PDA

View Full Version : Palm is put up for sale!

marriott0.01
12-04-2010, 04:15 AM
April 11 (Bloomberg) -- Palm Inc., creator of the Pre smartphone, put itself up for sale and is seeking bids for the company as early as this week, according to three people familiar with the situation.

The company is working with Goldman Sachs Group Inc. and Frank Quattrone’s Qatalyst Partners to find a buyer, said the people, who declined to be identified because the sale isn’t public. Taiwan’s HTC Corp. and China’s Lenovo Group Ltd. have looked at the company and may be potential bidders, said the people. Dell Inc. also looked at Palm, though it decided against an offer, according to two of the people.

Palm shares surged 32 percent last week on renewed speculation that the Sunnyvale, California-based company would get a takeover bid. Before the rally, the stock had plunged more than 60 percent this year, dragged down by disappointing sales of the Pre and Pixi phones. Chief Executive Officer Jon Rubinstein, who developed Palm’s latest operating system, was counting on the devices to attract customers and restore its status as an industry pioneer.

Palm, which has a market value of $870.8 million, could help its new owner vie with North American smartphone providers Apple Inc., maker of the iPhone, and Research In Motion Ltd., which sells the BlackBerry. Palm’s devices also compete with phones running Google Inc.’s Android software, and its patent holdings span mobile hardware, software and power-saving technologies.

Lynn Fox, a Palm spokeswoman, declined to comment. Qatalyst’s Sally Palmer and Goldman Sach’s Andrea Rachman didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment. Lenovo Chief Financial Officer Wong Wai Ming declined to confirm or deny the company’s interest in Palm, as did Chen Hui-Ming, the finance chief of HTC. Dell spokesman Jess Blackburn didn’t respond to a call for comment.

Palm rose 51 cents, or 11 percent, to $5.16 on April 9 in Nasdaq Stock Market trading.

Elevation’s Investment

For Elevation Partners, the investment firm that owns about 30 percent of Palm, a sale would cap a 16-month roller-coaster ride in which the shares surged more than 10-fold before erasing most of the gain.

After Palm introduced the Pre at the Consumer Electronics Show in January 2009, the stock jumped 80 percent in two days to $5.96. By September, the shares had climbed as high as $17.46. The stock then dropped 79 percent over the next six months as Palm’s sales growth was outpaced by marketing costs, and the company lost market share to Apple and Google.

:O SHOCKING! Since the other day their CEO said they're not selling!

HotelUser
12-04-2010, 11:27 AM
It's for the best, they're not contributing much.

Markeh
13-04-2010, 06:37 AM
I hope HTC don't purchase them. I don't think webOS will suit their handsets.

marriott0.01
13-04-2010, 06:48 AM
It's been rumoured for a long time Nokia is set to buy them, but I doubt that'll happen :\

xxMATTGxx
13-04-2010, 09:15 AM
Would be nice for a good company to buy it out and change it all around.

marriott0.01
13-04-2010, 09:18 AM
Would be nice for a good company to buy it out and change it all around.

What would you define as a 'good' company?

xxMATTGxx
13-04-2010, 09:22 AM
What would you define as a 'good' company?

A company who can bring out good products and offer good services. Like the following:

HP
Sony
Nokia
HTC
Google
Microsoft

and so on.

I'm not saying any of the above will buy it but you get the idea :P

marriott0.01
13-04-2010, 09:31 AM
A company who can bring out good products and offer good services. Like the following:

HP
Sony
Nokia
HTC
Google
Microsoft

and so on.

I'm not saying any of the above will buy it but you get the idea :P

I get the idea, but all those companies would want to use their own OS', except maybe HTC, and Palm WebOS is a blooming good OS.

xxMATTGxx
13-04-2010, 09:33 AM
I get the idea, but all those companies would want to use their own OS', except maybe HTC, and Palm WebOS is a blooming good OS.

Well if that's what they want to do and that's what they want to do. :P I agree with you about HTC as they offer phones with Android, Windows and it has one for some other OS which I have forgot the name of.

marriott0.01
13-04-2010, 09:36 AM
Well if that's what they want to do and that's what they want to do. :P I agree with you about HTC as they offer phones with Android, Windows and it has one for some other OS which I have forgot the name of.

That's their own OS, which doesn't really have a name, it's just 'proprietary,' or what HTC like to call it 'Brew® Mobile Platform' (Which basically means proprietary.) And HTC do use other OS' and it'll be good if they snap up Palm and then continue to use the WebOS. But Palm's been in hot water with Apple before, and it'll just be more to add to HTC's court case list. Ergh :@

xxMATTGxx
13-04-2010, 09:39 AM
That's their own OS, which doesn't really have a name, it's just 'proprietary,' or what HTC like to call it 'Brew® Mobile Platform' (Which basically means proprietary.) And HTC do use other OS' and it'll be good if they snap up Palm and then continue to use the WebOS. But Palm's been in hot water with Apple before, and it'll just be more to add to HTC's court case list. Ergh :@

Only because Apple think they can sue every company in the world for very small things. I find it funny how they think they can just own "Multi-touch"

marriott0.01
13-04-2010, 09:43 AM
Only because Apple think they can sue every company in the world for very small things. I find it funny how they think they can just own "Multi-touch"

It's not just Apple, every company tries to sue every company. I would love to be in Apple's legal team, at least I won't be sitting round doing nothing and be getting paid loads. Apple have done some stupid suing though, they sued Microsoft over a trash can icon from the Original Windows -.-

xxMATTGxx
It's not just Apple, every company tries to sue every company. I would love to be in Apple's legal team, at least I won't be sitting round doing nothing and be getting paid loads. Apple have done some stupid suing though, they sued Microsoft over a trash can icon from the Original Windows -.-

What the hell? LOL A trash can.

Apolva
Notably, most are American companies.

xxMATTGxx
13-04-2010, 09:44 AM
Notably, most are American companies.

You mean US companies trying to sue all the time?

marriott0.01
13-04-2010, 09:45 AM
What the hell? LOL A trash can.

Lols yup, Microsoft used the same icon, so Apple Sued, Microsoft had to pay little damages and change the icon.

HotelUser
13-04-2010, 11:19 AM
Honestly, did anyone here really thing Palm would succeed?

Shall we start the bidding at one dollar, then?

xxMATTGxx
13-04-2010, 11:22 AM

Me and you can buy it and run the company. We can make it sexy!

marriott0.01
13-04-2010, 11:22 AM

I did actually, I love WebOS, I thought it'd be the revival for Palm, obviously palm made huge mistakes though, and one of them has to be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Hk8IzdwYEA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG0P8_O8u64&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9aPp2ldO_k&feature=related

Why choose creepy lady :( Also Sprint was a mistake ;)

HotelUser
13-04-2010, 11:23 AM
Me and you can buy it and run the company. We can make it sexy!

I call being CEO

marriott0.01
13-04-2010, 11:24 AM
I call being CEO

Damn, i should buy it :(

xxMATTGxx
13-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Damn, i should buy it :(

David wishes he was the CEO of the company though. I don't know if I really liked the Palm, it looked like it could go somewhere. But nevermind. :(

marriott0.01
13-04-2010, 11:28 AM
David wishes he was the CEO of the company though. I don't know if I really liked the Palm, it looked like it could go somewhere. But nevermind. :(

How could you not of liked Palm :O It's the easiest way to get into development for any smartphone, and the OS was amazing :O

xxMATTGxx
13-04-2010, 11:32 AM
How could you not of liked Palm :O It's the easiest way to get into development for any smartphone, and the OS was amazing :O

Maybe I didn't like the look of the device? LOL

HotelUser
13-04-2010, 11:35 AM

bad marketing and a less known name meant they had no chance from the beginning.

marriott0.01
13-04-2010, 11:35 AM
Maybe I didn't like the look of the device? LOL

Palm Pre and Pixi were nice. The pre's keyboard was crap though lols

HotelUser
13-04-2010, 11:37 AM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/04/13apr10oub235palm.jpg

They don't look bad, but whenever I look at the pre, I honestly think of beetles (the bug, not the band). That Narnia-Witch looking lady from the ads didn't help.

xxMATTGxx
13-04-2010, 11:37 AM
Palm Pre and Pixi were nice. The pre's keyboard was crap though lols

I wasn't too keen on how they looked really. :(

marriott0.01
13-04-2010, 11:38 AM
I wasn't too keen on how they looked really. :(

You have no taste in gorgeous devices ;)

xxMATTGxx
13-04-2010, 11:40 AM
You have no taste in gorgeous devices ;)

I do. Have you not seen HTC phones? They look pretty hot compared to these. :P

HotelUser
13-04-2010, 11:47 AM
I do. Have you not seen HTC phones? They look pretty hot compared to these. :P

http://www.showbizgalore.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Google-Nexus-One1.jpg

My latest $750 investment :love7:

marriott0.01
13-04-2010, 11:52 AM
http://www.showbizgalore.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Google-Nexus-One1.jpg

My latest $750 investment :love7:

Good choice ;) <3

Markeh
13-04-2010, 06:46 PM
Good choice ;) <3

Seconded.

I do think HTC would be the most beneficial buyer, as they wouldn't scrap webOS. For me though, when I hear Palm, I think:

http://www.6millionsmiles.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/palm_z22.jpg
http://carkitstunter.nl/contents/media/palm%20tungsten%20w.jpg
http://r.phonedog.com/shared/images/items/1358-main-medium-palm-treo-650-gsm.jpg

And my old Z22 (which I broke the screen on by tapping it a bit hard).

I don't think of these new devices much, they're a complete departure from what Palm was about.

And the most likely buyer would be HTC.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!