PDA

View Full Version : New Fansite.

ChampJames.
13-04-2010, 02:22 PM
I am looking into making a new Habbo Hotel Fansite, but as there are loads out there already I want ideas of what would make people visit my site. What could be its Unique Selling Point and how could I make it compete with other existing fansites?

I would also like anybodys ideas on how I can keep track of the popularity of my site without the use of a forum initially, as I do not want to spend too much money on something that could fail.

All ideas and opinions will be gratefully received, thanks in advance :)

MattFr
13-04-2010, 02:28 PM
You've just hit the hurdle where most people fail. Generally, if you can't come up with your own unique idea to differentiate your product, don't bother; if someone else has an amazing idea, they won't tell it to you, will they? Harsh but true, sorry!

ChampJames.
13-04-2010, 02:45 PM
I know where you are coming form but somebody who may not work on a fansite may have ideas what they and others may want to see and which no other fansite has. But thanks for your advice.

today
13-04-2010, 03:16 PM
Pay for vb and i'll suggest ideas then

ChampJames.
13-04-2010, 03:27 PM
if you read it then i might not be doing a forum incase of failure.

MattFr
13-04-2010, 03:28 PM
Pay for vb and i'll suggest ideas then

Why vB? VBulletin is an awful piece of software.

redtom
13-04-2010, 03:42 PM
The only thing that seems to get new habbo fansites noticed is competitions and giverways, when i've DJ'ed on sites in the past its been clear that if your not giving something away people arnt intrested, when I talked about competitions on air the listeners went up drasticly and when the competition ended or I wasnt doing one the listeners fell down quite some. You could have the best content ever but 12 year old kids dont care about content.

Nixt
13-04-2010, 03:53 PM
Why vB? VBulletin is an awful piece of software.

A lot of people prefer other types of forum software but in terms of Habbo people tend to shun forums that are vB. It's just the way it works.

MattFr
13-04-2010, 04:01 PM
A lot of people prefer other types of forum software but in terms of Habbo people tend to shun forums that are vB. It's just the way it works.

That's a tad, sorry, very, pathetic.

ChampJames.
13-04-2010, 04:20 PM
thanks redtom and garion ill take them on board and mattfr your saying everything is pathetic well why dont you go and make your own fansite and get it as good as these ones?.

Apolva
13-04-2010, 04:23 PM

SMF myself :)

Anyway - Giveaways and plenty of site content.

MattFr
13-04-2010, 04:24 PM
thanks redtom and garion ill take them on board and mattfr your saying everything is pathetic well why dont you go and make your own fansite and get it as good as these ones?.
Why would I waste my time making a fansite when I could be freelancing for clients?

Swastika
13-04-2010, 04:31 PM
I pesonally wouldnt bother even attempting to make a fansite, its too hard of a competition.
Theyre are already too many fansites out there that have established themselves as the best, it would be very hard for people to switch from site to another just like that.
Re-think your ideas.

today
13-04-2010, 10:29 PM
omg my post was a joke lmao.

ChampJames.
14-04-2010, 05:58 PM
i do have so ideas of what to include, but i just want your oponions.

what features make you visit a habbo fansite and keep coming back, instead of just a one-off visit.

also, i don't want a forum straight away, so i was wondering is anybody knows how i can keep track of activity and popularity in another way?

ChampJames.
02-06-2010, 05:13 PM
i do have some ideas of what to include, but i just want your oponions.

what features make you visit a habbo fansite and keep coming back, instead of just a one-off visit.

also, i don't want a forum straight away, so i was wondering is anybody knows how i can keep track of activity and popularity in another way?

MattFr
02-06-2010, 06:23 PM
Google Analytics.

.Zi
05-06-2010, 07:19 PM
I pesonally wouldnt bother even attempting to make a fansite, its too hard of a competition.
Theyre are already too many fansites out there that have established themselves as the best, it would be very hard for people to switch from site to another just like that.
Re-think your ideas.

^^ But theres still a chance, GCSEs are hard, that doesnt mean you shouldnt try it.

But seriously, why would we tell you our unique idea when we could do it ourselves and get the respects of users and get ViP cash rolling in for us. I mean, how do I benefit from giving you my unique idea?

MattFr
05-06-2010, 07:37 PM
^^ But theres still a chance, GCSEs are hard, that doesnt mean you shouldnt try it.

Possibly the crappest analogy I have ever heard.

Trinity
05-06-2010, 07:46 PM

But seriously, why would we tell you our unique idea when we could do it ourselves and get the respects of users and get ViP cash rolling in for us. I mean, how do I benefit from giving you my unique idea?

Terrible analogy, GCSEs are ridiculously easy (seriously, I didn't do any of my exams and still passed everything).

Example time. Petey McPeteypops uses fansites occasionally, but finds them awkward and not very entertaining. He has a great idea that would improve them but lacks the technical knowledge to build it himself. He tells his idea to someone like ChampJames. who creates it, thus providing Petey with entertainment and a more enjoyable fansite to visit.
Admittedly not an awesome example, and there are a few other possible reasons to tell ChampJames. some ideas (perhaps someone just wants to be helpful?), but erm... I forgot how I was planning on ending this sentence.

ChampJames.
08-06-2010, 12:02 AM
GCSE's hard?! What planet are you on! lol

But thanks Trinity, thats how I would've put it, and I didn't really ask for someboys unique idea that could change the habbo fansites for the future, but what people want from their fansites. What would make us stand out rather than be like, 'oh that looks like habbox'

today
13-06-2010, 01:34 AM
this will failllllllllllllllllllllll

Richie
13-06-2010, 04:34 AM
I don't have any ideas, but best of luck with it.

eddiekins
15-06-2010, 10:48 AM
You've just hit the hurdle where most people fail. Generally, if you can't come up with your own unique idea to differentiate your product, don't bother; if someone else has an amazing idea, they won't tell it to you, will they? Harsh but true, sorry!

I agree with this. I know he says it in a mean way, but allow me to paraphrase it a little...

Entrepreneurs succeed in the world of business because they're theoretical geniuses, capable of creating brilliant strategies & ideas out of nowhere and putting them into production with the help of others...

Engineers/developers succeed in the world of business because they're creative people capable of taking the ideas constructed by the former class and implementing them into a reasonable, feasible business concept.

Contrariwise, you have neither ideas nor skills to implement them. Develop some of one or the other, then you may be able to have a strong foundation for a successful website. Or better yet, develop both - then you don't need to include us at all.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!