PDA

View Full Version : swear words

dbgtz
09-06-2010, 05:09 PM
i think it should be allowed in the same sense as habbo, you can swear but just not anyone.

dirrty
09-06-2010, 05:12 PM
why do you think we need to swear though? we don't. it's not necessary and we can easily make a post without swearing. and tbh with the filter, people still generally know what someone is trying to say - plus having loads of swear words in posts just make em look uh-gah-ley.

Caution
09-06-2010, 05:12 PM
wont happen, this forum treats you like a 4 yr old.

Sharon
09-06-2010, 05:14 PM
Well having words like **** (censored) is more ugly

W00TZEH
09-06-2010, 05:14 PM
fine as it is, you don't need to swear.

dirrty
09-06-2010, 05:16 PM
Well having words like **** (censored) is more ugly
well because theres a filter, people don't swear that often. so even though we see the stars, it's not really that frequent compared to 'normal' words. but if there wasn't a filter, i think members would swear more just because they can. having an inch and taking a mile imo.

Blob
09-06-2010, 05:17 PM
swearing will only look ugly if people choose to turn it off, meaning they don't mind seeing them in the first place.

Nixt
09-06-2010, 05:19 PM
No. No. No! :P This has been explained countless times over. From an older thread:

The simple answer to your question is that if we did remove the filter, immaturity would take hold. Even though we do have a lot of older members it is inevitable that the removal of the filter would result in people swearing constantly and using swearing as an insult on a regular basis. No doubt about it. Swearing lowers the tone of discussion and creates a negative atmosphere. There is no need to swear, and I feel the filter has more positives than negatives.

There will be no option to 'turn off' the filter, for the reasons outlined above as well as how it will create numerous moderation issues. Quite simply, it's not going to happen, as much as people will complain and moan - overall, it's best for the forum and thus it will remain that way.

immense
09-06-2010, 05:21 PM
I'd actually quit if the filter was removed (joke never quitting) but it'd be terrible. I think it should be way more lenient though but the words I think should be unfiltered, I know management don't agree. Some of the words are reaaaaaally stupid imo!

Extermz.
09-06-2010, 05:22 PM
There right. There is no reason at all to be swearing.

W00TZEH
09-06-2010, 05:26 PM
I've always wanted know why piss is unfiltered but **** (poo) isnt.

dbgtz
09-06-2010, 05:33 PM
ok then I think swearing should be allowed in some forums
i mean sections like the spam and joke section where it doesnt matter on what the post is really considering, and alot of jokes that are funny have some rudeness to it.

Inseriousity.
09-06-2010, 05:36 PM
on Habbo, you're able to turn the filter off and the default is that it's on. If this is possible on a forum, I'd support that rather than just removing it completely.

immense
09-06-2010, 05:37 PM
on Habbo, you're able to turn the filter off and the default is that it's on. If this is possible on a forum, I'd support that rather than just removing it completely.

Even on Habbo on their official forums don't have it off. On Habbo (the client) it's on the screen for about 30 seconds or so. On a forum it would be there forever and would look silly and uninviting.

Inseriousity.
09-06-2010, 05:38 PM
The default is that filter is on though so it's not uninviting cos guests would just see the stars.
I'm not a forum expert so I just said 'if it were possible' :D

immense
09-06-2010, 05:51 PM
I think the fact it would be abused and be viewable forever is the main reason why it won't happen though. Sulake would have thought about it with paid professionals and their conclusion was to have a filter on habbo group forums you can't turn off. Only useful thing they've done for fansites :L

Hecktix
09-06-2010, 06:15 PM
I swear there have been about three of these threads since I've been Forum Manager :P

As Garion has already highlighted, the answer was no last time and it's most definitely no this time too and whilst I am at it, I'll say no for next time too :P

dbgtz
09-06-2010, 09:34 PM
Is it not even possible to have one or 2 sections where swearing is fine? Joke/spam.

Nixt
09-06-2010, 09:47 PM
No, simply because when we have became more lenient on areas before this gives way to members wanting more and more. If we remove the filter in some forums, members will want it across more forums and when we go on to say no it will be considered (rightly) unfair that we should allow it in some forums and not others given that there are probably reasonable arguments for the removal of the filter in a lot of individual forums.

Specifically in regard to removing the filter in spam - definitely not. This forum is where a lot of bullying and rule breaking takes place or has its roots and therefore it would only encourage and increase rule breaking.

Specifically in regard to removing the filter in the jokes forum - most jokes that require swearing are inappropriate anyway, and therefore not suitable for this forum.

Swearing is not a necessity and overall quality of discussion is upheld if we do not allow swearing anywhere.

FlyingJesus
09-06-2010, 09:48 PM

As I and others say literally every time this comes up - having the filter optional is tantamount to removing it (which is a bad move). No-one would bother keeping it on because they'd miss out on half the "conversations" that would crop up, and Habbo is a good enough example of this, as pretty much no-one keeps the filter on once they learn how to have it off.

GommeInc
10-06-2010, 12:23 AM
I'd rather talk to a person with some sense of language than someone who has to resort to swear words to describe their feelings :/ Abbreviations which are known to contain swear words are fine though ;)

HotelUser
10-06-2010, 01:37 AM
why do you think we need to swear though? we don't. it's not necessary and we can easily make a post without swearing. and tbh with the filter, people still generally know what someone is trying to say - plus having loads of swear words in posts just make em look uh-gah-ley.

I really agree with this. It's not necessary and it's going to demerit the quality of our posts.

Stephen
10-06-2010, 01:44 AM
can you make it so only i can't see the filter then

leer34$
10-06-2010, 05:01 AM
Why would you want to swear?
No-one need's to swear & no-one should on a Public Forum.

Blinger$
10-06-2010, 05:58 AM
Why would you want to swear?
No-one need's to swear & no-one should on a Public Forum.
It gets the point across easier.

Kyle
10-06-2010, 06:26 AM
It gets the point across easier.

Only for people that have a vocabulary of ten words. There are plenty of other words you can use.

I do however disagree with abbrevs like lm*f*ao being filtered.

Blinger$
10-06-2010, 06:27 AM
Only for people that have a vocabulary of ten words. There are plenty of other words you can use.

I do however disagree with abbrevs like lm*f*ao being filtered.
if you are pissed really really off there really aren't many words to describe how angry you are..

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!