PDA

View Full Version : Scratched/unreadable disc? Don't panic! Guide for Xbox

Black_Apalachi
13-04-2010, 02:16 AM
Almost every week there are threads created by people worrying about what to do because one of their game discs has been scratched and won't work. This thread is intended to provide some advice to hopefully avoid you having to go out and spend another load of cash on a new copy of the game.

Once you find out a disc isn't working, the very first thing you can do is try wiping it with a dry cloth. Note: Rather than wiping around the disc in a circular motion, you should wipe from the centre straight to the outer edge and repeat across the surface of the disc.

If simply wiping the disc of dust and smudges doesn't solve the problem, the next thing to do is borrow the same game from a friend and install it onto your console's hard drive. I'm unfamiliar with this process on the PS3 but I believe the option is offered the first time the disc is inserted depending on whether that particular game supports this feature. However Xbox360 users will need to follow the following simple steps:

Insert the disc.
Scroll down to My Xbox.
Go across to Game Library and press A.
The Recent Games window will appear, from where you should select the appropriate title.
Finally, select the option Install to Hard Drive. The process may take a few minutes.

Once the game is installed, remove your friend's copy and insert the faulty disc. From this point, it can become a bit of trial and error. The game may automatically load up, or you may be able to press Play at the main menu. However if neither of these methods are successful (on Xbox 360), scroll across to Game Library as before, and select Play from Hard Drive. Even if this doesn't appear to be working, try opening and closing the disc tray or turning the console off and back on and try again. It may take a few attempts before working.

If you either had no luck with the previous bullet point, or are not satisfied with all the extra hassle, there is still another possible solution. Video game shops such as GAME and GameStation as well as some music shops, offer a disc cleaning service. It usually costs just a couple of pounds and can provide fantastic results on discs with the worst of scratches. If this is successful, it can either allow you to play the game from the hard drive (if you have previously installed it) or even play normally from the disc. The reason this step has been left to a last resort is because it will cost some money and can occasionally have an adverse effect (I had a disc that loaded up then showed an unreadable message but after getting it cleaned, the console couldn't even recognise that there was a disc inserted).

Nevertheless, it more often than not works wonders. My personal experience of it includes a disc which was unplayable. After being cleaned it was almost as good as new other than part of the campaign and one online map were unplayable but this was still hugely more favourable than forking out the cash for a brand new copy of the game.

Of course there are steps you can take in order to prevent the situation arising in the first place. Where possible it is always recommended that you lie your console flat rather than standing it up. This is especially more important with the Xbox360 which has a disc tray as opposed to the PS3 which has a slot. The slightest of vibrations can shake the disc causing it to rub off the side of the tray. Therefore it should be stationed on a steady surface and should NEVER be moved while switched on with a disc inserted.

Hopefully there is adequate information here to help you be aware of the best action to take to avoid wasting money. I am by no means claiming to be some sort of gaming hardware expert, so of course if any of the information in this thread happens to be inaccurate, I apologise in advance. However I obviously believe it is sound advice and there is nothing here that could be potentially harmful to your games or consoles.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Catzsy (Forum Moderator): Moved to this forum from ' Console and Computer Gaming ' Thread stuck on permission from AFM .

samsaBEAR
13-04-2010, 05:35 PM
Nice thread, someone needs to stick this.

Ardemax
13-04-2010, 08:41 PM
Amazing tips there, should deffo be stuck.

rEpZ+

samsaBEAR
14-04-2010, 12:45 AM
Just noticed that if this is stuck, the thread should be edited to say that it's for the 360

Jahova
14-04-2010, 05:57 AM
Nice guide.

Blinger1
14-04-2010, 06:08 AM
i think most of this i commonsense though tbh. Like cleaning the disc. And if it is stuck, move it to the microsoft section :S?

Black_Apalachi
15-04-2010, 07:53 AM
Thanks guys :)

Just noticed that if this is stuck, the thread should be edited to say that it's for the 360

I know, I tried to make it more general but I realised it was more weighted towards the 360 side. That's just because I've had no experience of these problems with a PS3 yet. I'm sure most of it applies to the PS3 as well though, I've pointed out the parts which are specific to the 360.

samsaBEAR
15-04-2010, 02:24 PM
Doesn't the PS3 require you to install games onto the hard drive anyway? I don't know if it's every game though

Black_Apalachi
15-04-2010, 05:28 PM
I thought that but I tried to research it and found that some do and some don't. If the majority of games do then I guess the guide could be edited to suit it more.

Mattch
16-04-2010, 04:03 PM
However Xbox360 users will need to follow the following simple steps:

Insert the disc.
Scroll down to My Xbox.
Go across to Game Library and press A.
The Recent Games window will appear, from where you should select the appropriate title.
Finally, select the option Install to Hard Drive. The process may take a few minutes.

Or on the My Xbox tab where it says "Play %gamename% (Play Modern Warfare 2) etc hit the Y button to bring up the game info and then select install

Catzsy
17-04-2010, 09:31 AM
I have moved the thread, edited title and will request permission to stick. Thanks.:)

Special
17-04-2010, 09:35 AM
i think most of this i commonsense though tbh. Like cleaning the disc. And if it is stuck, move it to the microsoft section :S?

Thats what I thought

But nevertheless you went out of your way to write it in the first place :)

samsaBEAR
17-04-2010, 09:56 AM
I have moved the thread, edited title and will request permission to stick. Thanks.:)
No, thank you ;D

Thats what I thought

But nevertheless you went out of your way to write it in the first place :)
You'd think it's common sense, but the amount of threads about it, it makes sense just to make one 'guide' thread

Catzsy
17-04-2010, 10:08 AM
No, thank you ;D

You'd think it's common sense, but the amount of threads about it, it makes sense just to make one 'guide' thread

Well I do have permission to stick. Not sure what you mean about a guide thread as there is only one more tutorial sticky here.

Black_Apalachi
18-04-2010, 12:12 PM
Or on the My Xbox tab where it says "Play %gamename% (Play Modern Warfare 2) etc hit the Y button to bring up the game info and then select install

Oh right, cheers for the tip :)

No, thank you ;D

Exactly. I understand how commonsensical cleaning a disc may be, but it would hardly be a decent guide if I ignored such basic methods and immediately implied that the only thing that can possibly be done is taking the game to a shop and spending money getting it cleaned. Some people ought to think before they dive in with their pessimism.

Thanks Rosie x

Twis7ed
05-06-2010, 05:49 PM
Nice guide!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!