PDA

View Full Version : CNAME/DNS Stuff etc +5rep

Firehorse
14-04-2010, 02:13 PM
Ok, so i've setup MX records to use google to host my site's email but I'm having trouble with what to do to put into namecheap to get it back to my site. Recursion says I should put in the server's IP address, but that brings up the server's landing page and not my site. I thought i'd need to put in the ip of the DNS records but that doesn't seem to work either.

Here's what the box looks like and what options I have:
http://i43.tinypic.com/j7qji1.jpg

If it makes any difference i'm using 000webhost.

Recursion
14-04-2010, 02:15 PM
I don't know wether Namecheap will actually let you do it, thats the thing, I think you may have to use your host to setup the CNAMEs.

Firehorse
14-04-2010, 02:17 PM
I don't know wether Namecheap will actually let you do it, thats the thing, I think you may have to use your host to setup the CNAMEs.

On other forums people have managed it, just I can't find this part to redirect back to the host.

MattFr
14-04-2010, 02:47 PM
ns record for the dns servers of your host?

Firehorse
14-04-2010, 02:50 PM
ns record for the dns servers of your host?

tried it, says its false info and doesn't save it.

MattFr
14-04-2010, 03:22 PM
tried it, says its false info and doesn't save it.

try using the actual IP address of the NS.

Firehorse
14-04-2010, 03:41 PM
try using the actual IP address of the NS.

tried.

MattFr
14-04-2010, 03:52 PM
Lol, what are you trying to do? Normally when I setup an MX record I do it through my host. Same with CNAME records.

Firehorse
14-04-2010, 04:04 PM
Lol, what are you trying to do? Normally when I setup an MX record I do it through my host. Same with CNAME records.

I'm using 000webhost which is limited. That means I need to setup all the MX records for google apps through namecheap. That part is all working fine, I just need to get it to direct back to my account at 000webhost. The forums on 000webhost say add another CNAME but namecheap say use A address because CNAME interferes with the other CNAMEs but my webhost doesn't support A address.

MattFr
14-04-2010, 04:06 PM
I'm using 000webhost which is limited. That means I need to setup all the MX records for google apps through namecheap. That part is all working fine, I just need to get it to direct back to my account at 000webhost. The forums on 000webhost say add another CNAME but namecheap say use A address because CNAME interferes with the other CNAMEs but my webhost doesn't support A address.

Use a CNAME then.

Johno
14-04-2010, 04:12 PM
Leave those two settings as they are, with the IP to your host. I remember trying to setup Google Apps on my account - Im pretty certain I done it in the "Sub-Domain Settings" :)

Agnostic Bear
14-04-2010, 04:13 PM
Scroll down and under "Mail Records" change to "User Simplified" then put your main IP in there.

Firehorse
14-04-2010, 04:25 PM
Scroll down and under "Mail Records" change to "User Simplified" then put your main IP in there.

you sure? that would get rid of all the MX records for google. I'm not talking about how to host the email because thats working, I just need to get the domain successfully pointing back to my account on 000webhost.

Firehorse
14-04-2010, 04:57 PM
Problem is solved! After contacting the webhost support they supplied me with another ip address I didn't have and it works! Thanks guys for all the effort and i'll +rep all that I can.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!