PDA

View Full Version : Console Wars - The Ultimate Showdown in a FAIR comparison battle

Firehorse
15-05-2010, 12:03 PM
I'm sure many of you have already watched some of these, and i've also been following the series.
So far 11 rounds have been made covering pretty much all areas of the consoles into great depth and so far its a tied score between the two, so the winner will be decided by round 12 which should be published next month or so.

Here I have put together the series collection for you to watch easily.

Please watch them all before making judgements. No fanboy comments please, constructive criticism only.

Round 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fARdxkovMhQ

Round 2 & 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_gGAHYBKT4

Round 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmHY_VnuDdE

Round 5

http://vimeo.com/7710415?hd=1

Round 6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lKSt5Motxw

Round 7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyq5yu3_dGQ

Round 8

http://vimeo.com/9143155?hd=1

Round 9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pwJ4xv_K5s

Round 10 Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-ezdt8dj4Q

Round 10 Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5l4JNYnLgI

Round 11

http://vimeo.com/11744688?hd=1

samsaBEAR
15-05-2010, 12:55 PM
I'll watch the rest of them at some point, but I've got to agree with him about the controllers. I owned a PS2 before a 360, and I've played PS3 quite a bit, and I've always found that the 360 controller just feels more comfortable when playing games.

dbgtz
15-05-2010, 02:56 PM
yeah I've seen all of these and it is probably the fairest one.

Smits
15-05-2010, 03:01 PM
I'll watch the rest of them at some point, but I've got to agree with him about the controllers. I owned a PS2 before a 360, and I've played PS3 quite a bit, and I've always found that the 360 controller just feels more comfortable when playing games.

Yeah i agree, i used to like the ps controller but now when i use it i feel like theres nothing there, it's not heavy enough

Fez
15-05-2010, 06:20 PM
OH FOR GOD'S SAKE!

IT'S BEEN YEARS, NEARLY A WHOLE DECADE OF "WHICH CONSOLE IS BETTER."

STOP COMPARING, STOP ARGUING. STOP IT WITH THE "MY CONSOLE IS BETTER THAN YOURS", IT IS POINTLESS. UTTERLY POINTLESS. THERE IS NOTHING, NO REWARD. NO GIANT POT OF GOLD AT THE TOP OF THE MOUNTAIN OTHER THAN "OOOOH LOOK, I HAVE THE BETTER CONSOLE." UNTIL I TURN AROUND AND SAY "NO, I DO."

SHUT THE BLOODY HELL UP.

ALLL OF YOU.

IF I GET ANOTHER ONE OF THESE HERE FREDZ IN MY BEDZ, I'LL RAGE...

MOAR.

Firehorse
15-05-2010, 06:30 PM
OH FOR GOD'S SAKE!

STOP COMPARING, STOP ARGUING. STOP IT WITH THE "MY CONSOLE IS BETTER THAN YOURS", IT IS POINTLESS. UTTERLY POINTLESS. THERE IS NOTHING, NO REWARD. NO GIANT POT OF GOLD AT THE TOP OF THE MOUNTAIN OTHER THAN "OOOOH LOOK, I HAVE THE BETTER CONSOLE." UNTIL I TURN AROUND AND SAY "NO, I DO."

SHUT THE BLOODY HELL UP.

ALLL OF YOU.

MOAR.

Please get out of this thread. This is a constructive thread to showcase a fair comparison series by a highly respected journalist, not a fanboy debate. Just by seeing the words console and compare together you jumped at the chance to troll this thread with caps lock without even reading fully what this was about.

I'm judging you haven't even watched the videos so you are making a biased point against this thread. The journalist is comparing the two on a level playing field and has done a mammoth amount of research for each episode.

So go back under your bridge and stay there.

Fez
15-05-2010, 06:37 PM
Please get out of this thread. This is a constructive thread to showcase a fair comparison series by a highly respected journalist, not a fanboy debate. Just by seeing the words console and compare together you jumped at the chance to troll this thread with caps lock without even reading fully what this was about.

I'm judging you haven't even watched the videos so you are making a biased point against this thread. The journalist is comparing the two on a level playing field and has done a mammoth amount of research for each episode.

So go back under your bridge and stay there.

The troll bill again, lovely.

I appreciate every comment, every argument except "which console is better" or any comparison because it's so utterly pointless.

I've seen these all before. Very well done in execution but a waste of talent.

[Chris]
15-05-2010, 07:01 PM
Round 10 (1 And 2) - Theres no argument there. PS3 HAS NO GAMES.

All this is going on, While the Wii is like. SUP, We are clearly doing the best.

Fez
15-05-2010, 07:23 PM
;6462809']Round 10 (1 And 2) - Theres no argument there. PS3 HAS NO GAMES.

All this is going on, While the Wii is like. SUP, We are clearly doing the best.

Leave the Wii alone, it's done nothing wrong. It's improved our image, let casuals be casuals.

[Chris]
15-05-2010, 07:27 PM
I wasnt offending the WII In any way at all.

QUIT TROLLING AND SPAMMING APEEL.

ItsDave
15-05-2010, 07:33 PM
OH FOR GOD'S SAKE!

SHUT THE BLOODY HELL UP.

ALLL OF YOU.

MOAR.

Tell that to the guy I had an arguement with on facebook lol.

Fez
15-05-2010, 07:37 PM
Tell that to the guy I had an arguement with on facebook lol.

If anyone started arguing with "PS3 is better than 360." I'd probably just tell them there's no point and let bygons be bygons.

Personal preference really. I don't have any. I love everything.

Except videogames.

Videogames suck.

[Chris]
15-05-2010, 07:38 PM
GGGAAAAAABBBBBEEEEEE

Too many fanboys, Go away.

Fez
15-05-2010, 07:38 PM
;6462924']GGGAAAAAABBBBBEEEEEE

Too many fanboys, Go away.

Not fanboys, just ill informed.

[Chris]
15-05-2010, 07:39 PM
Fanboys.

As not to spam.

I realise that comparisons happen all the time. BUT. Consoles depend on preference..

For example - Nearly ALL of my friends play the Xbox - Therefore i play it
PS3 has no EXCLUSIVES IM INTERESTED IN, So i have a 360

Fez
15-05-2010, 07:43 PM
;6462926']
PS3 has no GAMES

Fix'd.

(I joke)

Chris
15-05-2010, 08:20 PM
I havent got time to watch them all but which one has been the best in the vids?

Neil
15-05-2010, 08:21 PM
I think the comparisons are pretty good as it's completely fair and comes from someone that has clear knowledge on it better than most people, I wonder how the 12th video will turn out, with how tied it is right now though it's not even a "which console is better" thing now, more of a "what are the pros and cons of each" sort of thing, both are obviously evenly balanced, personally I prefer the xbox for most of the reasons he states, the controller is better and the multi-platform games are generally better, but of course I have all 3 so I can play whatever the heck I want.

Oleh
16-05-2010, 01:51 AM
i cannot name 1 day this year where my ps3 has been turned on for anything other than blu-ray (once)

Black_Apalachi
16-05-2010, 02:48 AM
I'm not watching them now, will do tomorrow - but if you say they are pretty much neck and neck in terms of points, then that surely that means the 360 wins given that the PS3 is like three times the price.

If anything, I used to be a PS fanboy so don't start.

Stitch
16-05-2010, 11:41 AM
I read the comments for the last video and a lot of people are saying it was biased to make the Xbox 360 win so the last round was exciting. I agree with some of the comments such as how he didn't mention Natal was basically an improved EyeToy but he mentioned Move was 'Wii HD'.

I agree with the most of the other rounds though.

Firehorse
16-05-2010, 12:39 PM
i cannot name 1 day this year where my ps3 has been turned on for anything other than blu-ray (once)

You played Heavy Rain remember.

I'm not watching them now, will do tomorrow - but if you say they are pretty much neck and neck in terms of points, then that surely that means the 360 wins given that the PS3 is like three times the price.

If anything, I used to be a PS fanboy so don't start.

He makes a clear point that the price is pretty much the same, the price hasn't been three times that of the xbox 360 since atleast 2007. Also imo PS3 would win in value since if you wanted wifi then thats another £50 for xbox, and its missing other things such as bluetooth aswell. After you've payed for a year or more xbox live subscription then you do end up paying more than what you would have for a ps3.

(In America both consoles are $299, in the UK PS3 is £250 and xbox elite approximately £210)

Niall!
16-05-2010, 12:45 PM
Jesus Christ, this god dam thread.

First of all, Apeel and [Chris.], go back to where you came from, no one here wants to discuss no games, casuals or GAAAAABE.

Second of all, this journalist is an idiot, the PC is obviously the superior platform.

Firehorse
16-05-2010, 12:49 PM

First of all, Apeel and [Chris.], go back to where you came from, no one here wants to discuss no games, casuals or GAAAAABE.

Second of all, this journalist is an idiot, the PC is obviously the superior platform.

Even if it is, they're comparing consoles because its a cheaper option than PC gaming and over the past year PC gaming has lost a lot of its appeal even to hardcore gamers.

Niall!
16-05-2010, 12:51 PM
Even if it is, they're comparing consoles because its a cheaper option than PC gaming and over the past year PC gaming has lost a lot of its appeal even to hardcore gamers.

False, PC gaming is the final refuge of "hardcore" gamers. And it's cheaper in the long run. How much do you pay for your games? £40? I pay £0.

Fez
16-05-2010, 12:57 PM
False, PC gaming is the final refuge of "hardcore" gamers. And it's cheaper in the long run. How much do you pay for your games? £40? I pay £0.

I think this is an argument between consoles, which is stupid anyway.

PC Gaming is better in the long term, I agree.

Firehorse
16-05-2010, 01:14 PM

Yeh well I doubt journalists want to encourage piracy. I'm a PC gamer but tbh, I use my console more recently simply because I have friends on there, also I am saving for a new gaming rig but it will take me a long time to reach my £1500 budget. A console is something a PC gamer can fall back on when they have less cash, and the recession has had an effect on amounts of PC gamers and console gamers.

You only need to do a couple of google searches to find the industry value for PC game sales has more than halfed within only 10 years http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/PC and that console gaming popularity has increased hugely.

samsaBEAR
16-05-2010, 01:25 PM

He makes a clear point that the price is pretty much the same, the price hasn't been three times that of the xbox 360 since atleast 2007. Also imo PS3 would win in value since if you wanted wifi then thats another £50 for xbox, and its missing other things such as bluetooth aswell. After you've payed for a year or more xbox live subscription then you do end up paying more than what you would have for a ps3.

(In America both consoles are $299, in the UK PS3 is £250 and xbox elite approximately £210)
The thing is, like he said, Live just works. I've read so many stories on gaming news sites where a new big game comes out and the servers go down, or there are bugs with DLC and what not, that's the price you pay for not paying for the internet. Paying for Live looks like a weakness for the 360, but in reality it's an advantage, I'm paying £40 for a service that has never gone wrong for me.
But I agree with you on the WiFi thing, £50 for the USB dongle thing is stupid, especially as you also can't use a third party one.

Ardemax
16-05-2010, 04:09 PM
console wars were so 2007

[Chris]
17-05-2010, 12:40 AM

Ey, i would have put that. But considering its a CONSOLE discussion, i decided NOT to start.

To be honest, theres NO POINT in comparisons when PC gaming is blatently superior.

Black_Apalachi
18-05-2010, 01:05 PM

Fair point.

I've not played on our 360 for a couple of months now as I have my PS3 all set up properly in my room now but I still have to stand by what I've always said about XBL being better than the PSN. I bought MW2 on PS3 just to play online with some of my mates but I mss playing it on the 360 so ******* much - the two main reasons are XBL and the 360 pad.

kk.
22-05-2010, 02:12 PM
I find the xbox d-pad really awkward. Like, it's hard to press right because they're not separated, they're all joined in the middle. That's the only bad thing about the xbox controller :(

samsaBEAR
22-05-2010, 03:35 PM
Yeah, I found that on Gears of War when I tried to switch weapons and ended up getting out a smoke grenade

Firehorse
01-07-2010, 07:52 PM
The final result is in:

http://vimeo.com/12990636

The PS3 won.

dbgtz
01-07-2010, 08:05 PM
the best console won imo, but he does state what everyone should think (you'll understand what I mean if you watch it).

samsaBEAR
01-07-2010, 08:21 PM
Oh my actual god I lol'd so hard at the clip of the Sony E3 expo at the end haha

Fez
01-07-2010, 09:35 PM
Sigh.

Let's stop talking about which console is better. As I said, consumers don't need to be 1UPing each other about hardware, rather we should all be playing games and talking about them.

Choose whatever you want, every single one of you, it doesn't matter what you game. It just matters that you game.

kk.
01-07-2010, 09:46 PM
Sigh.

Let's stop talking about which console is better. As I said, consumers don't need to be 1UPing each other about hardware, rather we should all be playing games and talking about them.

Choose whatever you want, every single one of you, it doesn't matter what you game. It just matters that you game.

this thread is not about console wars. Well it is, but its not about us comparing them..

samsaBEAR
01-07-2010, 11:54 PM
Sigh.

Totally agreed, but with anything that has a competitor, they'll always be fanboys arguing for either side.

dbgtz
02-07-2010, 06:25 AM
Sigh.

thats what he says at the end, but it would be the pisstake if it tied so that's why one won.

Hellomoto
04-07-2010, 06:43 PM
Although I dont neccessarily agree with it I think this is the fairest comparison so far.

stephbob
09-07-2010, 08:36 PM
Although I dont neccessarily agree with it I think this is the fairest comparison so far.

Agreed. You can never be truly impartial but this is the best so far.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!