PDA

View Full Version : Apple Tastes Own Medicine, Gets Sued For Multi-Touch

xxMATTGxx
02-04-2010, 10:51 PM
Since the launch of WebOS, Apple has been blabbing at the mouth about how they’ll protect their company from others stealing their innovations. But they didn’t act for a LONG time. Then, last month, the entire thing popped up and HTC was the target in Apple’s crosshairs. Let’s recall how things have gone:

* Apple sues HTC
* We learn the lawsuit is really an attack on Google Android
* Google defends HTC

Apple thought they had such a HUGE advantage over HTC and this advantage is probably the reason HTC got thumbed instead of Palm (despite HTC’s history of innovation). But now Apple is getting a taste of their own medicine – the first two paragraphs of this GigaOM article say it all:

Elan Microelectronics filed suit against Apple with the U.S. International Trade Commission today, alleging that certain Apple products violate a multitouch patent previously awarded to the Taiwanese company. Elan in April of last year filed a related suit with the U.S. District Court in Northern California over the same patent — No. 7,274,353 — which it calls “a fundamental patent to the detection of multi-fingers that allows for any subsequent multi-finger applications to be implemented.”

By going to the ITC in addition to filing a patent infringement suit, Elan seeks to block Apple from importing its products into the U.S. that use multitouch, including the iPhone, iPod touch, MacBook, Magic Mouse and the iPad, which is due for release on April 3. Since Apple products are designed in Cupertino but assembled outside of the U.S., Elan is courting the appropriate trade commission that has authority to stop such products from reaching America’s shores. Notably, any ITC findings will be binding regardless of the patent lawsuit outcome, thanks to a loophole in U.S. patent law. Ironically, Apple is using this same strategy to try and block HTC from importing phones that Cupertino alleges violate its patents.

LINK: http://phandroid.com/2010/04/01/apple-tastes-own-medicine-gets-sued-for-multi-touch/

I actually laughed at this, Apple need to learn they cannot own everything in this world.

Pyroka
02-04-2010, 11:11 PM
Lolzorz.

Serves em right

Cheryl
02-04-2010, 11:20 PM
Lolzorz.

Serves em right
yeah tbf they've deserved it for so long

AlexOC
02-04-2010, 11:31 PM
I don't like Apple.

Suprised they motto is not 'We're apple, and windows 7 was our idea'

Oleh
02-04-2010, 11:59 PM
If maybe microsoft was to enter the touch market with their zune, i would most definatley invest in a 120gb zune

Jordy
03-04-2010, 12:03 AM
If maybe microsoft was to enter the touch market with their zune, i would most definatley invest in a 120gb zuneThey have got a touch Zune, the Zune HD and they announced a 64GB version yesterday I believe. Substantially cheaper than the iPod Touch too. Sadly though they don't sell it in the UK and it lacks decent applications.

Oleh
03-04-2010, 12:15 AM
oh, i never noticed a touch cos ebay doesnt stock them :)

They should release games for it then. and a dev program for it

HotelUser
03-04-2010, 02:18 AM
I actually laughed at this, Apple need to learn they cannot own everything in this world.

And some people would say I'm an Apple fanboy :S

danzooo
03-04-2010, 04:55 AM
I'm a huge fan of Apple but I still laughed at this :P it does serve them right tbh, its kinda like a school playground situation; bully picks on little kid, little kid gets older brother 5 years above them to kick bully's ass.

xxMATTGxx
03-04-2010, 06:33 AM

Excuse me? I show no fanboyism in my post.

N!ck
03-04-2010, 09:45 AM

Disliking Apple implies fanboyism to other brands?

Patenting natural progressions in technology is not on. It's like patenting the scroll wheel on a mouse :S.

GommeInc
03-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Patenting natural progressions in technology is not on. It's like patenting the scroll wheel on a mouse :S.
What N!ck said :)

Can't say I care for Apple, hopefully they go bankrupt for the second time. They're due it anyway, they're slowly going to run out of ideas and the amount of people investing in their "innovations" will drop. That is, of course, they allow their machines, operation system and other such features to work seemlessly with other devices.

The iPhone will probably slip into the depths from whence in came (Jobs' bottom no doubt) when people notice no amazing features come out (all products and business go through this) and they start noticing the basics do not work e.g. wide-spread bluetooth functionality and they will move onto something else, and many are doing that already :/ I've noticed the HTC Desire, HTC HD2 are getting alot of appraisal lately, in tech forums at least :/ These design trends will soon stop, and Apple will be in trouble. People will get bored that they're virtually land locked into the device, with no way of communication with other devices. Not that the friendly O2 woman is a reliable source, but if they only disable widespread bluetooth because they're worried about people sharing Apple files, then A. they're terrible at security, B. it will be their biggest downfall. We were all kids once, if someone said "don't touch my stuff", alot of people probably will. It's the same for Apple, if they do bother to make proper working bluetooth, then people will love the idea of seeing what the big deal was. That is assuming, Apple aren't doing it so you have to buy special Apple approved equipment.

/rant over

MrGazet
03-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Let’s face it. Apple needs to stop being stubborn and start looking at what we really want. They have, hands down, revolutionized the mobile industry. But they need to start evolving again.If we want to change the way our phone works.. even to the point of breaking it, can we not do that without playing a cat and mouse jail-breaking game?

HotelUser
03-04-2010, 01:22 PM
Excuse me? I show no fanboyism in my post.

An unhealthy hate for a company is just as bad as an unhealthy love, Matt.

xxMATTGxx
03-04-2010, 01:27 PM
An unhealthy hate for a company is just as bad as an unhealthy love, Matt.

I never said I hated them, I was laughing at them for the reason they think they can own multi-touch and not let anyone else have it. Plus if that other company is correct, they stole it anyway. :)

HotelUser
03-04-2010, 01:39 PM
I never said I hated them, I was laughing at them for the reason they think they can own multi-touch and not let anyone else have it. Plus if that other company is correct, they stole it anyway. :)

If companies in this industry didn't steal ideas most everything would suck. Surly you know this.

xxMATTGxx
03-04-2010, 01:43 PM
If companies in this industry didn't steal ideas most everything would suck. Surly you know this.

Yes but like Nick said, its like putting a parent on a scroll wheel. It's stupid!

HotelUser
03-04-2010, 01:47 PM
Yes but like Nick said, its like putting a parent on a scroll wheel. It's stupid!

This is also a stupid patent (http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-218626.html)

Should I post complaining about how Microsoft should get a taste of their own medicine too?

GommeInc
03-04-2010, 01:51 PM

Oh no, it's not about stealing, it's about Apple thinking they can stop companies and technology evolving by thinking they created and own multi-touch, even though the concept was around long before the iPhone, and all Apple did was grab the people who had created a type of multi-touch, so saying it's their innovation is a half-truth, it was bound to happen, just Apple got their first with making an actual mainstream product.

On a side note, Apple have sent a message out about the iPad saying "A magical and revolutionary product at an unbelievable price" - lol.

This is also a stupid patent (http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-218626.html)

Should I post complaining about how Microsoft should get a taste of their own medicine too?
Not really, they appear to have patented Page Up and Page Down, while other companies can effectively call it something else e.g. up/down. This doesn't appear to be patenting the concept like multi-touch, unless they're not being literal and specific.

HotelUser
03-04-2010, 01:54 PM
Oh no, it's not about stealing, it's about Apple thinking they can stop companies and technology evolving by thinking they created and own multi-touch, even though the concept was around long before the iPhone, and all Apple did was grab the people who had created a type of multi-touch, so saying it's their innovation is a half-truth, it was bound to happen, just Apple got their first with making an actual mainstream product.

On a side note, Apple have sent a message out about the iPad saying "A magical and revolutionary product at an unbelievable price" - lol.

For (http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MB382) Apple (http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC343/Time-Capsule-1TB) it is a good price.

GommeInc
03-04-2010, 01:56 PM
Same the first two descriptive words are wishful thinking ;) It's not magical, it's an iPod Touch. It's not revolutionary, it's an iPod Touch. They're over selling a product again :/

HotelUser
03-04-2010, 01:58 PM
Same the first two descriptive words are wishful thinking ;) It's not magical, it's an iPod Touch. It's not revolutionary, it's an iPod Touch. They're over selling a product again :/

I haven't used one, so I'm not going to say it is/isn't magical. Engadget gave a review (http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/03/apple-ipad-review/) on it, which was what I expected, however.

xxMATTGxx
03-04-2010, 01:58 PM
You own an Android phone David. So you don't want that to have multi-touch? or any other phone apart from Apple products to have multi-touch? If so that's a bit silly. It's ok for the people who live in the EU, because they aren't allowed to do that here. :P (Meaning HTC can use Multi-touch freely)

HotelUser
03-04-2010, 02:00 PM
You own an Android phone David. So you don't want that to have multi-touch? or any other phone apart from Apple products to have multi-touch? If so thats a bit silly. It's ok for the people who live in the EU, because they aren't allowed to do that here. :P

If Google plans on making the user experience with Android multitouch better then I'll want it more.

I rather have keys on my keyboard than multitouch, Matt.

Recursion
03-04-2010, 02:02 PM
For (http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MB382) Apple (http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC343/Time-Capsule-1TB) it is a good price.
Why is it always you that turns threads into Microsoft vs Apple arguments? :rolleyes:

HotelUser
03-04-2010, 02:03 PM
Why is it always you that turns threads into Microsoft vs Apple arguments? :rolleyes:

Well, in reference to the post you quoted I am insulting Apple, if you bothered to click those links.

Recursion
03-04-2010, 02:07 PM
Well, in reference to the post you quoted I am insulting Apple, if you bothered to click those links.

It wasn't in reference to the quote, it was a general statement :P

xxMATTGxx
03-04-2010, 02:11 PM
Shall we get to the point of "Apple are in the wrong" without someone bringing up Microsoft.

HotelUser
03-04-2010, 02:11 PM
Shall we get to the point of "Apple are in the wrong" without someone bringing up Microsoft.

If you're not going to be over harsh about Apple, then sure.

xxMATTGxx
03-04-2010, 02:13 PM
If you're not going to be over harsh about Apple, then sure.

I'm not being harsh about Apple. Yes they have some great products but they shouldn't be allowed to do this regarding multi-touch. (Maybe I shouldn't post such threads)

HotelUser
03-04-2010, 02:15 PM
I'm not being harsh about Apple. Yes they have some great products but they shouldn't be allowed to do this regarding multi-touch. (Maybe I shouldn't post such threads)

That's not the problem.

I posted because I thought you saying "I actually laughed at this, Apple need to learn they cannot own everything in this world." was going a bit beyond an extreme, considering many other companies try to pull similar, if more more questionable stunts concerning patents and patent infringement.

xxMATTGxx
03-04-2010, 02:20 PM
That's not the problem.

I posted because I thought you saying "I actually laughed at this, Apple need to learn they cannot own everything in this world." was going a bit beyond an extreme, considering many other companies try to pull similar, if more more questionable stunts concerning patents and patent infringement.

I was saying the truth, Apple can't own everything they want. No one can! :P

HotelUser
03-04-2010, 02:21 PM
I pointed out negative factors of both Apple and Microsoft in this thread. Do not dwell on my dislike of one company's actions when I don't approve of both.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!