PDA

View Full Version : Problem with connection and themes

FlyingJesus
25-05-2010, 02:20 PM
Spent half the day getting rid of some nasty trojan that had got itself into the registry and all sorts of other places, but that fun little fellow managed to make it so that on startup neither "themes" nor the DHCP client are running - so I start with the classic theme and no internet connection. I can go into them through services and force them to load up and then they seem to work fine, but I'd rather they just worked by themselves. They're both on automatic so they ought to, but my guess is that this is going to be another registry key problem and I don't want to fiddle around with that too much because I'm not that hot on it and don't want to destroy everything, hence being here because I figure some of you will know more about it than me and might be able to offer a solution :P

If you know what registry paths I need to check for this (and what they're supposed to look like when not damaged) that would be fabulous, or any other solutions to either the DHCP or theme not running as they should on startup. Cheers :)

Apolva
25-05-2010, 03:06 PM
just reinstall windows, much simpler ;)

FlyingJesus
25-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Not such a simple option for me - it's a copy of XP from a disc my dad made, and I don't have it :P otherwise probably would by now lol

N!ck
25-05-2010, 04:14 PM
System restore. That should put your registry back to how it was on whatever date.

FlyingJesus
25-05-2010, 04:22 PM
Mmmm did that for some time last week but it's still not liking it, so maybe it's not that after all :( very odd, might have to just backup everything I want to keep and then blast it completely

MattFr
25-05-2010, 04:39 PM
Why use DHCP? Assign yourself a static IP. Google "Windows XP IPv4 Static IP guide".

The Professor
25-05-2010, 05:09 PM
Personally I wouldn't continue to use the PC if you've had a trojan, you never know what it's left behind. If you don't have an XP disc I'd either pirate one or get a linux OS until you can come by a windows 7 disc.

Recursion
25-05-2010, 05:11 PM
Why use DHCP? Assign yourself a static IP. Google "Windows XP IPv4 Static IP guide".

Because as horrible as DHCP is, it's a lot easier when you have devices that hop on and off the network a lot and connect to other networks.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!