PDA

View Full Version : Broadcasting Microphone

Richie
29-05-2010, 06:49 PM
Hey,
I'm looking for a good broadcasting microphone with this il also need a ground stand that can be adjusted in height, a pop / wind shield. I also wouldn't mind a mixer, but I'm going to be honest I really don't know what a mixer is for. I will be hooking up the equipment to my laptop for the time being (Compaq CQ50) it doesn't have a great sound card so I'm not really sure how to go about finding a microphone that will work with my laptop.

For all of above, I know its pushing it but I have aprox €100 / £85 / $122 I live in Ireland so I would need a good online store that could ship the microphone to me.

If anyone could find me a good package maybe? with all above included that would be perfect, I'm not really experienced in buying broadcasting equipment.

Any help is appreciated,
Thanks,
Rich.

Kieran
29-05-2010, 06:52 PM
What you want to be looking for is a condenser microphone and I'd suggest beings as your on a laptop a USB one. A very decent microphone is the Behringer C1-U so if you can find that somewhere with a stand/pop shield it would be perfect for you. I know the microphone retails around £50.

myke
29-05-2010, 07:00 PM
Hey,
I'm looking for a good broadcasting microphone with this il also need a ground stand that can be adjusted in height, a pop / wind shield. I also wouldn't mind a mixer, but I'm going to be honest I really don't know what a mixer is for. I will be hooking up the equipment to my laptop for the time being (Compaq CQ50) it doesn't have a great sound card so I'm not really sure how to go about finding a microphone that will work with my laptop.

For all of above, I know its pushing it but I have aprox €100 / £85 / $122 I live in Ireland so I would need a good online store that could ship the microphone to me.

If anyone could find me a good package maybe? with all above included that would be perfect, I'm not really experienced in buying broadcasting equipment.

Any help is appreciated,
Thanks,
Rich.

A mixer does just as it says, mixes the levels :P

A USB one as Ten said would be good; I have a friend who has one, you pick up some cheap good ones that have just one input. :)

I also recommend the C1.

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/

I don't know if they ship to Ireland tho

PaulMacC
29-05-2010, 07:20 PM
I'll give you the best microphone you can get.
http://www.bluemic.com/snowball/

It is around £75 from www.play.com (http://www.play.com) - I have one and I use it all the time for commentating, it is great. It comes with a stand and is connected via USB so the sound card does not matter.

Jamieb
29-05-2010, 07:51 PM
When I did online radio I used a RODE Nt-1A PRO.... They good for the money but dont forget you will need phantom power!

Also DONT go for USB... They rubbish... In my opinion anyway ;) But what do I know :P

Kieran
29-05-2010, 08:03 PM
When I did online radio I used a RODE Nt-1A PRO.... They good for the money but dont forget you will need phantom power!

Also DONT go for USB... They rubbish... In my opinion anyway ;) But what do I know :P

Can't imagine he wants to justify spending £150 on a microphone plus a mixer.

Stephen
29-05-2010, 08:03 PM
you hoping it will get your hxl job back?

turtle.
29-05-2010, 08:20 PM
T.Bone SC440

http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tbone_sc440_usb.htm (http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tbone_sc440_usb.htm)

Reviewed to be a much better sound than the Rode NT1-A (where has PRO came from?). T.Bone is well known in Germany and is a producers secret to a cost effective brand that gives professional results.

The Samson C01/Behringer C1 (same mic different names/brands) are cold and aren't worth the money yet, the T.Bone is a great sound.

The T.Bone microphones come with better quality shock mounts than the NT1-A and the C1's don't have a shock mount at all. Also for an extra tenner you can get a great pop shield too. For a NT1-A your looking at £130 + postage. For the T.Bone you'd get a better pop shield and mic with postage for no more than £75

All you have to do is listen to the demo's online and you'll see what everyone see's in them.

Nothing wrong with USB microphones, this is a dynamic condenser microphone with a large diaphragm and will outshine most mic's on the market below the £200 mark.

For use as a home broadcasting microphone you can't go wrong, it's not like your recording chart topping hits so there's no need to worry about preamps and phantom power.

I know this as I actually work in studio environments, the company I work for has a large collection of T.Bone microphones as well as Rode's, Audio Technica's, Neumann's and even Brauner. Most of these microphones are now in the storage cupboard as the T.Bone's are the most preferred.

Jamieb
29-05-2010, 08:26 PM
The pro was the pack they did including pop shield etc... Didnt use though, you also got like a mic case too. Nice bit of plugging in last comment ;) shame no one cares... ;)

turtle.
29-05-2010, 08:28 PM
How do you mean plugging? I haven't said any company names i work for etc?
clearly somebody does care otherwise you wouldn't of commented? ;)
Jamie what mic do you currently use?

Richie
29-05-2010, 08:34 PM
lol ty guys il look into your suggestions

you hoping it will get your hxl job back?

nd lol no......

@myke

i was looking at the c1 b4 but im not too sure hmm

Jamieb
29-05-2010, 08:35 PM
It was plugging as the comment wasn't needed. I use different ones depending on the jobs.
Its not relivent that microphone I use as this thread isnt about me. Maybe you should open a thread asking what mic people use and I will comment in that. ;)

turtle.
29-05-2010, 08:36 PM
It was plugging as the comment wasn't needed. I use different ones depending on the jobs.
Its not relivent that microphone I use as this thread isnt about me. Maybe you should open a thread asking what mic people use and I will comment in that. ;)

Darling, i was curious as you mentioned that you used to use the NT1-A
How was my comment not needed? i was posting an excellent microphone for Richie - as i believe you was?

Jamieb
29-05-2010, 08:42 PM
Darling, i was curious as you mentioned that you used to use the NT1-A
How was my comment not needed? i was posting an excellent microphone for Richie - as i believe you was?

I use Shure SM7B for voiceovers although the NT does sound good on the more upbeat ones as it pushes moe highs out in my opinion which sounds nice!

turtle.
29-05-2010, 08:49 PM
why would you use a dynamic microphone for voice overs when a condenser gives be better quality? :S

Jamieb
29-05-2010, 08:52 PM
Found it sounds REALLY nice... I have the NT for condencer if I need but i find that mic sounds really nice... With EQ'ed and compressed.

Kieran
29-05-2010, 08:53 PM
Why have you tried to turn this in to a who's got a bigger microphone thread? All he wanted to know was which one he should get :l

turtle.
29-05-2010, 08:54 PM
Whatever you find works best for you. I stand by my first post in this thread. Thomann are excellent and are fantastic value for money whether its your first microphone or your hundredth.

Jamieb
29-05-2010, 08:54 PM
Size isnt everything...... ;)

Kieran
29-05-2010, 08:55 PM
Size isnt everything...... ;)

It was meant to be a joke.... ;)

turtle.
29-05-2010, 08:57 PM
and trust me boys.. . i think its boy(s) .. sorry if it isn't - forget what they say. Size is everything

MattFr
29-05-2010, 08:59 PM
Surely you can't go wrong with a good ol' 58? :D

Kieran
29-05-2010, 09:03 PM
Surely you can't go wrong with a good ol' 58? :D

You referring to an Sure 58? Aren't they designed and use more for live work?

turtle.
29-05-2010, 09:05 PM
Definitely ^^^
I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole for broadcasting over the internet.
(sorry i apparently couldn't quote you - or maybe i just fail at using forums)

Kieran
29-05-2010, 09:07 PM
Definitely ^^^

Was going to say.... my microphone knowledge is somewhat limited but I was certain it was the industry standard for live recordings.

MattFr
29-05-2010, 09:07 PM
You referring to an Sure 58? Aren't they designed and use more for live work?
No actually, I'm talking about a Shure SM58. They're used for anything, they're amazing bits of kit.

Definitely ^^^

Would you not? I've used them for 5 years in all kinds of situations, I'd use them for anything. But then again, I know what I'm talking about, you probably don't.

turtle.
29-05-2010, 09:09 PM
Would you not? I've used them for 5 years in all kinds of situations, I'd use them for anything. But then again, I know what I'm talking about, you probably don't.

Your quite right, i have no knowledge at all :) clearly!

I have only just managed to work out how to quote.

MattFr
29-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Your quite right, i have no knowledge at all :) clearly!

I have only just managed to work out how to quote.
The fact that you wouldn't touch probably the best microphone ever made for one of it's intended uses kind of supports my judgement, does it not?

turtle.
29-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Are you sure your not on about the 57?
It is the work horse for most things?
The 58's a bit more live stuff - think backing singers on a live stage

Kieran
29-05-2010, 09:14 PM

And amps ;)

MattFr
29-05-2010, 09:16 PM
Well, even though they're the same microphone with the same capsule, just a different head design, I'm pretty sure I'm talking about the 58 considering it's designed with vocals in mind ;)

turtle.
29-05-2010, 09:25 PM
that might be the case but the 58 and the 57 have a different pick up pattern, they have a different frequency response

MattFr
29-05-2010, 09:26 PM
That's strange considering they're both cardioid!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33QPLbQi9FI

Another reason I love the 58. My stock has survived numerous drops, I even dropped one from a catwalk just because I could and it stood up to it fine. Amazing microphones.

turtle.
29-05-2010, 09:28 PM
Correct but anyone knows that you get a different frequency response as they have different heads.
Plus it clearly states it on their site.

MattFr
29-05-2010, 09:31 PM
Correct but anyone knows that you get a different frequency response as they have different heads.
Plus it clearly states it on their site.
Hence why I prefer the 58. From testing on a snare for the lack of a better mic, a headless 58 sounds the same as a 57 to me.

Anyway, edit to this, this is going wildly offtopic. What I'm saying is that for the same money, the quality from a 58 would be vastly superior to a crappy large diaphragm condenser microphone. If the budget was much higher, yeah, I would spec something different, but sub-£100 there's no other choice but a 58 tbh.

turtle.
29-05-2010, 09:40 PM
or a thomann t.bone ;)

MattFr
29-05-2010, 09:41 PM
Most likely not. I bet it sounds nasty.

turtle.
30-05-2010, 10:20 AM
Have a look on their website. Their demo's speak for the quality :)

MattFr
30-05-2010, 10:31 AM
Have a look on their website. Their demo's speak for the quality :)

I feel they sound pretty harsh. Nothing to the smooth, rich sound of a 58.

turtle.
30-05-2010, 10:36 AM
I think it really depends what your doing with the mic Matt.

MattFr
30-05-2010, 11:14 AM
I disagree. SM58 vs cheap large diaphragm at the same price? No contest.

turtle.
30-05-2010, 11:19 AM
This really isn't worth wasting my time on anymore.

I disagree with you, you disagree with me lets just agree to disagree?

Richie
30-05-2010, 06:08 PM
Okay its either going to be the tbone or the behringer c1 what do you guys think? or if you have any more suggestions lemme know.

Kieran
30-05-2010, 06:11 PM
Well I've only had experience of the C1-U. Might be worth trying to find online reviews of both to see what is said :)

MattFr
30-05-2010, 06:14 PM
Okay its either going to be the tbone or the behringer c1 what do you guys think? or if you have any more suggestions lemme know.

Get the tbone then, Behringer is nasty crap. SM58 would do you better though ;)

PaulMacC
30-05-2010, 06:16 PM
I'd recommend the Blue Snowball. It is one of the cheapest professional USB microphones out there on the market. It has 3 adjustable modes and has very high quality.

Richie
30-05-2010, 06:40 PM
Get the tbone then, Behringer is nasty crap. SM58 would do you better though ;)

You got a link to tht mic bud?

I'd recommend the Blue Snowball. It is one of the cheapest professional USB microphones out there on the market. It has 3 adjustable modes and has very high quality.

The look of it puts me off tho, u got any sound tests? so i know what they sound like

@kieran
I was orginally looking at that cos me mate has it but they are very similar apparently and the c1 is like half the price of the c1-u

MattFr
30-05-2010, 06:48 PM
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/2022-shure-sm58.html/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=base

Kieran
30-05-2010, 06:49 PM

The look of it puts me off tho, u got any sound tests? so i know what they sound like

@kieran
I was orginally looking at that cos me mate has it but they are very similar apparently and the c1 is like half the price of the c1-u

The C1-U is the USB verion of the C1?

Richie
30-05-2010, 06:49 PM
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/2022-shure-sm58.html/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=base

any sound previews?

as for the looks it looks like a karaoke microphone and its a little over my budget

ohh is the c1 not usb?

MattFr
30-05-2010, 06:52 PM
any sound previews?

as for the looks it looks like a karaoke microphone and its a little over my budget

ohh is the c1 not usb?
The fact that it's the industry standard microphone for everything across the world means you don't need a preview!

Kieran
30-05-2010, 06:53 PM
The fact that it's the industry standard microphone for everything across the world means you don't need a preview!

He's going to need a mixer on top of the £98 if he buys that.

MattFr
30-05-2010, 06:55 PM
Why would he?

Kieran
30-05-2010, 06:56 PM
Why would he?

Because he is after a microphone for his computer and that has an XLR connection

MattFr
30-05-2010, 06:57 PM
Because he is after a microphone for his computer and that has an XLR connection
And that means he needs a mixer, why? You could easily plug that into your computer with an adapter or an external soundcard.

PaulMacC
30-05-2010, 07:01 PM

@kieran
http://www.youtube.com/pyropuncher
my youtube channel

Kieran
30-05-2010, 07:02 PM
Well he will need some kind of media interface to attach an XLR to a USB which is more expense for him. He clearly said he doesn't want to spend more than £75.

Richie
30-05-2010, 07:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/pyropuncher
my youtube channel

I like it its nice and clear might consider it

Ok so i basically need a mic, stand, pop sheild and a mixer preferably from the same shop, any1 got any ideas? i could probs push to 200ish euro for the lot

turtle.
30-05-2010, 11:06 PM
I like it its nice and clear might consider it

Ok so i basically need a mic, stand, pop sheild and a mixer preferably from the same shop, any1 got any ideas? i could probs push to 200ish euro for the lot

The problem with the Blue Snowball is its quite cold sounding - as the name would suggest ;)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!