PDA

View Full Version : Should Britain have a united football team? [ENDS 04/07/2010]

Grig
20-06-2010, 08:14 AM
Should Britain have a united football team?

Ends: 04/07/2010

Football has always been the sport that most in Britain, otherwise known as UK follow. There has always been an overwhelming sense of pride and nationalism for each team. However, England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland all have their own independent football associations with their own leagues and these associations are the ones that pick international teams for world renowned events such as the world cup. Creating such a team would in no doubt be controversial and political sparks will fly. There have been several attempts in such a feat in the past, including creating a united female 'British' football team for the Beijing Olympics (where Britain is represented as one unit), however that was withdrawn a few days before the event due to opposition from various football associations. It is a hot topic of debate in government, as the majority of the previous Labour government, randing from Gordon Brown have all called for this.

Some view if this happens, this would be a great symbol of peace between the various 'kingdoms' within Britain. It would also comprise a team of 11 best players possible, which may increase the chances of winning larger international competitions. It would also make it in line with other sport, such as tennis that don't have divisions between the kingdoms.

Others view this as just another political firestorm waiting to happen. If each country has it's own association, with equal votes in FIFA, then how can they play under a united team? Furthermore, the team may not be equally represented, as the bulk of the players could simply come from England. Some feel this must not happen in order to protect both national identity and pride.

Anyway, now it's your turn to get your teeth into this debate, whether it be sport or political; Should Britain have a united football team, for such events as the Olympics and World Cup?

Becca
20-06-2010, 08:24 AM
I don't think we should, it's a good idea but no. England are just England, the home of football. If we all joined together, there wouldn't be a home of football.

::Art::
20-06-2010, 08:25 AM
No because if you did, Scotland and Wales player probably wouldnt start for the team :P

Becca
20-06-2010, 08:31 AM
Good point to be honest, but would it be better for all of us to join? :S

alexxxxx
20-06-2010, 09:10 AM
i don't think it'd go down very well if i'm honest.

Hollie
20-06-2010, 09:26 AM
It would be a good idea but i dont think it would work tbh.

-:Undertaker:-
20-06-2010, 10:30 AM
No doubt if we did have one, the Welsh, Scottish and Northeren Irish would be overly represented as they are in most other walks of service (subsidies and MPs). With that PC fiasco in mind i'd have to say no to a British football team.

Bun
20-06-2010, 12:19 PM
Really couldn't see it working which is a massive pity for 2012 :(.

Special
20-06-2010, 12:20 PM
proably - it would get ireland & scotland involved more but practically i don't see it working

Becca
20-06-2010, 01:05 PM
proably - it would get ireland & scotland involved more but practically i don't see it working
What he said really, it'll be good for them but we'd just fail after.

FlyingJesus
20-06-2010, 01:15 PM
The only non-English player who we could have used in recent years is Giggs.. maybe Bellamy but everyone hates him for some reason so perhaps not. The only thing this would achieve would be to flood the team with even more inexperienced potentials battling for a space, which would make things even more difficult when picking the final team. There'd probably be pressure to have representation from each nation too, so we'd be forced to play people who
1) aren't good enough,
2) haven't played at the proper level before, and
3) don't gel with the team at all.
I can't see the implementation of it as being beneficial to anyone from any of the countries involved. Needless to say, the smaller parts (in particular the Scots) already have a ridiculous jealousy/hatred of the English national side, so I don't imagine they'd want to merge even if offered. For proof of this we can come back to my earlier example of Giggs, who in his youth could have elected to play for England but instead preferred to stick with his homeland.

AlexOC
20-06-2010, 01:44 PM
Shay Given. Ryan Giggs. Craig Bellamy.

Oh god please.

FlyingJesus
20-06-2010, 01:56 PM
Oh I forgot about Given yeah, we could do with a keeper who knows how to catch lol

Caution
20-06-2010, 02:03 PM
No, it wouldn't work. My Reg teacher has a poster like this (http://www.noteamgb.com/images/No-Team-GB-Logo.jpg) in his room and I can't see how anyone would be for it to be honest.

luce
20-06-2010, 04:23 PM
No because the scots woudln't want to be in it and the welsh and irish have produced about 3 good players who might have broken into it in recently so it would decrease the standard of their football by not giving people an international chance. Also it rules out the rivalry between the countries which is good. The England team is the best but could be improved in a few areas leaving the younger England players no chance to break in there fore i doesn't do anyone any favors.

Swastika
20-06-2010, 06:21 PM
I think a couple of you fail to see that Shay Given plays for the ROI, not Northern Ireland.
Shay Given wouldn't play for a British/UK team, he'd still play for ROI.

I think this UK team is a stupid idea, what's wrong with the current system we have with the Scottish side, Welsh side, Northern Irish side and English side?

Describe
20-06-2010, 08:19 PM
The only non-English player who we could have used in recent years is Giggs.. maybe Bellamy but everyone hates him for some reason so perhaps not. The only thing this would achieve would be to flood the team with even more inexperienced potentials battling for a space, which would make things even more difficult when picking the final team. There'd probably be pressure to have representation from each nation too, so we'd be forced to play people who
1) aren't good enough,
2) haven't played at the proper level before, and
3) don't gel with the team at all.
I can't see the implementation of it as being beneficial to anyone from any of the countries involved. Needless to say, the smaller parts (in particular the Scots) already have a ridiculous jealousy/hatred of the English national side, so I don't imagine they'd want to merge even if offered. For proof of this we can come back to my earlier example of Giggs, who in his youth could have elected to play for England but instead preferred to stick with his homeland.
You could use Craig Gordon in goal! He's far better than Robert Green at least!

Black_Apalachi
21-06-2010, 03:54 AM
What's the point? It would just be England + Giggs. There would be fights after every match with everyone ganging up on the fans of the same nationality as whoever missed the penalty or made the dodgy save. Also I will not give the Americans the chance to call us British without it being incorrect.

And to Van Gogh and the Manc; Shay Given is Irish you mugs :P

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!