way you would succeed is if you fail.

danzooo
18-03-2010, 05:05 PM
Does this mean:

-You set out with the intention of failing and didn't fail, you succeeded instead?
or
-You set out with the intention of failing and did?

If it's the second one then yes, you did fail, because you intended to fail and you did. fail.

AlexOC
18-03-2010, 06:29 PM
Argh racking me brains man!!

I would say, there is no anwser!!

Black_Apalachi
19-03-2010, 12:54 PM
It's not really a paradox I don't think. It's two separate things really; the first being the original task, and the second being the outcome of that task afterwards. Although the main thing that would answer the question is how you feel - and if you actually aimed to fail but succeeded, then I still think you would be unhappy and thus still feel like a failure (even more so, in an ironic sense).

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!