PDA

View Full Version : Air Raid Siren

Swastika
19-04-2010, 09:57 PM
Does anybody else think the British air raid sirens are very eiry to listen to?
They still go off around here every wednesday, over at the works and what not i think, to test them - but very quietly, but loud enough to still hear it.
It used to be every wednesday anyway, havn't heard them for a while now, im always in bed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erMO3m0oLvs

dbgtz
19-04-2010, 10:00 PM
it was a good idea they used it, wouldn't make sense to use a jolly beat :L

Jamesy
19-04-2010, 10:01 PM
They do sound strange. But I think it's simply because even today their sound symbolises danger which means you are compelled to be uneasy.

xxMATTGxx
19-04-2010, 10:07 PM
They do sound strange. But I think it's simply because even today their sound symbolises danger which means you are compelled to be uneasy.

Yeah I have to agree with you there. I was going to set an air raid siren as my alarm once so it would wake me up, good old sound to hear now and again! :D

Swastika
19-04-2010, 10:10 PM
Yeah I have to agree with you there. I was going to set an air raid siren as my alarm once so it would wake me up, good old sound to hear now and again! :D

I'd forget it was my tone and absolutely die when it went off in the morning.

Angel-Light
19-04-2010, 10:20 PM
The start of the siren sounds very much like the start of the fire alarm at my work (which scares the living daylights out of me every time it goes off).

They are quite eerie and I can't imagine being in the position of hearing one back in the war days. Always praying to hear the all-clear again and not being sure to what you are going to witness when you leave :(

Swastika
19-04-2010, 10:41 PM
Yeah, if this ever went off for real i'd burst into tears lol - its so uneasing, that sound, its unreal.

wixard
19-04-2010, 11:01 PM
this siren scares the **** out of me, i really hate hearing it

it's like a dementor no wat im sayin

Metric1
22-04-2010, 11:40 AM
They use the same sirens here when there's a tornado. It scares the living daylights out of me.

BeanEgg
22-04-2010, 01:10 PM
The sound is quite eery, I agree. It just doesn't sound right and sort of triggers some sort of fear that I don't understand. LOL

Swastika
22-04-2010, 05:00 PM
When they test ours round here, some old people look terrorfied lmao, then they must realise its a test not real. :P

Jordy
22-04-2010, 05:39 PM
So are they still all readily available in the UK to use if need be?

Just reminds me of War films etc rather than scares me. Hearing the all clear sound was a new experience for me though, very impressive :)

Describe
22-04-2010, 07:34 PM
this siren scares the **** out of me, i really hate hearing it

it's like a dementor no wat im sayin
I don't like the sound neither and I'm not usually creeped out by anything, never mind sounds!

:(

Swastika
22-04-2010, 07:54 PM
So are they still all readily available in the UK to use if need be?

Just reminds me of War films etc rather than scares me. Hearing the all clear sound was a new experience for me though, very impressive :)

I'm not sure weather every single air raid siren in the UK is ready to use incase of a state of war but ours in teesside gets tested quite regularly - at least it did quite recently.

Rapidshare
22-04-2010, 08:11 PM
All air raid sirens work in london, episcally by the themes as it used as a flood warning...

Dunno about the UK tho lol

myke
22-04-2010, 08:12 PM
The noise makes my skin crawl, I've seen so many movies during school about WW2 and I've spoken to people who have been in it and the experience must've been terrifying. know In some places they still use the sirens for flood warnings, I am listening to it as I type this and it's already got pictures running through my head. When I was younger I went on a school trip and we had a 'WW2 experience day' and we had to dress like in WW2 and they pretended that where I live was being bombed, I was only young, and this noise still reminds me of it. I was scared so much, even though it was fake, it scared the living day lights out of me... I always remember the yukky cheese and pickle sarni the woman gave me and she told me if i dont eat it she will give it to the pigs!! LOL :|

Swastika
22-04-2010, 08:27 PM
The noise makes my skin crawl, I've seen so many movies during school about WW2 and I've spoken to people who have been in it and the experience must've been terrifying. know In some places they still use the sirens for flood warnings, I am listening to it as I type this and it's already got pictures running through my head. When I was younger I went on a school trip and we had a 'WW2 experience day' and we had to dress like in WW2 and they pretended that where I live was being bombed, I was only young, and this noise still reminds me of it. I was scared so much, even though it was fake, it scared the living day lights out of me... I always remember the yukky cheese and pickle sarni the woman gave me and she told me if i dont eat it she will give it to the pigs!! LOL :|

yo, sounds like a terrible experience.

syko2006
22-04-2010, 10:55 PM
I'd say the noise they produce is quite eery to say the least. You know that when you hear that siren, you gotta' run and save your balls. Still, it worked. :P

Edit: Corr blimey, just watched this and I won't lie to you, the build up scared **** out of me! :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGUrM19BnJ8

Pixet
24-04-2010, 09:56 PM
They make me want to cry. I'm such a baby...
Whenever I hear them in videos/films even games, I get this feeling that suddenly I'm the only one left in the world and there's something coming to get me. It's SO SCARY :'(
D:

AlexOC
24-04-2010, 11:02 PM
I remember when i went to this farm on a trip with school, and they did that siren and we had to hide in a shelter.

It was a trip about ww2 or something.

http://alexoc.com/lols/good-times.png
http://alexoc.com/lols/good-times.ong

Starburst..x
25-04-2010, 04:48 PM
Like most of you, the noise creeps me out, it's too eerie.
But then I guess if it's given everyone the feeling of unease and wanting to hide from it then i guess it's done it's job!!

Recursion
25-04-2010, 06:34 PM
So, so creepy.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!