PDA

View Full Version : Should Politicians Take Children's Opinions More Seriously?

Gibs960
05-05-2010, 05:58 PM
The title is self-explanatory. Should Politicians Take Children's Opinions More Seriously? I think yes, as children are the future, and if we grow up in a world that is corrupt and disorganised, then we as Kids/Teenagers will suffer. Your opinions? P.S. I'm not sure if this is in the right forum, so if a Mod could move it if it isn't :)

Edited by Catzsy (Forum Super Moderator): Moved to this forum from ' Current Affairs ' . Thanks.

dbgtz
05-05-2010, 07:28 PM
Yes
Oddly, I asked a politician today about what he was doing (he was going around house to house for some reason) and he rejected me because I can't vote. Should have found out what party he was so I could publish it to the paper :( unless he was a phony then :S.

Anyway yes they should as they're the future voters.

Inseriousity.
05-05-2010, 07:36 PM
Good question. :)

Yeah, they should. There's a reason why people get to 18 and can't be bothered voting and that's because they're not informed about what's going on so they get to 18 and it's all gobbledegook. I had no idea what hung parliament and all these terms mean and if they'd took the time to tell me, in the future, I'd likely reward them for it.

Judas
05-05-2010, 07:38 PM
of course they should, as already said we are the future and we have as much right to give our views on how the country should be run, as it is our country as well

Gibs960
05-05-2010, 08:10 PM
LOL my mum is 48 and I don't even think she knows what a hung parliament is, because politics is nothing to her apart from when the election is coming :|

Neversoft
05-05-2010, 11:18 PM
No. The opinions of children are worthless. Once they mature they're going to have a totally different outlook on life. That's when their opinions start to matter and make sense. There is a reason people can't vote until they are eighteen.

-:Undertaker:-
05-05-2010, 11:26 PM
No they should not especially as most young people are lofty left wingers anyway with, lets be frank - ridiculous ideas. I have a better idea though, abolish government whips in parliament and allow free votes which would make sure parliament is accountable to the electorate and not the parties.

Catzsy
06-05-2010, 01:14 PM
No they should not especially as most young people are lofty left wingers anyway with, lets be frank - ridiculous ideas. I have a better idea though, abolish government whips in parliament and allow free votes which would make sure parliament is accountable to the electorate and not the parties.

Sources of evidence for the statement in bold, Dan or this is just rhetoric again ?

Anyway there is already a UK Youth Parliament
Link:
http://www.ukyouthparliament.org.uk/4655/index.html
http://www.ukyouthparliament.org.uk/20418/172637.html

Anyone wishing to stand as an MYP should attend a UK Youth Parliament Election Day. The Election Day should consist of at least four workshops around the themes of Representation, Democracy, Citizenship and the UK Youth Parliament. The idea is to give young people an informed choice about becoming an MYP, what is involved and the responsibilities that go with the role. Those young people who still want to stand for election at the end of day, should be supported by the local youth workers to prepare a short statement about why they think their peer group should vote for them.

Depending upon the funding available from the LEA, the election for the post of MYP will then either take place at the Election Day amongst the young people present; or will take place during the following few weeks across the local schools and youth clubs, etc with publicity about the candidates being widely available. In Kent, for the 2004 Elections 55,000 young people registered to vote, whilst 10,000 young people took part in the elections for Sutton in London.

- Once you are elected you will be expected to find out the concerns and needs of other young people in your constituency, and represent these views at local adult council meetings, etc. Your MP will be keen to hear from you, and many MYPs develop a productive working relationship with their MP during their term of office, often having regular meetings at the House of Commons and in the constituency.

- MYPs should be supported at a local level by a local youth participation, or youth worker. The UKYP supports MYPs at a regional level through a Regional Co-ordinator, and regional meetings which bring together MYPs from the UK’s nine English Regions once every six weeks or so. Once a year the UKYP holds an annual sitting, which brings together all of the MYPs from across the whole of the UK, for a three night, four day residential to create a Youth Manifesto which is presented to the Government for a response.

- In addition to working locally and regionally, the UKYP also undertakes to facilitate meetings between MYPs, Government Ministers and Government Departments on the issues that are raised in the Manifesto.

- Increasingly, the UKYP is developing an international element to its work, and in 2004 secured a place for an MYP to represent the UK at the Oxfam International Youth Parliament, in Sydney, Australia; and hopes to undertake a regular exchange programme with the emerging democratic Youth Parliament in Bahrain.

Any young person under the age of 18 can apply to be a UKYP and it is taken seriously and if this is not democracy in action I don't know what is.

Jordy
06-05-2010, 03:03 PM
Sources of evidence for the statement in bold, Dan or this is just rhetoric again ?

Anyway there is already a UK Youth Parliament
Link:
http://www.ukyouthparliament.org.uk/4655/index.html
http://www.ukyouthparliament.org.uk/20418/172637.html

Any young person under the age of 18 can apply to be a UKYP and it is taken seriously and if this is not democracy in action I don't know what is.Hmm I've used their forums a fair bit in the past however I thought the stuff on HabboxForum was a bit more serious. The people on there just rattle on about human rights and education etc constantly, it's not particularly interesting or balanced and while UKYP have succeeded in talking in both houses of parliament, I'm yet to hear of them actually persuading the government to do something.

I do quite like the initiative though. I think politicians should be more respectful to younger people and see them as potential voters and engage with them a bit more. In terms of listening to them I don't think people have a mature or balanced opinion until they are much older so they're not really worth listening to other than through channels such as UKYP.

-:Undertaker:-
06-05-2010, 03:27 PM

Rosie its a well known fact that younger people are to the left of the spectrum, famous Churchill quote on it also can be found on the subject.

ifuseekamy
06-05-2010, 04:45 PM
Maybe on trivial matters, most young people just sway to political extremes though. Nazis and communists got loads of support from hippy students.

Catzsy
06-05-2010, 08:01 PM
Rosie its a well known fact that younger people are to the left of the spectrum, famous Churchill quote on it also can be found on the subject.

Well maybe in the old days but with the global mass communication I am not sure if it is true today. Anyway what did you think about the UKYP parliament that I mentioned - do you think they are all rediculous?

Jam
06-05-2010, 11:43 PM
Youth Parliament is a joke. The 'MYP's' are voted on by a 20 word sentence and nothing else, needing no knowledge of politics whatsoever. A friend run for this a year or two back and results was like a children's party. Someone else from my class actually got in and the only thing I've ever heard him say was that Cameron 'had a big smile'.

Plus the whole concept that children/teenagers can have a view is just a load of bull anyways.

Angel-Light
06-05-2010, 11:46 PM
It depends on what age group you class children as. If a 15 year old is being classed as a child then I do say politicians should take more notice however a child under the age of 12 I do not believe so.

I just cast my first vote today at the age of 20 as I do believe the outcome will affect myself in my near future.

As a general election comes around once every 4 years and local elections every years or so then the key views of the voting public do count.

Overall I believe if you are 2 or 3 years away from being allowed to vote then your view counts but anything below not quite so.

FlyingJesus
07-05-2010, 01:24 AM
With a purely pragmatic view, no. Children can't vote so there would be no reason for a politician to listen to them.

Richie
07-05-2010, 10:21 AM
"We want free habbo furni"

i dnt think so

on srs note depends what age u call a child

Sharon
07-05-2010, 07:40 PM
Of course, the tread kids like nothing, as if they aren't part of the community and shouldn't have a say.

Axel
07-05-2010, 07:51 PM
Should they take their opinions more seriously? Some, yes. Not children, but around the teenage years, if there is debates or whatever then their opinions should count. But for anything other than that like voting, definately not.

Gibs960
07-05-2010, 08:31 PM
But after all, who better to judge the schools than the children learning in them?

dbgtz
07-05-2010, 09:12 PM
But after all, who better to judge the schools than the children learning in them?
OFSTED apparently even though, and I quote from my sub teacher: "I have been to schools where it is good on paper, but bad in reality and where they are poor on paper but good in reality". So yeah.

Also I do agree with the age grouping but the real problem with teens not being taken seriously is because of how alot of them act really and how alot of them don't have a clue when in a sense it's not their fault.

kuzkasate
07-05-2010, 09:21 PM
Well, I believe you have to look at both sides of the arguement.

Yes. Why? Because we are the future & we will be voting when we are old enough. We also want to find out whats going on & maybe get a question answered thats been puzzling you.

No. Why? Because some teenagers dont understand a god damn thing about politics & will come up with stupid questions & that are just a waste of time.

But I believe, it varys from people.

MrPinkPanther
07-05-2010, 09:25 PM
Honestly? No. Additionally I'm sorry but UKYP is a load of rubbish, a friend of mine was the representative for my area a few years ago. He's a moron, knows little about politics and is an awful public speaker. In my humble opinion UKYP is an attempt to make it look like young people are listened to when really it does little to help anyone, they have neither power nor legitimacy.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!