PDA

View Full Version : 'You're dead' cancer patient told

hah
18-06-2010, 01:00 PM
A health trust has launched an investigation after a cancer patient was allegedly told he could not book a hospital appointment - because he was dead.

Alan Campbell, 63, received the startling information from a telephone operator when he tried to set a date to see a doctor.

The former lorry driver, of Little Harwood, Blackburn, Lancashire, has had three operations to treat skin cancer on his cheek and nose.

When he started having throat pains, he became worried the disease might have spread.

His GP gave him a code to arrange an appointment with the NHS Choose and Book system, but a telephone operator told him he could not set a date because their records showed he was "deceased".

Mr Campbell, who has also survived a stroke and a heart attack, said: "I rang on Saturday and was told I could see a consultant on June 29.

"But then they said, 'Sorry, we can't give you an appointment, our records show you are deceased'.

"I said you're joking, I'm only 63, I'm talking to you, aren't I?' But they said 'you'll have to go back to your GP on Monday to get it sorted out'.

"I couldn't believe it. I was flabbergasted.

lmao how are some people so stupid

GommeInc
18-06-2010, 01:03 PM
Makes you wonder how the system got the idea he was dead, it must of had some user input :S

Not really that shocking, though if time is of the essence then it would have to be sorted ASAP.

Accipiter
18-06-2010, 01:03 PM
should have acted like a ghost, seeing as he's considered dead.

Black_Apalachi
18-06-2010, 02:03 PM
lmao how are some people so stupid

I'm guessing the data is input from a list of patients or whatever by some receptionist so how would they be to know any different? Ironic post much

Moh
18-06-2010, 02:12 PM
Shame he didn't have any loans needing paying back :(

Special
18-06-2010, 02:16 PM
I said you're joking

lol did he think he was acctually dead

Wig44.
18-06-2010, 03:55 PM
Cancer, stroke, heart attack... what is he doing? That said, poor fella, sounds like he has had some tough times.

Josh
18-06-2010, 04:08 PM
He could go commit crimes and then have an awesome allyby; I WAS DEAD. jeez.

So stupid.

Soy
18-06-2010, 05:52 PM
flabbergasted lol

GommeInc
18-06-2010, 06:33 PM
I'm guessing the data is input from a list of patients or whatever by some receptionist so how would they be to know any different? Ironic post much
But surely a receptionist would be given the information to read in front of them? Last I checked they did it instantly rather than have it built up :P Quite a lot of medical centres and hospitals have the doctors treating the patient deal with this, it seems strange they labelled him dead when they would have the information infront of them, seeing as death is quite important :P Very strange!

hah
18-06-2010, 07:40 PM

sorry i had some trouble understanding that, could you tell me how my post is ironic?

Tintinnabulate
18-06-2010, 09:57 PM
Would be interesting to know how the mistake happened.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!