PDA

View Full Version : Mario Galaxy 2 to become the highest rated game ever?

MrPinkPanther
26-05-2010, 04:33 PM
As I'm sure most of you know "Game Rankings" collates game scores from the main Magazines and Video Game websites. Currently Super Mario Galaxy 2 is tied with Ocarina of time at 97.57 (What are the chances).

Is game of the year decided already? It seems like it could well be.

http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html

Thread moved by Nicola (Forum Super Moderator) from 'Console and Computer Gaming'

dbgtz
26-05-2010, 08:04 PM
goty isnt decided by rankings and plus uncharted 2 was on 97 pre-release so that could always go down.

Niall!
26-05-2010, 08:45 PM
goty isnt decided by rankings and plus uncharted 2 was on 97 pre-release so that could always go down.

Mario Galaxy 2 has been released for most wii owners

dbgtz
26-05-2010, 08:49 PM
oh right i didnt think it was out
tbh i dont see how a mario game nowadays can be so amazing.

Fez
26-05-2010, 09:09 PM
I laugh in the face of this.

Blinger$
26-05-2010, 10:17 PM
Having just played it for a bit, i think its amazing so far, much better then the original. I only completed the first level to see how it is, and damn!

april
27-05-2010, 02:12 AM
IGN gave it a 10/10.
I'd give it a 10/10 too.. it's amazing, best game available for the Wii.

MrPinkPanther
27-05-2010, 07:41 AM
It is now number one :D

As said it is out in most places now. Whilst you are right GotY isn't decided by rankings, it is decided by the exact same reviewers that gave Galaxy 2 pretty much 10/10 across the board. If Galaxy 1 was game of the year then I think this will be.

oh right i didnt think it was out
Why? That makes literally no sense. Why should Mario be worse than other games just because the character is old? Miyamoto is a gaming genius and keeps coming up with innovative new concepts to keep it fresh. Thats why it's rated so highly.

Why? Have you even played it? The fact remains it is currently the most critically acclaimed game in history.

Fez
27-05-2010, 03:31 PM
Why? Have you even played it? The fact remains it is currently the most critically acclaimed game in history.

Well, that's the thing, most critically acclaimed game in history. Not "the greatest game."

I want a Wii just for Mario Galaxy 1/2, so it probably says a lot about its quality.

EDIT: Not the greatest game of all time now. Or tied: http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html

MrPinkPanther
27-05-2010, 04:36 PM
Well, that's the thing, most critically acclaimed game in history. Not "the greatest game."

I never said it was? "Great" is all about opinion

I want a Wii just for Mario Galaxy 1/2, so it probably says a lot about its quality.
You should, its sweet :D

EDIT: Not the greatest game of all time now. Or tied: http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html
Yup, got a 95ish review I think.

Fez
27-05-2010, 04:39 PM
Yup, got a 95ish review I think.

I think 100/100 or 10/10 reviews are stupid because there's never going to be a pixel perfect game.

10/10 means it fills every box.

I think Galaxy is more like a 9.9999 recurring or whatever. No game can ever fill all boxes.

dbgtz
27-05-2010, 05:16 PM
Agreed with above

and its because mario games are pretty much all the same imo.

ItsDave
27-05-2010, 06:37 PM

Win.

Mario Galaxy sucked. Mario sucks. Luigi Rules, the fact they made a second just confirms Nintendo are money printing *******.

MrPinkPanther
27-05-2010, 08:28 PM
I think 100/100 or 10/10 reviews are stupid because there's never going to be a pixel perfect game.

10/10 means it fills every box.

I think Galaxy is more like a 9.9999 recurring or whatever. No game can ever fill all boxes.
I agree actually. But the problem is "10/10" reviews appear in every industry. For the gaming industry its actually relatively rare to get a game that is 10/10 but in say the film industry for example, many films get 5 stars.

Agreed with above

and its because mario games are pretty much all the same imo.
How so? Surely by that prerogative all sequels are the same? 3D Marios are completely different games to 2D Marios and there have only been 4 3D Marios. I mean you'd have a point if you were talking about Smash Brothers or something but platforming Mario games are almost always original. The four 3D Marios released:

Mario 64
Mario Sunshine
Mario Galaxy
Mario Galaxy 2

Now the only one on that list that was unoriginal was Mario Sunshine and it by far the lowest rated for exactly that reason. Mario 64 defined the 3D Platforming genre and games are trying to imitate that even now. Mario Galaxy came along and completely turned 64s gameplay on its head, taking the same core concepts and shaking them up. Now at first glance Mario Galaxy 2 looks similar, yes it does use the same engine. But the amount that they have added is enormous, it plays completely differently from the original. The original was a simple platforming adventure, Galaxy 2 shakes it up by making it as much about puzzles as platforming, its a sheer genius game that you need a wealth of logic to get through.

What do you honestly think is more different. Mario 64 to Galaxy or Halo 1 to Halo 2? Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy a bit of Halo but if there is one thing Mario is then it is original.

Win.

Mario Galaxy sucked. Mario sucks. Luigi Rules, the fact they made a second just confirms Nintendo are money printing *******.

Actually it shows complete the opposite. Mario Galaxy is the 9th best selling Wii Game. If they were "money printing *******"s then surely they would make sequels to the more popular games like Mario Kart Wii? They are obviously much quicker and cheaper to develop are they not? After all Mario Karts sales are nearly 3x that of Galaxies.

Fez
27-05-2010, 08:43 PM
Mario is an icon in the very foundation of our full societal culture, and Mario Galaxy is one of the greatest games ever made in my opinion.

I've yet to play 2.

It won't be in my personal top ten.

Neversoft
06-06-2010, 09:39 AM

...have you even played the game? Because quite frankly, you're talking out of your bottom.

How come people can't see that the Mario games are actually very different from each other? Mario 64 came along, it was the first 3D Mario, it was new, it was exciting. Mario Sunshine came along and Fludd was introduced. Fludd allowed the player to experience a 3D Mario game again, but from a totally new perspective, and that is exactly what Mario Galaxy did when it came along with its planets, psychics and use of its surroundings. Yes, the look in every 3D Mario Game is pretty much the same (only more beautiful each time), as are the goals and the story (if these were changed it wouldn't be Mario anymore, they are what fans identify with) but the way you play the game differs so greatly in each one and yes, it really does make all the difference. Not forgetting to mention each Mario game has a brand new world to discover. The worlds in Mario are rich, wonderful and endlessly engrossing. You can spend hours on end marvelling at the new scenery alone. The games are not the same.

Neversoft
06-06-2010, 09:56 AM
I'd also like to add that the endlessly growing fanbase and positive reviews are proof alone that the games always have something new to offer. No one wants to play the exact same thing over and over again. If thats what Mario is then why are people still playing it?

Neil
07-06-2010, 02:20 AM
I don't much doubt the credibility of that site but seriously, how did the 360 version of Orange Box rank higher than the PC version? That doesn't even make sense.

Either way, I want to get SMG2 but I've not even finished the first one, probably wont as it got pretty boring after a while, I really need to use my Wii a little more, my PS3 gets as much use as my xbox now haha.

Sly
07-06-2010, 09:52 AM
it's okay it's gone down now to 2nd place so we can all chill (:

Adamm
07-06-2010, 10:13 AM
this would be an injustice to the human race.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!