PDA

View Full Version : I still think the 'need to spread' rep quota is too high

Black_Apalachi
10-06-2010, 10:54 PM
I don't know the numbers but I say 'still' because I believe it was reduced not too long ago?

Admittedly I don't give out rep very much at all (mainly because I just don't think about it, more than anything else) but over the past couple of weeks I've been making an effort to show my appreciation of good posts more often. However pretty much every time I tried to rep somebody today and yesterday it wouldn't let me because I need to spread. From what I can tell I'm not the only one either as most members seem to give out a lot less rep on average than in days gone by.

We all know how much smaller the "main community" is in terms of how it used to be. So it's only natural that the same people will pop up with decent posts that you want to rep very often but it's unfair on them that the system prevents it. I think it's safe to say that the majority don't care *as much as they used to* about rep points so I think we're long past the days where it would be abused if the quota was really low. Of course there's the other extreme - where people will abuse -rep but I know that I very rarely give out -rep (and I only do so after someone has made at least 3 or 4 posts which deserve it). Similarly, I very rarely ever receive -rep (and most of the ones I do get end up being reversed).

Anyway, it doesn't have to be stupidly low, just lower than whatever it is now (somebody will have to enlighten me as to what it currently is, sorry). :P What do you think - do you find that you still experience the same difficulty with repping people or do you reckon things are just fine the way they are?

Jamesy
10-06-2010, 10:59 PM
it's currently set to 30. I don't personally see any harm in reducing it, though management may have a reason again it :)

Black_Apalachi
10-06-2010, 11:00 PM
Cool, what was it before it was reduced to 30?

Blinger$
10-06-2010, 11:01 PM
The argument is pretty much always the same, people will just pointlessly rep to rep someone else again. And if we lower it then people can give out more rep then what its intended for. blahblahblah.

also, how many can we give out per day? 10?

edit: i thought 50.

Black_Apalachi
10-06-2010, 11:33 PM
People only pointlessly rep because they need to spread it in order to be allowed to rep somebody else who already deserves it. I have noticed less pointless reps since the last reduction so reducing the limit again will only reduce pointless rep even further. :)

FlyingJesus
10-06-2010, 11:34 PM
As if there are 30 people who deserve my rep let's be honest

hah
10-06-2010, 11:35 PM
yeah tbh 30 is too high lol
i gave people rep months ago and i still cant give them it

Tintinnabulate
10-06-2010, 11:39 PM
The argument is pretty much always the same, people will just pointlessly rep to rep someone else again. And if we lower it then people can give out more rep then what its intended for. blahblahblah.

also, how many can we give out per day? 10?

edit: i thought 50.

50 was the old limit :)
Maybe it should be reduced to 20?

jackass
10-06-2010, 11:40 PM
30 is far too high. I think 10, but y'know! :P

Black_Apalachi
10-06-2010, 11:40 PM
Even if they wanna keep it at 30, it should reset after a week or even a few days or something

Kyle
11-06-2010, 12:12 AM
you can only give like 10 a day too

reduce it to 15-20

immense
11-06-2010, 12:24 AM
I'd half it to 15, way too high imo.

Hecktix
11-06-2010, 07:12 AM
Have to say I was pleased to see this thread.

I don't want it lowered to an amount that people can just give out pointless rep until they can rep their friend again.

My original thought was 20 although that could still be too high still so I am tempted to say 15.

I don't think it'll cause many problems so you may see this quite soon :)

Aidenn
11-06-2010, 07:55 AM
15 Seems great, actually

Is it also possible to have things like an experiation date - aka if you havent rep'd 15 people during a certain set time, it resets so the same person can be rep'd again? :L

xxMATTGxx
11-06-2010, 08:20 AM

I don't want it lowered to an amount that people can just give out pointless rep until they can rep their friend again.

My original thought was 20 although that could still be too high still so I am tempted to say 15.

Let's do it.

Blinger$
11-06-2010, 09:12 AM

i do it anyway, just disguise it.

immense
11-06-2010, 10:46 AM
yeah but i pointless rep random peeps so i can rep my friends atm

(i dont really but i just want it changed)

Fapin
11-06-2010, 10:51 AM
I dont even know 30 users on here...

Nixt
11-06-2010, 10:55 AM
I dont even know 30 users on here...

You aren't only supposed to +rep friends or people you know. It is for any posts you see that you think deserve it :P

immense
11-06-2010, 10:56 AM
You aren't only supposed to +rep friends or people you know. It is for any posts you see that you think deserve it :P

same point though. there aren't 30 people who post good posts to +rep them for. same people who post good posts (i.e. my friends)

Black_Apalachi
11-06-2010, 11:02 AM
Sounds good Oli :)

15 Seems great, actually

Is it also possible to have things like an experiation date - aka if you havent rep'd 15 people during a certain set time, it resets so the same person can be rep'd again? :L

This is what I was thinking. If you still haven't repped 15 people after like a week, it should reset because you obviously aren't spamming rep.

FlyingJesus
11-06-2010, 11:48 AM
Let's do it.

Sick keep that kind of talk out of feedback :@

leer34$
11-06-2010, 02:33 PM
Maybe 15 in between 10 & 20? :D

buttons
11-06-2010, 05:08 PM
30 is far too high. I think 10, but y'know! :P
then you'd be able to rep same person every few days
everyone would abuse it (i definitely would)
i think it's fine as it is both the amount of people you can rep daily (i normally only find 4 or 5 good posts to rep every 2 days or so O.o) and the amount of people you need to rep before you can again...

jackass
11-06-2010, 05:12 PM
i think it's fine as it is both the amount of people you can rep daily (i normally only find 4 or 5 good posts to rep every 2 days or so O.o) and the amount of people you need to rep before you can again...

But you no one does? :S

Black_Apalachi
11-06-2010, 05:22 PM

But that means you have to wait roughly two weeks to rep somebody again. Don't you find that there's always a few people who 90% of the time post things you like an want to rep?

Tintinnabulate
11-06-2010, 05:33 PM
15 Seems great, actually

That's not possible.

AgnesIO
11-06-2010, 08:09 PM

I am not arguing since you have agreed (nice to see haha), but just thought I should point out people are more likely to give pointless rep on a large limit because they won't be ble to rep there mates for ages again :P

I have received a few +Rep's saying 'need to spread', being a good citizen etc I actually reported two of them, kept a few mainly because it made up for some lame -rep's lol

But yeh good idea :-)

Catzsy
11-06-2010, 08:42 PM
Good decision Guys. I have felt for awhile it is a bit harsh. This should help matters. :)

Special
11-06-2010, 08:49 PM
30 is kinda high tbh, i think 20 too

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!