PDA

View Full Version : Not a good first impression

Tintinnabulate
14-05-2010, 09:12 AM
If I went on a forum for the first time and saw so much stuff on the top, I would automatically be put off by it.

I can understand the advert being there, the notice about IE problems and the welcome notice (which can be made nicer). But whats the point in the big banner advertising Rare Values announcement? Whats the point in the "top secret prize" announcement? No Habbo will register just because of the top secret prize if they don't know what it is.

When someone first goes on the forum, they cant actually see any content at first glance, just adverts and notices.

http://i39.tinypic.com/14jthuf.jpg

Now compare that to CHF:

http://i43.tinypic.com/14n0osj.jpg

GommeInc
14-05-2010, 10:07 AM
It does make HxF look like one of those website placeholders for adverts, waiting for people to buy the domain :P All it needs is the welcome notice, the IE notice is for registered users (thus the point of the announcement).

scott
14-05-2010, 10:12 AM
I think the bottom 2 notices could go, maybe if the bottom one is needed it could be merged in with the main announcement one?

immense
14-05-2010, 10:14 AM
I swear to god they're about the same length but you've just made the CH image longer lol

Tintinnabulate
14-05-2010, 10:17 AM
I swear to god they're about the same length but you've just made the CH image longer lol

its exactly what i see when i go on both sites. not cut off anything.

immense
14-05-2010, 10:19 AM
oh lol probably looks that because habbox is just bulkier, why can't we just have a simple, pleasing skin like ch lol :/

GommeInc
14-05-2010, 10:29 AM
oh lol probably looks that because habbox is just bulkier, why can't we just have a simple, pleasing skin like ch lol :/
I find the default CHF skin colourless and bland, like eating a rice cake. The default HxF skin is like a rice cake with orange added in for flavour on a blue plate ;)

immense
14-05-2010, 10:31 AM
Don't even compare the sleek look of CH to these monstrosities!

Tintinnabulate
14-05-2010, 10:48 AM
The skins CHF had during Christmas was just amazing.

immense
14-05-2010, 10:52 AM
Yeah, that was real good. They have no history though!

Tintinnabulate
14-05-2010, 11:02 AM
Yeah, that was real good. They have no history though!

What do you mean no history?

Black_Apalachi
14-05-2010, 11:02 AM

This is true; the CH one is 794 in length while the Habbox one is only 761. Still, I think the way CH has implemented its Google ad into the layout rather than sticking it in a sort of no man's land like Habbox has done helps make everything look slightly more petite. I think the Habbox (Rare Values) advertisement could be very nicely situated on the main header banner at the very top where there is bucket loads of wasted space. It could then revolve through a few different current topics. I've seen this done on many fansites and it looks good and saves space while at the same time draws the audience's attention immediately.

Tintinnabulate
14-05-2010, 11:04 AM
This is true; the CH one is 794 in length while the Habbox one is only 761. Still, I think the way CH has implemented its Google ad into the layout rather than sticking it in a sort of no man's land like Habbox has done helps make everything look slightly more petite. I think the Habbox (Rare Values) advertisement could be very nicely situated on the main header banner at the very top where there is bucket loads of wasted space. It could then revolve through a few different current topics. I've seen this done on many fansites and it looks good and saves space while at the same time draws the audience's attention immediately.

It wasnt intentional. I screenshot the page and pasted it in.

immense
14-05-2010, 11:05 AM
What do you mean no history?

I mean that Habbox has been here for a long time. Been centre of controversy after controversy, hated by staff and yet still here. CH hasn't had any of this. As well as Habbo staff visiting here daily. It's just the place to be.

Nixt
14-05-2010, 12:34 PM
I've removed the bottom two as I agree, such a considerable block of text upon joining is quite off putting. Normally, for non-registered users, only the registration notice should be there. Obviously the maintenance notice is necessary at the moment.

Tintinnabulate
14-05-2010, 12:52 PM
Looks much nicer now.

danzooo
14-05-2010, 01:13 PM
Bottom two could do with not being there, I agree with that.

However, the model person in question obviously doesn't give forums a very good chance, whats the point in looking at just what you see as soon as you open the page? Plus there's big grey X's at the side to close them, and they never appear again, so what's the big deal?

Nixt
14-05-2010, 01:17 PM

However, the model person in question obviously doesn't give forums a very good chance, whats the point in looking at just what you see as soon as you open the page? Plus there's big grey X's at the side to close them, and they never appear again, so what's the big deal?

What you have to appreciate is that new members to any website do take things on face value. That's just how things work - if there is a bunch of notices it looks most unattractive and this, inevitably, puts people off! Indeed newer members are sometimes not very familiar with forums and might not realise they are able to dismiss the notices, however obvious it might seem to you or I.

Tintinnabulate
14-05-2010, 01:20 PM

I personally hate big blocks of texts at the top. When I first joined this forum, I was not sure what the hell a forum was. It took me a short while to get used to it so not everyone will know it.

By the way, is there a reason why the x's dont appear on Chrome?

Nixt
14-05-2010, 01:23 PM
I personally hate big blocks of texts at the top. When I first joined this forum, I was not sure what the hell a forum was. It took me a short while to get used to it so not everyone will know it.

By the way, is there why the x's dont appear on Chrome?

They do for me, but not if you're not logged in.

Tintinnabulate
14-05-2010, 01:24 PM
They do for me, but not if you're not logged in.

Should allow the Guests to close them so if they just browse, they can close it and make it look nicer.

Plus there's big grey X's at the side to close them, and they never appear again, so what's the big deal?

Read above.

Nixt
14-05-2010, 01:26 PM
I'll see if that can be done because I don't see an obvious option for it.

Hecktix
14-05-2010, 02:47 PM
I agree with this and will speak with those who make public notices to ensure that they are only visible to members.

The IE notice can now go too actually. I'll alter the current ones to show only to members.

Sorry for the double post for some reason the edit button won't load, I'll merge when i've posted.

This is what i've done, I've made it so the only notice that's visible to guests is the welcome notice, if you have a look now there may be an extra orange bar, this happens for some reason when a notice is deleted but it vanishes pretty soon.

It now looks a lot better and thanks for the suggestions.

Tintinnabulate
14-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Just had another look, looks much much better now.

Btw due to the merge, new members might start coming before it, so its better to edit this bit on the welcome notice:

Once registered you will also be able to take part in many competitions which are run by Habbox staff where you can win rares on Habbo UK, take part in many discussions and activities such as trading your furni on Habbo!

to

Once registered you will also be able to take part in many competitions which are run by Habbox staff where you can win rares on Habbo, take part in many discussions and activities such as trading your furni on Habbo!

immense
14-05-2010, 03:17 PM
yeah, looks much better. now we just need a good skin (a)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!