PDA

View Full Version : changing a laptop fan

Richie
31-05-2010, 11:13 AM
compaq presario cq50

I've tried to locate how I can get into the fan in the past but failed, I'd imagine its through under the keyboard, but I've tried that before and couldn't see a way access to the fan.

any ideas?

MattFr
31-05-2010, 11:16 AM
Take it to someone that can do it.

Edited by Catzsy (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not make pointless posts.

Recursion
31-05-2010, 04:10 PM
Take it to someone that can do it.

Edited by Catzsy (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not make pointless posts.

Agreed.

It's quite hard to change a laptop fan, a lot of the time they are propietary, not things you could really buy in a consumer shop.

Catzsy
31-05-2010, 04:12 PM
Agreed.

It's quite hard to change a laptop fan, a lot of the time they are propietary, not things you could really buy in a consumer shop.

To clarify the member was asking for help - if the member had expanded his answer as you have then it would have positively contributed to the thread. Having heard your advice I would agree that would be the best course of action fro Richie. Thanks :)

Apolva
31-05-2010, 04:51 PM
If it's gots warranty (I'm assuming it hasn't) then send it to get fixed.

Recursion's point about it being difficult to replace is quite valid (I'd probably get someone to repair it), nonetheless a quick google search found this, meaning it must be in some way possible: http://www.pchub.com/uph/laptop/88-38777-11097/Compaq-Presario-CQ50-Series-Cooling-Fan-.html

The fan itself can be seen here, on step 17: http://www.insidemylaptop.com/remove-motherboard-from-compaq-presario-cq50-cq60-cq70-laptop/

Kieran
31-05-2010, 05:00 PM
Find yourself the tech guide for it. I found one for my old laptop and using it I was able to take it all apart, fix it and put it all back together :)

N!ck
31-05-2010, 05:08 PM
It depends on the laptop. For instance a laptop that I was looking at the other day had a load of star and triangular shaped screws on it that you need the right tools to get out.

Richie
31-05-2010, 05:10 PM
its not broke but i know its blocked cos it overheats easily

Apolva
31-05-2010, 05:15 PM

In that case I'd go into BIOS and check the fan speed. Mine can get very hot (same with a lot of them), especially when it's not on a flat surface.

Don't they come with dust filters anyway? :S

MattFr
31-05-2010, 05:18 PM
Put dust filters in it if it doesn't. The amount of dust that collects on the dust filter infront of 2 120mm fans is unbelievable.

Richie
31-05-2010, 05:23 PM
at im using a cooler, whats a dust filter?

Robbie
31-05-2010, 05:34 PM

Nah. You have the same laptop as me and my sister and both ours did it. It's crap design by compaq.

Markeh
31-05-2010, 10:11 PM
Put dust filters in it if it doesn't. The amount of dust that collects on the dust filter infront of 2 120mm fans is unbelievable.

Hate to say it, but your right, Matt. My side panel of my rig has mesh infront of the 2 side fans (no filters, just mesh), and the amount of dust on those after 14 DAYS was quite surprising.

N!ck
31-05-2010, 10:21 PM
Hate to say it, but your right, Matt. My side panel of my rig has mesh infront of the 2 side fans (no filters, just mesh), and the amount of dust on those after 14 DAYS was quite surprising.

Yeah, all of my intake fans now have dust filters. Here's a picture of my 120mm at the side. The middle is where the fan motor is so of course no airflow/dust collects there. The flash makes it look whiter than it is.

http://i45.tinypic.com/dxxoqr.jpg

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!