PDA

View Full Version : Apple sells over 300,000 iPad tablets on US launch day

HotelUser
05-04-2010, 02:04 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/05/apple-sells-over-300-000-ipad-tablets-on-us-launch-day/

We heard some pretty ridiculous estimates over the weekend, but these figures are straight out of Cupertino's mouth: over 300,000 iPads were sold on April 3rd. Specifically, that many were moved in the US as of midnight (PT, we're assuming) on Saturday, though this does include deliveries of pre-ordered units to customers, deliveries to channel partners (such as Best Buy) and sales at Apple Retail Stores. We should point out, though, that just because Best Buy purchased a bundle of 'em doesn't mean that end users have (yet), but still, this is a pretty impressive feat for something that not everyone was convinced that they "needed" in January. If you'll recall, Apple only sold 270,000 iPhones during its first 30 hours on the market, yet it moved over a million iPhone 3GS units during that handset's opening weekend. In related news, iPad users also downloaded over a million apps and over 250,000 ebooks from the iBookstore during launch day, with Steve Jobs himself noting that "iPad users, on average, downloaded more than three apps and close to one book within hours of unpacking their new iPad." Now, let's see if these guys can keep pace through the first full week.

Interesting, it outsold the iPhone on its first day.

Adamm
05-04-2010, 02:13 PM
I somehow think that those figures have been 'distorted'.

Colin-Roberts
05-04-2010, 02:29 PM
I tend to agree

Recursion
05-04-2010, 02:29 PM
Just a shame the rumor is it's gunna be £499 here. Would have bought one otherwise.

HotelUser
05-04-2010, 02:35 PM
I guess people like there oversized iPods more than some of you first anticipated :O

Adamm
05-04-2010, 02:38 PM
Everyone who I have spoken to/and/or seen posts on forums have disliked the iPad.

It's very hard to believe.

jackass
05-04-2010, 02:45 PM
I'm confused on who would want these? They look and seem ridiculous! :P

wixard
05-04-2010, 02:45 PM
i'm not gonna lie if i had money to spend i'd get one

no they do not they look awesome

HotelUser
05-04-2010, 02:57 PM
Everyone who I have spoken to/and/or seen posts on forums have disliked the iPad.

It's very hard to believe.

I'm very amused at most of you guys on the forum hating on it actually. I'm not saying you don't have a right to dislike it, but the users on this forum are the only people I know who don't like it :P

Adamm
05-04-2010, 03:04 PM
It's a big iPod. What's to like?

Firehorse
05-04-2010, 03:05 PM
I'm very amused at most of you guys on the forum hating on it actually. I'm not saying you don't have a right to dislike it, but the users on this forum are the only people I know who don't like it :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKAm1OmdFfU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-zaf_VH2kQ

Yupt
05-04-2010, 03:10 PM
I don't see the point in them? Arn't they just stretched versions of the iPhone but without a phone.. Correct me if im wrong, I didn't research them 'cos I heard about them, and deemed it pointless.
Can someone tell me what is actually does? lmao
btw - im not saying I wouldn't have one if I could! Just don't understand it's concept.

myke
05-04-2010, 03:13 PM
Not as well as was estimated apparently...
http://mashable.com/2010/04/04/700000-ipads-sold/

paha. meh, i'm sitting on the fence with it...

GommeInc
05-04-2010, 03:22 PM
I know more people who see no point in it or dislike it, than like it :/ All the facts and figures, specifications and what not released about it show it to be a pretty boring product, the only pros seem to be a larger screen, and that's about it. Then again, there are alot of... Let's call them idiots or Apple religious believers... who will buy anything with a fruit on it, so it's more than likely the hate mongerer known as Jobs must of got quite a gaggle of idiots when he did his speech about it (I call them idiots, because that speech was pretty stupid :P One of the reasons I can't take the company seriously anymore. They fail).

It'll be interesting to see how this all progresses.

HotelUser
05-04-2010, 03:25 PM
-videos-

There's videos what hate on England too. Does the fact that someone made a video about it mean England is truly horrible? Anyone can make a video.

It's a big iPod. What's to like?

Ask the 300 thousand people who bought one? I'm not getting one, I'm getting a WVGA android phone instead.

N!ck
05-04-2010, 03:28 PM
I think I'll wait for the iPad nano.

Oh, what?

http://www.upenn.edu/computing/provider/pda/images/iphone/iPod_Touch.jpg

GommeInc
05-04-2010, 03:29 PM
I think I'll wait for the iPad nano.

Oh, what?

http://www.upenn.edu/computing/provider/pda/images/iphone/iPod_Touch.jpg
OMG! Is that what the iPad Nano looks like? :O

HotelUser
05-04-2010, 03:32 PM
hey guys why do you always have to hate on apple in these threads thats not right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Firehorse
05-04-2010, 03:41 PM
There's videos what hate on England too. Does the fact that someone made a video about it mean England is truly horrible? Anyone can make a video.

But the difference between those videos and videos about a product is very large. You're talking about the difference between consumerism and culture, making such a comparison is a stupid thing to do.

People hate on cultures because of racial opinions, whereas an opinion over a product is justified and those videos are simply mocking the true facts, not creating hate.

N!ck
05-04-2010, 03:42 PM
hey guys why do you always have to hate on apple in these threads thats not right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

I hate on pointless products, not Apple.

If it ran a modified version on OS X then it would have a point.

GommeInc
05-04-2010, 03:50 PM

If it ran a modified version on OS X then it would have a point.
I'm with the smarty pants ;)

A watered-down OS X would of made this product perfect and would of actually of gone with what Jobs had to say during the release notes a "cross between an iPhone (not sure why the dimbat called it an iPhone, more like a Touch) and a MacBook", as a sort of challenger in the NetBook market. It's not even scraping the NetBook market, it's enjoying foreplay in the iPod camp, it doesn't give the MacBook camp a glance. It couldn't be any further away from the NetBook market if it wore pink and went into a footballers dressing room screaming "I'M A FRIEND OF DOROTHY, A FRIEND OF DOROTHY." It has to rely on MacBooks and real computers to work, it's an unattractive product, both technically and physically (take a look at the photo-frame motif and the badly placed icons) :P

Colin-Roberts
05-04-2010, 04:23 PM
if someone mannaged to put linux or maybe some other sort of modified os onto it it would be worth it

Recursion
05-04-2010, 04:28 PM
It's not the best product out there, but in my eyes, now I've actually seen it launched, I could see many situation where personally I would use it.

I guess you either love it or you hate it to be honest... Although I wanna see what the MS Courier will be like if it ever gets released, or some of HP's slate PCs.

Hitman
05-04-2010, 04:38 PM
I like them and if I had the money I'd buy one.

GommeInc
05-04-2010, 04:55 PM
One thing it does do though :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAl28d6tbko

Papershop
05-04-2010, 05:09 PM
Not as well as was estimated apparently...
http://mashable.com/2010/04/04/700000-ipads-sold/

paha. meh, i'm sitting on the fence with it...

That estimation is for the weekend, not just the launch day.

Although im not so sure what extra the ipad has to offer, i can imagine a few business's buying these.

Markeh
05-04-2010, 05:25 PM

If it ran a modified version on OS X WITH FLASH then it would have a point.

Fixed.

I mean, Flash is a bare necessity in these times. This poster (I made, thank you ICHC :P) sums up the current iPhone/iPad OS Flash debate:

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/3/25/129140252986354245.jpg

Hitman
05-04-2010, 05:40 PM
How come it doesn't have flash? That's a pretty important feature...

xxMATTGxx
05-04-2010, 06:05 PM
How come it doesn't have flash? That's a pretty important feature...

Apple don't like flash one bit and won't let Adobe have it on the iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad. Instead the users have to use content that supports HTML5.

HotelUser
05-04-2010, 06:09 PM
Apple don't like flash one bit and won't let Adobe have it on the iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad. Instead the users have to use content that supports HTML5.

Steve says flash isn't in the future, wonder if he's right.

Recursion
05-04-2010, 06:11 PM
Flash may not be the future, but the iPad is not the future, the iPad is now.

Firehorse
05-04-2010, 06:13 PM
Steve says flash isn't in the future, wonder if he's right.

maybe he is, but it is certainly in the present and catering to the future but not the present day is not a clever idea. Thats like producing a game for the playstation4 before its been created and before the ps3 has become obsolete. Or creating a game that can only be run on the very newest graphics card, without a way of playing it on older ones - it loses you money and sales and annoys consumers.

HotelUser
05-04-2010, 06:14 PM
Flash isn't the best language for complex web based games. That would be JAVA.

Firehorse
05-04-2010, 06:20 PM
Flash isn't the best language for complex web based games. That would be JAVA.

I was using games as an example of a product, not to do with how they actually work.

Jonster
05-04-2010, 06:41 PM
Not sure if this has been said already, as there are 4 pages and frankly just reading the first page provoked this response, but the iPad is targetted towards business (wo)men and those on the go that need to attend to documents, calendars - just general computer/work stuff... not your average teen on a Habbo forum. So I think you will find that 300,000 is indeed a very likely figure.

AgnesIO
05-04-2010, 06:49 PM
I'm sue Windows 7 sold more than 300,000 copies on it's first day.

And 'Flash isn't the future' - Windows 7 isn't the future, PS3 is not the future - peope still use it as whether it is the future or not its things that are around now that MAKE the future. Another prime of example of some of the idiotic things Mr Steve Jobs says.

Recursion
05-04-2010, 07:37 PM
http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/04/05/hp-is-really-excited-to-show-you-their-slate/

Screw the iPad. HP's Slate runs Windows 7, is ~$600 (a bit more expensive than the iPad, but when you think about it... HP actually believe in a thing called exchange rates for us british! :O)

HotelUser
05-04-2010, 07:37 PM
I'm sue Windows 7 sold more than 300,000 copies on it's first day.

And 'Flash isn't the future' - Windows 7 isn't the future, PS3 is not the future - peope still use it as whether it is the future or not its things that are around now that MAKE the future. Another prime of example of some of the idiotic things Mr Steve Jobs says.

Why is it always you that turns threads into Microsoft vs Apple arguments? :rolleyes:

taken from another thread where I was told not to do what you're doing.

xxMATTGxx
05-04-2010, 07:41 PM
http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/04/05/hp-is-really-excited-to-show-you-their-slate/

Screw the iPad. HP's Slate runs Windows 7, is ~$600 (a bit more expensive than the iPad, but when you think about it... HP actually believe in a thing called exchange rates for us british! :O)

That Slate sure does look sexy. Can't wait for that to be released!

AgnesIO
05-04-2010, 07:43 PM
taken from another thread where I was told not to do what you're doing.

Ok sorry..

I am sure people went to watch Harry Potter on the first day than bought an iPad.

Since there is a new rule meaning microsoft and apple are not allowed to be used as examples (even though they are the two biggest tech sellers in the world..)

HotelUser
05-04-2010, 07:43 PM
Nah, I love comparing the two. I just couldn't help stick that quote in there. Why should we go after the Mac user and say nothing to the Windows user :P

Ok sorry..

I am sure people went to watch Harry Potter on the first day than bought an iPad.

Since there is a new rule meaning microsoft and apple are not allowed to be used as examples (even though they are the two biggest tech sellers in the world..)

N!ck
05-04-2010, 07:55 PM

A USB port and memory card reader. What a novelty.

Sharon
05-04-2010, 08:22 PM
david why do you hate on windows and preach to us for us to be a mac.

they probably x5'd the real figure.

HotelUser
05-04-2010, 08:26 PM
For someone who hates Windows it's quite strange that I use it myself :)
http://i42.tinypic.com/2yoygds.png

GommeInc
05-04-2010, 08:29 PM
Not sure if this has been said already, as there are 4 pages and frankly just reading the first page provoked this response, but the iPad is targetted towards business (wo)men and those on the go that need to attend to documents, calendars - just general computer/work stuff... not your average teen on a Habbo forum. So I think you will find that 300,000 is indeed a very likely figure.
I can't for the life of me figure out what document features would be involved with this, and I can't help but think people tapping on a screen not being able to see what they've written (thinking huge documents here) would be at all useful. Also, it is unlikely 300,000 of those people are just business men and women... You said it yourself, people off here are interested and thinking about getting one, so why would it be any different in the US?

Still looks like a picture frame, but at least it got a decent enough name, some decent expandibility and an OS worth talking about :P

AgnesIO
05-04-2010, 08:53 PM
Nah, I love comparing the two. I just couldn't help stick that quote in there. Why should we go after the Mac user and say nothing to the Windows user :P

Aha xD

I love ipods, I love macbook pro's - but I hate the look of the iPad - it just doesn't seem to have anything worth paying the money for.

Firehorse
05-04-2010, 09:18 PM
For someone who hates Windows it's quite strange that I use it myself :)
http://i42.tinypic.com/2yoygds.png

ilySharon does have a point though, you seem to really like debating in apple's favour. How much are they paying you?

Adamm
05-04-2010, 09:21 PM
I am writing this on an iMac.

I do not see any functionality in the iPad more than I do in the iPod or a smart phone. It costs more than either of the aforementioned products and does, probably less than them as well.

It's not hate on Apple, it's hate on iPad. And with good reason, too.

Jonster
05-04-2010, 09:30 PM
I can't for the life of me figure out what document features would be involved with this, and I can't help but think people tapping on a screen not being able to see what they've written (thinking huge documents here) would be at all useful. Also, it is unlikely 300,000 of those people are just business men and women...

Actually read what I wrote then reply back... I said that the iPad is targetted towards business people, not did I say that they are just for business men and women. Frankly I think its a useless product - you already have laptops and netbooks, but I am guessing its designed more for ease - you can hold it in the palm of your hand rather than it sit on your lap, you can take it out of your bag and thats it, no hassle in opening it etc etc.

Documents wise I am guessing it will come with your standard apples equivalent to word, excel, powerpoint, ... the whole works. Like others, I'm on the fence with this one, but I can definitely see it being popular within businesses, especially in the stock exchanges.

xxMATTGxx
05-04-2010, 09:45 PM
Actually read what I wrote then reply back... I said that the iPad is targetted towards business people, not did I say that they are just for business men and women. Frankly I think its a useless product - you already have laptops and netbooks, but I am guessing its designed more for ease - you can hold it in the palm of your hand rather than it sit on your lap, you can take it out of your bag and thats it, no hassle in opening it etc etc.

Documents wise I am guessing it will come with your standard apples equivalent to word, excel, powerpoint, ... the whole works. Like others, I'm on the fence with this one, but I can definitely see it being popular within businesses, especially in the stock exchanges.

They have iPad iWork apps which need to be bought from the Apple store. :P

HotelUser
05-04-2010, 09:45 PM
I am writing this on an iMac.

I do not see any functionality in the iPad more than I do in the iPod or a smart phone. It costs more than either of the aforementioned products and does, probably less than them as well.

It's not hate on Apple, it's hate on iPad. And with good reason, too.

Read up a few posts, I said I'm getting a Nexus One as opposed to the iPad ;)

ilySharon does have a point though, you seem to really like debating in apple's favour. How much are they paying you?

I'm not buying an iPad, I am posting from a Core 2 Quad Acer sporting Windows 7, my phone of choice is a Google Android phone.

If they're paying me I should be fired.

xxMATTGxx
05-04-2010, 09:48 PM
Read up a few posts, I said I'm getting a Nexus One as opposed to the iPad ;)

I'm not buying an iPad, I am posting from a Core 2 Quad Acer sporting Windows 7, my phone of choice is a Google Android phone.

If they're paying me I should be fired.

They won't because they know Android will over take iPhone sales? LOL. Nar, I'm just joking with you there. But time will tell! I think having school books and such loaded onto the device wouldn't be such a bad idea. Saves you from carrying them all with you, although it would mean you would have to close one to see another due to the no "multi-tasking".

GommeInc
05-04-2010, 10:54 PM

The way you worded it came off as "300,000 is a likely figure for just business men and women, not users on a Habbo forum". That's how I read it at least. Still, Apple originally advertised it as an entertainment device, with some places praising it as a rival to the Nintendo DS due to the game functionality.

HotelUser
05-04-2010, 11:08 PM
They won't because they know Android will over take iPhone sales? LOL. Nar, I'm just joking with you there. But time will tell! I think having school books and such loaded onto the device wouldn't be such a bad idea. Saves you from carrying them all with you, although it would mean you would have to close one to see another due to the no "multi-tasking".

Apparently after jailbroken you can get past this, like on an iPhone/pod.

I wouldn't mind using this for a school organization device either, actually. For that pricetag though....

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!