PDA

View Full Version : Unfiltering an acronym.

MrPinkPanther
25-06-2010, 02:41 PM
Shouldn't HBXF unfilter a certain word now that Habbo are using it in headlines?
http://i45.tinypic.com/2itr4lz.png

Credit to Saurav for this:
http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=652038&p=6561746#post6561746

Sameer!
25-06-2010, 02:49 PM
Guess so but people could start abusing it.

xxMATTGxx
25-06-2010, 02:59 PM
Habbo are using it in a different context compared to what most people on this forum would use.

Stryderman
Tbh theres no real reason why it should be unfiltered its got the "f" word in which is filtered all over the forum

Calvin
Guess so but people could start abusing it.How can they abuse the word 'wtf'?

And yeah, it shouldn't really be filtered in the first place.. :S

Stryderman
25-06-2010, 03:02 PM
^ yh it should like i said the last letter stands for a word which is filtered if u unfilter the word in OP then you could argue to unfilter the f word?

Calvin
25-06-2010, 03:07 PM
Who cares if it has a swear word in it, **** obviously wouldn't be unfiltered but theres no point filtering silly abbreviations like this because they aren't considered offensive or anything.

xxMATTGxx
25-06-2010, 03:09 PM
Who cares if it has a swear word in it, **** obviously wouldn't be unfiltered but theres no point filtering silly abbreviations like this because they aren't considered offensive or anything.

Most of them got unfiltered once, then there was an uproar when users were being punished for avoiding the filter with other words and complained that people got away with it with ***** etc.

Calvin
25-06-2010, 03:10 PM
Well maybe you should check what it means before warning users?

xxMATTGxx
25-06-2010, 03:12 PM
Well maybe you should check what it means before warning users?

I know what *** means. We have said time and time again we don't want to let users swear on the forum as it makes the place look untidy and what not.

Calvin
25-06-2010, 03:17 PM
I know what *** means. We have said time and time again we don't want to let users swear on the forum as it makes the place look untidy and what not.Would be nice for a no filter option then.

xxMATTGxx
25-06-2010, 03:19 PM
Would be nice for a no filter option then.

I'm not sure if that is even possible. If there's an add-on for it, then we won't be installing that I'm afraid.

Reason behind it:

People don't need to swear on the forum, it is unnecessary. If you want to make a point with something, then there is other words you can use. Although the way Habbo is using it is for a different context. It would also cause moderation issues which we don't want either.

Nemo
25-06-2010, 03:26 PM
I know what *** means. We have said time and time again we don't want to let users swear on the forum as it makes the place look untidy and what not.
How does *** look any different from wth? I understand perhaps **** as its the full word and can look untidy, but *** is hardly that. Also, if you wanna bring up the case of younger people learning swear words, if they know what the f is then they knew how to swear anyway.

Calvin
25-06-2010, 03:27 PM
I'm not sure if that is even possible. If there's an add-on for it, then we won't be installing that I'm afraid.

Reason behind it:

People don't need to sear on the forum, it is unnecessary. If you want to make a point with something, then there is other words you can possible use. Although the way Habbo is using it, is for a different context. It would also cause moderation issues which we don't want either.w t f(riday)

But yeah, I know people don't need to swear but there is no point of it being filtered as it isn't offensive, if they said 'what the f' then obviously they'll face the consequences. But I guess your main audience is kids so there you go.

xxMATTGxx
25-06-2010, 03:27 PM
How does *** look any different from wth? I understand perhaps **** as its the full word and can look untidy, but *** is hardly that. Also, if you wanna bring up the case of younger people learning swear words, if they know what the f is then they knew how to swear anyway.

What the hell looks a lot better than ***. I wasn't even going to bring up the younger argument, I'm just saying there is not going be an on/off function for the filter.

Nemo
25-06-2010, 03:29 PM
What the hell looks a lot better than ***. I wasn't even going to bring up the younger argument, I'm just saying there is not going be an on/off function for the filter.
Im not typing what the hell or what the **** though, we're talking about abbreviations here, and personally, i dont see the trouble between 2 letters. It can't even be used in an offensive way and if people are like YEH BUT I CAN SWEAR HERE WHY NOT THERE, just tell em to shut up if im honest. Oh and i dont mind having an on/off function, i dont really care massively about swearing, i just find it a bit silly (which kind of voids my post but yeh ^^, i guess i like to argue :()

Hecktix
25-06-2010, 03:30 PM

Reason behind it:

People don't need to swear on the forum, it is unnecessary. If you want to make a point with something, then there is other words you can use. Although the way Habbo is using it is for a different context. It would also cause moderation issues which we don't want either.

Matt's pretty much summed up the arguments against taking these abbreviations out of the filter and turning off the filter would be a logistical nightmare.

Whilst we allow filter avoidance in context, for example saurav avoided the W T F to post the thread in news & rumours - this is perfectly acceptable but it's not something we are going to permit forumwide and this decision will not change, sorry guys!

GommeInc
25-06-2010, 03:54 PM
We only have them (re)filtered because Sammeth had kittens and power abused. He had 2 points against blocking them and a few of us had one which were all countered, but obviously his head was bigger than his brain so he went with our one point proven wrong against his two points proven wrong. Avoiding the filter vs. rudeness and swearing. They do avoid the filter (where I and a few others were wrong), but he and a few others were proven drastically wrong, because they are not swearing nor rude.

Abbreviations are not a form of swearing, never have been, never will. When they were unfiltered they were perfectly fine, it was like reading Facebook or a normal forum where communcation is free (without appearing rude, and abbreviations are certainly NOT rude OR appearing as swear words, because they're not swearing). The only thing they do is border breaking the "avoiding the filter" rule, though avoiding the filter usually is with regards with whole words and not words that are abbreviations.

My 2 cents.

Tintinnabulate
25-06-2010, 03:59 PM
We only have them (re)filtered because Sammeth had kittens and power abused ... obviously his head was bigger than his brain so

Couldn't agree more. I don't mind if its unfiltered really.

GommeInc
25-06-2010, 04:01 PM
Couldn't agree more. I don't mind if its unfiltered really.
It's how the "kids" speak nowadays. They're not intentionally being rude and they're certainly not swearing, and I bet they're not intentionally "avoiding the filter", seeing as it is common to speak like that. Surely we should be going by intentions, and not mindless systematic responses of " it R avoiding"?

Grig
25-06-2010, 04:40 PM
When I first saw something filtered on the news feed I was like WHAT lol, then I realized it was that and it was filtered on the forum. Maybe unfilter it for the Habbo UK News forum only or something?

Hecktix
25-06-2010, 04:41 PM
When I first saw something filtered on the news feed I was like WHAT lol, then I realized it was that and it was filtered on the forum. Maybe unfilter it for the Habbo UK News forum only or something?

The filter can be avoided (like Saurav did when posting it) in contexts like this :)

Recursion
25-06-2010, 05:08 PM
Habbo don't mean it in a different way at all, and even if they do, everyone in their heads probably say the F word before their brain reacts to the (riday) bit.

They are talking about a help service on a friday, so the headline actually reads "What The **** Friday", people are thinking "***??" when they don't get something, and Friday is the day they can ask, combining the two.

But I also agree with the fact it makes the forum look untidy, leave the swear filter in.

MrPinkPanther
25-06-2010, 05:09 PM
I don't really like swearing but I think that since Habbo is using it it should be acceptable in a certain context and I suppose like you say it is Oli. But I personally think it should be unfiltered and people should be punished for abusing it. For example if I called someone an idiot then my post would be edited for being rude, maybe the same rule could be applied for W T F? Despite what it stands for I don't think it can be used in a particuarly abusive way, as someone said it equates to "WTH" which is of course not filtered. You can't really tell someone to "W T F off", well you could but you'd look like a fool.

Anyway I don't really mind if it's filtered or not, I just thought I'd bring it up since I saw it on Habbo :).

Hecktix
25-06-2010, 05:54 PM
My main issue with this is that if we unfilter certain abbreviations people will want more unfiltered and there has to be a line drawn somewhere, I did disagree with them getting re-filtered last time although I did see the point.

General Management are also against it to my knowledge, but Idk - I was extremely for it when I became AFM but then all that kaffuffle happened with Sammeth & titch and it was just like woahhhh...

GommeInc
25-06-2010, 06:02 PM
My main issue with this is that if we unfilter certain abbreviations people will want more unfiltered and there has to be a line drawn somewhere, I did disagree with them getting re-filtered last time although I did see the point.

General Management are also against it to my knowledge, but Idk - I was extremely for it when I became AFM but then all that kaffuffle happened with Sammeth & titch and it was just like woahhhh...
That was such a pointless argument - titch only wanted to know what the rules were regarding it. No line was drawn, but apparently everyone crossed the line and all hell broke loose! Besides, there is no line with abbreviations. OM.F.G is fine, it's only really bad when people spell out swear words claiming they're abbreviations.

xxMATTGxx
25-06-2010, 06:04 PM
I hope you enjoy the fancy words from now on. ;)

GommeInc
25-06-2010, 06:07 PM
Well slap me thrice and hand me to my mumma :O

Hecktix
25-06-2010, 06:07 PM
That was such a pointless argument - titch only wanted to know what the rules were regarding it. No line was drawn, but apparently everyone crossed the line and all hell broke loose! Besides, there is no line with abbreviations. OM.F.G is fine, it's only really bad when people spell out swear words claiming they're abbreviations.

Yes, you are right. Oh, I forgot **** - will remove that too.

xxMATTGxx
25-06-2010, 06:09 PM
Well slap me thrice and hand me to my mumma :O

Sure! :P

Nixt
25-06-2010, 06:11 PM
wtf they're letting us use abbreviations. this is insane.

Hecktix
25-06-2010, 06:14 PM

lmfao garion :S

xxMATTGxx
25-06-2010, 06:18 PM

omfg this is crazy!!!

Tintinnabulate
25-06-2010, 06:18 PM

WTF. STOP POINTLESS POSTING OR I WILL REPORT U.
[caps off]

GommeInc
25-06-2010, 06:20 PM
WTF. STOP POINTLESS POSTING OR I WILL REPORT U.
[caps off]
OMFG. LEAVE MODERATING TO THE MODERATORS. WTF?
FYL :P

/caps

Awww, so many flips and flippings :D

Martin
25-06-2010, 06:21 PM
will somebody tell me wtf is happening? :'( Are these words allowed now? or are you all just messin? -Is confused-

xxMATTGxx
25-06-2010, 06:21 PM
will somebody tell me wtf is happening? :'( Are these words allowed now? or are you all just messin? -Is confused-

Read the latest Dev announcement and you will find out and no it isn't a joke!

Martin
25-06-2010, 06:22 PM
omfg that's great :D I didn't see that announcement. ;)

Hecktix
25-06-2010, 06:22 PM
omfg like fml i have to go out now.

Glad this change seems liked :D I have a few more up my sleeve for sunday :D

Tintinnabulate
25-06-2010, 06:24 PM
Sammeth says: FML

He is probs fuming right now.

GommeInc
25-06-2010, 06:34 PM
Bolt mentioned FF.S in the moderator questions/help forum. That's a pretty harmless one, and probably more harmless than WTF :P

Tintinnabulate
25-06-2010, 06:35 PM
Bolt mentioned FF.S in the moderator questions/help forum. That's a pretty harmless one, and probably more harmless than WTF :P

oh so thats what he was referring to. yeah should be unfiltered

Inseriousity.
25-06-2010, 06:36 PM
lmfao at oli giving answers to questions that haven't even been asked yet :P

agreed with martin, that should be unfiltered too :)

Tintinnabulate
25-06-2010, 06:39 PM
lmfao at oli giving answers to questions that haven't even been asked yet :P

agreed with martin, that should be unfiltered too :)

what questions?

Inseriousity.
25-06-2010, 06:41 PM
what questions?

exactly, good to see your brain's working today.

it's the 'questions/queries about habbox' forum and no-one's asked anything and oli's making threads is what I was getting at. :P

Nemo
25-06-2010, 06:46 PM
We won? OMFG

Tintinnabulate
25-06-2010, 06:50 PM
exactly, good to see your brain's working today.

it's the 'questions/queries about habbox' forum and no-one's asked anything and oli's making threads is what I was getting at. :P

i thought u meant in this thread
yeah lol i pointed it out via VM to him

he probs meant to me it in Mods only forum

Martin
25-06-2010, 07:05 PM
Have moved that thread now. :P I was thinking Gomme had access to the mod only forums for a minute then and got a little worried I was being stalked, since I didn't notice it was in the wrong place either. :D

GommeInc
25-06-2010, 07:06 PM
Have moved that thread now. :P I was thinking Gomme had access to the mod only forums for a minute then and got a little worried I was being stalked, since I didn't notice it was in the wrong place either. :D
Heavens no, I stalk you through other things ;)

Inseriousity.
25-06-2010, 07:12 PM
Heavens no, I stalk you through other things ;)

psst he works in a tesco, bakery...

LOL aww bless oli, he must be tired managing this forum if he's posting in the questions/queries about Habbox. I mean, they're not even close!

GommeInc
25-06-2010, 07:20 PM
*cough*
I know... ;) I have a picture of him standing straight with his hands on his hips, and a baguette placed on a table infront of him pointing out from his crotch. It gives me much pleasure ;)
*end cough*

MrPinkPanther
25-06-2010, 07:21 PM
OMFG I can't believe this is happening, WTF why couldn't it have happened before I grew up and stopped swearing unless I hurt myself (which is quite often ^^). FML.

High five Oli.

Inseriousity.
25-06-2010, 07:23 PM
*cough*
I know... ;) I have a picture of him standing straight with his hands on his hips, and a baguette placed on a table infront of him pointing out from his crotch. It gives me much pleasure ;)
*end cough*

lolol he used to work in the fish counter but a piece of cod placed on the table didn't quite work as well tbh :(

anyway, yeah this new update thing... it's good.

MrPinkPanther
25-06-2010, 07:30 PM

omfg this is crazy!!!

Edited by MrPinkPanther (Forum Nobody): Please do not avoid the filter in line with the HabboxForum rules which you agreed to when you signed up

http://www.habboxforum.com/faq.php?s=&do=search&q=swearing&titleandtext=1&match=all

Mathew
25-06-2010, 09:19 PM
Edited by MrPinkPanther (Forum Nobody): Please do not avoid the filter in line with the HabboxForum rules which you agreed to when you signed up

http://www.habboxforum.com/faq.php?s=&do=search&q=swearing&titleandtext=1&match=all

lmfao.

I don't really swear so it didn't matter either way to me, but I do think in today's society, these words are losing their meaning.
Oh, and I do love the latest Competitions Staff Changes (http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=652114&p=6562438) showcasing these new acronyms.. :P

Warchamp7
25-06-2010, 09:24 PM
What the friday is wrong with using wtf?

GommeInc
25-06-2010, 09:40 PM
No-one frigging knows. Hopefully we'll get a response from a freakin' admin though :P

MrPinkPanther
25-06-2010, 09:43 PM
I'm tempted to request a name change to FML now.

Calvin
25-06-2010, 10:25 PM
LOL Mike, legend!

Hecktix
25-06-2010, 10:26 PM

LOL aww bless oli, he must be tired managing this forum if he's posting in the questions/queries about Habbox. I mean, they're not even close!

ah but when you type "mod" into the address bar both comes up and forum moderators only is usually the first :'(

Tintinnabulate
25-06-2010, 10:29 PM
ah but when you type "mod" into the address bar both comes up and forum moderators only is usually the first :'(

rename it to:

sauravisgreat Forum Moderators Only

that way you will always get the right forum for sure in the future

Recursion
25-06-2010, 10:30 PM
WTF. Unneeded change :(

Hecktix
25-06-2010, 10:31 PM
WTF. Unneeded change :(

It's not much difference either way, it's not blatent swearing and if I'm honest seeing *** all over pisses me off, and I do like to say FML.

The Professor
25-06-2010, 10:52 PM
Slippery slope is slippery. Past mistakes don't seemed to be learned from.

If it goes breasts up, I called it.

Hecktix
25-06-2010, 10:53 PM

I have quite strong values when it comes to swearing here, I don't mind the acronyms but that's quite simply where it stops and there's no discussing that as far as I'm concerned and I think a lot of people agree.

hah
25-06-2010, 11:13 PM
hey guys i just got infracted for saying i word i thought was unfiltered
why wasn't it made clear lol?

jkes great change oli x

Stephen
25-06-2010, 11:27 PM
wtf omfg fml lmfao

Edited by Catzsy (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not make pointless posts.

GommeInc
25-06-2010, 11:37 PM

What past mistake? The last time abbreviations were unfiltered it worked well. No-one knows why they we re-filtered, someone asked what the ruling was and apparently that means "over-stepping the line".

Camy
26-06-2010, 01:54 AM
I think this was a good decision, the acronyms unfiltered are pretty commonly used ones, and aren't really offensive.
It's as far as swearing should go though, any more isn't needed.

Grig
26-06-2010, 05:28 AM
What past mistake? The last time abbreviations were unfiltered it worked well. No-one knows why they we re-filtered, someone asked what the ruling was and apparently that means "over-stepping the line".

There was a whole inncident with Sammeth and Titch, where Titch got warned and made a whole big deal out of some things being filtered, whilst others not and saying all things should be filtered. Sammeth decided to do so.

Inseriousity.
26-06-2010, 06:29 AM

If it goes breasts moobs up, I called it.

I don't think it'll be a slippery slope if the forum moderators put a carpet down* (nice analogy eh?). lolol reminds me of those lessons in school "how fast will this car go down the slope with a) bubble wrap, b) carpet etc."

in other words, they put some rules down, which I think they already have. It's really hard to put these abbreviations into a context that allows it to break the other rules imo

MrPinkPanther
26-06-2010, 08:56 AM
I'm bored of these now, can we filter them again? ^^

Catzsy
26-06-2010, 09:15 AM
I'm bored of these now, can we filter them again? ^^

Lol:) Just wait and see if the members are happy with it or if it's a case of them posting threads in the weeks to come to to try and extend it further. They are the most harmless forms of swearing and it's correct to say that they couldn't be used to be rude to people so see how it goes.

GommeInc
26-06-2010, 02:10 PM
There was a whole inncident with Sammeth and Titch, where Titch got warned and made a whole big deal out of some things being filtered, whilst others not and saying all things should be filtered. Sammeth decided to do so.
And we witnessed it. He (Titch) asked what the ruling was and our dear old EX-General Manager went on some power hungry spree and re-filtered them pointlessly, with no reason :/other than "people were given an inch and took a mile", yet there was no evidence of this as again, all that happened was a member asking (quite politely) what the rules are regarding them, even though there are rules to ensure rudeness and bullying do not happen. Thankfully, he's gone now.

Lol:) Just wait and see if the members are happy with it or if it's a case of them posting threads in the weeks to come to to try and extend it further. They are the most harmless forms of swearing and it's correct to say that they couldn't be used to be rude to people so see how it goes.
I love you sometimes ;)

Adamm
26-06-2010, 02:22 PM
what about f f s?

GommeInc
26-06-2010, 02:31 PM
what about f f s?
I think *** was unfiltered? Bolt was discussing it at some point in another thread. Not sure *posts*

EDIT: No :P

Martin
26-06-2010, 02:31 PM
has been mentioned (http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=652045&p=6562444#post6562444), but yeah I would like to see that one get unfiltered too, as it's very similar (if not less harmless) than the others, and is used a lot these days.

Will ask Oliva when he gets back for yous. xD

Hecktix
26-06-2010, 05:56 PM
*** I forgot ***, consider it doneee (:

Recursion
27-06-2010, 08:42 AM
offs. More being unfiltered?!

Bored of these now LOL, the asterisks added a certain... je ne sais quoi to posts :P

MrPinkPanther
27-06-2010, 09:10 AM
offs. More being unfiltered?!

Bored of these now LOL, the asterisks added a certain... je ne sais quoi to posts :P

It shows how angry you are. I might just start putting stars in for the hell of it.

FlyingJesus
27-06-2010, 11:07 AM
I'm away for two days...

In my view abbreviated swearing is still swearing because unless it's an abbreviation which has become a word in itself (lol, PETA, and so on) I read it as the phrase rather than the lettering. Also it wasn't pointlessly refiltered as part of a power trip before, it was done because Garion had been rash in his decision to unfilter them and had to my memory made odd choices on what should and shouldn't still on the filter.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!