PDA

View Full Version : Should written exams be replaced with other forms of assessment? [ENDS 18/04/2010]

Grig
04-04-2010, 04:34 PM
Should written exams be abolished and replaced with other forms of assessment?

ENDS 18/04/2010

For many, the experience of writing examinations at the end of a school year or a specific course such as GCSE or A levels can be quite an emotion drenching and stressful affair.

Recently there has been new evidence that has suggested that the written form of examinations is not the way forward. Arguments that have been put forward include the fact that assessment forms such as coursework are better than examinations, in the sense that they take into account the research and understanding of a specific subject. Others argue that exams help apply knowledge into a specific subject area. Some curriculums have already been tailor made to be based fully on coursework, such as the BTEC curriculum.

Hence, the question up for debate is whether written examinations should indeed be abolished and replaced with other forms of assessment, such as that of coursework?

MrPinkPanther
04-04-2010, 04:48 PM
It would be naive to say exams should be abolished since there is no viable alternative. To a certain extent coursework can often measure how long a student has spent on a piece of work opposed to whether they are good at that subject or not. Equally coursework is much more open to assisted help from friends, teachers or even the internet so it becomes less about the students work and more about who they know. The only way to do coursework fairly would be to do it in class, in silence and in timed conditions which is an exam is it not?

Tash.
04-04-2010, 05:35 PM
I don't think they should.

Coursework is fine, it does help a student who is perhaps not so good at exams or suffers from intense nerves within them. However, I don't think that coursework is always a true representation of a persons knowledge on a topic. It is easy to produce a piece of coursework that does not necessarily come from the person whose name is on it and often comes from work that has been regurgitated from sources online or from older siblings/friends. Plus, it is extremely hard to police how much a teacher helps the student with it. For that reason, it is quite unfair also. An example would be that in one class, the teacher may be very happy to help a student improve their work, and will help them with a lot of knowledge input. However, in another class the teacher may be strictly sticking to the rules and refuse to help. That provides an inconsistency and therefore how well you do could depend on the luck of the draw.

I accept that exams are very stressful, i've been through them myself, at GCSE and at A-Level and it's not easy when you fail one to pick yourself up and try again. However, I think that exams teach a good lesson, a valuable lesson. Nothing is earnt without hard work, and you certainly do need to give a lot of input to an A-Level exam to even pass it. Exams do often differ in difficulty between years, so again it is a matter of luck as to which paper you recieve, and largely which examiner you get to mark the paper. It can be said that passing or failing an exam is no indication of how good at a subject you are, perhaps you are just good at storing the information for a short enough period of time to pass the exam, and then forget it all. Or alternatively, it's also possible to know the content and still fail the exam because you haven't answered the question in the required way.

In the end, i've suffered no lasting damage from failing an exam, you must simply get back up and try again, eventually you will pass if you have the correct desire to. I think exams should stay.

GommeInc
04-04-2010, 05:45 PM
Hard to say :/ I prefer coursework because you have to put alot of thought into it and at the end you come out learning waaaay too much about the topic, while with essays it just relies on how well your short term book cramming memory is :/ Referencing in assessments and constructing a reasoned argument in a few thousand words seems far more stress free and worthwhile at the end, and it means you have to put alot of effort into them. You can also put all the information relevant at the time in place, while with essays you can't re-structure or add anything important in once you've written a huge chunk.

Can't say I'd worry if essays went, but at the same time they do have their purpose.

Phil
04-04-2010, 05:46 PM
I do not think they should be completely abolished altough I do think assessment work would be a great benefit because it would take piles of stress from studying off a student. In Ireland we don't have very much coursework. We only have it for twoor three subjects which is fine because it already hands you a percentage of our total mark before going into te exam. For that reason assessment should be brought into the education system.

Technologic
04-04-2010, 06:46 PM
No because anybody could get into uni. There are far too many applications thanks to labours strategy of getting the working class into uni.

Yupt
04-04-2010, 06:50 PM
Exams, however accurate they maybe, I think is the wrong solution for achieving those much needed A-levels/GCSE's.
Coursework should have a much bigger overall effect on the final grade for the chosen subject, although the controversy of whether it be the student's own work or simply taken from the internet via copy and paste. Observed coursework I think is the way forward. Where you do coursework completely under the eyes of a teacher/examiner - over the time of a few weeks, or however long the teacher for that subject gives you as deadlines. You might say this is just an easy way for students to achieve high grades, but what if for each piece of coursework, you have to complete two pieces, one using any resources wanted, and another with no resources (Cept ya head ;))

Phil
04-04-2010, 10:28 PM
That's a very good point. In Ireland it's actually the rules where all coursework must be completed during class time and they have to list their sources so the examiner can make sure they just don't go onto the internet and copy and past everyword. Most schools actually their coursework in handwriting for the reason on copy and paste.

GommeInc
04-04-2010, 11:19 PM
I don't get all this fear of students copying other peoples work and other plagiarism fears :S Universities let do with alot of coursework and essays, so it won't make much difference if schools and colleges drop essays, seeing as universities rely on coursework for the majority of the courses.

Inseriousity.
05-04-2010, 09:34 AM
I think there is possibility of oral presentations. I, personally, am not a very confident speaker, much preferring to write but there are people who are the opposite and as far as I've been told, you're expected to do oral presentations at university so it could be a good way to boost confidence with shy speakers and give the not-so-good writers a chance to shine.

However, written exams should still continue because I prefer having a 2 hour exam rather than a month coursework. I just lose interest too soon and so my marks tend to decrease nearer the end... :P

e5
05-04-2010, 11:21 AM
For many, they would personally choose to have the written exams, just for sense of ease, and the lack of 'botheredness'. It's not the right thing to do however, as said before, it would be naive and the fact that there isn't really any other alternatives other than coursework, it shouldn't go ahead.

Yupt
05-04-2010, 02:56 PM
What they've started doing, (something I just completed for my coursework) is ask for at lease one piece of coursework to be completed in handwriting, so that when it comes to the exam they can compare the handwriting. I guess some idea that makes them think that it's a more secure system. Anyway, I feel that Exams are a unfair test for ones knowledge, this being because somebody could be very good at a subject knowing all the dates; be it History, or all the materials; whether it DT, but struggles under exam conditions because of nerves or just how they go about completing an exam. If there was a more friendly way of assessing ones ability other than exams then exams should be immediately abolished and replaced with this new logic.

kuzkasate
05-04-2010, 03:26 PM
Well it depends really. Depends on what the new form of assessment it will be. For example, some people may find it very hard to interpret their thought or ideas on to a piece of paper. For example, some disabled people will find it almost impossible. Perhaps there should be different types of assessments. For example, you have a writing and an oral because then you can compare the two to see whether your genuinly good or find it easier to do a written rather than a oral.

This will then show who's capable of what and if say one person has done really well in a written, but did terribly in the oral, then they know that perhaps they are a shy person and are not confident.

However, with things like coursework you can find your answers on the internet, or by asking/copying friends. That means really, your not learning but if there was a speaking assessment then it would be clearler if you've revised and know your stuff, or if you've just gone, did the coursework and forgot what you did.

MrPinkPanther
05-04-2010, 08:49 PM
What they've started doing, (something I just completed for my coursework) is ask for at lease one piece of coursework to be completed in handwriting, so that when it comes to the exam they can compare the handwriting. I guess some idea that makes them think that it's a more secure system. Anyway, I feel that Exams are a unfair test for ones knowledge, this being because somebody could be very good at a subject knowing all the dates; be it History, or all the materials; whether it DT, but struggles under exam conditions because of nerves or just how they go about completing an exam. If there was a more friendly way of assessing ones ability other than exams then exams should be immediately abolished and replaced with this new logic.
Untrue. People use nervousness as an excuse. I happen to get extremely nervous and stressed out and yes I do worse in real exams than mocks but people are going to face stress and strain throughout their life. Exams help you deal with it and if anything factoring in stress is a good thing, after all you're going to get it in a job aren't you? The fact remains that if you know your stuff then you know your stuff. It may be more difficult but if you really try you can still get the grade that you should, I mean I got an A in A Level History despite being Ill that morning from nerves.

Circadia
06-04-2010, 03:38 PM
In my science class at school we do app tests aswell as standard written exams. my teacher thinks the written test put loads of pressure on us so we don't do very well and get low scores. some people preferr the app tests to the written exams but personally i think they shouldn't abolish written exam just offer an other alternative like the app tests

DaveTaylor
06-04-2010, 04:33 PM
My whole first year of University has been assessed via Coursework, there is no actual official exam, and I bet about 50% of the class would have failed, including myself if there was an actual exam, exams cause people stress and other mental issues, I myself being schizophrenic get rather rattled by Exams, coursework is a nice easy way and a more relaxing way to work towards your grand, this actually shows you can do work and not just learn things and repeat them within a test, I believe exams should be removed and that coursework or similar ways of assessment should be enforced.

Geraint
06-04-2010, 11:25 PM
Coursework is so easy in some subjects they might aswell just give you answers.

MrPinkPanther
07-04-2010, 10:14 AM
I agree with coursework at a degree level where it would be near impossible to just copy your work off of the internet due to the high level of the work. It's just A Levels and GCSE's that I believe it is flawed at.

Black_Apalachi
15-04-2010, 11:29 PM
Exams is how it's always been done and some people are better at exams than coursework so until I see a decent reason to change things, I say no.

Jam
16-04-2010, 12:18 AM
They need to change the IT assessment. It doesn't measure your ability in ICT at all just how well you can copy exactly what the teacher just did. Plus most of the work involved could be done by someone in primary school.

Caution
16-04-2010, 12:38 AM
No, it's a stupid idea. People need to be able to learn how to cope with the stress that comes with exams. Exams show that you have to work to actually get something, but I suppose that could be argued for coursework as well.

Swastika
16-04-2010, 01:11 PM
When i was at school me and my friends copied most of our coursework of each other, so most of it wasn't our own work, just our own words.
Everything should stay the same, i had to do exams so why shouldnt the new kids at school? When everybody talks about stress from GCSE's and tests and school, it isnt half as bad as what its made out to be if im honest.
I had to do coursework and exams, and its not as bad as everybody makes out, best years of my life so far lol - school was quality.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!