PDA

View Full Version : UCAS 2010/11

Charlottay!
24-06-2010, 09:53 PM
Just returned back to college after study leave and now UCAS is been shoved down our throats.

Anyone else starting the whole process this time round?

cocaine
24-06-2010, 09:56 PM
wouldnt it be 2011/12? i would have thought that the UCAS stuff for 2010 would have been well under way..
and yeah schools starting to put together our UCAS stuff now (im hopefully going to uni in 2011)

Shar
24-06-2010, 10:04 PM
I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO
SCREAMS

alexxxxx
24-06-2010, 10:12 PM
I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO
SCREAMS

it's a really simple process guys.

just remember to spend A LOT of time on your personal statement. it's key, because all they have to look at is a list of subjects with ABCDEU written next to them and another list given by your teachers with projections and very few dry comments.

i'd really recommend spending hours over it and tweaking it so it sounds PERFECT because if you think you're on the borderline for what you want you are more likely to get an offer and it might give you more leeway if you miss out on your grades.

i did really badly in one of my subjects at AS and i have managed to get offers for things 2 grades above what i got last year (and i think i will meet them) and i think it was down to my PS.

Charlottay!
24-06-2010, 10:20 PM
nope its 10/11. Cause we apply in 2010 for 2011 starting.

Ive just started my first draft of my personal statement. got another 100 attempts to go

MrPinkPanther
25-06-2010, 07:53 AM
I agree with "alexxxxxx". Personal statement is key, if it's good then they will lower the grade boundaries and are a great deal more likely to make you an offer. One of my friends and I both applied for the same subject at Kings College and Cardiff, my offer for both of them was ABB whereas his was AAB because he'd rushed his personal statement. It makes a big difference and you'll regret it if it isn't perfect!

What I recommend you do is go on "Studential" and read all of the best personal statements for your subject. Think about them. Leave it a week and then start writing yours. That way you have an idea about what direction you should go in but they aren't fresh in your memory so you won't keep thinking about what they wrote and you won't end up plagiarising them!

Heres the link:
http://www.studential.com/personalstatements/

Hope that helps :)

Charlottay!
26-06-2010, 06:18 AM
+rep that site was really helpful.

Im hoping to apply for leeds. :D visiting nottingham uni today though

Shar
26-06-2010, 07:25 AM
it's a really simple process guys.

just remember to spend A LOT of time on your personal statement. it's key, because all they have to look at is a list of subjects with ABCDEU written next to them and another list given by your teachers with projections and very few dry comments.

i'd really recommend spending hours over it and tweaking it so it sounds PERFECT because if you think you're on the borderline for what you want you are more likely to get an offer and it might give you more leeway if you miss out on your grades.

i did really badly in one of my subjects at AS and i have managed to get offers for things 2 grades above what i got last year (and i think i will meet them) and i think it was down to my PS.
I meant course, but thanks for the advice!
I'm going to look at a uni today actually, looking at law but I don't know if that's the course for me.

alexxxxx
26-06-2010, 11:47 AM
+rep that site was really helpful.

Im hoping to apply for leeds. :D visiting nottingham uni today though

nottingham's great.

MrPinkPanther
26-06-2010, 12:08 PM
Apply to King's college, thats where all of the cool kids are going ^^

alexxxxx
26-06-2010, 12:28 PM
Apply to King's college, thats where all of the cool kids are going ^^

...if you're predicted 5A*s without including general studies.

jkjkjkjkjk

MrPinkPanther
26-06-2010, 12:34 PM
...if you're predicted 5A*s without including general studies.

jkjkjkjkjk

King's College has surprisingly low boundaries. Its a top 25 worldwide uni and "only" ABB ;D.

alexxxxx
26-06-2010, 12:37 PM
King's College has surprisingly low boundaries. Its a top 25 worldwide uni and "only" ABB ;D.

lol i need that for manchester.

Charlottay!
26-06-2010, 04:24 PM
Just got back from nottingham. i didnt like it all that much. top choice for me is lancaster.

alexxxxx
26-06-2010, 06:23 PM
Just got back from nottingham. i didnt like it all that much. top choice for me is lancaster.

im shocked.

Charlottay!
26-06-2010, 09:54 PM
The location and everythin was nice but like i wud be studying at the jubilee campus and id probs have accommodation at broadgate park which is a bit of a distance. if im gonna be at a campus uni id want to be on the main campus.

wasnt overly impressed by the degree either.

Samantha.
27-06-2010, 06:38 PM
Nottingham is a good uni :)
Personal statements are horrible, I started to write mine last week and i'm not getting very far!
I'm thinking about going to Birmingham but I really need to start going to open days :)

alexxxxx
27-06-2010, 06:43 PM
The location and everythin was nice but like i wud be studying at the jubilee campus and id probs have accommodation at broadgate park which is a bit of a distance. if im gonna be at a campus uni id want to be on the main campus.

wasnt overly impressed by the degree either.

:O it is a campus uni but it's only 10mins on the bus into the city centre. ;) Jubilee isn't too far, you could walk. but eh.

Shar
27-06-2010, 06:43 PM
I went to see City uni yesterday.
I would love to get into Kings but it's going to be tough.

Charlottay!
27-06-2010, 07:13 PM
for all my courses i need like AAB. defo wont get that with maths and further maths in my list.

Lancaster want ABB but i can submit 1 of the grades as 2 AS levels combined which im gonna be doing. will make my life a lil easier.

Back up is gonna be oxford brookes with BBC requirments

MrPinkPanther
27-06-2010, 08:17 PM
I would love to get into Kings but it's going to be tough.

Oooooo, what subject?

Hecktix
27-06-2010, 08:20 PM
It's quite true that the Personal Statement means everything, I got three B's last year after not trying too hard and I still got an offer from unis wanting AAA - mainly based on my personal statement my tutor and I believe so yeh spend loads of time on personal statements and my other advice is to get it done and sent as early as possible as unis will tend to reply to the early applications early, I know people who sent theirs near the deadline and had to wait months.

Charlottay!
27-06-2010, 09:00 PM
my college is making us all have our uni apps in for the medical deadline in october so all ours will be in early. hoping to have mine in by mid September.

Fehm
27-06-2010, 09:30 PM
Applying around now :) Off to Sheffield on Friday.. what uni's are you looking at?

Charlottay!
27-06-2010, 09:52 PM
sheffield, leeds, lancaster, Loughborough, keele and oxford brookes.

doing a pure potential thing at manchester uni nxt week 2

Fehm
27-06-2010, 10:43 PM
Nice :)

Anyone care to give us a sample of Personal Statements? Would it be a good idea to start now...?

kk.
27-06-2010, 11:11 PM
KCL nightlife I have heard is shockingly bad. That along with all London unis as well as costing a bomb lol.

It is 2011/2012, I'm pretty sure. Because you're applying for that year of uni, and I sure mines called 2010/2011 lol. I would recommend going on the student room and asking for help in the personal statement section. They give great tips. Keep getting teachers to check it over and over. Visit the ibis when you can too.

have fun, and hopefully, if I get the grades and if you do and if any of you apply, I'll see you at York!

alexxxxx
28-06-2010, 09:41 AM
my college is making us all have our uni apps in for the medical deadline in october so all ours will be in early. hoping to have mine in by mid September.

good idea, earlier offers and maybe nicer offers too. plus you can get your application for halls in early too!

kk.
28-06-2010, 10:48 AM
good idea, earlier offers and maybe nicer offers too. plus you can get your application for halls in early too!

Not really. Halls applications are different for each uni, but almost all if not all, will open them after everyones been given an offer, so after the deadline

Charlottay!
28-06-2010, 12:00 PM
and its 2010/11. we go nxt september which is in 2011.

waiting for my tutor to help me read through my personal statement

Samantha.
28-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Applying around now :) Off to Sheffield on Friday.. what uni's are you looking at?

I'm looking at Sheffield Hallam, Birmingham, Staffordshire, Bolton, De montford and York

Charlottay!
28-06-2010, 12:05 PM
nice choices sam. sheffield is a really nice city and my best mate wants to go to birminghammm

Samantha.
28-06-2010, 12:08 PM
Sheffield has really good night life too :')
For those uni's and for the course that I want to do I need like BBC

Charlottay!
28-06-2010, 12:14 PM
yea it is sam! west street tis really good

kk.
28-06-2010, 12:14 PM
and its 2010/11. we go nxt september which is in 2011.

waiting for my tutor to help me read through my personal statement

the uni year spans across 2011/2012, not 2010.trust me, ive been through the system twice now, 09/10, and 10/11.

Samantha.
28-06-2010, 12:30 PM
Does anyone know any good uni's that they could recommand to me that do Media and Photography combined or joint honors? :)

kk.
28-06-2010, 12:46 PM
Does anyone know any good uni's that they could recommand to me that do Media and Photography combined or joint honors? :)

http://extras.thetimes.co.uk/gooduniversityguide/subjects/communication-and-media-studies - you may have to sign up to the site

top 10 are according to league rankings:
Warwick
Leicester
Sheffield
Loughborough
Southampton
Kings
Queen Mary
Cardiff
Goldsmiths
East Anglia

Callum.
28-06-2010, 12:51 PM
What kind of things did people put on their personal statements? I actually do nothing at school accept get pretty good grades :(

Samantha.
28-06-2010, 12:51 PM
http://extras.thetimes.co.uk/gooduniversityguide/subjects/communication-and-media-studies - you may have to sign up to the site

top 10 are according to league rankings:
Warwick
Leicester
Sheffield
Loughborough
Southampton
Kings
Queen Mary
Cardiff
Goldsmiths
East Anglia

Thanks, i'll look into them
+rep

kk.
28-06-2010, 12:54 PM
What kind of things did people put on their personal statements? I actually do nothing at school accept get pretty good grades :(

in mine, i wrote about what i do in spare time, so like designing, sports etc. working at weekends, extra curricular. but most importantly, you put a lot of focus on why you want to study that subject. why it interests you, and what you want to do with the degree

no matter what though, do not mention any university :P

Angel-Light
28-06-2010, 02:56 PM
in mine, i wrote about what i do in spare time, so like designing, sports etc. working at weekends, extra curricular. but most importantly, you put a lot of focus on why you want to study that subject. why it interests you, and what you want to do with the degree

no matter what though, do not mention any university :P

On extension to why you want to study that subject, mention any work experience you may have done in that area of degree (I was applying to do an Education degree so mentioned my work experience as a classroom assistant :))

Also it will be UCAS 2011/2010, as I start back in September with it being 2010/2011 on my module grades website ;)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!