PDA

View Full Version : I now have Windows 7

iDenning
16-04-2010, 09:01 PM
I now have windows 7, anyone else have it?

Any cool features I should know about?

Thread moved by Nicola (Forum Super Moderator): from "Discuss Anything"

lTraditional
16-04-2010, 09:16 PM
I have Windows 7 although theirs not much difference to Windows XP i think.

MattFr
16-04-2010, 09:27 PM
The snap feature is very useful for noobs without multimonitors. You can drag windows to the edge of the screen to snap them to half the screen, or use Windows + arrow keys to move the window in focus around.

N!ck
16-04-2010, 09:45 PM
Cool story, bro.

MattFr
16-04-2010, 09:47 PM
Cool story, bro.

Nah, just nah.

iDenning
16-04-2010, 10:02 PM
aha, Thanks :)

Stephen!
16-04-2010, 10:29 PM
noobs without multimonitors.

Wut????

MattFr
16-04-2010, 10:33 PM
Wut????

How else do you want me to phrase it? "Those unfortunate enough not to posses multiple screens to extend the desktop of their personal computer". That any better?

Swastika
16-04-2010, 10:37 PM
Well i wouldnt exactly call somebody a noob because they dont have multi-monitors?

Windows 7 isn't anything special, i re-installed windows vista on my desktop actually, hate windows 7.

MattFr
16-04-2010, 10:38 PM
Well i wouldnt exactly call somebody a noob because they dont have multi-monitors?

Windows 7 isn't anything special, i re-installed windows vista on my desktop actually, hate windows 7.

Thanks for letting me know your stance on this oh-so-sensitive subject.

iDenning
16-04-2010, 10:49 PM
Can someone get me a link from adobe website for photoshop cs4, cant find it. Cant download anything from there, keeps asking me to subscribe when I already have...

MattFr
16-04-2010, 10:51 PM
You need to sign up.

Jam
16-04-2010, 11:19 PM
Hope they make Libraries a function that you can turn off in SP1.

Swastika
16-04-2010, 11:21 PM
Thanks for letting me know your stance on this oh-so-sensitive subject.

Oh be quiet with your stupid comments.

Recursion
17-04-2010, 12:11 AM
How else do you want me to phrase it? "Those unfortunate enough not to posses multiple screens to extend the desktop of their personal computer". That any better?

I did have multimonitors, I got rid of multimoniters, I was nice enough to give my dad my second monitor because he had more of a use for dual screens, how am I thus a n00b?

Jordy
17-04-2010, 12:22 AM
Hope they make Libraries a function that you can turn off in SP1.Have to agree with that, I probably should use it but it seems like it might get confusing.

Windows 7 isn't anything special, i re-installed windows vista on my desktop actually, hate windows 7.That's what I don't understand? Vista & Windows 7 are so similar. It is not possible to hate one but not the other. You either hate both, love both or don't care about both. Windows 7 is just a few small but noticeable features added to Vista.

iDenning
17-04-2010, 12:36 AM
Peed off, took hour and half to DL photoshop cs3 and its not compatible...

Agnostic Bear
17-04-2010, 06:08 AM

You know you don't have to use them... right?

Blinger1
17-04-2010, 06:10 AM
or use Windows + arrow keys to move the window in focus around.
Never knew about that one..

Recursion
17-04-2010, 09:07 AM

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-disable-libraries-feature-in-windows-7/

MattFr
17-04-2010, 09:46 AM
I did have multimonitors, I got rid of multimoniters, I was nice enough to give my dad my second monitor because he had more of a use for dual screens, how am I thus a n00b?

I'm not sure if you know what a joke is, but I'm sure the dictionary can help you with that.

triston220
17-04-2010, 09:51 AM
The snap feature is very useful for noobs without multimonitors. You can drag windows to the edge of the screen to snap them to half the screen, or use Windows + arrow keys to move the window in focus around.

Face it. Just because someone doesn't have multi-monitors doesn't make them a noob. Also, try finding noob in a dictionary, you won't.

MattFr
17-04-2010, 09:52 AM
Face it. Just because someone doesn't have multi-monitors doesn't make them a noob. Also, try finding noob in a dictionary, you won't.

Please read my last post.

Special
17-04-2010, 10:16 AM
I'm not sure if you know what a joke is, but I'm sure the dictionary can help you with that.

Love how you're passing it off as a joke because you got attacked for saying it

MattFr
17-04-2010, 10:21 AM
Love how you're passing it off as a joke because you got attacked for saying it

Well it was a joke. Who are you to tell me it wasn't a joke? I really couldn't care less if I got attacked on this forum, so why would I make it up to be a joke if that's what I didn't intend in the first place?

Recursion
17-04-2010, 10:46 AM

Unfortunatly sarcasm and the like are very hard to detect over the internet, so go shove it ;)

MattFr
17-04-2010, 10:50 AM
Unfortunatly sarcasm and the like are very hard to detect over the internet, so go shove it ;)

Why so serious?

Markeh
17-04-2010, 10:57 AM

Agreed.

I've got 1 monitor. And yes, I find Aero Snap useful. And no, I'm not a noob, Matt. Just because I've hardly got any desk space for another monitor (proof of which is in the Post Your Setup thread), and because I don't actually NEED multimonitors, doesn't mean I'm a noob.

Your comment does disgust me, Matt. And a joke is supposed to be funny. Your comment wasn't.

Triston: I suppose you'd find Noob in the Urban Dictionary, if you class it as a proper dictionary.

Volumise
17-04-2010, 11:04 AM
everytime i type, my screen just changes and shows me the desktop because of that button in the corner.. annoying :P

tm
17-04-2010, 11:05 AM
I've got it too (have since it was launched).

It should be noted that most of the fancy effects/tasbar window previews etc that I personally find annoying can be turned off!

Volumise
17-04-2010, 11:12 AM
I've got it too (have since it was launched).

It should be noted that most of the fancy effects/tasbar window previews etc that I personally find annoying can be turned off!

For some reason, only my laptop has those effects (e.g when you hover over the tabs at the bottom, you see the image of the site pops up).

But when im on my computer theres no effects at all. And just seems like windows xp :S

Apolva
17-04-2010, 11:13 AM
For some reason, only my laptop has those effects (e.g when you hover over the tabs at the bottom, you see the image of the site pops up).

But when im on my computer theres no effects at all. And just seems like windows xp :S

Installed graphics drivers? Is Aero turned on?

GommeInc
17-04-2010, 11:24 AM
Well it was a joke. Who are you to tell me it wasn't a joke? I really couldn't care less if I got attacked on this forum, so why would I make it up to be a joke if that's what I didn't intend in the first place?
It wasn't a joke because you tried to explain your actions. If it was a joke, you'd of mentioned that when someone questioned it, or made it blatantly obvious that it was a joke :P

The only problem I can think of with Windows 7, is that for some reason it likes to have the media sharing capabilities turned on from the start when it's not a globally useful feature. Off by default would be a better idea. It's also very confusing to turn off - some say advanced sharing options, some say homegroup and one option took you deep into the computer to turn of Windows Media Player Streaming :P

Volumise
17-04-2010, 11:25 AM
Installed graphics drivers? Is Aero turned on?

No, i haven't installed graphic drivers.. I actually read that only the newsest graphic drivers can support windows 7. So i might give that a try..

GommeInc
17-04-2010, 11:27 AM

By looking like XP, do you mean it shows you the name of of the program open, rather than the huge icon? Try this (or the opposite of this, whatever :P):

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/make-the-windows-7-taskbar-work-more-like-windows-xp-or-vista/

MattFr
17-04-2010, 11:36 AM
It wasn't a joke because you tried to explain your actions. If it was a joke, you'd of mentioned that when someone questioned it, or made it blatantly obvious that it was a joke :P

The only problem I can think of with Windows 7, is that for some reason it likes to have the media sharing capabilities turned on from the start when it's not a globally useful feature. Off by default would be a better idea. It's also very confusing to turn off - some say advanced sharing options, some say homegroup and one option took you deep into the computer to turn of Windows Media Player Streaming :P

It's not my fault people are too dumb to detect blatant sarcasm.

Volumise
17-04-2010, 11:45 AM
By looking like XP, do you mean it shows you the name of of the program open, rather than the huge icon? Try this (or the opposite of this, whatever :P):

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/make-the-windows-7-taskbar-work-more-like-windows-xp-or-vista/

Well, there are still the big icons.

What I meant was when I hover over the icons, this happens:

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/223/bhhr.png (http://img694.imageshack.us/i/bhhr.png/)

instead of the image popping up, if you get what I mean x]

Apolva
17-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Well, there are still the big icons.

What I meant was when I hover over the icons, this happens...

Install your graphics drivers and set to Aero.

Sunny.
17-04-2010, 11:50 AM
You need to change the theme for the big preview image pop up.
That happens to me when my charger is not plugged in because my Windows theme changes to Windows 7 Basic.

The Professor
17-04-2010, 02:10 PM
MattFr did you have a previous account? Because if you didn't you're not doing yourself any favours as a new member by coming on here being nasty to everyone. If you did then you still aren't making any friends so shush.

@Jordy I hate windows vista and love 7. My laptop had vista on and ran slower than a dead dog in quicksand, I put 7 on it and it ran fast as you like (and this was consistently over around 6 months not just immediately after install). There isn't much changed on the surface but they've done some good work underneath.

MattFr
17-04-2010, 02:15 PM
MattFr did you have a previous account? Because if you didn't you're not doing yourself any favours as a new member by coming on here being nasty to everyone. If you did then you still aren't making any friends so shush.

Not here to make friends, but thanks for the advice.

triston220
17-04-2010, 03:13 PM
Agreed.

I've got 1 monitor. And yes, I find Aero Snap useful. And no, I'm not a noob, Matt. Just because I've hardly got any desk space for another monitor (proof of which is in the Post Your Setup thread), and because I don't actually NEED multimonitors, doesn't mean I'm a noob.

Your comment does disgust me, Matt. And a joke is supposed to be funny. Your comment wasn't.

Triston: I suppose you'd find Noob in the Urban Dictionary, if you class it as a proper dictionary.

Ssh, I'm trying to make him out to be wrong.

I mean the Collins dictionary.

MattFr
17-04-2010, 03:17 PM
Agreed.

Haha I missed this. Please take my post a little more seriously, thanks.

Recursion
17-04-2010, 03:28 PM

@Jordy I hate windows vista and love 7. My laptop had vista on and ran slower than a dead dog in quicksand, I put 7 on it and it ran fast as you like (and this was consistently over around 6 months not just immediately after install). There isn't much changed on the surface but they've done some good work underneath.

A dead dog in quicksand would move quite quickly (downwards) I would have thought! :P

iLogan
17-04-2010, 03:48 PM
@MattFr: Please *REMOVED*, its annoying and there is no need, TBH this thread is helpful for people who just install 7 and we don't need people trolling it, resulting in it being closed.

I know this has been in Vista and XP but I find it useful:

You can partition your drives and use them for categorising, so say for all your work you could partition a drive the map a, resulting in for example the W drive for your work ect.

I find that useful.

Edited by iAdam (Forum Super Moderator); Please do not be rude to other forum members. k sorry

Swastika
17-04-2010, 04:00 PM
That's what I don't understand? Vista & Windows 7 are so similar. It is not possible to hate one but not the other. You either hate both, love both or don't care about both. Windows 7 is just a few small but noticeable features added to Vista.

I prefer the vista layout, i just havn't taken a real fancy to windows 7, too much hype for nothing much.

MattFr
17-04-2010, 04:01 PM
@MattFr: *REMOVED*, TBH this thread is helpful for people who just install 7 and we don't need people trolling it, resulting in it being closed.

I know this has been in Vista and XP but I find it useful:

You can partition your drives and use them for categorising, so say for all your work you could partition a drive the map a, resulting in for example the W drive for your work ect.

I find that useful.

Edited by iAdam (Forum Super Moderator); Please do not be rude to other forum members.
Not sure how it's my fault, I posted a tip then other people found the need to have a go at me. Please look for others to blame, thanks.

Swastika
17-04-2010, 04:04 PM
Not sure how it's my fault, I posted a tip then other people found the need to have a go at me. Please look for others to blame, thanks.
LOL, how was it a tip?

MattFr
17-04-2010, 04:06 PM
LOL, how was it a tip?

Read my post. Snap.

Swastika
17-04-2010, 04:10 PM
*REMOVED*

Edited by Bolt660 (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not avoid the filter using images.

iLogan
17-04-2010, 04:12 PM
Saying that people who don't have multi-monitors are noobs is hardly a tip. Infact it isn't. There are WAY more smarter people out there who don't use multi-monitors. You've failed.

http://www.icanhasmotivation.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/doublefacepalm21-550x439.jpg

MattFr
17-04-2010, 04:17 PM
*REMOVED*

Sorry but you're just being down right rude now. I didn't ask anyone to respond to my original post. I haven't being rude throughout this thread, that's all down to you lot.

Swastika
17-04-2010, 04:20 PM
Your damn right im being rude, dont label people without multi-monitors as noobs and don't have an attitude and maybe people would take a liking to you.

MattFr
17-04-2010, 04:24 PM
Your damn right im being rude, dont label people without multi-monitors as noobs and don't have an attitude and maybe people would take a liking to you.

It's not my fault people have a difference sense of humour to me. It wasn't supposed to be funny, but it was a joke none-the-less. I'm not labelling anyone, it was a mere generalization. I'm not sure where you've picked up on my bad attitude, I have replied calmly, maybe with a hint of sarcasm, to the majority of the posts in this thread. Please, if you would like to continue this erroneous and frankly pathetic dig at me, feel free to PM me and we stop this thread becoming more polluted with crap.

Cohen
17-04-2010, 04:28 PM

*** you chose Windows Vista over Windows 7 Vista is bugged as...

MattFr
17-04-2010, 04:30 PM
Saying that people who don't have multi-monitors are noobs is hardly a tip. Infact it isn't. There are WAY more smarter people out there who don't use multi-monitors. You've failed.

My tip was in the post. Try reading the post again, and it may come to you :)

At no point have I linked how many monitors you have to intellectual capacity, but thanks for the information all the same.

iDenning
17-04-2010, 04:32 PM
Are we allowed to swear in these forums? (if so im using them 24/7 x])

Swastika
17-04-2010, 04:33 PM
It's not my fault people have a difference sense of humour to me. It wasn't supposed to be funny, but it was a joke none-the-less. I'm not labelling anyone, it was a mere generalization. I'm not sure where you've picked up on my bad attitude, I have replied calmly, maybe with a hint of sarcasm, to the majority of the posts in this thread. Please, if you would like to continue this erroneous and frankly pathetic dig at me, feel free to PM me and we stop this thread becoming more polluted with crap.

No thank you, i wouldn't waste my time.

MattFr
17-04-2010, 04:33 PM
No thank you, i wouldn't waste my time.

That's fine.

iDenning
17-04-2010, 04:35 PM
Guys all I wanted was a few tips for windows 7, not entertainment ;)

MattFr
17-04-2010, 04:37 PM
Guys all I wanted was a few tips for windows 7, not entertainment ;)
I apologize on behalf of all of those that felt the need to take a dig at me.

Not sure if you would have already seen it, but if you press the arrow next to the system tray (bottom right) and click customize, you can select which applications' icon's are in the tray.

Swastika
17-04-2010, 04:41 PM
LOL ^^

anyway, enjoy your windows 7 buddy.

AgnesIO
17-04-2010, 04:42 PM
Sorry but you're just being down right rude now. I didn't ask anyone to respond to my original post. I haven't being rude throughout this thread, that's all down to you lot.
You are on a forum, you don't ask for people to reply lol

----

Tbh jack the only feature I always use is the snap thing. Great when doing work abd u have a website open too. Btw this argument is fantastic.

MattFr
17-04-2010, 04:44 PM
You are on a forum, you don't ask for people to reply lol

----

Tbh jack the only feature I always use is the snap thing. Great when doing work abd u have a website open too. Btw this argument is fantastic.
This is an argument?

Swastika
17-04-2010, 04:50 PM
This is an argument?
No, its you being silly.

MattFr
17-04-2010, 04:51 PM
No, its you being silly.

Is it? Is that why all the hate and spam is from other people targeted to me and I'm simply ignoring it? Stop spamming now.

Swastika
17-04-2010, 04:53 PM
Its not spam, its a reply - ill post when i feel like it, not when you want me to.

MattFr
17-04-2010, 05:04 PM
Its not spam, its a reply - ill post when i feel like it, not when you want me to.

I'm only thinking of the greater good of the forum and reducing the work load for the moderators. Fair enough though, it's not my job.

iDenning
17-04-2010, 05:06 PM
Here we go again :D

Jordy
17-04-2010, 06:19 PM
Wow what an over-reaction to such a small remark. The noob comment was unnecessary but seriously Jayme, I think you need to get over it, gone way over the top and have spammed this thread full of crap.

Hmm I always use the "Take Ownership" mod on Windows 7, works on Vista too. Very handy when it comes to Windows' very confusing permissions system;
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/

danzooo
17-04-2010, 09:10 PM
I'm only thinking of the greater good of the forum and reducing the work load for the moderators. Fair enough though, it's not my job.

...and appreciated your work most certainly is :)

Thread closed to prevent further arguments.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!