PDA

View Full Version : Football Prediction Addon [Poll] Would you use it?

Tintinnabulate
19-05-2010, 12:38 AM
Myself and General Management discussed it for around twenty minutes and considered several options however we simply could not justify such a big change for the forum for around 20 users.

I want to see how many people would actually use it. If its a high number, then maybe they will realise there's nothing wrong with it and will be used by lots of people.

Its not a "big change", its just an addon which takes 5 minute to install and even less to uninstall. I don't see the harm in a test trial for the world cup and neither do most members except some members of management. It doesn't affect the rest of the forum in anyway, just a side addon.

Its the same as the arcade, only the arcade is useless as not many people care about it. Most of the past forum management have tried to make it popular and have realised its useless.

This is just a poll to see who would use it and who wouldnt.

If you are confused as to what I am on about, read: http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=644267

W00TZEH
19-05-2010, 12:48 AM
It's just laziness on their part, the world cup will have the whole country talking about football, which would spread onto the forum. This is an easy way to take advantage of this by running a little competition predicting the scores.

Tintinnabulate
19-05-2010, 12:50 AM
It's just laziness on their part, the world cup will have the whole country talking about football, which would spread onto the forum. This is an easy way to take advantage of this by running a little competition predicting the scores.

*whole world talking

meaning the users from outside the UK who join after the merge might use it as its the world cup.

You can see the person who gets the highest point for each league too and overall, so its very good.

Like Jake said, other fansites sports section sucks. Ours is the best one and we need to try our best to keep it and use the advantage to get more members.

Stephen
19-05-2010, 01:03 AM
Add it you lazy gits

ps. dont infract me for me saying that cos i said that to no one in general kthx

immense
19-05-2010, 01:12 AM
My opinion isn't neutral. I love sports and football. Anyway, I think this will attract people to sports forum. Management can easily make a competition out of it. For the world cup... and the merge on Habbo coming so soon it makes so much sense to add it for the world cup. USA and England are playing each other. I don't think the sports forum will be worse off without it but I do think it'll benefit the sports forum.

FlyingJesus
19-05-2010, 02:01 AM
You're on about being lazy when you could just make threads for it instead of having a program do it. If you guys are really passionate about having it all recorded then I'm sure it wouldn't be a huge task for you to sort it out amongst yourselves

Nixt
19-05-2010, 06:05 AM
This isn't laziness on our part guys. I'll be honest it doesn't require any effort on my part other than in the discussions to implement it, because James deals with the technical aspect. When making the decision to install a plugin / addon we must consider how far it will benefit the majority of the forum and without a doubt this focuses on the minority. Using the arcade to counter this argument is flawed because we are lifting restrictions on the arcade and it does have the potential to benefit every single member of the forum whereas this is rather limited.

Also you need to look at the fact that up until recently the adding of any such plugin would have been outright refused simply because it's something we never traditionally did. At least we are now open to suggestions and will genuinely consider the suggestions you make. What you must understand though is that while we are more willing to install addons it is not anyone's desire to make Habbox some pimped up, addon crazy forum and installation of an addon that is so restricted in terms of it's membership usage (outside of the world cup) will lead the way to other members suggesting addons that don't benefit the forum on a wider basis and expecting their installation.

Tintinnabulate
19-05-2010, 06:31 AM
This isn't laziness on our part guys. I'll be honest it doesn't require any effort on my part other than in the discussions to implement it, because James deals with the technical aspect. When making the decision to install a plugin / addon we must consider how far it will benefit the majority of the forum and without a doubt this focuses on the minority. Using the arcade to counter this argument is flawed because we are lifting restrictions on the arcade and it does have the potential to benefit every single member of the forum whereas this is rather limited.

Also you need to look at the fact that up until recently the adding of any such plugin would have been outright refused simply because it's something we never traditionally did. At least we are now open to suggestions and will genuinely consider the suggestions you make. What you must understand though is that while we are more willing to install addons it is not anyone's desire to make Habbox some pimped up, addon crazy forum and installation of an addon that is so restricted in terms of it's membership usage (outside of the world cup) will lead the way to other members suggesting addons that don't benefit the forum on a wider basis and expecting their installation.

That is why I only suggested 3 addons and not 30 :) Like I said. arcade restrictions have been lifted in the past - didnt work. Scores wiped out - didnt work. Yes arcade hast he potential to benefit everyone but lets be honest here, not many people care about flash games anymore here.

What is the harm in trying it for the WC? That way you have a very very very good excuse not to use it if its not popular. If it is, then it will prove you wrong and it might be good :).

xxMATTGxx
19-05-2010, 09:32 AM
That is why I only suggested 3 addons and not 30 :) Like I said. arcade restrictions have been lifted in the past - didnt work. Scores wiped out - didnt work. Yes arcade hast he potential to benefit everyone but lets be honest here, not many people care about flash games anymore here.

What is the harm in trying it for the WC? That way you have a very very very good excuse not to use it if its not popular. If it is, then it will prove you wrong and it might be good :).

Because Oli has already got plans for the World Cup and having this installed for that may alter his plans, which he might not like to see.

Tintinnabulate
19-05-2010, 09:38 AM
Because Oli has already got plans for the World Cup and having this installed for that may alter his plans, which he might like to see.

Tbh like Jake said, this would have been a great way to build on the sports community here and to retain members and attract new ones - which HabboxForum has been struggling with lately. Its a shame only General Management seem to dislike the idea when the majority of the users who posted in the previous thread were in favour of it.

Its requires staff to do nothing at all but to install it and leave it. Members can use it and it staff have to do nothing at all - expect maybe hand out a prize if they want at the end of a month/season or whatever, which takes a few minutes to do.

Basically members are happy as they have something new and unique which no other habbo forum offers, staff have to do nothing, its a win win situation. Its just a huge shame you guys don't realise it. Your loss.

Nixt
19-05-2010, 10:55 AM

You only suggested three addons, yes. Nevertheless if we were to install an addon that does not benefit the overall majority over a long period time, an addon that I think will do little to attract and retain new users as you suggest, then we are opening the floodgates. We are willing to install addons that are suggested, but as I say I am not willing to turn HxF into a "pimped up" modification based community. If we install this, then when people install addons that I may disagree with again (and indeed, you might end up disagreeing too) they'll instantly look to this thread and say "well you did it for that addon". Whilst I recognise the potential benefits I think long term and when you look at it from an overall point of view it's a feature that really does benefit that many people.

Smits
19-05-2010, 11:01 AM

Actually the counter argument you proposed is flawed.. You're saying that the arcade has potential to benefit every user? Well it has no better potential than this add on. Lets be honest, how many people want to use the arcade on here? How many people do use it? How many people even like playing flash games?

You say that because not everyone likes football so it wont benefit everyone, well not everyone likes arcade games... The arcade can be used by everyone, and so can this, so the potential is quite similar in reality. In fact if anything i'd say this has more potential because it's untested, unlike the arcade and there is so many things you can do with it.

I dont know i just think this is a really good idea...

xxMATTGxx
19-05-2010, 11:10 AM
Tbh like Jake said, this would have been a great way to build on the sports community here and to retain members and attract new ones - which HabboxForum has been struggling with lately. Its a shame only General Management seem to dislike the idea when the majority of the users who posted in the previous thread were in favour of it.

Its requires staff to do nothing at all but to install it and leave it. Members can use it and it staff have to do nothing at all - expect maybe hand out a prize if they want at the end of a month/season or whatever, which takes a few minutes to do.

Basically members are happy as they have something new and unique which no other habbo forum offers, staff have to do nothing, its a win win situation. Its just a huge shame you guys don't realise it. Your loss.

I'll be honest, I only ever thought this addon would be good for the worldcup. We really don't want to start installing every single addon members suggest, yes we will install a few but not all that are suggested and this is one of them.

FlyingJesus
19-05-2010, 11:12 AM
Its a shame only General Management seem to dislike the idea when the majority of the users who posted in the previous thread were in favour of it.

Yeah never mind the fact that the majority of people in that thread were from the sports section.

As I've said it's easy enough to just make a thread for predictions and if you really care about having a record of users' results then that wouldn't be difficult for an active member to do - management have already said no to this idea and given reasons, if you want to show how popular it could be then maybe doing as I'm suggesting (for the World Cup at least) would show them that. It's hardly like you're not online enough to sort it out and if it's done via posting then it's easier for everyone to get involved and makes the forum itself more active.

Tintinnabulate
19-05-2010, 11:12 AM
I'll be honest, I only ever thought this addon would be good for the worldcup. We really don't want to start installing every single addon members suggest, yes we will install a few but not all that are suggested and this is one of them.

Believe me, I went through every thread on vB.og and these are the only 3 which I thought would benefit the forum. The rest were crap. Besides, how often do you get people asking you to install modifications? Very rarely.

xxMATTGxx
19-05-2010, 11:18 AM
Believe me, I went through every thread on vB.og and these are the only 3 which I thought would benefit the forum. The rest were crap. Besides, how often do you get people asking you to install modifications? Very rarely.

Only because before now none of them would of been installed and people knew that? :P

Tintinnabulate
19-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Yeah never mind the fact that the majority of people in that thread were from the sports section.

As I've said it's easy enough to just make a thread for predictions and if you really care about having a record of users' results then that wouldn't be difficult for an active member to do - management have already said no to this idea and given reasons, if you want to show how popular it could be then maybe doing as I'm suggesting (for the World Cup at least) would show them that. It's hardly like you're not online enough to sort it out and if it's done via posting then it's easier for everyone to get involved and makes the forum itself more active.

Making a thread similar to the addon is nowhere near as easy as it sounds.

Someone will have to make a thread listing every game out and get members to post their predictions all at once (as separately is more of a hassle). People like to change their predictions throughout the tournament based on how the team actually perform so if someone changes it, it would be even more of a hassle editing the post etc.

Then someone will have to work out how many points each user will get per game. Say theres 20 users who enter, thats 960 calculations to do just for the group stages.

So yeah, saying "make a thread" sounds easy but its not.

Only because before now none of them would of been installed and people knew that? :P

I can guarantee apart from awards and thanks system, no more than 10 modifications will be suggested in the next 10 months.

W00TZEH
19-05-2010, 11:34 AM
I'll be honest, I only ever thought this addon would be good for the worldcup.
Install it then! Offers prizes for 1st, and 3rd and see what happens, it's free, takes little effort to install and no doubt much easier to run than whatever Oli has planned.

FlyingJesus
19-05-2010, 11:40 AM
Damn I wrote a big reply and then my internet cut out when I pressed submit, timing or what. Basically though this is only likely to be at all useful for WC because otherwise it suggests that all participants have to care about every single game of every single domestic league/cup and the two main European ones, which simply isn't going to be the case. For WC yeah you'll have a lot to get through at first, but there seem to be enough of you that you could get a team together and be responsible for a group or two each until it becomes easier in the later stages.

Tintinnabulate
19-05-2010, 11:45 AM
Damn I wrote a big reply and then my internet cut out when I pressed submit, timing or what. Basically though this is only likely to be at all useful for WC because otherwise it suggests that all participants have to care about every single game of every single domestic league/cup and the two main European ones, which simply isn't going to be the case. For WC yeah you'll have a lot to get through at first, but there seem to be enough of you that you could get a team together and be responsible for a group or two each until it becomes easier in the later stages.

No one on this forum will do 960 calculations. Or even 100 calculations especially during exams. Its the facts.
You can select which leagues to be added and the most popular ones in the country can be added. You don't have to add every single one.

Hecktix
19-05-2010, 12:41 PM
I would prefer to promote posting rather than activity on an add-on and with my world cup plans this is exactly what I plan to do :)

The sports forum is going to get a lot of attention over the next few months due to the World Cup, but this add on is simply not going to happen due to reasons quite rightly highlighted by Garion.

Hecktix
19-05-2010, 01:37 PM
Following the collapse of one of my World Cup plans due to lack of time, this is being re-considered for the world cup only. It will 100% not be staying after the World Cup if we decide to use it.

Tintinnabulate
19-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Following the collapse of one of my World Cup plans due to lack of time, this is being re-considered for the world cup only. It will 100% not be staying after the World Cup if we decide to use it.

Took a lot of persuasion but I finally managed to get him to re-consider just for the WC. Having it for the WC only is better than not having it at all :). So thank you and thread closed.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!