PDA

View Full Version : Best Final Fantasy to Date?

lukeisok
18-06-2010, 03:52 PM
In my opinion I feel that the best Final Fantasys were 8 and 13.

8 Because of the Amazing graphics (at the time) and 13 for the first female lead in the series.

What about yours and also your reasons? :eusa_danc

samsaBEAR
18-06-2010, 04:42 PM
Didn't FF10 and 10-2 have female leads?
But definintely agree with 8, it was my first FF and has always been my favourite, I've played every game before 9, and 10-2 and 8 remains the best for me. There's one on SNES that is a closed second, I can't remember which one though

Axel
18-06-2010, 04:58 PM
and 13 for the first female lead in the series.

6/10-2?

9 is my favourite though, not only was it the first I played personally (although I had watched others play 8 & 9), but I just feel it is the best in the series. I dunno what it is about it, but everything just seems the best about it (bar graphics of course). Both 9 & 10 felt the most like an 'adventure' in my opinion, maybe because there was more character interaction in general, what with 7 & 8 being led by dull characters. Also, 9 is my favourite story, and 9 has the best soundtrack, but again, this is all just opinion.

And if it means anything, FF9 is the highest on metacritic (with a score of 94/100). Next down is the likes of 7 & 10 with a score of 92.

13 is definately not the best FF, seriously. FF has really gone downhill, and it just doesn't feel like FF anymore, rather the newer games in the series are just bad games with the FF title slapped on them to make them sell.

Coheed&Cambria
18-06-2010, 10:26 PM
pfft, 13 is mediocre and has nothing on any Final fantasy up to 9.

FlyingJesus
18-06-2010, 10:30 PM
VIII is incredible. Never really understood FFVII fanboys when the game has so little to it, I absolutely loved the customisability of VIII as well as the storylines and character development - especially with the end video when everything fits into place. X for the sphere grid and weapon setup was also very enjoyable as it meant you could truly make your own characters, never played any past that though, with the exception of a few minutes on X-2 before getting bored of the women

Axel
18-06-2010, 10:57 PM
VIII has the worst battle system I think. Junctioning and drawing is so dull. I think the best battle system, although IX is my favourite, has to go with X. With X, you could switch party members in and out during battles, and each monster had to be handled a different way, like Rikku dealing with machina, Wakka with anything flying, Auron with stuff with body armour etc, and the sphere grid was brilliant up until the point where everyone could unlock everything on the grid, and Yuna was hitting 99999 with her staff.

samsaBEAR
19-06-2010, 04:44 PM
VIII is incredible. Never really understood FFVII fanboys when the game has so little to it, I absolutely loved the customisability of VIII as well as the storylines and character development - especially with the end video when everything fits into place. X for the sphere grid and weapon setup was also very enjoyable as it meant you could truly make your own characters, never played any past that though, with the exception of a few minutes on X-2 before getting bored of the women
X-2 was a lot better when you got further into it. The whole Job/Dress spheres thing I thought worked so well.

VIII has the worst battle system I think. Junctioning and drawing is so dull. I think the best battle system, although IX is my favourite, has to go with X. With X, you could switch party members in and out during battles, and each monster had to be handled a different way, like Rikku dealing with machina, Wakka with anything flying, Auron with stuff with body armour etc, and the sphere grid was brilliant up until the point where everyone could unlock everything on the grid, and Yuna was hitting 99999 with her staff.
I agree with the drawing aspect, but I loved junctioning and picking with GF to give to which character to unlock which stat to junction magic too. Having said that I always gave Squall the GF that let me junction magic to health and strength and gave him 99 Regen and 99 Ultima haha

iMartyn
19-06-2010, 04:53 PM
Well I came into the series at FF8 which was pretty awesome, the card game in that is still one of the best things ever in Final Fantasy and I'm gutted they haven't carried it though.

BUT!!!

My favorite title so far is definitely Final Fantasy X because it had the wow factor graphically with it being the most impressive PS2 game to date when it came out and Blitzball was f'ing amazing.

:)

FlyingJesus
19-06-2010, 05:01 PM
noob4lyfe you use Aura for str because it's easier to get hold of (I never bothered getting Ultimas because it takes too long and magic is pretty crap for damage late in the game anyway) then Full-life on HP, Meltdown on vit, Hastega on spd... actually I might be talking crap I haven't played in ages, brb looking for my discs :P

amarj
20-06-2010, 11:23 AM
The one thing I hated in FF8 was that the monster levelled with you, so there was no point in levelling.

My favourite has to be VII and X

samsaBEAR
20-06-2010, 01:11 PM
noob4lyfe you use Aura for str because it's easier to get hold of (I never bothered getting Ultimas because it takes too long and magic is pretty crap for damage late in the game anyway) then Full-life on HP, Meltdown on vit, Hastega on spd... actually I might be talking crap I haven't played in ages, brb looking for my discs :P
Well 99 Regen always gave me 9999 life, but I think you're right about Aura. I'd love to play it but my second disc is broken, I can't get past the bit where Galbadia invades Balamb and you have to beat up the jetpack guy

FlyingJesus
20-06-2010, 01:22 PM
The one thing I hated in FF8 was that the monster levelled with you, so there was no point in levelling.

My favourite has to be VII and X

The "monsters" that you had to fight in order to progress with the story had this to a much lower degree, so it wouldn't have been possible to win without levelling up as they'd still far outpower you despite the game trying to balance things out a bit. When I first played I hardly trained at all because it was my first FF and I didn't realise I'd have to train to the magnitude that's recommended, so I was only level 40 or something on my main character when I got to Adel on disc 4 and had no chance whatsoever. Would have trained up and tried again but the area you start in on disc 4 only lets you get 1xp per fight lol.

Well 99 Regen always gave me 9999 life, but I think you're right about Aura. I'd love to play it but my second disc is broken, I can't get past the bit where Galbadia invades Balamb and you have to beat up the jetpack guy

I bought a new set of discs a couple years back because my game where I'd levelled everyone massively with like str-bonus hp-bonus kept crashing when I went into battle, then found out it was just the save file had somehow corrupted :( had such gay names for everything/one haha bless my 10 year old self

PaulMacC
20-06-2010, 01:46 PM
I own every game on disc, on PS1 except for III which I have on DS :P
I enjoyed VI a lot because I thought it had the best storyline to date, I loved the 16-bit era, Uematsu composed a masterpiece score and the graphics were amazing for the time. The gameplay is fun. I hate VIII though as the draw system annoys me.

dbgtz
20-06-2010, 03:55 PM
Only played 13 so I guess 13
might by one on the psn because theyre supposedly amazing.

samsaBEAR
21-06-2010, 12:41 PM
The "monsters" that you had to fight in order to progress with the story had this to a much lower degree, so it wouldn't have been possible to win without levelling up as they'd still far outpower you despite the game trying to balance things out a bit. When I first played I hardly trained at all because it was my first FF and I didn't realise I'd have to train to the magnitude that's recommended, so I was only level 40 or something on my main character when I got to Adel on disc 4 and had no chance whatsoever. Would have trained up and tried again but the area you start in on disc 4 only lets you get 1xp per fight lol.

I bought a new set of discs a couple years back because my game where I'd levelled everyone massively with like str-bonus hp-bonus kept crashing when I went into battle, then found out it was just the save file had somehow corrupted :( had such gay names for everything/one haha bless my 10 year old self
I got to Adel and didn't realise that if she killed one of your main party, one of the other three came in. So I had level 99 Squall, Zell and Rinoa, all junctioned up to be awesome with their final weapons, get taken down and replaced with like a level 20 Irvine. Not good.

I own every game on disc, on PS1 except for III which I have on DS :P
I enjoyed VI a lot because I thought it had the best storyline to date, I loved the 16-bit era, Uematsu composed a masterpiece score and the graphics were amazing for the time. The gameplay is fun. I hate VIII though as the draw system annoys me.
In ways I prefer the older games before VII, the graphics weren't as good but they still played out as epic storylines. I like VI, but my favourite has to be the one with the guy who's a Dark Knight but becomes a good one, Cedric maybe? Idk which game it is

FlyingJesus
21-06-2010, 12:56 PM
Isn't that only for Ultimecia that you get characters come through when one dies? Adel's the one who falls from the moon (as you do) and looks like a man. Either way you should have levelled up Irvine, he's far more useful than Rinoa :P never bothered much with the girls other than Quistis for training with her Degenerate limit break

samsaBEAR
21-06-2010, 06:04 PM
Oh wait yeah you're right, I can't remember much of Adel and Disc 3, isn't that where Rinoa gets her next to useless Angel Wings thing. I prefer her dog limit break. Yeah, my current Irvine is better, but I've always preferred Squall, Rinoa and Zell together over anyone else

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!