PDA

View Full Version : Do you Volunteer?

Tintinnabulate
19-05-2010, 10:49 PM
Do you do voluntary work? If yes, why? If no, would you like to and why?

marriott0.01
19-05-2010, 10:49 PM
No because I don't like to help people :( I'm so stuck up lmao

Arron
19-05-2010, 10:51 PM
If I hadn't have found a job by July, I would do volunteer work. It boosts up chances of getting future jobs or something :)

rnix
19-05-2010, 10:53 PM
I donate money well my parents do.
I was meant to help old people for school but i called in sick and went town :)

Tintinnabulate
19-05-2010, 10:58 PM
I love it. I do it as often and whenever I can. Its a great way to meet some new people too and make good friends. I volunteered at a care home for several months last year. I also went to Nottingham for a week to volunteer at Vitalise. That was great fun. Its tiring but very enjoyable. I had to get up at 6:30am for morning briefings, then wake up our assigned guest (who were all disabled and/or very old). Shower them, dress them, feed them and take them out on the day trip if they want to go to that one or stay in with them. Basically everything for them. I made some great friends there. It doesn't sound all that great when you read it, but when you go there, its amazing.
Also volunteered at hospitals.

I remember standing in the middle of Nottingham city center with another friend. My guest for the day couldn't eat on his own etc. My friends guest was blind. We were stood in the middle just trying to feed them and describe the surroundings to them.

rnix
19-05-2010, 11:01 PM
I couldn't do that :L

If like a family member couldn't do anything for themselves id put them in a home... not being harsh but i couldn't do it all and id feel better a professional doing it :]

Rozi
19-05-2010, 11:17 PM
wow saurav sounds good. I always mean to do stuff but really the closest thing to me is a hospice, and I don't really know if they want me there while they're trying to pass in peace. But my guide group meets in the hall there and we try to raise money for the hospice a lot, so I tend to help the little ones do that.

Blinger$
19-05-2010, 11:22 PM
Nope. What for? I have a full time job...

Tintinnabulate
19-05-2010, 11:23 PM
Nope. What for? I have a full time job...

You do realise people with full time jobs still volunteer?

Blinger$
19-05-2010, 11:24 PM
Oh no I just post for the sake of it :rolleyes:

why would I want to volunteer =\

Nixt
19-05-2010, 11:24 PM
Yah. I volunteer for Stonewall on their Youth Volunteering Programme. I go into schools and tell kids it's okay to be gay.

dirrty
19-05-2010, 11:26 PM
no, i don't like doing work unless i get something out of it in the end.

Shar
19-05-2010, 11:37 PM
I volunteered at oxfam at first for my DofE award but then I carried on because it became a regular thing I did with my mate and we like had jokes while helping people irl :)
I also donate to charity every month with my own money :')

Stephen
20-05-2010, 12:00 AM
Well if I'm bored doing nothing else then I wouldn't mind volunteering for something

Yah. I volunteer for Stonewall on their Youth Volunteering Programme. I go into schools and tell kids it's okay to be gay.

Omg I've got visions of you singing "It's ohhhhhhhhh-kay................. to be gayyyyyy"

Caution
20-05-2010, 12:07 AM
No, I've never thought about it but my gran lives in sheltered housing and I sometimes hold the door open for the residents if they're behind me though.

Shar
20-05-2010, 12:11 AM
It's the thought that counts love <3

No, I've never thought about it but my gran lives in sheltered housing and I sometimes hold the door open for the residents if they're behind me though.

Special
20-05-2010, 07:35 PM
no - call me selfish but i'd like to be payed for the work i do

Nikki
20-05-2010, 07:37 PM
i volunteered at a animal shelter last summer but they used be as a slave ;/ so im not going to do it again.

Gemma
21-05-2010, 08:13 AM
I have before with World Vision.

TheEclipse
22-05-2010, 03:25 AM
I really want to. I want to work as a volunteer in the zoo helping with the kids programs. I want to help in our local museum. I'd like to do a lot more things too.

CJW93
22-05-2010, 09:20 PM
No becuase I want moneyz

AgnesIO
22-05-2010, 09:23 PM

I don't know why, but I had to laugh Garion :L I think it's how bluntly you put that :P +Rep tbh

--

Personally I don't because I could be seen as a greedy *******. I always aim to get as much money in the shortest time possible.

JeffDunham-1$
22-05-2010, 09:26 PM
I volunteer for the PD of Walden, NY.

Tintinnabulate
22-05-2010, 09:37 PM
I don't know why, but I had to laugh Garion :L I think it's how bluntly you put that :P +Rep tbh

--

Personally I don't because I could be seen as a greedy *******. I always aim to get as much money in the shortest time possible.

You learn skills while volunteering. All of these help you make money.

Inseriousity.
22-05-2010, 09:49 PM
I'd like to volunteer, mainly for selfish reasons I'll be honest as it'll look good on a CV for a paying job but y'know if we didn't have our selfish motives, some good deeds might never get done :P

However, I haven't volunteered cos I just dont know where to start looking!

Tintinnabulate
22-05-2010, 10:33 PM
I'd like to volunteer, mainly for selfish reasons I'll be honest as it'll look good on a CV for a paying job but y'know if we didn't have our selfish motives, some good deeds might never get done :P

However, I haven't volunteered cos I just dont know where to start looking!

http://www.vitalise.org.uk/Home-Page.aspx

You won't regret it.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!