PDA

View Full Version : +11 REP FOR TECH HELP - ASAP!!!

Black_Apalachi
05-05-2010, 07:55 PM
What's basically happened is I've got this 'AntiSpyware Soft' which is essentially a fake spy-ware programme that gives you fake alerts in order to persuade you to purchase their software. It's on my laptop and is preventing me going on the internet or using any applications.

I followed this guide; http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-antispyware-soft.html but it was still there and all I have really in terms of anti-virus is AVG (8.5) which apparently doesn't detect it (as it isn't a virus itself). I had resorted to system restore but it is even preventing me from doing that!

So I want to know whether it is possible to do a system restore from Safe Mode (with Networking, or any of the other options on the F8 start-up menu). Alternatively, any other solutions to get rid of AntiSpyware Soft would be greatly appreciated.

I'm using Windows Vista (Home Basic) on a Fujitsu Siemens laptop (currently creating this thread on a different PC).

Thanks in advance.

Apolva
05-05-2010, 08:03 PM
If you have the original disks/windows install disk -> reformat + reinstall windows (recommended)

If not, download & run this: http://www.malwarebytes.org/ (the free version)

That should remove it. In future may I suggest running either Kaspersky or NOD32 as your main A/V.

Black_Apalachi
05-05-2010, 08:09 PM
If you have the original disks/windows install disk -> reformat + reinstall windows (recommended)

If not, download & run this: http://www.malwarebytes.org/ (the free version)

That should remove it. In future may I suggest running either Kaspersky or NOD32 as your main A/V.

I've seen that malwarebytes mentioned a few times but.............. I can't get on the internet. And I don't have any Windows disks.

Apolva
05-05-2010, 08:12 PM
I can't get on the internet.

Download it on this PC and copy it over on a memory stick or something.

Black_Apalachi
05-05-2010, 08:24 PM
I doubt it will let me, but I'll try. Thanks

edit: this says it's gonna take 4 hours!

Matthew
05-05-2010, 08:48 PM
I doubt it will let me, but I'll try. Thanks

edit: this says it's gonna take 4 hours!
its 4hours or a new computer ;)

Black_Apalachi
05-05-2010, 10:18 PM
its 4hours or a new computer ;)

It said 4 hours, then it said about 10 hours now it says 3 days!!!!!!!! And it also says 0.1/5.9 MB ...so a 5.9 MB file is gonna take 3 days to download? :S

Apolva
05-05-2010, 10:47 PM
Cancel and start download again. If that's still ridiculously slow, try a mirror.

Black_Apalachi
05-05-2010, 10:58 PM
Lmao why didn't I think of that! It did it in about 10 seconds the second time, thanks :P I'll let you know how it goes with the laptop.

Black_Apalachi
06-05-2010, 01:45 PM
Right, as far as I can tell I've sorted everything (I'm typing this from my laptop which is a good sign!) but the only problem I'm left with is that Internet Explorer spontaneously opens itself up at any given moment and displays random adverts.

Am I right in thinking IE can not be uninstalled? If so, anybody got any ideas on how to stop it doing this?

Apolva
06-05-2010, 02:57 PM
That's good that you now have internet, but it sounds like you still have some adware/spyware installed.

Do another scan using MBAM and then download and install Kaspersky 30-day trial (http://kaspersky.com/) Update kaspersky and run a full scan.

I don't think it's possible to completely remove IE, as many of its components are needed for other stuff.
In add/remove programs -> Windows components, I think it just lets you remove shortcuts to it, but not remove its core.

But IE isn't the problem, rather a symptom of the adware, so best to get rid of it.

matt$
06-05-2010, 03:00 PM
This might not be great advice but i've had the same problem, it asks for credit card details i just kept entering any odd ones till it accepted and went, i then removed it by reformating computer as it lets u once u enter in card details.

Black_Apalachi
06-05-2010, 04:34 PM
That's good that you now have internet, but it sounds like you still have some adware/spyware installed.

Do another scan using MBAM and then download and install Kaspersky 30-day trial (http://kaspersky.com/) Update kaspersky and run a full scan.

I don't think it's possible to completely remove IE, as many of its components are needed for other stuff.
In add/remove programs -> Windows components, I think it just lets you remove shortcuts to it, but not remove its core.

But IE isn't the problem, rather a symptom of the adware, so best to get rid of it.

Actually since posting my last post in this thread I haven't seen anything. Not sure what's happened to it but it's looking good. I'll keep this advice in mind if the problem comes back, thanks :)

This might not be great advice but i've had the same problem, it asks for credit card details i just kept entering any odd ones till it accepted and went, i then removed it by reformating computer as it lets u once u enter in card details.

I'm past all that now, it was just a few remains still hanging around but as I say, everything seems fine now.

Markeh
06-05-2010, 04:36 PM
If you get problems again, somehow obtain a Windows disc, then follow Jewish Bear's 3-step Easy Fix™

BACKUP. FORMAT. REINSTALL.

©Jewish Bear, 2010. All rights reserved.

It's the only true way to make sure your system is clean.

jukeb0x
06-05-2010, 05:18 PM
I just got rid of this virus this morning mate, I tried the F8 method too but it didn't work. As soon as my PC loaded I quickly went to the system restore (start > all progs > accessories > system tools > system restore) I did it rapid, like proper, and it worked.

Black_Apalachi
08-05-2010, 07:23 AM
I just got rid of this virus this morning mate, I tried the F8 method too but it didn't work. As soon as my PC loaded I quickly went to the system restore (start > all progs > accessories > system tools > system restore) I did it rapid, like proper, and it worked.

Yeah I was trying to do that too but even if I got to the last window before the bug popped up again, it wouldn't let me run the process anyway because the bug was stopping all applications from responding.

Anyway, that Malwarebytes thing seems to have sorted everything nicely :)

danzooo
08-05-2010, 10:42 AM
Why not just go to control panel > add/remove programs > locate this fake spyware and remove it?

Jack!
08-05-2010, 11:51 AM
Because it blocks you from doing anything, windows loads up and you just cant do anything

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!