PDA

View Full Version : [Online Radio] PPL & PRS for music licence

Richie
07-05-2010, 09:54 AM
Well recently habbo fansites have began to open again, its blatantly obvious that the majority of them don't own a PPL or PRS for music licence (including habboxlive).

Do you think they should be forced to purchase one like everyone else?

Also while back a member of management from habbox said "Habboxlive don't have a licence because we had a good enough reason not to pay" I'm curious with what was their "good reason" not to purchase the licence.

+Rep if anyone can explain the bold

Colin-Roberts
07-05-2010, 11:25 AM
it's a waste of money for small fansites, plus how do you know the shoutcast servers are hosted in the uk? if there not then why buy a liscence

Richie
07-05-2010, 11:43 AM
it's a waste of money for small fansites, plus how do you know the shoutcast servers are hosted in the uk? if there not then why buy a liscence

So if the servers are hosted in say the usa, is a licence needed?

Kieran
07-05-2010, 01:12 PM
I'm sure I read about this on the internet... Even if your servers are located in the US you still need a UK license if allowing UK listeners ;)

Apolva
07-05-2010, 02:56 PM
I'm sure I read about this on the internet... Even if your servers are located in the US you still need a UK license if allowing UK listeners ;)

this.

You need to be licensed in every country you stream to.

Recursion
07-05-2010, 04:15 PM
So, who wants to report Habbox Radio? :P

Richie
07-05-2010, 05:40 PM
So, who wants to report Habbox Radio? :P

lol how do you report

LMS16
10-05-2010, 09:38 PM
lol how do you report

Im not too sure he was being serious...

If its "teens" who run the site then there isnt much they can do... its just anothe rway for copyright owners to make money...

I dont think anyone give a care in the world if they lose money?

Lew.

peteyt
12-05-2010, 04:31 PM
As a online radio station owner myself, licenses to me are important. I know lots of large habbo stations that run illegaly but even though my station is a non-habbo currently small station, I aim to turn it into a large online media company. The problem is the larger I try and make it the more I'd be at risk if I wasn't licensed. I've thought of it, and could imagine myself finding a good sponsorship deal turning up, but then the company asking me if I could show any evidence of licenses.

I've gave advice on this matter to a few habbo stations in the past - as the problem when it comes to licenses is people are unware of what actually is needed. For example some beleive SHOUTcast comes with licenses - this is fale - they allow you to stream content but if its copyrighted then you are to provide the licenses to cover them.

I use Web Radio World, a service that is linked with PPL to give webcasters cheap licensing and is covered im multiple countries. It currently isn't linked with PRS, although attempts have been made. Broadcasting copyrighted material in the UK sadly needs a PPL and PRS license.

The problem is it would be expensive for habbo fan sites - lots of listeners and making no money. The chances of getting caught are low but its still one of those things, what happens if you are caught. PPL have been known to be making warnings to fan sites - the problem is, if they have warned you, and you continue, this might allow them to prosecute you, as you can't say after the second time, "oh I didn't know you need licenses." Someone once told me you didn't need a license if you where bellow a certain age - this is a lie. If your broadcasting copyrighted material for whatever reason, at what ever age, you need al license.

http://webradioworld.com/modules/mastop_publish/?tac=Small_Webcasters_Royalty_Coverage

MattFr
12-05-2010, 04:34 PM
Im not too sure he was being serious...

If its "teens" who run the site then there isnt much they can do... its just anothe rway for copyright owners to make money...

I dont think anyone give a care in the world if they lose money?

Lew.
Nope, I love it when I lose money; infact, I'm smoking a £20 note now.

peteyt
12-05-2010, 04:36 PM
And it would be a lot more than £20 they'd demand lol

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!