PDA

View Full Version : Warner Bros. hiring undercover anti-pirates

xxMATTGxx
29-03-2010, 04:38 PM
TorrentFreak reports that Warner Brothers UK is hiring college students with an IT background to participate in an internship that will pit them against the world wide pirating web in an effort to crack down on illegal digital distribution.

The posting found at the University of Manchester reads:

"During the 12 month internship, duties will include: monitoring local Internet forums and IRC for pirated WB and NBCU content and in order to gather information on pirate sites, pirate groups and other pirate activities; finding new and maintaining existing accounts on private sites; scanning for links to hosted pirated WB and NBCU content and using tools to issue takedown requests; maintaining and developing bots for Internet link scanning system (training provided); preparing sending of infringement notices and logging feedback; performing trap purchases of pirated product and logging results; inputting pirate hard goods data and other intelligence into the forensics database; selecting local keywords and submitting local filenames for monitoring and countermeasure campaigns and periodically producing research documents on piracy related technological developments. Various training will be provided."

The intern will literally be on the front-lines of the epic battle against pirated content, ensnaring users in incriminating transactions, issuing takedown requests, and causing general frustration amongst the file-sharing population on the Internet.

TorrentFreak is actively encouraging members to sign up for the position in an effort to place a double agent inside the copyright infringement department at WB.

Link: http://www.neowin.net/news/warner-bros-hiring-undercover-anti-pirates

I found this funny to be honest, would only take time for someone to actually do this. Thoughts?

Hiro
29-03-2010, 04:56 PM
Rofl. I'd sign up but I'm not a college student. Plus, I hate torrents.

Recursion
29-03-2010, 06:39 PM
It's gunna backfire, because of the "training" the students will receive, they will know how not to get caught... :rolleyes: :)

Firehorse
29-03-2010, 06:48 PM
It will either backfire, or the people who take those jobs will realise in the future how stupid they were and how they aren't able to get the software which pretty much is needed these days by most people such as photoshop.

N!ck
29-03-2010, 11:52 PM
Lol, my University. Shows up on my careers profile page. I probably wouldn't be accepted though as I'm not on the right course or got the programming experience.

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/9554/78396106.png

Black_Apalachi
30-03-2010, 12:21 PM
So basically don't post on forums about what you download? I'd be surprised if the hired students didn't download illegally themselves anyway.

I thought piracy wasn't a very big deal as cinemas etc are more successful than they've ever been? If that's the case then there is certainly a lot of drastic measures being taken lately.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!