PDA

View Full Version : Discipling children...

immense
19-05-2010, 03:09 PM
Recently, I went to a NSPCC workshop and smacking children inevitably came up. Do you think parents should be able to hit their mischievous children and in what situations is a smack deserved?

lorren
19-05-2010, 03:10 PM
no i hate the fact my dad used to smack me, hes stopped it though
its not sending out a very good message to their children.

Smits
19-05-2010, 03:11 PM
I think in moderation, spanking can be good.

My god supernanny will go mental.

dirrty
19-05-2010, 03:11 PM
yes. a smack is alright when a child gets out of line. obviously not a punch, kick etc. but the odd hit at the back of their legs or w.e when they're misbehaving is acceptable imo.

GommeInc
19-05-2010, 03:16 PM
Smacking a child is fine provided there's also a lesson to go with it or if reasoning with the snotty brat won't work. A slap without any sort of reason behind it, or lack of communcation even, is pointless. You've got to tell the child what they've done wrong at the same time. Either that, or threatening them with no TV usually does the trick :P

Obviously a slap/smack means a tap on the hand, not a slap that makes the skin go red or blister :P

immense
19-05-2010, 03:46 PM
I think it's fine also. It acts as a sort of classical conditioning. For example, a child steals some sweets. You smack them. They know stealing is bad. Problem sorted. I don't see an issue with the skin going red either.

Special
19-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Depends on what context - if it's deserved or not

If it's a harsh attack then certainly not, but if all else fails and it's a small slap on the hand then i don't see the harm if it's going to stop them from ding it again

It didn't hurt people in the past!

Nikki
19-05-2010, 03:49 PM
a few weeks ago, i saw this woman and her daughter was crying so she smacked her? I found it hard to bare, i think theres otherways to deal with naughty children.

RandomManJay
19-05-2010, 03:50 PM
It has to be within limits, otherwise it could be classed as child abuse. I have no issue with lightly smacking them when they've been bad etc. but anything farther than that isn't fair.

Inseriousity.
19-05-2010, 03:51 PM
I think it's fine also. It acts as a sort of classical conditioning. For example, a child steals some sweets. You smack them. They know stealing is bad. Problem sorted. I don't see an issue with the skin going red either.

No, they know not to get caught next time.
My dad smacked me and you don't really learn anything other than to not get caught so instead of getting well behaved, you just get better at not getting caught. Then ofc, you get older anyway so it doesn't really matter.

However, smacking is the quickest method of getting your point across and so that's why it's done. Effective? hmm I think not.

immense
19-05-2010, 04:15 PM
Yeah, which is better still anyway. Makes you clever.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!