PDA

View Full Version : Competitions Department

Tintinnabulate
08-05-2010, 08:00 PM
Heyy :)

I was looking at the competitions department (as it was in The Rainbow's manifesto too) and I must say, it has improved a lot since January. I remember in December there was a huge thread where we suggested many ideas.

I had a look at competition threads from January and some from April. There is quite a big difference in the number of entries.

Date Posted - Number of Entries

30-01-2010 - 11
24-01-2010 - 9
24-01-2010 - 10
22-01-2010 - 8
20-01-2010 - 11
15-01-2010 - 7
11-01-2010 - 7

27-04-2010 - 15
14-04-2010 - 18
09-04-2010 - 19
14-04-2010 - 12
26-03-2010 - 15
10-04-2010 - 22

You get the idea. More people enter the competitions now than back in January.

However, I think it would be a great idea to advertise Competitions on the Rare Values page on Habbox to get more hits. I am sure its the most popular page of Habbox and it should be used to advertise other departments too and not just "Submit your Rare Values on the Forum".

This might pull in more members to the forum after the merge. I am sure a lot of new Habbo's will start using the rare values and it would be great to advertise competitions (and therefore the forum at the same time as they will have to register).

It might also be a good idea to add a banner on the top of Habbox.com advertising Competitions. Right now the banner only advertises the following things when it rotates:

HxHD
Rare Values Desk (is there really a need for it?)
Habbox Group
Room Reviews
HabboxForum
Habbox Lottery

So yeah, overall, well done to competitions for getting more entries now than a few months ago. But I think it would be a good idea to advertise it on the big habbox.com banner and on Rare Values page. Maybe make the banner on Rare Values page a changing .gif like on the top of Habbox.com?

lPinoy
08-05-2010, 08:06 PM
I do agree, the competitions staff has done a spectacular job on it and the amount of competitions that are being done every week are enormous. Yeah, it does need a little more recognition and praise than it gets.

Also, didn't there used to be four or five competitions a month like a few months/a year ago. When did this actually change?

Tintinnabulate
08-05-2010, 08:06 PM
I do agree, the competitions staff has done a spectacular job on it and the amount of competitions that are being done every week are enormous. Yeah, it does need a little more recognition and praise than it gets.

Indeed. I had a look at the competitions being posted and it surely doesn't look like an easy job to do. Thinking of new ideas all the time.

Inseriousity.
08-05-2010, 08:07 PM
Advertising has been part of the agenda since... well, forever really. :D
As for the banner rotation, that's mostly my fault as I keep saying "yeah, we could do with one of those" and then I forget to request the banner. I will add that to my to-do list and hopefully, they'll be able to get a banner that actually fits in the requirements.

Thanks for the feedback, we'll take it on board and do it "next month" (lol oj).

Tintinnabulate
08-05-2010, 08:09 PM
Advertising has been part of the agenda since... well, forever really. :D
As for the banner rotation, that's mostly my fault as I keep saying "yeah, we could do with one of those" and then I forget to request the banner. I will add that to my to-do list and hopefully, they'll be able to get a banner that actually fits in the requirements.

Thanks for the feedback, we'll take it on board and do it "next month" (lol oj).

Haha I remember last time everyone (including me) said "next month" never comes. But I am very glad you implemented the suggestions. :)

Inseriousity.
08-05-2010, 08:13 PM
Yeah, you were all really harsh lol, "next month" was only 7 days away at the time :( but I suppose past experience must have taught you not to get your hopes up. :D

However, if you weren't harsh, we wouldn't have got things done so we do appreciate any feedback we get and act on it, if we can.

Alex3213
08-05-2010, 08:14 PM
Heyy :)

I was looking at the competitions department (as it was in The Rainbow's manifesto too) and I must say, it has improved a lot since January. I remember in December there was a huge thread where we suggested many ideas.

I had a look at competition threads from January and some from April. There is quite a big difference in the number of entries.

Date Posted - Number of Entries

30-01-2010 - 11
24-01-2010 - 9
24-01-2010 - 10
22-01-2010 - 8
20-01-2010 - 11
15-01-2010 - 7
11-01-2010 - 7

27-04-2010 - 15
14-04-2010 - 18
09-04-2010 - 19
14-04-2010 - 12
26-03-2010 - 15
10-04-2010 - 22

You get the idea. More people enter the competitions now than back in January.

However, I think it would be a great idea to advertise Competitions on the Rare Values page on Habbox to get more hits. I am sure its the most popular page of Habbox and it should be used to advertise other departments too and not just "Submit your Rare Values on the Forum".

This might pull in more members to the forum after the merge. I am sure a lot of new Habbo's will start using the rare values and it would be great to advertise competitions (and therefore the forum at the same time as they will have to register).

It might also be a good idea to add a banner on the top of Habbox.com advertising Competitions. Right now the banner only advertises the following things when it rotates:

HxHD
Rare Values Desk (is there really a need for it?)
Habbox Group
Room Reviews
HabboxForum
Habbox Lottery

So yeah, in overall, well done to competitions for getting more entries now than a few months ago. But I think it would be a good idea to advertise it on the big habbox.com banner and on Rare Values page. Maybe make the banner on Rare Values page a changing .gif like on the top of Habbox.com?

Hey Saurav, thanks for your concern! As you know we are always looking for feedback and it is definitely appreciated. I would like to thank you for being ever so interested with the Competitions Department as I know you have been following it for a good while and it is brilliant to see that changes are being made!

In regards to your comments, I too have noticed that entries have gone up, I personally don't believe it is to do with the forum activity as it is slowly dying, in my opinion, however that ideas are slowly getting executed better which is definitely an improvement for the department, I'm not sure if you'd agree.

A banner for the department will probably be requested soon, at the moment we have signature advertisments (which possibly could be used for notices once in a while if Forum Management agees) but not a banner big enough for the rotator. I will discuss with the Competitions Manager (Inseriousity.) if we can get the Graphics Dept. to make one for us, however that will come next week *insert Eastenders music*!

My actual view on this is that departments should be able to help each other in some shape of form. It isn't a competition, we're all one fansite and we aren't trying to become 'top dog', therefore we should be promoting each other in whatever way we can! I would also like to take this time to say thanks to the Graphics Department because they certainly don't get enough praise, however their banners certianly advertise! But yeah, I think it shouldn't be for just one thing i.e. what the actual 'activity' is as it were, it should be helping all of Habbox!

Banners, to be fair, I never notice. I can leave it as that but I don't know if it would attract users, personally it wouldn't.

Thanks once again for taking the time to post your feedback :).

EDIT: @lPinoy:

I believe there used to be around 10 competitions a month at tops. However it was part of our 'New Year, New Habbox Competitions' scheme which was implemented in January and now there is about 4 times that amount if all competitions are posted and are open for five days so the wait isn't too long!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!