PDA

View Full Version : Dad leaps from balcony into pool to rescue drowning son... while lifeguards watch

Hitman
21-06-2010, 02:16 PM
A father was forced to save his drowning son by leaping into a public swimming pool from the spectator gallery as lifeguards watched cluelessly from the side.

Gary Jowett jumped fully-clothed into the deep end when he realised no one was taking action to save four-year-old Daniel, who was floundering helplessly during a swimming lesson and going under the water.
The boy's instructor pressed an emergency alarm button when he realised Daniel was in serious trouble, but the two lifeguards on duty at poolside failed to jump in themselves.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1288306/Father-leaps-pool-rescue-drowning-son-lifeguards-stand-watch.html#ixzz0rUsOQZYf

It wouldn't surprise me if they were not permitted to jump in due to health and safety. :rolleyes: Glad the boy is OK, the lifeguards should be sacked and not be allowed to work as lifeguards again. It's like a police officer just standing at a crime in progress and doing nothing.

Stryderman
21-06-2010, 02:19 PM
They are some pretty crap lifeguards then

AlexOC
21-06-2010, 03:28 PM
When i used to do swimming lessons, somebody fell into the deep end, and the lifeguards didn't even notice, and a few of us had to jump in and help them out.

Hecktix
21-06-2010, 03:30 PM
When i used to do swimming lessons, somebody fell into the deep end, and the lifeguards didn't even notice, and a few of us had to jump in and help them out.

Yeah I've seen that happen before, shocking really, they'd be in so much trouble if the boy died.

Jordy
21-06-2010, 09:13 PM
I don't think it's too bad they didn't spot him, any caring parent would be paying ridiculous amounts of attention to their child in a pool, more than any lifeguard could but it's disgusting they didn't jump in once the emergency alarm was sounded.

Mathew
23-06-2010, 06:07 PM
Reminds me when we were on holiday in Spain a few years ago. Quite an old man was in the swimming pool and my parents were sunbathing. They just both happened to look up from their books and notice him bobbing up and down in the water, making gulping noises. They just jumped in and saved him while the lifeguard continued to flirt with the girls.

Sadly I missed it all while I was at the toilet.. :P

Sharon
29-06-2010, 08:26 PM
Reminds me when we were on holiday in Spain a few years ago. Quite an old man was in the swimming pool and my parents were sunbathing. They just both happened to look up from their books and notice him bobbing up and down in the water, making gulping noises. They just jumped in and saved him while the lifeguard continued to flirt with the girls.

Sadly I missed it all while I was at the toilet.. :P
Thats terrible :L

This has happened to me tbh (OH HAHAHAHAHAHAH NO ;l) well I drowned and the lifeguard WAS watching me... this random kid saved me (HAHAHAHAHAHAHA NO ;l) it was a **** experience and I missed Pizza Hut coz I had to go home.

Kieran
29-06-2010, 08:28 PM
Wouldn't catch that happening when I was a lifeguard... I jumped in a number of times to rescue little kids.

Special
29-06-2010, 08:37 PM
ugh lifeguards are always really annoying. i got stung by a jellyfish in spain once and they did nothing about it lol just watched as my friends & family sorted the problem

Sharon
29-06-2010, 08:41 PM
Wouldn't catch that happening when I was a lifeguard... I jumped in a number of times to rescue little kids.

WHERE WERE YOU WHEN I DROWNED.

It's really bad tbh. They don't do **** all but sit in their chair all day shouting at kids to get out the pool.

Kieran
29-06-2010, 08:47 PM
WHERE WERE YOU WHEN I DROWNED.

It's really bad tbh. They don't do **** all but sit in their chair all day shouting at kids to get out the pool.

Pfft... don't know where you go swimming. Wouldn't catch that where I used to work. We were on the ball!

Muct
29-06-2010, 09:00 PM
We were on the ball!
Triangle**

And I hate lifeguards like this, once I nearly drowned when I was 5 in the swimming baths and they were just there like 'Ummm hmm huniB...' (Well, not exactly but you get me right?) and my sister had to jump in for me!

Kieran
29-06-2010, 09:02 PM
The bad thing is, pretty much anyone can become a lifeguard and you only need to be able to swim one length.... it is pretty ridiculous... luckily for people I lifeguarded for I've spent most of my life in water so was a strong swimmer and knew what I was doing and I had every qualification possible to do with lifesaving and lifeguarding including being able to teach people :)

Muct
29-06-2010, 09:03 PM
The bad thing is, pretty much anyone can become a lifeguard and you only need to be able to swim one length.... it is pretty ridiculous... luckily for people I lifeguarded for I've spent most of my life in water so was a strong swimmer and knew what I was doing and I had every qualification possible to do with lifesaving and lifeguarding including being able to teach people :)

With your strong... strong arms, Kieran?
And really, only 1 lenght? :/

Kieran
29-06-2010, 09:10 PM
With your strong... strong arms, Kieran?
And really, only 1 lenght? :/

Yes seriously... the only strength swimming I had to do was one length in a certain time towing a body.

Muct
29-06-2010, 09:16 PM
Yes seriously... the only strength swimming I had to do was one length in a certain time towing a body.
Omg this is like, life-saving jobs, they should up the requirements MAJORLY... Should be able to dive pretty well and swim underwater with ease and everything!

Kieran
29-06-2010, 09:18 PM
Omg this is like, life-saving jobs, they should up the requirements MAJORLY... Should be able to dive pretty well and swim underwater with ease and everything!

You have to do those tests in your initial lifeguard exam but in renewal tests its just a simple one length really. And the initial exam certainly isn't hard.

Muct
29-06-2010, 09:20 PM
You have to do those tests in your initial lifeguard exam but in renewal tests its just a simple one length really. And the initial exam certainly isn't hard.
Maybe not hard for you, you strong man... :O
jks... Ermmm, I wondered why all lifeguards are crap, that's why? :/ They're all fat teens where I live now (No offence anyone) And I'm like...
How did he pass? If he jumps in theres gonna be a castaway! (The ladder things are really high here!)

Kieran
29-06-2010, 09:21 PM
Maybe not hard for you, you strong man... :O
jks... Ermmm, I wondered why all lifeguards are crap, that's why? :/ They're all fat teens where I live now (No offence anyone) And I'm like...
How did he pass? If he jumps in theres gonna be a castaway! (The ladder things are really high here!)

I did wonder about how some people passed and were offered a job.

Muct
29-06-2010, 09:23 PM
I did wonder about how some people passed and were offered a job.

Some of them are too strict about letting me in the deep end, too... And when it comes to actually saving me they look like they're about to say 'Send me an invitation to this kids funeral' Like come on, I had to swim a full lenght just to get in the deep end once and then some kid nearly drowned and they didn't even twitch!

HotelUser
30-06-2010, 04:11 AM
Good on the father's part for making sure his son was safe, though. I'm not sure what kind of life guards don't realize when a swimmer is in peril :P

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!