PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Game - And Why.

[Chris]
26-05-2010, 10:15 PM
So, Whats your favourite game(s)?
And why?

Personally, I havnt found a game thats my favourite. But i do like the Pokemon Series (Yeah.. Yeah.. Shush) Because the games are fairly long, Plus it was the first game (Red) i got on my Gameboy Colour. ;D

Jam
26-05-2010, 10:26 PM
Pokémon Yellow or Sonic the Hedgehog both my first handheld/console games and I still play both today.

[Chris]
26-05-2010, 10:28 PM
Mhmm, I played yellow the other day. Only got 44 hours on it :/ Had it since release. hahah

crazed
26-05-2010, 10:31 PM
Mmm not sure really.

I loved playing through Half life 2, but also Portal (pc not any other crap ;)) God I sound like a Valve fanboy.

I also really loved playing Mario 64 as a child along with Banjo kazooie, the games were just so beautiful and fun to play. I couldn't put them down!!

I can't name just one D: You're making this too impossible!!!

Adamm
26-05-2010, 10:40 PM
At the time Pokemon Gold and GTA SA.

Nemo
26-05-2010, 10:48 PM
Spyro 2. O-M-G. Best game ever.

Black_Apalachi
26-05-2010, 10:52 PM
Might just be because it was the first PlayStation game I played, but Crash Bandicoot.

[Chris]
26-05-2010, 11:10 PM
Why were they your Favourite games?

Black_Apalachi
26-05-2010, 11:32 PM
Well Crash is just a classic. I was like 4 when I first picked up a PlayStation pad so I guess it was easy to get into but still hugely enjoyable 15 years later. In fact I think it's on the PS3 Network but I keep forgetting to have a look.

Sly
27-05-2010, 08:42 AM
Pokemon or Dragonquest.

MrPinkPanther
27-05-2010, 08:51 AM
Mario Galaxy or Banjo Kazooie.

simplymagic
27-05-2010, 01:51 PM
My favourite games ever were on the ps1 <3. I loved them because my ps1 was chipped and the games were a fiver each ;)

Anyway, my fav is probs spyro 1 and 2. After the ps1, spyro (and crash) games were ruined.

Also super mario sunshine will have a special place in my heart

Fez
27-05-2010, 03:30 PM
Shadow of the Colossus.

Don't think another videogame has changed my life as much as it did.

::Art::
27-05-2010, 03:34 PM
Crash Bandiccot because it was just amazing.

Pokemon because it was just amazing.

Fifa because it is amazing.

Nemo
27-05-2010, 04:25 PM
Shadow of the Colossus.

Don't think another videogame has changed my life as much as it did.
That was a great game, deep too.

dbgtz
27-05-2010, 05:25 PM
I cant say overall but this gen it has to be heavy rain because of its originality and story.

lPinoy
27-05-2010, 05:30 PM
My favourite games would probably come from the PS1 or Gamecube: Crash Bandicoot, older Tomb Raiders, Spyro, Mario Kart: Double Dash and the Mario parties; I used to love them! I still love Super Marios but at the moment, I have no favourite game as I haven't played anything in quite some time.

Rottentroll
27-05-2010, 06:05 PM
Oddworld: Abe's Odyssey & Abe's Exoddus.

ItsDave
27-05-2010, 06:35 PM
GTA IV or Road Rash, hummm....

Jam
27-05-2010, 08:50 PM
Spyro 2. O-M-G. Best game ever.

Forgot about this, hope they get it back on PSN soon.

Fez
27-05-2010, 09:14 PM
I cant say overall but this gen it has to be heavy rain because of its originality and story.

I'm not calling your choice out or anything but you do know of the massive plot holes and absolute abuse of player choice, right?

dbgtz
27-05-2010, 09:17 PM
I'm not calling your choice out or anything but you do know of the massive plot holes and absolute abuse of player choice, right?

no but it wouldnt change my decision. what are they anyway?

Fez
27-05-2010, 09:24 PM
no but it wouldnt change my decision. what are they anyway?

Hereo http://www.gamesradar.com/f/heavy-rains-big-plot-holes/a-20100224105436979020

Player choice blah blah

As a few examples. When Ethan comes back from either killing/letting the guy go, he and Madison talk about stuff. They only met two days ago and now they're suddenly lovers. Never mind her not calling an ambulance when his chest was completely burned, she falls in love with him without zero relationship development. So now the player is given the choice of orchestrating a romance. If the player refuses, later scenes punish the player by showing Madison and Ethan being lonely; but goddamn that's just some bad plotting. If you choose to kiss her, congratulations, you've completely destroyed the modern ideal of romance.

Another example; when Scott is in the typewriter place and Manfred is in the little hideyhold. All the time you are controlling Scott. His thoughts are calm and nice, and then it turns out her killed Manfred. That's just a total breach of player security and downright stupid to remove your control for a stupid plot-point that makes no sense anyway. All of the time, Scott was mouthing about "I hope the rain stops." (when he wants to test Ethan by drowning Shaun) and probably a dozen more. The whole ideal of a player character turning out to be the killer could have only have worked, in my mind, if he was a schizo or had a dual personality that we didn't see. Then it'd be less about breaching player connectivity and more about bad writing, which would have improved it ten-fold in my book.

dbgtz
27-05-2010, 09:30 PM
As a few examples. When Ethan comes back from either killing/letting the guy go, he and Madison talk about stuff. They only met two days ago and now they're suddenly lovers. Never mind her not calling an ambulance when his chest was completely burned, she falls in love with him without zero relationship development. So now the player is given the choice of orchestrating a romance. If the player refuses, later scenes punish the player by showing Madison and Ethan being lonely; but goddamn that's just some bad plotting. If you choose to kiss her, congratulations, you've completely destroyed the modern ideal of romance.

Does it ever say the time in each cutscene for all you know it could be a year later? And she didn't called the hospital because he requested for her not to. When they kiss first time it's probs just an initial spark or something.

Another example; when Scott is in the typewriter place and Manfred is in the little hideyhold. All the time you are controlling Scott. His thoughts are calm and nice, and then it turns out her killed Manfred. That's just a total breach of player security and downright stupid to remove your control for a stupid plot-point that makes no sense anyway.

I have no idea what that's on about.

All of the time, Scott was mouthing about "I hope the rain stops." (when he wants to test Ethan by drowning Shaun) and probably a dozen more. The whole ideal of a player character turning out to be the killer could have only have worked, in my mind, if he was a schizo or had a dual personality that we didn't see. Then it'd be less about breaching player connectivity and more about bad writing, which would have improved it ten-fold in my book.

He probably wanted the rain to stop to give ethan more time, you have to remember that he was testing him. Either that or it was to draw you away from suspecting him. And the last bit is just opinion.

Fez
27-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Does it ever say the time in each cutscene for all you know it could be a year later? And she didn't called the hospital because he requested for her not to. When they kiss first time it's probs just an initial spark or something.

Well if you saw a man with absolute burns the chest and writhing in pain, and he said "Don't call an ambulance.", you'd just go "Fair enough."

And how can it be a year later when during all of this he has 2 hours to save Shaun.

I have no idea what that's on about.

Basically, think of it this way. You're playing as Scott in the typewriter shop thing. You go around the shop, all fair and good having some dialogue with an old friend and it's all fair until you walk into the room. What's basically happening is Quantic Dreams is taking your control away to tell the plot. Now this is all fair and dandy in a game such as Bioshock 2, where you're actually being mind controlled, but it really doesn't fit in here. The game is asking you to play as a killer, basically, and since your project yourself on to Scott. You are Scott, same as in any videogame. All fine and dandy because Heavy Rain is a game about emotional connection (which it does succeed in, mostly).

What I'm not comfortable with is Quantic Dreams taking away my controller, having my player character kill someone and then hand me back the controller to discover a few hours later that it was all Scott along.

He probably wanted the rain to stop to give ethan more time, you have to remember that he was testing him. Either that or it was to draw you away from suspecting him. And the last bit is just opinion.

Yeah it was opinion. But I don't see how you can ignore some of the other things Scott thinks, as in, no one can hear these except you.

"Hope I get paid soon, this case is almost finished."
"I hope the rain stops, makes my asthma come up way too often."
"Poor kid. Poor father, driven to the extreme."
"I've got to catch this killer, fast."

dbgtz
27-05-2010, 09:45 PM
Well if you saw a man with absolute burns the chest and writhing in pain, and he said "Don't call an ambulance.", you'd just go "Fair enough."

And how can it be a year later when during all of this he has 2 hours to save Shaun.

I mean the epilogues could be set at any time.

Basically, think of it this way. You're playing as Scott in the typewriter shop thing. You go around the shop, all fair and good having some dialogue with an old friend and it's all fair until you walk into the room. What's basically happening is Quantic Dreams is taking your control away to tell the plot. Now this is all fair and dandy in a game such as Bioshock 2, where you're actually being mind controlled, but it really doesn't fit in here. The game is asking you to play as a killer, basically, and since your project yourself on to Scott. You are Scott, same as in any videogame. All fine and dandy because Heavy Rain is a game about emotional connection (which it does succeed in, mostly).

What I'm not comfortable with is Quantic Dreams taking away my controller, having my player character kill someone and then hand me back the controller to discover a few hours later that it was all Scott along.

Oh right I get that now, I don't mind tbh. I did see an error on how he seemed to walk in again even though he done it already and how the woman didn't hear anything.

Yeah it was opinion. But I don't see how you can ignore some of the other things Scott thinks, as in, no one can hear these except you.

Could be some other source of income? I dunno on this.

Well that kinda speaks for itself, no real error imo.

He wasn't a proper conciousless killer, he did have pity for them but he still had to "drive them to the extreme" in order to achieve his goal.

Depending on where it's said, he might refer to someone else as the killer so he can frame them.

so yah :L

Fez
27-05-2010, 09:51 PM
I mean the epilogues could be set at any time.

I don't think they would, since all the epilogues, in the script, are set *1 month later* in David Cage's words.

Oh right I get that now, I don't mind tbh. I did see an error on how he seemed to walk in again even though he done it already and how the woman didn't hear anything.

Well I don't see how it's totally just able to... to shrug it off. Like, it's okay if you're taking away my control to tell an important event in the narrative. I think the general bond is the event has to be at least told with sense. I don't think Scott had to chase such loose of a lead, which the dumbfounded police didn't chase, and then kill one of his old friends.

Could be some other source of income? I dunno on this.

As Lauren points out, none of the families actually hired Scott.

Well that kinda speaks for itself, no real error imo.

Well if it wants the rain stop all because of his asthma then he might as well call it all off.

He wasn't a proper conciousless killer, he did have pity for them but he still had to "drive them to the extreme" in order to achieve his goal.

Well I doubt you'd comment on your victims, in your thoughts. No one else can read them.

Depending on where it's said, he might refer to someone else as the killer so he can frame them.

Saying it right after he kills Manfred and is with Lauren in the car.

dbgtz
27-05-2010, 10:12 PM
maybe he's 2 faced, one side is normal the other is messed up.

Special
27-05-2010, 10:17 PM
mario nintendo colour 6 stars

used to love this and still do it's a childhood thing im connect to lol

Erotica
03-06-2010, 07:12 AM
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time or The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. I remember playing them both (albeit badly) when I was younger and still love playing them because they're such good games and were done to such a high standard.

PaulMacC
03-06-2010, 07:15 AM
Final Fantasy 6. Storyline, Graphics, Music.

xtabithax
03-06-2010, 10:23 AM
Kingdom Hearts ♥

Andii
03-06-2010, 10:33 AM
GEARS OF WAR simply because the controls are easy. you can do amazing gllitches. the story of it is pure deadly and overall its one amazing game :D:D:D:D

Banana Pancakes
03-06-2010, 01:01 PM
Croc

Legend of a game.

Pazza
03-06-2010, 02:48 PM
Going to have to be timesplitters for me , probably 2 or future perfect :)

Becca
03-06-2010, 02:59 PM
Rock Band - I can be on it for hours on end.

dbgtz
03-06-2010, 05:56 PM
GEARS OF WAR simply because the controls are easy. you can do amazing gllitches. the story of it is pure deadly and overall its one amazing game :D:D:D:D

You like a game because it's easy and it has loads of glitches?
youre a fail.

[Chris]
05-06-2010, 01:03 AM
You like a game because it's easy and it has loads of glitches?
youre a fail.

Yeah.. /Facepalm.

Also, I can play on rockband for a while, I wouldnt say its my favourite, But its had a lot of playtime.

I LOVED Gta: Vice city. It had a.. Charm to it. I liked SA's Customisation options though, And its size, But the story was a bit flat.

Oleh
05-06-2010, 02:53 AM
Call of duty 5 nazi zombies for the sheer fact i can get all moddy and make them all walk to me and then just rpg the floor with no consequences

Lost_Addict
05-06-2010, 10:08 AM
Orange Box - Because it's revolutionary with the games it contains, and simply pure Genius
Medal of Honour Allied Assult - I spent hours upon hours on this game like 7 years ago, i even got into a clan which you ahd to be 18 to join but they made a jr division just for me rofl, so this game probably had most influsence in my gamming life XD

And of course... The Spyro The Dragon series - just pure genius for kids well for all to play, i'd happily sit down with it and play through it again :D

g
06-06-2010, 02:42 PM
Oblivion tes, was amazing total gametime on one account was something like 142 hours

Sharon
06-06-2010, 03:22 PM
MW2 - Love it :')

Zak
07-06-2010, 12:15 AM
Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

For so many reasons, and it's also a game I played non-stop as a child.
It's masterful and the greatest game of all time.

Stryderman
07-06-2010, 12:23 AM
http://i38.tinypic.com/6zt1ew.jpg

If you ever played it you would understand why it is literally the best game ever created

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!