PDA

View Full Version : MacBook won't boot OS X

Recursion
16-06-2010, 02:33 PM
Hey,

A few days ago my MacBook started running through a progress bar on each boot and would only boot into OS X sometimes, now it just flashes a folder with a quetion mark on, so I tried repairing the disk in Disk Utils on the Snow Leopard install DVD but it came up with this:

Can't repair this disk... disk, and restore your backed-up files
I find it hard to believe the drive is dead as I only put it in two months ago! It's a 320GB Western Digital drive, and it was working fine a few days ago, when it does boot I can access my files just fine and Windows 7 works flawlessly on my Bootcamp partition.

Any help? Dave just said let it run through the progress bar when it started happening but it seems to have gotten worse and seeing as I don't know too much about Macs I'm fairly lost.

I should also mention before I shut it down, it wouldn't save my Network settings I kept trying to put in, and Safari said it wasn't connected to the internet, but I could ping my internal network fine.

Thanks

Luke
16-06-2010, 02:44 PM
Try selecting startup disk (x key i believe)

If not, reset your PRAM

Recursion
16-06-2010, 02:47 PM
It's just showing a progress bar again when I select the disk, I have already reset the PRAM once but ill try again.

I wish I could get into Single User or Verbose mode, but apparently whatever it's doing that needs a progress bar won't let me see what it is doing and as I say, I can't save my network settings or anything when it does boot.

Apolva
16-06-2010, 03:26 PM
Obtain a copy of this: http://www.alsoft.com/diskwarrior/index.html

Has fixed many boot issues for me.

Edit: in fact I think it fixed the exact same issue you are having.

Recursion
16-06-2010, 05:09 PM
Nevermind, I just reinstalled in the end.

+Rep.

EDIT: Both of you, I need to spread lol

N!ck
16-06-2010, 05:42 PM
This damn-fangled thing that "just works" eh?

Flisker
16-06-2010, 06:28 PM
Yep it works less more than a pc

Recursion
16-06-2010, 07:06 PM
Apparently that progress bar was FSCK trying to fix my partition, but in doing that it meant I couldnt actually enter verbose mode to see WHAT it was doing ¬_¬ Conunter-intuitive much?

Anyways, I formatted the partition and it's fine :/

HotelUser
17-06-2010, 08:29 PM

Yeah! How dare OS X do tha-- ;)

But in all seriousness you're right, they tend to direct that towards both hardware and software. I can't say I was a fan of Macbooks until recently. My mom bought one. I have to say it's built nicer than I thought it would be. I really like the power plug being magnetic (her old laptop broke because someone had tripped over the power cord which cause the unit to fall). The screen's rediculously clear and the touchpad's like the best thing ever. I'm kind of annoyed now, because I was going to purchase a netbook for my classes in University, but after having seen her macbook, I kind of want one.

N!ck
17-06-2010, 09:20 PM
Yeah! How dare OS X do tha-- ;)

But in all seriousness you're right, they tend to direct that towards both hardware and software. I can't say I was a fan of Macbooks until recently. My mom bought one. I have to say it's built nicer than I thought it would be. I really like the power plug being magnetic (her old laptop broke because someone had tripped over the power cord which cause the unit to fall). The screen's rediculously clear and the touchpad's like the best thing ever. I'm kind of annoyed now, because I was going to purchase a netbook for my classes in University, but after having seen her macbook, I kind of want one.

Lol, netbook FTL.

MacBooks are nice to use though. Lots of people at university have them.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!