PDA

View Full Version : How to code

smiffy70
02-05-2010, 05:06 PM
hi im a total noob to this whole coding thing and i would like to get started, i dont know if there is a tutorial or what and i would like to know if i have to download software

but anway all i need is info so please write back with any hel and you will get +rep

triston220
02-05-2010, 05:29 PM
Visual Basic is a good way to start.

Jamesy
02-05-2010, 05:39 PM
http://www.w3schools.com/ is a good site. I would also suggest you download free layouts and play about with them - it's how I learnt just by tinkering with what was already there. Although remember not to claim it as your own :).

As for tools, NotePad++ is free and has syntax highlighting. You can always go for dreamweaver or something but that requires you to pay or other methods I'll not disclose ;)

Recursion
02-05-2010, 05:56 PM
What do you want to code?

You need to learn the right language for the job.

Colin-Roberts
02-05-2010, 05:57 PM
visual basics is not that good for coding anymore. it's kinda laggy ect. what do you want to code?

smiffy70
02-05-2010, 06:01 PM
i want to do stuff like web coding, u kno how they make websites and stuff to go on websites

Colin-Roberts
02-05-2010, 06:09 PM
progammers notepad, and w3schools.com would be a good start then

Recursion
02-05-2010, 06:15 PM
You'll want HTML and CSS to start with, and then go into PHP and MySQL

MattFr
02-05-2010, 06:36 PM
Don't listen to this.

Start with XHTML and CSS. Don't learn crap outdated stuff, make sure you're using divs for layouts.

Mr-Trainor
02-05-2010, 08:24 PM
i want to do stuff like web coding, u kno how they make websites and stuff to go on websites
This is the first tutorial I saw which is what taught me how to code single collumn web layouts, which is a good way to start. http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=453923&page=1
And then, as suggested above, www.w3schools.com is also a very good site imo which I use quite often :P

Blob
02-05-2010, 10:39 PM
I love it how you all say HTML first.

I learnt PHP first through editing scripts, and then eventually taught myself how to code HTML and CSS.

Just edit a script and try to make it into something you could use, if you make an error, CTRL + Z and try again.

smiffy70
03-05-2010, 10:47 AM
right, i got the basics and i think im ready to mess around with a layout, ive downloaded a free layout but howd do i put stuff on the page? i heard summit about a server but i dnt kno where it is so if u cud help i will give more rep :)

MattFr
03-05-2010, 10:54 AM
right, i got the basics and i think im ready to mess around with a layout, ive downloaded a free layout but howd do i put stuff on the page? i heard summit about a server but i dnt kno where it is so if u cud help i will give more rep :)
If you just save the page somewhere as .html on your harddrive it will open in browser.

L?KE
05-05-2010, 08:51 PM
I love it how you all say HTML first.

I learnt PHP first through editing scripts, and then eventually taught myself how to code HTML and CSS.

Just edit a script and try to make it into something you could use, if you make an error, CTRL + Z and try again.

That's only because without knowing HTML, there isn't much to do with PHP without the use of forms and whatnot.

Plus as he knows absolutely nothing it might be a tad more confusing i.e. more logic involved.

Ontopic, I use http://www.editplus.com/ and have never had an issue with it, find it easy to use. It's free, but after 30 days you get a nag window, but it's really nothing special.

Apolva
05-05-2010, 09:31 PM
Yeah, learning HTML first is better, since all PHP is doing is generating HTML code (until you get more advanced).

Learn HTML + basic javascript, then PHP.

BTW, I learned my first HTML using a WYSIWYG editor (Frontpage >:P).

Stephen
05-05-2010, 09:45 PM

I loled

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!