PDA

View Full Version : Best places to stay in the UK

Blinger$
05-05-2010, 10:25 PM
Hmm.. i'm thinking of travelling to Switzerland in December/January (family, woo :rolleyes:).. and when I'm there I'm gonna travel to ze UK and other places around Europe..
Since you guys are from the UK or whatever. Whats the best places to see/stay. How long do you recommend staying for and how much should i budget?
Obviously i want to see a lot of things (I'm open to see everything, but remember, i am travelling by myself)..

Kieran
05-05-2010, 10:27 PM
Well... Hmm.... Any idea of what end you'll end up? Like North or South?

If you come to the South, London is probably a good bet. It's the most touristy area with quite a lot to do.. See Big Ben, London Eye, Madame Tussauds etc :)

Blinger$
05-05-2010, 10:28 PM
Well... Hmm.... Any idea of what end you'll end up? Like North or South?

If you come to the South, London is probably a good bet. It's the most touristy area with quite a lot to do.. See Big Ben, London Eye, Madame Tussauds etc :)
I'm up for anything.. Defs wanna go on a double decker bus, you know those big red ones (i presume they are common their).. and i will see London

Kieran
05-05-2010, 10:29 PM
They're common in London yes :D

Blinger$
05-05-2010, 10:32 PM
Defs going to london then.

How cheap/expensive is transport/accommodation? I don't want to spend 1000 bucks on bloody transport/accommodation y'know..

Kieran
05-05-2010, 10:34 PM
Well London is the capital so it's going to be more expensive than a lot of places. You tend to use the Underground in London a lot and you can get a day ticket for the whole of London for about £20? I don't actually live there myself so can't tell you about buses. If it's anything like Oxford then a bus trip is likely to be about £2.60ish for a one way.

Joe!
09-05-2010, 09:29 PM
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14415.aspx
You can get a 7 day travel pass for the bus anywhere in london for £16 :)
Theres buses every few minutes so you'll be able to travel around easily.

Jordy
09-05-2010, 09:53 PM
Sorry to disappoint but the proper London Buses (Routemasters) were taken out of services a few years back. They run a few for tourists on sightseeing tours I think but they don't run on normal service anyways :(

http://www.britishtaxdiscs.co.uk/images/gallery/large/1960%20AEC%20Routemaster%20Bus.jpg

Obviously London is worth checking out, a lot of people like Edinburgh & Liverpool for their culture too. A proper sea-side resort is essential to a visit to Britain, Brighton or Blackpool perhaps? Not quite up to the Australian Golden Beaches but an experience never the less. In terms of open space, the lake district and peak district are both very picturesque places, ideal for walking, climbing and adventures. I'd also go to Alton Towers, incredible theme park in the centre of England, I've no idea how good you are with theme parks but it's a remarkable place.

Go through things you're interesting in doing or heard of in the past and people might be able to help a bit more :)

Neversoft
09-05-2010, 09:58 PM
Cornwall is particularly nice on a warm summers day and there is a lot to do in London.

wixard
09-05-2010, 09:59 PM
omg come to ireland

i'm only new here so we can go do tourist stuff together

FlyingJesus
09-05-2010, 10:01 PM
The south is the best (obv) but up north is a lot cheaper... for basic reasons like everyone there is illiterate and fat or something like that

Technologic
11-05-2010, 04:30 PM
Avoid the north, the only decent place is the golden triangle + Manchester.

kuzkasate
11-05-2010, 07:29 PM
Switzerland is cool. Especially if your going in the Winter so see the Alps :)

Anyway, one place not to go is Manchester lol. London's very nice & isnt that dear to travel round and stuff, hotels can get quite dear though! But yeah, you'll really enjoy it :)

Swearwolf
11-05-2010, 08:52 PM
dont go north you'll get stabbed

matt$
11-05-2010, 08:53 PM
Bow in london.

AlexOC
11-05-2010, 09:45 PM
My bed.

alexxxxx
11-05-2010, 10:24 PM
london, nottz, manc and maybe the north east? unless you are bothered about scotland and/or ireland.

Swastika
12-05-2010, 12:15 AM
Depends what you wanna do, if you wanna go down the horrible south then go to the capital, London.
Don't go anywhere else except London because the south is absolutely jam packed with either s****, people rushing all over, people pushing into you, people with stupid accents or people who are inbred's.

Northern England is much more relaxed and full of working people, the best part of England, we're genuine people. :)

Website for you! http://www.visitnortheastengland.com/

Blinger$
12-05-2010, 03:11 AM
Sorry to disappoint but the proper London Buses (Routemasters) were taken out of services a few years back. They run a few for tourists on sightseeing tours I think but they don't run on normal service anyways :(

http://www.britishtaxdiscs.co.uk/images/gallery/large/1960%20AEC%20Routemaster%20Bus.jpg

Obviously London is worth checking out, a lot of people like Edinburgh & Liverpool for their culture too. A proper sea-side resort is essential to a visit to Britain, Brighton or Blackpool perhaps? Not quite up to the Australian Golden Beaches but an experience never the less. In terms of open space, the lake district and peak district are both very picturesque places, ideal for walking, climbing and adventures. I'd also go to Alton Towers, incredible theme park in the centre of England, I've no idea how good you are with theme parks but it's a remarkable place.

Go through things you're interesting in doing or heard of in the past and people might be able to help a bit more :)
As if they take those sweet buses out!! WHAT THE ****!
The alton towers do sound good, a few people here on the forum talk about them... I love theme parks, so thats a plus :)

omg come to ireland

i'm only new here so we can go do tourist stuff together
kkkkk lets go to england.

The south is the best (obv) but up north is a lot cheaper... for basic reasons like everyone there is illiterate and fat or something like that
Oh... will they try and use big words to impress me!?

Switzerland is cool. Especially if your going in the Winter so see the Alps :)
I don't need to travel around switzerland again! I lived there for a bit and i know whats the happy haps!

My bed.
done deal.

Depends what you wanna do, if you wanna go down the horrible south then go to the capital, London.
Don't go anywhere else except London because the south is absolutely jam packed with either s****, people rushing all over, people pushing into you, people with stupid accents or people who are inbred's.

Northern England is much more relaxed and full of working people, the best part of England, we're genuine people. :)

Website for you! http://www.visitnortheastengland.com/
Hmm, london is a must, thats for sure! I hear a lot of people talk about London and all that crap, so i wanna go their. And i want to see a premiers league match, that'll be awesome! (this'll sound dumb, but does london have a team in that league? i've never heard of em!)

+reps to you guys

P.S, i think its easy to tell who are the 'northerners' and 'southerners' on here !

Swastika
12-05-2010, 10:46 AM
As if they take those sweet buses out!! WHAT THE ****!
The alton towers do sound good, a few people here on the forum talk about them... I love theme parks, so thats a plus :)

kkkkk lets go to england.

Oh... will they try and use big words to impress me!?

I don't need to travel around switzerland again! I lived there for a bit and i know whats the happy haps!

done deal.

Hmm, london is a must, thats for sure! I hear a lot of people talk about London and all that crap, so i wanna go their. And i want to see a premiers league match, that'll be awesome! (this'll sound dumb, but does london have a team in that league? i've never heard of em!)

+reps to you guys

P.S, i think its easy to tell who are the 'northerners' and 'southerners' on here !
There's tonnes of clubs in the Premier League that are based in London - Chelsea, Arsenal, Fulham, Tottenham Hotspur, West Ham and some lower league teams.

Yeah London's good and defiantly a place you should visit if you come to England, but perhaps come up North and come and see the Lake District?
It's great if you like adventure, a laid back atmosphere and its full of amazing scenery.

And yeah, im Northern. :P

Pyroka
12-05-2010, 10:50 AM
Up north is alright, like Leeds, Manchester, Birmingham & Liverpool + Sheffield all being really nice cities... well, I hold on Leed & Sheffield but personal opinion and dat.

Down south has its pros too, like its got Southampton, Exeter & Plymouth (woot), London obvv and places like Reading & stuff like dat. I think as a tourist you'd like London more, and if you were to go anywhere else its got great links to other parts of the country whether that be train, plane or w.e you'd enjoy London.

and obviously theres scotland like Glasgow & Edinburgh that you must check out at least once, theyre cooooool same with ireland/northern ireland if you had the money id go for it. Depends how long you wanted to coem to the UK for rly, if you stayed for 2-3 weeks I think you could everything in.... and if you've got the money lol. I reccomend a week though realistically. and ofc you've gotta tell me when you're coming so we can go for a drink haha.

Swearwolf
12-05-2010, 11:00 AM
i still say you'll get stabbed up north, and i'm a midlander

Pyroka
12-05-2010, 11:07 AM

NORTHAMPTON IS HARDLY MIDLANDS OH WAIT GGOOGLES IT IS LOL OOPS. why did i always think youre from nottingham?!: :S:S:S:

either way midlands is just as bad if not sometimes worse than up north, liverpools lovely i feel so safe and i have a laugh widda scousaz

FlyingJesus
12-05-2010, 11:35 AM
Not on the south coast = up north

Blinger$
12-05-2010, 08:54 PM
Okay, im thinking this...

Travel for maybe 2 weeks (i probably only get that amount of holidays from work :(), go to london, get one of those bus passes so i can visit things for cheap(ish). Visit some places up north, the alton towers (but it'll be winter so i dunno if that'll be good).. I'll go to ireland, and scotland somewhere... dont mind where! and rip it to shreds as i get my drinkin' hat on...

Hmm, I think thats about all that i can think of atm..

Oh yeah! What is the best travel? I mean around london/going to the "outter areas" and such? I mean, are taxis expensive? because they damn look it!

Swastika
13-05-2010, 12:59 AM
All the wannabe London gangsters are more likely to stab you than a Northerner.

immense
13-05-2010, 01:44 AM
devon defo

north of england is horrid

Jordy
13-05-2010, 03:14 PM
Okay, im thinking this...

Travel for maybe 2 weeks (i probably only get that amount of holidays from work :(), go to london, get one of those bus passes so i can visit things for cheap(ish). Visit some places up north, the alton towers (but it'll be winter so i dunno if that'll be good).. I'll go to ireland, and scotland somewhere... dont mind where! and rip it to shreds as i get my drinkin' hat on...

Hmm, I think thats about all that i can think of atm..

Oh yeah! What is the best travel? I mean around london/going to the "outter areas" and such? I mean, are taxis expensive? because they damn look it!Alton Towers is shut from like November-April

While England looks a small country, taxi's are not a practical way to move around, they cost an absolute bomb and in central London they're not particularly quick. For central london I suggest the tube network, very rapid, found throughout London and easy enough for tourists. Outside of London you'll probably want to use trains, these go to virtually everywhere in the UK. You could use planes to some destinations but it usually costs quite a bit more.

alexxxxx
13-05-2010, 08:56 PM
Alton Towers is shut from like November-April

While England looks a small country, taxi's are not a practical way to move around, they cost an absolute bomb and in central London they're not particularly quick. For central london I suggest the tube network, very rapid, found throughout London and easy enough for tourists. Outside of London you'll probably want to use trains, these go to virtually everywhere in the UK. You could use planes to some destinations but it usually costs quite a bit more.

don't forget national express coaches - much cheaper but slower.

Swearwolf
14-05-2010, 10:57 PM
national express coaches are awesome, so comfortable and some of the drivers are right funny

jackass
14-05-2010, 11:00 PM
Woolacombe, Devon. :)

Becca
15-05-2010, 08:02 AM
I went to Great Yarmouth before and it's amazing.
The weather is pretty good for the UK and it has an amazing beach.
But don't go to the heaven there, it fails.

itsMIKEYY
15-05-2010, 08:45 AM
Just a few:

London
Cornwall
Cardiff
Isle Of Wight
Glasgow

Blinger$
22-07-2010, 07:07 AM
BUMP *REMOVED*

so, what sections are the cheapest for accommodation? I don't mean those hostel things, they look tacky and will tarnish my reputation.. I am about this |--| far from buying tickets to go in march.. :O!

Also, what section would be best for a tourist? I will be arriving at Stansted airport because thats where air asia flys to, so i guess i wanna stay closer to london because it looks like a fair whack from the airport!

Edited by Mr-Trainor (Forum Super Moderator): please do not avoid the forum filter.

Samantha.
22-07-2010, 07:35 AM
London is pretty much the main place! Loads of tourist places there. If your looking for somewhere with a beach I would suggest Cornwall, Newquay or Devon, there great in the summer.

Becca
22-07-2010, 09:00 AM
Great Yarmouth - When the weather is good, it's amazing.

Jordy
22-07-2010, 10:29 AM
Great Yarmouth - When the weather is good, it's amazing.Yeah but he's from Australia and going in March :P

Accommodation is most expensive around central London. Just put into google "Cheap hotels in..." and you should be able to find some price comparison sites, Premier Inns are generally pretty cheap and comfortable.

Stansted Airport's not that from London, there's a railway station built into it and the train will take an hour to get you to London and there's also lots of coaches going to London:
http://www.stanstedexpress.com/

Shockwave.2CC
22-07-2010, 01:04 PM
Torbay, Devon
London
Gt Yarmouth

Dj.sm
22-07-2010, 01:18 PM
I think yuou should go to the lake district for a weekend and then fly to leed's. After that i suggest a weekend in london. they are some goooooddd places

Blinger$
22-07-2010, 09:58 PM
London is pretty much the main place! Loads of tourist places there. If your looking for somewhere with a beach I would suggest Cornwall, Newquay or Devon, there great in the summer.
I want to go to london for sure.. and in the london underground(?)

Great Yarmouth - When the weather is good, it's amazing.
I don't want to go to the beach, i am australian.. we are surrounded by it!

I think yuou should go to the lake district for a weekend and then fly to leed's. After that i suggest a weekend in london. they are some goooooddd places
That looked nice on wikipedia, i suppose i can visit that! Is it easy to get to with public transport?
I'll look into this premier inn thing

Jordan
23-07-2010, 08:37 AM
Cornwall is particularly nice on a warm summers day and there is a lot to do in London.
warmmmm and it's warm today in cornwall, I think it's a beach dayyy

I went to Great Yarmouth before and it's amazing.
The weather is pretty good for the UK and it has an amazing beach.
But don't go to the heaven there, it fails.
Great Yarmouth is greatt, not as good as Cornwall though

Just a few:

London
Cornwall - AGREED.
Cardiff
Isle Of Wight
Glasgow

Newquay's great, even thought I hardly go there :L i should go there more often!!

Basically Cornwall is the best

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!