Plus £80 for Windows 7

Is this working?

MattFr
17-05-2010, 06:48 PM
Try and get DDR3.

AgnesIO
17-05-2010, 07:13 PM
Very plain list.

You need to say what make, model etc things are.

The Professor
17-05-2010, 10:07 PM
Yeah give us links to the product pages :) You also don't appear to have a motherboard!

GommeInc
17-05-2010, 11:24 PM
You could just buy Windows 7 as an Upgrade and install it once and then install it again as it thinks you're upgrading Windows 7 to Windows 7. It's how I've been doing it. Amazon.co.uk or Play.com sell it for about £65

AgnesIO
18-05-2010, 07:07 AM
Yeah give us links to the product pages :) You also don't appear to have a motherboard!

:D just realised that too :L

|To the OP, a motherboard is essential, incase you don't know, that is where all the parts plug in to :) Tof it to be the human skeleton, with the cpu being a brain and the ram muscles.

i-boroboy
18-05-2010, 03:52 PM
Hey, yeh this is from a computer shop. I cant exactly remember the motherboard make but I think it was ASROCK

Luke
18-05-2010, 04:27 PM
You may want to consider buying online rather than at the 'computer shop'. Likely to be cheaper and with more reliable/well known brands.

The Professor
18-05-2010, 04:41 PM
You may want to consider buying online rather than at the 'computer shop'. Likely to be cheaper and with more reliable/well known brands.

I agree, I know someone who works in a small computer shop and they're given instructions to sell the most expensive stuff they can get away with even if the customer clearly doesn't need it.

Agnostic Bear
18-05-2010, 07:18 PM
ASROCK

Avoid like the plague.

i-boroboy
18-05-2010, 08:04 PM
I agree, I know someone who works in a small computer shop and they're given instructions to sell the most expensive stuff they can get away with even if the customer clearly doesn't need it.

Sorry but that aint true. I asked him for something extra and he said no no, you dont need that at all. Ive bought ram for my laptop there and he didnt rip me off.

Luke
18-05-2010, 08:40 PM
Get a proper list of components etc and price - and we'll tell you if he's ripping you off or not :P

Jahova
18-05-2010, 09:16 PM
Need a more detailed list as others have said. I can then assist when I have this information.

The Professor
19-05-2010, 05:14 PM
Sorry but that aint true. I asked him for something extra and he said no no, you dont need that at all. Ive bought ram for my laptop there and he didnt rip me off.

No, I can tell you for certain what I said is true. Unless you know him and have talked to him about that, it is most certainly the case.

But yeah, apart from that, you may still have been ripped off. Its very easy to appear to be helpful to the customer and say no if they ask for extra things while still ripping you off. No offence to you but you don't seem like the most tech-savvy person so for all you know he could have sold you a far more expensive stick of RAM than you needed and still appear to have cut you a good deal.

Of course, he may be a straight up honest guy too, but considering the shop needs to make the most money it can to stay open (independant computer shops don't generally turn over multi-million pound profits) I'd say you're probably being oversold. You're far better off posting on the internet (here for example!) and telling them what your budget is and what you want to do with the PC, you'll generally get a list of reasonably priced parts that will suit your needs well. People on the internet have no reason to rip you off :)

i-boroboy
19-05-2010, 08:31 PM
No, I can tell you for certain what I said is true. Unless you know him and have talked to him about that, it is most certainly the case.

But yeah, apart from that, you may still have been ripped off. Its very easy to appear to be helpful to the customer and say no if they ask for extra things while still ripping you off. No offence to you but you don't seem like the most tech-savvy person so for all you know he could have sold you a far more expensive stick of RAM than you needed and still appear to have cut you a good deal.

Of course, he may be a straight up honest guy too, but considering the shop needs to make the most money it can to stay open (independant computer shops don't generally turn over multi-million pound profits) I'd say you're probably being oversold. You're far better off posting on the internet (here for example!) and telling them what your budget is and what you want to do with the PC, you'll generally get a list of reasonably priced parts that will suit your needs well. People on the internet have no reason to rip you off :)

I see where your coming from. However, so do people in chain shops such as PC World. Have you noticed they always ask how much you want to spend, that is because they want to make sure you leave with them having all the money possible.

Also, I dont know how to build my own computer. Im only 13, how would I order parts of the internet. :P

Luke
19-05-2010, 08:40 PM
That's why non of us shop at PC World. :L
Use ebuyer.com (recomended), add items to basket, and if you haven't got a paypal/debit card, get one of your parents to order it.

If you give a budget, what you want computer for etc, as people have said; some of us will make a list up for you

AgnesIO
19-05-2010, 08:43 PM
I see where your coming from. However, so do people in chain shops such as PC World. Have you noticed they always ask how much you want to spend, that is because they want to make sure you leave with them having all the money possible.

Also, I dont know how to build my own computer. Im only 13, how would I order parts of the internet. :P

ebuyer.com

The manuals do it for you

Cheryl
19-05-2010, 08:47 PM

precisely the same way you would buy a £5-600 computer in a store.
And yes being a 13 year old should not put you off :)

The Professor
19-05-2010, 10:31 PM
precisely the same way you would buy a £5-600 computer in a store.
And yes being a 13 year old should not put you off :)

QFT, don't worry about choosing the parts let us do that for you if you're not comfortable with it. its not like we have anything better to do with our time :P Age really isn't an obstacle when it comes to tech, you've grown up with tech and the internet around you, you probably already have more know-how than most adults around you! Google "how to build a computer" and check some tutorials, open your computer and see if you can identify all the parts and familiarise yourself with what goes into a PC and how they're put together. Once you know that it's like lego: you just put the right bits in the holes and kablam you have a computer :)

i-boroboy
20-05-2010, 02:48 PM
Ok well I have a £650 to £700 budget

Luke
20-05-2010, 03:08 PM
What do you want it for? If it's gaming, what type of games :P

peteyt
21-05-2010, 12:53 PM
If your going to buy a computer from a shop/store buy it from a large one.

From where I'm from is a local Cyber Cafe, didn't really know it was around. But I knew a friend and a cousin who had used it before a few times and they built computers to. I really liked the sound of it. I know often computers bought in large stores like PC World often have limits to them, while as custom built PC's can be built right to your specification.

It seemed okay at first, but the first few cases that arrived where damaged and so had to wait. However problems emerged. As I run my own online station I needed to use this computer for broadcasting, and a problem happened when using my microphone. At first it turned out to be a dodgey port and they replaced the case again, third time lucky eh? Well not really, the problem still happened every so often.

They tried telling me anything they could think of. Told me it was my speakers, tried with headphones same happened. Said it was my microphone, but it even did it with the headset they leant me. The buisness was owened by two people. One of them said that he didn't think anything was wrong, and if he found it to be the case would make me pay for all the work they had done. I got annoyed and said that there was something wrong, and would go to the citizens advise buro if they couldn't sort it. I kept it cool, but he then said you do that and then threatened to throw me down the stairs if I did come back.

The funny thing is they eventually found out it was the motherboard, like one of the main things. One of my friends went back there once and the guy said something like I would have sorted it in the end, I apparently just went on too much. It took them months to sort it, which shows if I hadn't kept at it they would have done nothing.

All I'm saying is you have more chance of a refund, fix or replacement if you go to a large well known chain store than a small retailer. One of the problems with building your own if you don't know much is if something does go wrong you can't really get it fixed so easily.

The Professor
21-05-2010, 05:00 PM
If your going to buy a computer from a shop/store buy it from a large one.

From where I'm from is a local Cyber Cafe, didn't really know it was around. But I knew a friend and a cousin who had used it before a few times and they built computers to. I really liked the sound of it. I know often computers bought in large stores like PC World often have limits to them, while as custom built PC's can be built right to your specification.

It seemed okay at first, but the first few cases that arrived where damaged and so had to wait. However problems emerged. As I run my own online station I needed to use this computer for broadcasting, and a problem happened when using my microphone. At first it turned out to be a dodgey port and they replaced the case again, third time lucky eh? Well not really, the problem still happened every so often.

They tried telling me anything they could think of. Told me it was my speakers, tried with headphones same happened. Said it was my microphone, but it even did it with the headset they leant me. The buisness was owened by two people. One of them said that he didn't think anything was wrong, and if he found it to be the case would make me pay for all the work they had done. I got annoyed and said that there was something wrong, and would go to the citizens advise buro if they couldn't sort it. I kept it cool, but he then said you do that and then threatened to throw me down the stairs if I did come back.

The funny thing is they eventually found out it was the motherboard, like one of the main things. One of my friends went back there once and the guy said something like I would have sorted it in the end, I apparently just went on too much. It took them months to sort it, which shows if I hadn't kept at it they would have done nothing.

All I'm saying is you have more chance of a refund, fix or replacement if you go to a large well known chain store than a small retailer. One of the problems with building your own if you don't know much is if something does go wrong you can't really get it fixed so easily.

Which is what forums are for :) You have to start somewhere!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!