PDA

View Full Version : Sharing my WiFi Connection

mb-group.net
03-04-2010, 08:43 PM
Hi there,

So I have a Windows 7 computer, and just got an XBOX 360. I don't really want to have to fork out for the wireless adapter, so I was thinking as my computer is next to the XBOX I could share the internet connection.

I have the WIRELESS N router in the other room, connected to my Windows 7 (Professional) desktop. Would I be able to take the WIRELESS N signal coming into the computer (via a PCI card built in) and share it out the ether net port to the XBOX's Ethernet port?

By doing this, would I lose the internet connection on my desktop computer (NOT ideal)?

My computer is a Dell Inspiron 530, with a quad core processor and 4GB/RAM.

Also, could I use a standard Wireless G Belkin USB adapter with the XBOX, if that's easier than sharing my 'net connection out the PC?

Thanks so much!

Matt

Markeh
03-04-2010, 08:47 PM
Your router is a Wireless N, and your USB adapter is a Wireless G, so unless your network is using 802.11g, you'll need a new USB adapter. I don't know if a standard one works with the Xbox, but I'd love to know myself, tbh.

And it'd be better if you could plug the Xbox directly into the router via ethernet, but that'll involve cabling through walls or along skirting boards.

Jordy
03-04-2010, 08:53 PM
As it happens, that's exactly how it works. I'm pretty sure you can use internet on your laptop too but it might be a bit slower than usual.

This thread here explains how to do it
http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=436983&page=1

The only difference is, on Windows Vista (and presumably Windows 7), you go to Control Panel then Network & Sharing Center then click "Manage Network Connections" down the left to do the connection bridging :)

mb-group.net
03-04-2010, 08:54 PM
Hi, thanks for the fast response :)

We have a Wireless G router as well - so that's not a problem. I can't actually use the XBOX until I get a VGA lead (ordered, should arrive Tuesday/Wednesday) - so I'd like to have the internet sorted before it arrives.

Router is the other side of the house :( Can't do that.

Matt

Markeh
03-04-2010, 08:56 PM
I don't know much about it, but apparantly Powerline networking is a solution.

mb-group.net
03-04-2010, 09:01 PM
As it happens, that's exactly how it works. I'm pretty sure you can use internet on your laptop too but it might be a bit slower than usual.

This thread here explains how to do it
http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=436983&page=1

The only difference is, on Windows Vista (and presumably Windows 7), you go to Control Panel then Network & Sharing Center then click "Manage Network Connections" down the left to do the connection bridging :)

So that's how to do it... Thanks! I'll report back when my XBOX VGA cable arrives next week when I can use it. I've gone ahead and pressed to bridge connections, so it should work when i first use it!

Could I take that one step further and add a Linksys wired router at the end of the cable, and share it out to multiple devices?

Thanks for your help, REP for all!

Jordy
03-04-2010, 09:06 PM
So that's how to do it... Thanks! I'll report back when my XBOX VGA cable arrives next week when I can use it. I've gone ahead and pressed to bridge connections, so it should work when i first use it!

Could I take that one step further and add a Linksys wired router at the end of the cable, and share it out to multiple devices?

Thanks for your help, REP for all!Hmm I'm not definite but I can't think of any reason as to why it couldn't do that.

Recursion
03-04-2010, 09:19 PM
Wireless Router ~WIRELESS WAVEZ~ > PC > In Windows highlight the wired connection and the wireless connection, right click > Bridge adapters > Plug whatever the hell you like into the wired port.

(If you're going to use a router for this, turn off DHCP).

You cannot use a USB wireless dongle with the 360 unless it's the Official MS one.

Wireless G/B/N are all interchangeable on about every router out there (I also think Wireless A is too).

mb-group.net
03-04-2010, 09:23 PM
Wireless Router ~WIRELESS WAVEZ~ > PC > In Windows highlight the wired connection and the wireless connection, right click > Bridge adapters > Plug whatever the hell you like into the wired port.

You cannot use a USB wireless dongle with the 360 unless it's the Official MS one.

Wireless G/B/N are all interchangeable on about every router out there (I also think Wireless A is too).

Heya there,

I've decided to use a router for flexibility. How do I turn off the DHCP in Windows 7?

Thanks!

(BTW, LOVE your avatar, I'm a BIG fan of Android. I haven't got my Android phone yet (BlackBerry contract) but sure am excited for when I do get it!)

Recursion
03-04-2010, 09:29 PM
You turn off DHCP on the second router you are using to split the port up, you would go to the second router's IP address in your browser (probably 192.168.1.254 or 192.168.1.1) and find the option somewhere. You may need to turn your wireless off and give your wired connection a static IP like 192.168.1.220 or something before you can do it though.

mb-group.net
03-04-2010, 10:07 PM
You turn off DHCP on the second router you are using to split the port up, you would go to the second router's IP address in your browser (probably 192.168.1.254 or 192.168.1.1) and find the option somewhere. You may need to turn your wireless off and give your wired connection a static IP like 192.168.1.220 or something before you can do it though.

Hi there,

I'm just plugging in the router, and I'm not sure whether to connect the main machine (which provides the internet) to the uplink port (where the internet would be plugged into) or the other ports for the devices?

Recursion
03-04-2010, 10:27 PM
Use uplink :)

mb-group.net
03-04-2010, 10:54 PM
Heya there,

I've plugged my desktop into uplink and I'm now using a laptop connected into ethernet to turn off the DHCP.

I'll update this on how it goes. Thanks!

Update: I've gone and plugged in the laptop - logged into the router's admin config and turned DHCP off, but the internet on that laptop isn't working. I then removed the router from the 'equation' and the laptop is working. What other settings may be preventing this from functioning when the router is connected?

I have noticed when I use the router the 'Local area connection' inside 'Network connections' shows unplugged, which I can't quite understand. Is this normal?

Recursion
03-04-2010, 11:09 PM
Try changing the router port to one that isn't uplink then, if that doesn't work then I doubt you'll be able to use the router :(

mb-group.net
03-04-2010, 11:11 PM
Hey there, I've got it, thanks! I changed the uplink cable to the 'WAN' port, and it fixed it! Woot!

Now I'm wondering if my XBOX will be able to read my computer's Windows Media Center installation, or if I will have to install a second ethernet card in my computer and connect it to a standard port in the router. Do you have any ideas for this?

Recursion
03-04-2010, 11:13 PM
It should be able to see your media centre connection, the router is just acting as a switch in theory

mb-group.net
03-04-2010, 11:14 PM
Awesome! I'm super happy with that!

Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it! I beleive I've already given you a +REP for your help, but I'm going to double check now.

Recursion
03-04-2010, 11:18 PM
Haha, no probs, If it doesn't happen to see media centre then try setting a static IP on your 360 :)

Inscribe
04-04-2010, 12:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dg1Un5DVqs

Recursion
04-04-2010, 07:13 AM
Was there really any need for that post? ;)

Markeh
04-04-2010, 03:44 PM

Whats the problem with other USB dongles on the Xbox then?

Recursion
04-04-2010, 04:16 PM
Whats the problem with other USB dongles on the Xbox then?

MS just don't let you

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!