PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Internet Help PLEASE +14 rep.

Mexel
20-04-2010, 04:36 PM
Right... when im plugged into the moden i get speeds of 20mb, as soon as i plug into wireless i WAS getting speeds of 0.60mbs. I knew it was not right its being happeneing for ages but i have had the wireless box for over 3 years now but i have tried everything with it rung up and everything and nothing would get any faster. So today i brought anbother one for 70 pound, but the highest speed i get now is..

http://www.speedtest.net/result/788579361.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

So 70 pound has lost me 0.3mb.

Someone please help me lol.

xzl.
20-04-2010, 04:46 PM
Hmm this is quite strange, im not very familiar with Wireless issues but my money is on 1 or 2 things that could be the problem
Firstly; Your ping is like 400? Thats rather high considering mine never goes above 100 unless im downloading something, so maybe something is eating away at your bandwidth?
Or Maybe your wireless driver is outdated or requires an upgrade? Other than this I dont quite know what the problem could be, Hope this helps :)

Recursion
20-04-2010, 05:08 PM
Check wireless drivers, see who's downloading what, could be wireless interference, try changing your Wireless channel on your router.

Mexel
20-04-2010, 05:34 PM
Hmm this is quite strange, im not very familiar with Wireless issues but my money is on 1 or 2 things that could be the problem
Firstly; Your ping is like 400? Thats rather high considering mine never goes above 100 unless im downloading something, so maybe something is eating away at your bandwidth?
Or Maybe your wireless driver is outdated or requires an upgrade? Other than this I dont quite know what the problem could be, Hope this helps :)

Check wireless drivers, see who's downloading what, could be wireless interference, try changing your Wireless channel on your router.

Could you tell me how to do these things please? Im realy gonig out my mind i have spent hours and hours on the phone and tried loads of things now i have brought this and its still slow im going mad lol.

Just checked my desktop computer what is connected to the actualy modem aswell and the ping is 14 and speed is 19.59

xzl.
20-04-2010, 05:51 PM
Could you tell me how to do these things please? Im realy gonig out my mind i have spent hours and hours on the phone and tried loads of things now i have brought this and its still slow im going mad lol.

Just checked my desktop computer what is connected to the actualy modem aswell and the ping is 14 and speed is 19.59

It sounds like wireless interference as Recursion said, changing the wireless channel on your router seems like the best idea :) go to: http://192.168.0.1/ i believe you can change the channel from there? Correct me if im wrong :)

EDIT: if that link doesn't work, try http://192.168.1.1/

MattFr
20-04-2010, 05:52 PM
It's wireless.

http://www.comtecdirect.co.uk/default.asp?ProductID=SC001-CA04-101

Sorted.

Markeh
20-04-2010, 06:28 PM
It's wireless.

Sorted.

That doesn't answer his question. I'd -REP you if I could.

Joe, what router is it and are you connecting from an external Wi-Fi (ExpressCard or USB or PCI) or one integrated into your laptop/mobo?

MattFr
20-04-2010, 06:31 PM

Joe, what router is it and are you connecting from an external Wi-Fi (ExpressCard or USB or PCI) or one integrated into your laptop/mobo?
It does. It suggests a far superior alternative. Alternative solutions are sometimes the best solution to the original problem. -rep'd ;)

Mexel
20-04-2010, 06:48 PM

The new router i brought is called Netgear Wireless-N Router WNR2000. And my wireless is built into my laptop i dont use a card or a USB. But its the same speed on my old laptop and my mothers laptop too. I just dont understand it

Recursion
20-04-2010, 07:15 PM
It's wireless.

Sorted.

It does. It suggests a far superior alternative. Alternative solutions are sometimes the best solution to the original problem. -rep'd ;)

You seemed smart, obviously not.

Wireless networking is an integral part of most networks nowadays. I'm not going to plug an ethernet cable into my laptop when im sitting in bed nor am I going to be unplugging and plugging in my laptop when im walking around my school and the school I manage a network in, that would be just stupid... and what happens when you have something like an iPad or a tablet computer? You don't have wireless and the device doesn't have an ethernet port, well done. :eusa_clap

Don't listen to this guy.

Mexel
20-04-2010, 07:39 PM
Any ideas what i can do?

MattFr
20-04-2010, 07:45 PM
You seemed smart, obviously not.

Wireless networking is an integral part of most networks nowadays. I'm not going to plug an ethernet cable into my laptop when im sitting in bed nor am I going to be unplugging and plugging in my laptop when im walking around my school and the school I manage a network in, that would be just stupid... and what happens when you have something like an iPad or a tablet computer? You don't have wireless and the device doesn't have an ethernet port, well done. :eusa_clap

Don't listen to this guy.

Not sure where you saw me saying wireless wasn't good. It's good but it isn't amazing. I personally use Ethernet with everything but my phone because, in my opinion, it is far superior to the unreliability of wireless. I'm sorry that my opinion differs to your obviously exceptional opinion, but there is no need to attack me and call me unintelligent for it :)

On topic, since the problem is being caused purely by your wireless (see the trend here), I would say try everything in this thread, update your drivers, change the wireless channel, check you're within the signal range of the router and possibly beg, borrow or steal a different wireless card so you can rule out the possibility of a faulty wireless card on your machine.

Recursion
20-04-2010, 07:46 PM
Cannot say that Wireless has caused or had any problems in my lifetime, fyi :P

Mexel
20-04-2010, 07:48 PM
I have tried all them things with my old router and then brought a new one today and tried all them things again, i have even just waisted more money by upgrading to 50mb, nothing works!

MattFr
20-04-2010, 07:49 PM
Well I have. That is where my opinion is founded. Maybe you should have considered that before having a go at me? :)

I have tried all them things with my old router and then brought a new one today and tried all them things again, i have even just waisted more money by upgrading to 50mb, nothing works!
What happens when you sit right next to the router with your device? Same thing?

xzl.
20-04-2010, 07:54 PM

Me too, :L

Hmm I really have no idea, if you have tried all them things, maybe there's just a wireless interference that originates from another source? Is there anything in your house that generates any significant wireless signals/frequencies, I have heard they can have an effect on wireless speeds and capabilities?

Mexel
20-04-2010, 07:59 PM
Well I have. That is where my opinion is founded. Maybe you should have considered that before having a go at me? :)

What happens when you sit right next to the router with your device? Same thing?
Yeah just exact same speed, signal is all the way full everywere in the house.

Me too, :L

Hmm I really have no idea, if you have tried all them things, maybe there's just a wireless interference that originates from another source? Is there anything in your house that generates any significant wireless signals/frequencies, I have heard they can have an effect on wireless speeds and capabilities?
Im presuming the only thing is the wireless telephones but i unplugged them a few hours ago, thats the only thing i can think of that generates other wireless signals. I think i better turn the phone back on now thought its being quite a few hours, thanks for reminding me haha!

I think im just going to have to get someone out or somthing.

MattFr
20-04-2010, 08:01 PM

Im presuming the only thing is the wireless telephones but i unplugged them a few hours ago, thats the only thing i can think of that generates other wireless signals. I think i better turn the phone back on now thought its being quite a few hours, thanks for reminding me haha!

And you've tried a different wireless card on your device?

xzl.
20-04-2010, 08:01 PM

:L My pleasure ;D, although it is worth googling things that give of wireless signals etc and just checking whether you have any of these in your house, you never know it might just be something like that :)
If not yeah I think you should consult someone to take a physical look at it :)

:LUFC:
20-04-2010, 08:03 PM
Have you set a password on your router?, if not someone else could be connected to your network and possibly downloading stuff, making your speeds slower?

xzl.
20-04-2010, 08:08 PM
Have you set a password on your router?, if not someone else could be connected to your network and possibly downloading stuff, making your speeds slower?

He gets 20MB when connected via ethernet? I dont think this is problem :)

Jack!
21-04-2010, 09:58 PM
could be your modem, try plugging your wireless into a diffrent port on the modem, could be wireless interferance, but im thinking modem, how long have you had it and who is your ISP?

Recursion
22-04-2010, 06:15 AM
could be your modem, try plugging your wireless into a diffrent port on the modem, could be wireless interferance, but im thinking modem, how long have you had it and who is your ISP?

It's not his modem if he can connect fine through ethernet.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!