PDA

View Full Version : Ninth worker death at Taiwan iPhone firm Foxconn

xxMATTGxx
21-05-2010, 11:45 PM
A ninth employee has jumped to his death at Taiwanese iPhone manufacturer Foxconn, China's state media reports.

Xinhua said 21-year-old Nan Gang leapt from a four-storey factory in the early hours, soon after finishing work.

Shortly after, it emerged that the death of a worker at a Foxconn plant in Hebei province earlier this year was also a suicide.

A total of 11 Foxconn employees have tried to kill themselves this year - two have survived.

The incidents have raised concerns about worker treatment at the site.

The Associated Press quoted spokesman Arthur Huang as saying the company carried out social responsibility programmes to ensure workers' welfare.

Earlier this week, Foxconn said it was enlisting counsellors and Buddhist monks to provide emotional support for its workers.

Suicides

Ten of the employees worked at Foxconn's campuses in Shenzhen, but on Friday it was revealed that a man who died at a factory in the northern Hebei province had also jumped from a building.

The worker, identified by Xinhua as 19-year old Rong Bo, died in the city of Langtang early this year.

A similar investigation into the death of 16-year old Wang Lingyan - who was found dead in a dormitory at the same site - concluded she died from cardiac arrest, government spokeswoman Wang Qiunu told Xinhua.

Foxconn is part of Hon Hai Precision, the world's largest maker of consumer electronics, and employs 800,000 workers worldwide, mostly in China.

The company has said it is taking the deaths seriously, even though a local government investigation did not blame working conditions.

The spate of deaths comes after a Foxconn employee in charge of shipping Apple's iPhone prototype units killed himself last year after one of the units went missing.

Apple said it had investigated accusations of bad employment practices by Foxconn stemming from a June 2006 complaint, and found the claims to be largely unfounded.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia_pacific/10137101.stm

Ouch to be honest, it's a shame they produce products that are £300+ and get hardly any wage or a decent life or anything out of it.

Interesting report: http://gizmodo.com/5542527/undercover-report-from-foxconns-hell-factory

danzooo
22-05-2010, 12:09 AM
It's a shame to be honest, all these big companies exploit these countries for their cheap labour and lenience on worker legislation, I can imagine them being given the bare minimum of treatment.

I can totally understand why these workers would be driven to suicide - no one should be subjected to that. Especially when the workforce of the company are it's heart and soul - it's like neglecting the engine of a car but keeping the bodywork shiny.

Jahova
22-05-2010, 01:32 PM
They need to sort this out.

HotelUser
22-05-2010, 02:22 PM
Free trade should be illegal!

Soy
22-05-2010, 05:16 PM
*Removed*

Edited by Catzsy (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not make inappropriate remarks.

Sharon
22-05-2010, 05:49 PM
^ rude.

This is just unfair - they really need to do something :@

::Art::
22-05-2010, 05:52 PM
*REMOVED*

LOL Dan very mean :P

GommeInc
22-05-2010, 08:52 PM
Aren't Foxconn known to be dreadful anyway, build quality included as well? It's pretty shocking, are they threatened by Foxconn/Apple, or just generally live stressful lives where they over-work themselves?

Agnostic Bear
22-05-2010, 09:43 PM
Aren't Foxconn known to be dreadful anyway, build quality included as well? It's pretty shocking, are they threatened by Foxconn/Apple, or just generally live stressful lives where they over-work themselves?

Yes Foxconn is bargain bin quality at normal prices.

xxMATTGxx
27-05-2010, 08:32 AM
Another suspected suicide has occurred at a factory in China, the latest in a string of deaths at the plant this year, state media reports.

Xinhua said the male employee jumped to his death hours after a media tour at the plant owned by Taiwan firm Foxconn.

The firm manufactures mobile phones and electronic equipment for top brands including Dell computers and Apple.

If confirmed, the death would be the twelfth attempted suicide at the plant - two people have survived such falls.

The plant employs more than 400,000 people.

One man was also reported to have killed himself at another Foxconn plant in Hebei province earlier this year.

Apple has said it is "saddened and upset" by the recent string of suicides.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia_pacific/10169595.stm

Another one! :(

Apolva
27-05-2010, 10:05 PM
It's disgusting. Sadly Foxconn isn't alone.

MrPinkPanther
27-05-2010, 10:29 PM
If I was a journalist then I'd ask Jobs about it at the iPhone 4th Gen Launch. Its frankly disgusting.

Barmi
27-05-2010, 10:38 PM
If I was a journalist then I'd ask Jobs about it at the iPhone 4th Gen Launch. Its frankly disgusting.
It's nothing to do with Jobs. From what I've read, the suicide rates among Foxconn employees are pretty much the same across China. As Apolva said, they're not alone.

Foxconn is a huge company and provides good conditions and accommodation for its employees. Apple aren't the only company to use Foxconn –– plenty of technology companies do –– but Apple (given the huge media buzz they've generated recently) are arguably the most high profile.

I could be wrong, but I'm sure I read that Apple will be launching an independent investigation into the practices at Foxconn, so they can assess what their continued relationship would be.

MrPinkPanther
27-05-2010, 10:47 PM
It's nothing to do with Jobs. From what I've read, the suicide rates among Foxconn employees are pretty much the same across China. As Apolva said, they're not alone.

Foxconn is a huge company and provides good conditions and accommodation for its employees. Apple aren't the only company to use Foxconn –– plenty of technology companies do –– but Apple (given the huge media buzz they've generated recently) are arguably the most high profile.

I could be wrong, but I'm sure I read that Apple will be launching an independent investigation into the practices at Foxconn, so they can assess what their continued relationship would be.

I know its not Apple but as far as I'm concerned Apple is funding the company that is letting this happen. Apple need to put pressure on them to turn it around, as you've stated they are Foxconn's highest profile client, do you think Foxconn would ever risk losing Apples business? Of course not.

The Professor
28-05-2010, 01:41 PM
I know its not Apple but as far as I'm concerned Apple is funding the company that is letting this happen. Apple need to put pressure on them to turn it around, as you've stated they are Foxconn's highest profile client, do you think Foxconn would ever risk losing Apples business? Of course not.

Foxconn don't just make products for Apple, they make products for loads of people. If there was a string of suicides at a chip shop, would you question the farmer who grew the potatoes?

xxMATTGxx
28-05-2010, 01:58 PM
Foxconn don't just make products for Apple, they make products for loads of people. If there was a string of suicides at a chip shop, would you question the farmer who grew the potatoes?

No but it makes us think. We all demand for cheaper products and that means companies are forced to get them made in countries like Taiwan where they don't haver strict laws like USA or UK does regarding work places. So it's like we are pushing companies like Apple to use such places where staff are likely to have a ton of pressure on them which makes them want to kill themselves. Does goes to show I suppose, like it could be our fault for this..

(Don't flame me here and I'm not saying we are truly to blame at all :P )

The Professor
28-05-2010, 07:00 PM
No but it makes us think. We all demand for cheaper products and that means companies are forced to get them made in countries like Taiwan where they don't haver strict laws like USA or UK does regarding work places. So it's like we are pushing companies like Apple to use such places where staff are likely to have a ton of pressure on them which makes them want to kill themselves. Does goes to show I suppose, like it could be our fault for this..

(Don't flame me here and I'm not saying we are truly to blame at all :P )

Even if there wasn't any pressure from the consumer I'm sure companies would still manufacture where it's cheapest. But tbh I don't really find it comparable; China is a completely different country where they do everything differently. They're communist, they get put in prison if they have 2 children, they're mostly poor (compared to us). From what I've read the conditions in Foxconn are actually pretty good compared to most of china and this suicide rate is still lower than the national average. If you judge it by our standards then yes it's mental and should be stopped but in their country they're making a pretty decent living.

MattFr
28-05-2010, 07:19 PM
These people would have nothing and would die a lot easier if they didn't work in these factories, jus' sayin'.

Barmi
31-05-2010, 06:04 PM
From the sounds of it, Apple will be paying employees some direct subsidies based on which product line they are working. If true, it's hard to bash Apple on this one.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/31/apple-rumored-to-begin-paying-foxconn-employees-direct-wages/

xxMATTGxx
02-06-2010, 08:43 AM
From the sounds of it, Apple will be paying employees some direct subsidies based on which product line they are working. If true, it's hard to bash Apple on this one.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/31/apple-rumored-to-begin-paying-foxconn-employees-direct-wages/

People had the right to bash Apple before any of this was "rumoured" as they were doing nothing about it. Nine or more people have already killed themselves until Apple has done something! Anywayyyy.

According to Reuters, Foxconn will be raising worker wages an additional 10% from the original 20% raise announced last week. Foxconn spokesman, Arthur Huang, said that the 30% base wage increase takes effect immediately. Foxconn admits that it hopes to earn the respect of its workers and raise efficiency with the pay increase while offsetting rising costs on the Chinese mainland. The company's shares fell by 2% following the announcement (in a market down just 0.4%, relatively), worried perhaps that the raise would erode operating profits. All this comes as more Foxconn deaths -- now at 12 -- are being reported. Family of Yan Li, a Foxconn engineer, claims that their son died of exhaustion after working non-stop for 34-hours, then returning for another 12-hours after a 10-hour break. Police have already ruled out suicide and homicide in the case. Nevertheless, Yan Li's family is demanding 250,000 yuan (about 25 times the worker's annual base salary) in compensation. Foxconn accepts no responsibility in the matter saying it would only pay out "humanitarian terms" to the family.

GommeInc
02-06-2010, 09:28 AM
It's interesting they're saying that these deaths are not as severe as they appear to be (or suggesting it isn't), like the story of Yan Li's family claiming he died of exhaustion, and that it wasn't suicide or homicide, yet having 12 employees die so close to each other is incredibly bizarre. If anything, Foxconn need to have a deeper look at this issue :/ Is it just the Apple section, or the full company having these deaths?

xxMATTGxx
02-06-2010, 09:39 AM
It's interesting they're saying that these deaths are not as severe as they appear to be (or suggesting it isn't), like the story of Yan Li's family claiming he died of exhaustion, and that it wasn't suicide or homicide, yet having 12 employees die so close to each other is incredibly bizarre. If anything, Foxconn need to have a deeper look at this issue :/ Is it just the Apple section, or the full company having these deaths?

According to the BBC:

"Steve Jobs: You go in this place and it's a factory but, my gosh, they've got restaurants and movie theatres and hospitals and swimming pools"

Although I think thats a lie to be honest.

---------

Apple boss Steve Jobs has defended conditions at a Taiwanese electronics manufacturer that produces the firm's popular iPhone, following a spate of suicides.

"Foxconn is not a sweatshop," he told a conference in the US.

Mr Jobs said that Apple representatives were working with Foxconn to find out why 10 workers had killed themselves at a factory in Shenzhen, China.

An eleventh worker recently died at another factory in northern China.

In total, there have been 13 suicides and suicide attempts at Foxconn factories this year.

"We're all over this," said Mr Jobs at the All Things Digital conference in California.

GommeInc
02-06-2010, 09:43 AM
Pffft, as if they should listen to that :P He was probably looking over leaflets of a hotel somewhere in the US when someone first contacted him about it.

MrPinkPanther
02-06-2010, 09:45 AM
If there was a string of suicides at a chip shop, would you question the farmer who grew the potatoes?
Thats the wrong analogy to use, the correct analogy would be if there was a string of suicides at the potato plant reportedly due to exhaustion then would you question the company who ordered those potatoes that they were producing? Of course I would. As far as I'm concerned a company has a responsibility over the welfare of its workers, whether they be direct or indirect.

I mean lets look at the extreme example. During the Second World War millions of people were forced to work in concentration camps for companies like Siemens and the vast majority of them of course died as a result of harsh treatment. By your prerogative Siemens holds no blame for this simply because these slave labour forces make products for numerous companies and they are only indirectly employed. Its a completely ludicrous statement to make.

Note: If Apple are raising their wages then thats fair enough but I am continuing this debate on the basis of the earlier argument.

GommeInc
02-06-2010, 09:54 AM
Thats the wrong analogy to use, the correct analogy would be if there was a string of suicides at the potato plant reportedly due to exhaustion then would you question the company who ordered those potatoes that they were producing? Of course I would. As far as I'm concerned a company has a responsibility over the welfare of its workers, whether they be direct or indirect.

I mean lets look at the extreme example. During the Second World War millions of people were forced to work in concentration camps for companies like Siemens and the vast majority of them of course died as a result of harsh treatment. By your prerogative Siemens holds no blame for this simply because these slave labour forces make products for numerous companies and they are only indirectly employed. Its a completely ludicrous statement to make.

Note: If Apple are raising their wages then thats fair enough but I am continuing this debate on the basis of the earlier argument.
Primary concern is with Foxconn as it is their business and their employees. Apple, Dell and everyone else can only look from the side lines as it isn't their business, but a supplier and producer. They can threaten to take their business elsewhere to improve working standards, but they cannot intervene directly unless they have Foxconn's permission. This is most likely down to legal reasons incase Apple promise more of Foxconn when Foxconn has no more to give.

xxMATTGxx
02-06-2010, 09:59 AM
Pffft, as if they should listen to that :P He was probably looking over leaflets of a hotel somewhere in the US when someone first contacted him about it.

Haha probably. I was like "Is this guy talking about Google? They normally have this sort of stuff" :P

GommeInc
02-06-2010, 10:03 AM
Haha probably. I was like "Is this guy talking about Google? They normally have this sort of stuff" :P
All he needed to say was "... and slides" and it would be an accurate description of Google, yeah :P Maybe Jobs is planning to work at Google? ;)

xxMATTGxx
02-06-2010, 10:06 AM
All he needed to say was "... and slides" and it would be an accurate description of Google, yeah :P Maybe Jobs is planning to work at Google? ;)

Dam it. That means no more freedom in the Android operating system! >:[ Although I do think he was talking about a different company.

GommeInc
02-06-2010, 10:07 AM
If Google is as bonkers as their Headquarters, then he would be working in the McDonald's, so I wouldn't worry :P

Misawa
02-06-2010, 10:09 AM
Well, I can't imagine working with 400,000 people in a single plant is too enjoyable.

peteyt
03-06-2010, 06:13 PM
I have a foxconn motherboard. You never really do think of all the hard work/labour thats went into the product

Apolva
04-06-2010, 08:28 AM
Stung by a rash of worker suicides at a Shenzhen factory and the ensuing PR backlash, the world's largest electronics contract manufacturer is promising 30 percent increases in worker wages, more than originally anticipated.

http://www.techweb.com/article/showArticle?articleID=225300229&section=news

Cheryl
12-06-2010, 05:09 PM
i know this thread is a few days old, but an article was published in the Mail and made for very interesting reading, I will just link to it instead of quoting as it is very long. The first picture is very interesting

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1285980/Revealed-Inside-Chinese-suicide-sweatshop-workers-toil-34-hour-shifts-make-iPod.html

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!