PDA

View Full Version : All these Apple leaks...

The Professor
19-05-2010, 05:18 PM
Does anyone actually believe they're leaks? I just read a story on engadget about a 3rd "prototype" found in Vietnam (again). This is the 3rd device in the space of 3 weeks and its getting a bit hard to believe tbh. Anyone else think they could be planted by Apple for PR?

GommeInc
19-05-2010, 05:28 PM
Yes and no. I'm sure it was written somewhere the 4th Gen iPhone being left in a bar led to the person who was holding it being fired and possibly fined. If they are done purposely by Apple, then I'm not sure what they're trying to achieve, seeing as it's the same old rubbish in a new skin (with some "tweaks" thrown in which aren't half as impressive as they should be) :P

The Professor
19-05-2010, 05:37 PM
Yes and no. I'm sure it was written somewhere the 4th Gen iPhone being left in a bar led to the person who was holding it being fired and possibly fined. If they are done purposely by Apple, then I'm not sure what they're trying to achieve, seeing as it's the same old rubbish in a new skin (with some "tweaks" thrown in which aren't half as impressive as they should be) :P

The way the tech blogs are going on about it you wouldn't think it was the same old rubbish! I think their aim is to generate some buzz and they seem to have achieved that quite well. I can't decide whether gizmodo guy being arrested is real or not though, I think the plant might have been intended and the rest kind of got out of hand when money started being thrown around.

xxMATTGxx
19-05-2010, 06:03 PM
The way the tech blogs are going on about it you wouldn't think it was the same old rubbish! I think their aim is to generate some buzz and they seem to have achieved that quite well. I can't decide whether gizmodo guy being arrested is real or not though, I think the plant might have been intended and the rest kind of got out of hand when money started being thrown around.

His house got raided and everything, I'm sure that is true. I don't know what to think of this but Apple say it is gonna ruins their sales LOL! (I think they are just saying that for the sake of it)

The Professor
19-05-2010, 06:07 PM
His house got raided and everything, I'm sure that is true. I don't know what to think of this but Apple say it is gonna ruins their sales LOL! (I think they are just saying that for the sake of it)

Aye, any publicity is good publicity.

marriott0.01
19-05-2010, 06:09 PM
I think it's apple trying to fuel rumours to get people interested. I don't believe one word, I'm too sceptical about the thing, especially for a company with very tight security.

StefanWolves
19-05-2010, 06:34 PM

Wow you're so in-denial :S

Have you seen the new specs?

We know for fact it has -

- 1GHZ processor
- Front Facing camera (not new in phones, i know)
- improved camera of 5-7mpx with flash (not the best camera, no, but its more than good enough)
- 16% bigger battery, making it ONE OF THE BEST SMARTPHONES when it comes to battery usage
- OS 4.0 which is going to change how iPhones are used.
- improved screen
- Mini-Sim (not nothing major, but its the future)

What it COULD have (and what some well informed people are predicting):
- HD capable screen
- HD video recording
- double the ram of the 3GS (which I think would be 512mb)

please tell me how this would be the same iPhone as all the others? it's already guaranteed to be a MASSIVE step forward.

Sunny.
19-05-2010, 06:40 PM
The new iphone 4G has a lot of new upgrades, beginning with the new screen resolution. Mainly being outlined above.

I think its more apple fueling the rumours. Theres been two leaks one in a bar, and the other in Vietnam.
There was also another leak in vietnam regarding the new ipod touch with 2 megapixel camera.
http://www.intomobile.com/2010/05/19/ipod-touch-with-2-megapixel-camera-spotted.html

Barmi
19-05-2010, 07:20 PM

- 1GHZ processor
- improved camera of 5-7mpx with flash (not the best camera, no, but its more than good enough)
- 16% bigger battery, making it ONE OF THE BEST SMARTPHONES when it comes to battery usage
- improved screen

- HD capable screen
- HD video recording

please tell me how this would be the same iPhone as all the others? it's already guaranteed to be a MASSIVE step forward.
Wrong. Phones currently use mini-SIM; the iPhone will be adopting micro-SIM. I'd give you a fiver if it has a 7 megapixel camera (bizarre choice on the number there). Processor is an interesting one, because it's likely to be underclocked.

I don't think the Vietnamese leaks are intentional at all. The iPod touch one has been dug up (IMO) and not of much significance, because similar devices were found earlier in the year (and last year). Let's face it, Apple also aren't going to see any value in having their super-hyped, publicity-fulled MacBook (sarcasm intended) shown one day before lauch. The iPhone story is probably just a huge annoyance after the Gray Powell and Jason Chen incident.

Sure you could say that Gizmodo leak is some carefully orchestrated conspiracy leak, but it is a bit unfeasible. Apple may want to show users why they should not buy a different handset other than an iPhone... but with the massive media attention they should know that all it would do is put people off buying the current iPhone. Besides, the iPad is Apple's golden child at the moment, and I'm pretty sure they'd like to see a successful global launch before they start marketing for their next big product.

Sunny.
19-05-2010, 07:29 PM
Wrong. Phones currently use mini-SIM; the iPhone will be adopting micro-SIM. I'd give you a fiver if it has a 7 megapixel camera (bizarre choice on the number there). Processor is an interesting one, because it's likely to be underclocked.

I don't think the Vietnamese leaks are intentional at all. The iPod touch one has been dug up (IMO) and not of much significance, because similar devices were found earlier in the year (and last year). Let's face it, Apple also aren't going to see any value in having their super-hyped, publicity-fulled MacBook (sarcasm intended) shown one day before lauch. The iPhone story is probably just a huge annoyance after the Gray Powell and Jason Chen incident.

Sure you could say that Gizmodo leak is some carefully orchestrated conspiracy leak, but it is a bit unfeasible. Apple may want to show users why they should not buy a different handset other than an iPhone... but with the massive media attention they should know that all it would do is put people off buying the current iPhone. Besides, the iPad is Apple's golden child at the moment, and I'm pretty sure they'd like to see a successful global launch before they start marketing for their next big product.

Well said +rep

HotelUser
19-05-2010, 07:34 PM
I can honestly see it either way. I'd go into more detail about which one I find more probable but I really don't care (it doesn't really matter) so I don't want to argue about it :P

marriott0.01
19-05-2010, 10:27 PM

Actually they stole iPads thunder a few weeks after releasing it with the announcement of iPhone OS 4.0, so they're not really bothered about the marketing of iPad, they know that they've always wanted to create excitement for the upcoming iPhone Release as it's probably one of their most successful products and they know in their minds iPad will never be as successful. So they're always gonna put iPhone 1st over the iPad as they want people to think, I'm going to buy that. I see your logic about how it might effect their current sales, but they can probably afford that, because seriously if someone's going to buy and iPhone 3GS NOW what is the likelihood of them upgrading to 4G soon? Unlikely. So Apple know it's the build-up period so they can fuel rumours and speculation to try and get people interested in the next iPhone device so they can get their grubby mitts on the cash.

Tbh I doubt the phone is anything like Gizmodo had and they've simply just done this all on purpose and ensured they put people off track thinking Apple haven't done much but when Steve takes to the stage it'll be like 'wow'. So someone can really enjoy a product and be shocked by it, they could just be setting lower expectations to try and spark the original iPhone response that people had with that 'wow factor'.

Blinger$
19-05-2010, 10:35 PM

- 1GHZ processor
- improved screen

- HD capable screen
- HD video recording

Is it xenon flash? or an LED light crap?

Also, a lot of the improvements to the general GUI i saw were already done by jailbreakers.. c'mon apple, be original!

The Professor
19-05-2010, 10:35 PM
Actually they stole iPads thunder a few weeks after releasing it with the announcement of iPhone OS 4.0, so they're not really bothered about the marketing of iPad, they know that they've always wanted to create excitement for the upcoming iPhone Release as it's probably one of their most successful products and they know in their minds iPad will never be as successful. So they're always gonna put iPhone 1st over the iPad as they want people to think, I'm going to buy that. I see your logic about how it might effect their current sales, but they can probably afford that, because seriously if someone's going to buy and iPhone 3GS NOW what is the likelihood of them upgrading to 4G soon? Unlikely. So Apple know it's the build-up period so they can fuel rumours and speculation to try and get people interested in the next iPhone device so they can get their grubby mitts on the cash.

Tbh I doubt the phone is anything like Gizmodo had and they've simply just done this all on purpose and ensured they put people off track thinking Apple haven't done much but when Steve takes to the stage it'll be like 'wow'. So someone can really enjoy a product and be shocked by it, they could just be setting lower expectations to try and spark the original iPhone response that people had with that 'wow factor'.

I don't see why it wouldn't be like the one Gizmodo had, I think the one found in Vietnam is less likely to be real because of the exposed screws. I think its going to be very similar, they've obviously pursuing that design if they have several iterations floating around. Or maybe that's what they want us to think!

marriott0.01
19-05-2010, 10:38 PM

Also, a lot of the improvements to the general GUI i saw were already done by jailbreakers.. c'mon apple, be original!

Well nothing is confirmed or a fact, but speculated is LED.

I don't see why it wouldn't be like the one Gizmodo had, I think the one found in Vietnam is less likely to be real because of the exposed screws. I think its going to be very similar, they've obviously pursuing that design if they have several iterations floating around. Or maybe that's what they want us to think!

I just don't think Apple would be stupid enough to allow an iPhone into the wild, why would Apple even allow the prototype iPhone to leave the building? The simple answer is, they wouldn't. There is no need for it outside their cupertino headquarters as it has a chance of being seen/stolen. Apple probably has security to check no prototypes are taken out of the building because it'd be too risky.

GommeInc
19-05-2010, 10:52 PM
I just don't think Apple would be stupid enough to allow an iPhone into the wild, why would Apple even allow the prototype iPhone to leave the building? The simple answer is, they wouldn't. There is no need for it outside their cupertino headquarters as it has a chance of being seen/stolen. Apple probably has security to check no prototypes are taken out of the building because it'd be too risky.
Indeed, it'd be pointless. Taking any sort of electronic, handheld device outside of the headquarters is unnecessary, a hand-held device doesn't need to see the light of day until the release of the final product. It's not like a car that needs to be road tested, like any Ford concept models that get driven around covered in bin-liner to see if the new suspension works :P

And is it me, or do alot of Smartphones lack decent camera flash? Alot seem tbe just these LED lghs, which may as well not exist :P

- 1GHZ processor
- improved screen

- HD capable screen
- HD video recording

If it hates any other product that isn't made by Apple it may as well not exist until they bother fixing something that all phones have had for years - open Bluetooth. If Apple are too stupid to hide their files in their phones incase people share them, then that's their fault and not the consumer. A phone should be able to connect to the bluetooth of a car without any hassle, yet an iPhone really does have it in for any other product. My XPERIA sends over my phonebook and can make calls, with an iPhone you get quite limited connectivity (though admittedly, I can't remember what you lack, but I believe phonebook is one of them. Something to poke my brother's 3GS about :P). Hopefully 4.0 fixes this, or lowers any restrictions (if it is an OS matter).

The Professor
19-05-2010, 11:00 PM
Aparently its quite common for Apple to give iPhones to engineers to road test it in real world situations. Remember the guy in china who got given one to test out and comitted suicide after he lost it?

xxMATTGxx
19-05-2010, 11:28 PM
If it's not going to look like the new iPhone this summer or it is not an iPhone that Apple have "lost" then I want to know why Apple went to the Police regarding the gizmondo one. Which did result in his house being raided and a ton of electronic equipment taken out I believe. I don't know what else has happened. (If this is true, which it seems to be)

http://gizmodo.com/5524843/police-seize-jason-chens-computers
and
http://gizmodo.com/5525388/the-investigation-into-that-missing-iphone-%5Bupdated%5D

GommeInc
19-05-2010, 11:40 PM
If it's not going to look like the new iPhone this summer or it is not an iPhone that Apple have "lost" then I want to know why Apple went to the Police regarding the gizmondo one. Which did result in his house being raided and a ton of electronic equipment taken out I believe. I don't know what else has happened. (If this is true, which it seems to be)

http://gizmodo.com/5524843/police-seize-jason-chens-computers
and
http://gizmodo.com/5525388/the-investigation-into-that-missing-iphone-%5Bupdated%5D
Annoyingly, nothing can be done about it if it does change. Any company has the right to change the final outcome of their product, and in the US they can raid anyone with sufficient enough evidence. Chen can attempt to counter-claim, but he won't get anywhere. If the product is very different, then Apple will have to do alot of explaining anyway :P

xxMATTGxx
19-05-2010, 11:41 PM
Annoyingly, nothing can be done about it if it does change. Any company has the right to change the final outcome of their product, and in the US they can raid anyone with sufficient enough evidence. Chen can attempt to counter-claim, but he won't get anywhere. If the product is very different, then Apple will have to do alot of explaining anyway :P

Yeah but people are saying but Apple have this tight security etc. They may do but if this isn't their "device", what is the point in Apple getting the Police involved really? It just gives them a bad name when the truth comes out.

GommeInc
19-05-2010, 11:47 PM
Yeah but people are saying but Apple have this tight security etc. They may do but if this isn't their "device", what is the point in Apple getting the Police involved really? It just gives them a bad name when the truth comes out.
Indeed, saying they have "tight security" is pointless, seeing as Apple obviously lack it seeing as this happened :P Did they not allow the employee out with it? I've not payed too much attention to this, other than it may change the way companies and the media work in the eyes of the law.

Barmi
20-05-2010, 11:22 AM

I take the concession on iPhone OS 4, but that was aimed at developers and was necessary to get developers using the new technologies and APIs before OS 4 actually hits the consumers.

News of the new iPhone has hit virtually every major news source so –– short of a formal advertising campaign –– the pictures have had quite a large impact. You would be naïve to think that they wouldn't be cannibalising current iPhone sales. For the average consumer, who isn't aware of life-cycles, they would buy an iPhone 3GS thinking it's the latest and greatest. But with news of an imminent update? Nada. Apple wouldn't want to discourage spending so far away from the actual release.

LED flash. A xenon flash is good, but for most users the battery trade-off isn't worth it. A xenon flash alone wouldn't be appropriate either, because it doesn't have an 'always on' state for flashlight apps or a video recording light.

The implementation of folders and multitasking (and the new iPod controls) is very nice. It's not like the jailbreak options.

The Gizmodo one had screws. The Vietnam one didn't. As far as I've been able to tell from the two 'non-screws' leaks (one on Twitter and the Vietnam leak), they are both earlier prototypes than the one with screws. The current iPhone has screws there, so I don't see why it's such an issue. Perhaps Apple tried without, but discovered the dock connector wasn't satisfactorily secure without being physically bedded with screws. I guess we won't know until the 7th of June.

Well nothing is confirmed or a fact, but speculated is LED.

Are you showing your ignorance on purpose? We've had teardown shots of the prototype and you're claiming it's only speculation of LED? Xenon flash is a no. The prototypes have had LED flash.

And again, you're making a fool of yourself. Apple field tests its phones in a variety of locations; most notably very busy public areas. The phone sold to Gizmodo was found in a plastic shell to make it look like an iPhone 3G(S) so as not to draw unnecessary attention. There might have been some minor late-stage changes which we haven't seen in a prototype, but what we have seen so far is pretty much (give or take) what we're going to see on 7th of July. They are already in production.

peteyt
21-05-2010, 12:25 PM
My question is - Can we expect the iphone 4gs anytime in the UK soon. Everyone is going on about how it should be out soon, but we don't even use 4gs here, so there wouldn't be any point of it, or have i got it wrong?

Barmi
21-05-2010, 12:49 PM
My question is - Can we expect the iphone 4gs anytime in the UK soon. Everyone is going on about how it should be out soon, but we don't even use 4gs here, so there wouldn't be any point of it, or have i got it wrong?
The next generation iPhone (whatever it may be called) will most likely be announced on the first day of WWDC (7th June). As for release, it'll be some time in June for the US at least (because AT&T employees have been told they can't take any holidays in June). In the UK, I'd expect late June –– if we get treat as fairly as the US –– or some time in July.

As far as I'm aware, there hasn't been any hard confirmation on whether it will use 4G networks or just 3G. It's no biggie either way, because we don't have the technology rolled out across the UK.

peteyt
21-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Exactly. All the stuff points to it being a 4g, according to most people anyways. Everyones going on about how good it will be, yet here we don't even have a 4g network so I don't see how it would work.

I work at Tesco and have been wanting to get an iphone. We have a deal going, but I don't want to buy one if a new one is released not long later.

Barmi
21-05-2010, 01:02 PM
Exactly. All the stuff points to it being a 4g, according to most people anyways. Everyones going on about how good it will be, yet here we don't even have a 4g network so I don't see how it would work.

I work at Tesco and have been wanting to get an iphone. We have a deal going, but I don't want to buy one if a new one is released not long later.
4G technology isn't ready yet in most countries, so I wouldn't be surprised if the new iPhone only uses 3G (like virtually all current releases are). Even if the phone did support 4G, it would still work in the UK on 3G networks. To us it really doesn't matter because our networks are only trialling the technology at the moment... so it's not really a concern for Apple until the generation after this one.

NB: I'm carefully not giving the next generation iPhone a name. Some people call it 4G to mean either the 4th generation (true!) or support of 4G networks (potentially untrue). Others call it the iPhone HD in reference to the new higher resolution display. We won't know the name until WWDC.

And yeah, unless you need an iPhone now, it's pretty foolish not to wait.

Recursion
21-05-2010, 01:35 PM
4G technology isn't ready yet in most countries, so I wouldn't be surprised if the new iPhone only uses 3G (like virtually all current releases are). Even if the phone did support 4G, it would still work in the UK on 3G networks. To us it really doesn't matter because our networks are only trialling the technology at the moment... so it's not really a concern for Apple until the generation after this one.

NB: I'm carefully not giving the next generation iPhone a name. Some people call it 4G to mean either the 4th generation (true!) or support of 4G networks (potentially untrue). Others call it the iPhone HD in reference to the new higher resolution display. We won't know the name until WWDC.

And yeah, unless you need an iPhone now, it's pretty foolish not to wait.

Agree on the 4G tech, IIRC only one or two countries use 4G, and barely any phones support it now, the iPhone won't be 4G compatible IMO

Sunny.
21-05-2010, 01:58 PM
I swear I read somewhere that they dont really want to call it iphone 4G because its speculated not to be a 4G handset and it may confuse some people.
The name iPhone HD is more likely as it is supposed to have HD Recording capabilities.

Then again its all speculation.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!