PDA

View Full Version : OfCom's new plans for Internet piracy in the UK

xxMATTGxx
31-05-2010, 09:30 AM
I believe these were done some days ago but if no one is aware. This makes it easier to understand:

OfCom, the UK's independent competition and regulatory authority for the telecommunications industry, has released a new draft of their policies towards Internet piracy. There are many changes in the new draft especially when it comes to dealing with Internet pirates.

Under the new system, users who break piracy laws will be logged in a central database along with their name and the number of offenses they have committed. This new central database will be accessible by music companies and movie studios so they can decide whether to take legal action against "serial" offenders. However, there is no need to get instantly worried as any offenders will be sent three warning letters before any legal action can be taken against them.

This plan would initially only affect the seven largest UK ISP's which include:

* BT
* Talk Talk
* Virgin Media
* Sky
* Orange
* O2
* Post Office

OfCom are hopeful it will extend to all of the UK ISP's in the future as well as mobile providers if needed.

To cope with the new stricter regulations, OfCom are also planning to implement a much clearer and easier appeals process for users who feel they have been wrongly accused of Internet piracy. However, if users decide to ignore warnings; the draft plan gives the Secretary of State powers to not only slow down users connections but to cut them off entirely (although such a measure would have to be cleared through parliament separately before it is implemented).

This draft comes as a result of the controversial Digital Economy Act which is due to go into action this year. Ofcom hope that this specific plan will be implemented by early 2011.

Link: http://www.neowin.net/news/ofcom039s-new-plans-for-internet-piracy

---

So that means ANOTHER database with our information on it! Nice one :rolleyes:

Caution
31-05-2010, 09:34 AM
It wont work and there will always be ways to get round the system.

AgnesIO
31-05-2010, 09:36 AM
If it tops people downloading things like Windows I am for it.

Luke
31-05-2010, 09:38 AM
Since when was the post office one of the largest ISPs?

xxMATTGxx
31-05-2010, 09:43 AM
Since when was the post office one of the largest ISPs?

It probably has a connection with BT somewhere.

Luke
31-05-2010, 09:48 AM

But BT's already listed D:
ah well.

Special
31-05-2010, 10:03 AM
so what are they acctually doing im none the wiser after the article

xxMATTGxx
31-05-2010, 10:09 AM
so what are they acctually doing im none the wiser after the article

Under the new system, users who break piracy laws will be logged in a central database along with their name and the number of offenses they have committed. This new central database will be accessible by music companies and movie studios so they can decide whether to take legal action against "serial" offenders. However, there is no need to get instantly worried as any offenders will be sent three warning letters before any legal action can be taken against them.

That bit? :P

Special
31-05-2010, 10:16 AM
That bit? :P

oh thanks but i dont think this new system will work lol

Kieran
31-05-2010, 10:16 AM
Not going to stop me downloading. Lol

myke
31-05-2010, 10:21 AM
that's rude. i don't like the idea of them storing information about me.
fgs ;l

xxMATTGxx
31-05-2010, 10:21 AM
Not going to stop me downloading. Lol

Probably won't stop a lot of people. But they are going to have a store a ton of information regarding what we do on the internet then. ;/

Special
31-05-2010, 10:23 AM
that's rude. i don't like the idea of them storing information about me.
fgs ;l

me too. oh well still doing to download

Kieran
31-05-2010, 10:26 AM
Probably won't stop a lot of people. But they are going to have a store a ton of information regarding what we do on the internet then. ;/

They can do their worst. I'll just use various means of hiding my visibility when downloading torrents etc.
I wont stop until I've got that third letter.

Recursion
31-05-2010, 10:41 AM
How long do you reckon it'll be before this database's backup DVD is lost on a train? ;)

Rapidshare
31-05-2010, 11:30 AM
Too big to be on a DVD tbh.

LMS16
31-05-2010, 11:57 AM

I do believe BT was the first ISP hence the "British Telecoms", then they split the company up into smaller companies (karoo, Talktalk, Cobus ect..) so everything runs through BT, I heared this somewhere so sorry if im wrong :)

Lew.

Luke
31-05-2010, 12:05 PM
I do believe BT was the first ISP hence the "British Telecoms", then they split the company up into smaller companies (karoo, Talktalk, Cobus ect..) so everything runs through BT, I heared this somewhere so sorry if im wrong :)

Lew.

Alot of them use BT's lines, but they're not all sister companies of BT. And Post-Office can't be big, every single review I've read is 1 star. Apparently, they're uber **** ;p

xxMATTGxx
31-05-2010, 12:28 PM
Alot of them use BT's lines, but they're not all sister companies of BT. And Post-Office can't be big, every single review I've read is 1 star. Apparently, they're uber **** ;p

Well ok, remove Post Office from that list. Either way all ISPs will be affected at one point or another. :P

Luke
31-05-2010, 01:46 PM
I'm surprised talk-talk are there, thought they were 'majorly' against it?

xxMATTGxx
31-05-2010, 02:03 PM
I'm surprised talk-talk are there, thought they were 'majorly' against it?

The draft code of practice, which Ofcom was ordered to draw up by the controversial Digital Economy Act, was immediately attacked by TalkTalk, the UK's second largest ISP.

"Ofcom's draft code of practice is a valiant attempt to implement the Digital Economy Act's proposals, but we think it has the potential to turn into a bureaucratic dog's breakfast," said a TalkTalk spokesman. "As the code stands, millions of customers would be at risk of being falsely accused of copyright infringement, being falsely put on to an 'offenders' register' and so potentially taken to court. There is little in the draft code about protecting customers from receiving misleading or bullying letters."

TalkTalk is also worried about the lack of consideration of data protection issues and there is little in the draft code about how the regulator will ensure customers can access fair and just appeals. "The draft code exempts smaller ISPs and mobile operators, which seems arbitrary and could lead to market distortion," the spokesman added. "Finally, the way Ofcom has designed the rules may kill off public Wi-Fi networks."

Consumer and citizens' rights groups, meanwhile, called for the fair treatment of customers accused of copyright infringement using filesharing networks.

"Consumers face considerable confusion while Ofcom tries to work out how to implement new laws under the Digital Economy Act," said Robert Hammond, head of post and digital communications at Consumer Focus. "The aim should be to encourage suspected copyright infringers to use legal alternatives and achieving this rests on the process of notification being seen by consumers as fair and helpful."

Jim Killock, executive director of the Open Rights Group warned that "letters being sent out could cause a lot of worry and fear". "People may feel they are under surveillance," Killock said.

"This is another extremely rushed process, forced by the Digital Economy Act's absurd timetables. There are huge unanswered questions, not least whether innocent people will have to pay to appeal," he added.

The code of practice applies to ISPs with over 400,000 customers, meaning that it will initially apply to BT, TalkTalk, Virgin Media, Sky, Orange, O2 and the Post Office, who together control 96% of the market. Ofcom, however, will review unlawful filesharing activity on a quarterly basis and can extend the code to cover smaller ISPs and the mobile phone companies if it spreads.

They are.

Recursion
31-05-2010, 04:05 PM
Too big to be on a DVD tbh.

It's plain text, it wouldn't be much bigger than DVD if at all

Oleh
31-05-2010, 11:33 PM
Im guessing a simple vpn would bypass the whole detection? if so when august comes its giganews for me

GommeInc
01-06-2010, 12:18 AM
Hmmm, can't say it really affects me. I download musics legally and have done for a very long time. You'd think they would give this up, seeing as the government wants to make cuts and this seems like an expensive act to follow.

Black_Apalachi
01-06-2010, 12:33 AM
Erm, I was worried until the bit about the three strikes thing and the list; - the first two letters will just be ignored and the chances of even getting the first one at all are very slim. So basically I'm safe because I have an ISP nobody has ever heard of? All this can possibly do is reduce the turnover of; BT, Talk Talk, Virgin Media, Sky, Orange, O2 and Post Office when everybody runs off to companies not on that list, lol.

Oleh
01-06-2010, 12:34 AM
Plus the majority of people i know who download illegally (personally) are too young to be able to afford things they want e.g music (£1 a song isnt it), software (photoshop is like £400, which teenage aspiring photoshopper has that kind of money, my friend designs covers for clubs and upcoming rappers even he doesnt have enough money to get it yet.)

brandon
01-06-2010, 12:46 AM
Erm, I was worried until the bit about the three strikes thing and the list; - the first two letters will just be ignored and the chances of even getting the first one at all are very slim. So basically I'm safe because I have an ISP nobody has ever heard of? All this can possibly do is reduce the turnover of; BT, Talk Talk, Virgin Media, Sky, Orange, O2 and Post Office when everybody runs off to companies not on that list, lol.

Didn't you have the same one as I had, Opal Telecom? That's Talk Talk.

Black_Apalachi
01-06-2010, 12:48 AM
Didn't you have the same one as I had, Opal Telecom? That's Talk Talk.

Nope ours is Utility Warehouse. That internet speed test thing must be lying or something

-:Undertaker:-
01-06-2010, 01:49 AM
I feel very strongly on the issue of democracy/civil liberties so in my reply i'll cover it in general.

Hmmm, can't say it really affects me. I download musics legally and have done for a very long time. You'd think they would give this up, seeing as the government wants to make cuts and this seems like an expensive act to follow.

Oh no certainly not, our government much prefers to target and make criminals out of taxpayers and teenagers rather than fight real crime and build more prisons. The same goes for all other areas where they'd rather cut services here rather than cut foreign aid or the direct EU payments.

The news story anyway, the only solution is to move provider if possible. I am no expert on internet or computing but the only way to beat these people is to play hide and seek - face it, as it stands you cannot vote these people out (runs up the chain of political command also) so therefore you'll just have to play hide and seek. I am sure there is a law though which prevents private companies from being able to fine you but they can take you to court - my advice would be to let them take you to court as it will loose them money which most likely leads to them not doing so in the first place. You must stand upto these people, everyone must otherwise we cease to be a democracy.

The database issue, well this is just a small part of it. Little do most people know but their civil liberties have been trampled upon over the past decade or so by the introduction of the European Arrest Warrant, ID cards, government databases and fingerprinting. If you want this to stop then theres one option; stop voting for them.

HotelUser
01-06-2010, 01:53 AM
If it tops people downloading things like Windows I am for it.

Honestly Tom the only people downloading Windows are looking to upgrade from Vista to Windows 7. They should be able to do that for free anyway :P

xxMATTGxx
01-06-2010, 08:31 AM
Honestly Tom the only people downloading Windows are looking to upgrade from Vista to Windows 7. They should be able to do that for free anyway :P

Well Apple didn't do Snow Leopard for free, so why should Microsoft? ;)

Recursion
01-06-2010, 08:33 AM

Dude, I'm Tom, Android is someone else, THIS IS LIKE THE 1290472389473489572389047895 TIME YOU'VE DONE THIS.

I changed my name from Android like a year ago. LOL

GommeInc
01-06-2010, 12:39 PM
Dude, I'm Tom, Android is someone else, THIS IS LIKE THE 1290472389473489572389047895 TIME YOU'VE DONE THIS.

I changed my name from Android like a year ago. LOL
You both have had the name Android? :S I just assumed one died and the other one took on the corpse :P

And as MattGarner said, why didn't Apple release Snow Leopard for free? :P At least there were huge differences between Vista and 7. The only main difference between Leopard and Snow Leopard was the nifty function to remove everything on your hard-drive just by using the guest account, and that had little to no practical uses or warning!

AgnesIO
01-06-2010, 08:29 PM

Why would Microsoft let people upgrade for free. I can't see Adobe giving free upgrades to CS5 for people who bought CS4? Nor apple with their os, or people who bout 'Fifa 09' or any other games at that point?

---

Sorry Tom :L Will change my name soon - when I chose it I didn't really think about you having the name :P

Moh
01-06-2010, 08:33 PM
ISP's only target uploaders, most the uploads are done in the USA, so all's good :)

Apolva
01-06-2010, 08:34 PM
Why would Microsoft let people upgrade for free. I can't see Adobe giving free upgrades to CS5 for people who bought CS4? Nor apple with their os, or people who bout 'Fifa 09' or any other games at that point?

I think he's referring to the amount of issues people have with vista which are fixed in 7 (thus unhappy customers).

Moh
01-06-2010, 08:36 PM
I think he's referring to the amount of issues people have with vista which are fixed in 7 (thus unhappy customers).
Didn't MS say Windows 7 is how Vista should have been too?!

xxMATTGxx
01-06-2010, 09:13 PM

I see but you can see the differences in Windows 7. When Snow Leopard came out, many people were reporting that it should of just been released as a free update. But never mind!

Didn't MS say Windows 7 is how Vista should have been too?!

Something like that. :P

Apolva
01-06-2010, 09:37 PM
When Snow Leopard came out, many people were reporting that it should of just been released as a free update. But never mind!

True, although they charged quite a lot underneath which required a fresh reinstall anyway (I think).

peteyt
03-06-2010, 05:59 PM
If I got a letter i'd stop.

Question is - how do they identify the downloads? I mean its like I heard something a while back about ISPs stopping people who use P2P software - the problem is the software is legal - will they be able to tell the difference between legal and illegal torrents and so on?

Recursion
03-06-2010, 06:32 PM
If I got a letter i'd stop.

Question is - how do they identify the downloads? I mean its like I heard something a while back about ISPs stopping people who use P2P software - the problem is the software is legal - will they be able to tell the difference between legal and illegal torrents and so on?

They'll have hashes and things to check against the files in question, AFAIK BitTorrent and general P2P traffic is unencrypted without user intervention, you can see what the user is downloading. Right now it's just firms connected to swarms and noting down all the IPs of people downloading/uploading questionable files

Black_Apalachi
04-06-2010, 11:06 PM
How far along is this? If it's just plans they wish to propose then I can't see it happening to be fair.

Rapidshare
05-06-2010, 12:53 AM
People need to realize that there are ways that things can be bypassed and hidden.

To me, its nothing special, all you just need is a seedbox or a VPS/VPN and your sorted.

Heck, even being on a private tracker is good enough most of the time.

Recursion
05-06-2010, 11:31 AM
People need to realize that there are ways that things can be bypassed and hidden.

To me, its nothing special, all you just need is a seedbox or a VPS/VPN and your sorted.

Heck, even being on a private tracker is good enough most of the time.

We know how to hide, it's just the principle, our country is becoming a(n even bigger) nanny state.

-Sweex
05-06-2010, 11:33 AM
As soon as I get a letter I would stop. Not risking my internet being cut-off I couldn't live without it!

Firehorse
05-06-2010, 11:44 AM
Looks like its time to switch to a smaller ISP... I'm not big on illegal downloads but this kind of thing really makes me paranoid about downloading any file from an unofficial website.

I do use spotify to get my music now and prefer streaming it, but these rules are unbalancing the system quite a bit.

Niall!
05-06-2010, 12:14 PM
SSL encrypted Usenet
No chance of catching me.

Recursion
05-06-2010, 12:30 PM
SSL encrypted Usenet
No chance of catching me.

USENET is dieing.

Niall!
05-06-2010, 02:13 PM
USENET is dieing.

How so?

Recursion
05-06-2010, 02:17 PM
How so?

Well ok, not so much "dieing".

It's beginning to be targeted in the same way as Torrent sites.

Niall!
06-06-2010, 03:03 PM
Well ok, not so much "dieing".

It's beginning to be targeted in the same way as Torrent sites.

They'll give up. If properly encrypted even your ISP don't know what you're downloading.

Hitman
06-06-2010, 03:05 PM
VPN, simple.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!