PDA

View Full Version : Malware Troubles.

PaulMacC
09-04-2010, 10:37 AM
Alright, about a few days ago I got a program pop-up called Vista Security 2010. I did not install this program nor did I know how to remove it. With a bit of googling I bumped into Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, So I ran it and it went away. It came back today, did the same thing. Then all my google searches started to redirect to different websites. Then suddenly I tried to boot and got BSOD'd, booted 3 continous times, same thing. Finally got it to work to post here.
Any ideas?
Going to run a AVG scan + a MAlwarebytes scan.

xxMATTGxx
09-04-2010, 11:12 AM
Alright, about a few days ago I got a program pop-up called Vista Security 2010. I did not install this program nor did I know how to remove it. With a bit of googling I bumped into Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, So I ran it and it went away. It came back today, did the same thing. Then all my google searches started to redirect to different websites. Then suddenly I tried to boot and got BSOD'd, booted 3 continous times, same thing. Finally got it to work to post here.
Any ideas?
Going to run a AVG scan + a MAlwarebytes scan.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-antivirus-vista-2010 < I have never had this or tried what the guide is doing. So not sure if it fully removes it but it is worth a try.

PaulMacC
09-04-2010, 11:16 AM
Thanks but that was the thing I used to remove the program in the first place.
I scanned my PC with Malwarebytes and I had 6 traces, so I deleted them. Now scanning with AVG and then going for a reboot.

xxMATTGxx
09-04-2010, 11:34 AM
Thanks but that was the thing I used to remove the program in the first place.
I scanned my PC with Malwarebytes and I had 6 traces, so I deleted them. Now scanning with AVG and then going for a reboot.

Did you scroll further down where it mentions the associated files and where they should be located?

Elektro
09-04-2010, 12:47 PM
I've dealt with these before while interning. You will probably have to re-install your operating system if you can't get rid of it with Malware Bytes. :(

Firehorse
09-04-2010, 01:13 PM
i've run into stuff like this, incredibly hard to get rid of, 99% of the time you're best off formatting your hard drive and re-installing your OS.

Hiro
09-04-2010, 05:39 PM
Don't forget to run in safe mode and then scan.

Alexx..
09-04-2010, 05:47 PM
Tried system restore? I got this virus before and it was a pain in the *REMOVED* arse to get rid of, if system restore doesn't work you'll have to format your hard drive or boot into safe mode and get rid of it that way.

Edited by Bolt660 (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not avoid the filter.

Colin-Roberts
09-04-2010, 09:53 PM
Symantec had a removal tool for it aswell i believe.

Agnostic Bear
09-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Reformat. Now.

PaulMacC
09-04-2010, 11:08 PM
I system restored two weeks back. I'd reformat although I haven't got a external HDD functional at the moment to transfer files.
I mean, I have a 160GB iPod Classic that I can put into HDD mode if that is any use.
Any other ideas?

xxMATTGxx
09-04-2010, 11:10 PM
I system restored two weeks back. I'd reformat although I haven't got a external HDD functional at the moment to transfer files.
I mean, I have a 160GB iPod Classic that I can put into HDD mode if that is any use.
Any other ideas?

If you still haven't been able to get rid of it, then format is the only way to go.

PaulMacC
09-04-2010, 11:18 PM
Thats going to be a pain in the ass. So far since the reformat I've seen nothing.

PaulMacC
10-04-2010, 01:24 AM
Thats going to be a pain in the ass. So far since the reformat I've seen nothing.
*System Restore.
So, I've system restored a week back and so far when scanning with Malware Bytes I found 1 trace. I deleted it and so far I'm good. Do you guys still recommend a reformat. I've lost my OS Disc and I dont have the money to fork out for a new one right now. Most of the software I use can only be used on a Windows/Mac OS so I cant really go for Linux. Would System Restoring to when I first got the computer be an alternate option than reformatting?

Firehorse
10-04-2010, 09:04 AM
*System Restore.
So, I've system restored a week back and so far when scanning with Malware Bytes I found 1 trace. I deleted it and so far I'm good. Do you guys still recommend a reformat. I've lost my OS Disc and I dont have the money to fork out for a new one right now. Most of the software I use can only be used on a Windows/Mac OS so I cant really go for Linux. Would System Restoring to when I first got the computer be an alternate option than reformatting?

it'l be embedded into the system files and registry by now, whatever you do with system restore. Wait a few days or so and you'll probably find it showing up again.

PaulMacC
10-04-2010, 09:48 AM
So really a reformat is the only way, damn. I havent any money for a new OS either.
Any ideas?

Apolva
10-04-2010, 10:10 AM
Really a reformat would be the best bet, but try this:

1) Download Kaspersky Anti-virus 2010 trial (30 days, fully-functioning trial)
2) Reboot into safe mode (this prevents the virus from auto-running, howto: http://www.pchell.com/support/safemode.shtml)
3) Install Kaspersky while in safe mode, perform a full scan and remove any threats
4) Reboot, update Kaspersky virus definitions and perform another scan.

Sometimes malware tries to interfere with AV software, so if it won't allow you to download Kaspersky, try downloading on another PC and copying it over.

You said you had a 160GB iPod, surely this would be enough to back up your important files?

PaulMacC
10-04-2010, 10:29 AM
Yeah but I dont have enough money to buy another OS and I lost my OS disk.

jack-bristol
11-04-2010, 03:01 PM
I used my FTP client to delete the file lol

Robbie
13-04-2010, 03:37 PM
get your serial for windows and download a copy then just put your serial in

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!