PDA

View Full Version : Trampoline safety advice issued

sally37
02-08-2005, 06:22 PM
Jumping on a trampoline may be a bit safer in future after health experts came up with some hints and tips.
They offered the guidance after a big rise in the number of injuries suffered by people playing on trampolines.

Some of their tips include not placing the trampoline near trees or fences, and not letting children younger than six bounce on them at all.

The most recent figures - from 2002 - show a 50% rise in trampoline accidents compared to five years' before in 1997. And this year a 12-year-old boy was killed after using a trampoline, while a 14-year-old seriously injured his back just a week ago.
But it's not just from falling off trampolines that people can get injured.

Physiotherapists say people often don't realise using a trampoline is like doing serious exercise, so bouncing can cause aches and strains similar to over-exercise.

David Walker, an officer at the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents said he didn't think trampolines were dangerous toys.

But he added that people need to be aware that they can suffer serious injuries if they are not careful.

Trampoline safety tips
Set the trampoline up in hole, so falling distance is not as great
Keep it free of fences and trees
Ensure springs, hooks and frame all covered by padding
Place cushioning, such as wood chips or padding around trampoline
Children should always be supervised
Only one person should use it at a time
Children under six should not use them
Do not exit trampoline by bouncing
Remove all jewellery

Now thats getting a bit out of hand what do you guys think about it?

Clo
02-08-2005, 06:24 PM
I went on my friend's trampoline the other day!:o We got told off by his mum because there was like 3 of us on one small trampoline, lmao. xD

Georgia
02-08-2005, 06:26 PM
I have a 13 ft or 14ft trampoline and I can do tricks but my parents dont like me doing them anymore after all of the accidents that have being happening.
Thanks for the advice too! You could try and move it into the health and advice forum

sally37
02-08-2005, 06:27 PM
i didn't know where to put this but i want to put in health and advice thing but never mind

Mentor
02-08-2005, 06:29 PM
the accidents amounst have only gone up becuse far more people now own trampolines, weve had one for ages, and had nothing bad come of it, and we break nearly everyone of the safty tips, aka there padding around the frame, every other tops broken :D

Georgia
02-08-2005, 06:35 PM
i didn't know where to put this but i want to put in health and advice thing but never mind

You could try and ask a mod ;P

nvrspk4
02-08-2005, 07:07 PM
For all those who are commenting, this doesn't belong in Health Tips And Advice Forum. That's more for health things such as excersize and diets ;)

sally37
02-08-2005, 07:24 PM
i didn;t think it should go in the health and advice but i just put it here :D

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!